1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-01, 15:28   Link #161
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1 View Post
I'm anime-only, and that's the big issue I have with the series. I don't hate Tatsuya, I think he's an interesting MC and I don't mind he's OP. But they grasp every opportunity they can to sing his praise. That got old after 3 eps, by now it's simply annoying. And because it's so unnecessary, it hampers the flow of the story. The time could've been used so much better, by fleshing out the other characters or background on the setting. A bit more insight into the educational system would've been nice too, instead the LN-readers had to fill in the gap.

I get the impression that a lot of LN-readers feel insulted when the anime is criticized. But this is the anime thread, discussing the good and the bad points of an episode is a normal thing to do here.
This is pretty much how I feel too. Tbh, while I do think there are some issues with the siblings' characterisation in itself, most of it would not be an issue (or even be very interesting) if time wasn't wasted on singing the Hail Shiba for most of the episodes.
I've heard a lot of people say that supposedly the siblings have a lot of serious issues and aren't just shallow wish fulfilment characters. I can believe that, but the anime isn't conveying it- neither visually nor via the dialogue and interactions.
There is a lot of potential: Tatsuya does not have emotions, Miyuki seems like she could well be mentally disturbed, the way she acts.
(Before someone feels insulted and hurt, this is not a bad thing should be obvious)
If this is the case, people should not be universally jumping onto the love!shiba train. At least some should feel, for example, inexplicably uneasy around Tatsuya, while others would not pick up on it and admire him because he's a genius and charismatic which attracts them.

Miyuki, if her behaviour for example genuinely creeped people out (such as during the bus scene.) and they thought of her as "sweet, but something's wrong with her", it would make so much more sense.
She would also be interesting instead of coming across bland and pointless.

Or, at the very least, it could be made clear to the audience that you're not necessarily supposed to think of them in a positive light a la Light Yagami.
At least to me, that would make a lot more sense, instead of just wasting all of their potential.

If that's not possible and the main cast has to remain universally adored, okay. But at least use the time on world building, character development etc.
Old 2014-06-01, 16:27   Link #162
Anime299

Imagine if a member of Seal Team 6 went back to college after leaving the service and joined the ROTC at the college (we can surmise a CIA connection, perhaps, due to potential 'external threats' to the school). Talk about OP... We're talking anime vs reality, but weapons classes, leadership classes, tactics. Just sayin'. no one could come close. Campus intrigue, jealousy, what could possibly affect him, compared to what he's experienced? He just sees (comparatively) a bunch of young kids playing at soldier as they try and grow up. Now, having a beautiful younger sister on campus at the same time? - whoa, baby!!! Pity 'da fools!!!

Last edited by Anime299; 2014-06-01 at 16:29. Reason: General text editing
Old 2014-06-01, 16:54   Link #163
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
I can tell it's a bit more lit up, but nothing else. Could you clarify?
They're just making it obvious that the entire accident has probably been caused by magic (the lighting suggests that magic has been applied to the wheel to make it go bust), as has been pointed out earlier.

Obvious, I know, but I thought it was a decent example of "show, not tell."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
If this is the case, people should not be universally jumping onto the love!shiba train. At least some should feel, for example, inexplicably uneasy around Tatsuya, while others would not pick up on it and admire him because he's a genius and charismatic which attracts them.
It's there in the show (though I would guess that you still see it as being inadequate).

Three examples from the first arc: Mizuki in episode 1, Leo re: his refusal to be compassionate towards Sayaka and Sayaka herself when Tatsuya declared that he was going to wipe out Blanche for his own personal reasons. Are there people who feel uneasy around him all the time? Perhaps - but we probably wouldn't see them because they wouldn't hang out with Tatsuya as Erika et al do, and in their case, the occasions where they are unsettled by him are balanced out by the fun and camaraderie they have when they hang out together.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah. My own point is that if someone wants to talk about the difference between "told" and "shown" with regards to Tatsuya's emotion, well, there's room.
Must admit, I'm not sure how they can show the difference between "I don't feel hatred" and "I am incapable of feeling hatred"... Any suggestions?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-06-01 at 18:27.
Old 2014-06-01, 18:52   Link #164
rladls2121

"I am incaplable of feeling hatred" is how I took the meaning when Tatsuya said that though.

I think most of the people that are uneasy around him are that rating him very lowly.

Just like that butler Aoki, he did not think that Tatsuya was even there, so he brushed off as a noname bodyguard.

Also Morisaki, he said to Tatsuya episode 2 that he does not approve him and in episode 3 do not think overestimate himself being a "Weed".

And in this episode, some of the females said during only Tatsuya is the only male there at that time, she wants a female engineer and other one said as long as Tatsuya does his work then she is okay with it.
I do not know if these females are joking are not, in truth.
Old 2014-06-01, 19:33   Link #165
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
"I am incaplable of feeling hatred" is how I took the meaning when Tatsuya said that though.

I think most of the people that are uneasy around him are that rating him very lowly.

Just like that butler Aoki, he did not think that Tatsuya was even there, so he brushed off as a noname bodyguard.

Also Morisaki, he said to Tatsuya episode 2 that he does not approve him and in episode 3 do not think overestimate himself being a "Weed".

And in this episode, some of the females said during only Tatsuya is the only male there at that time, she wants a female engineer and other one said as long as Tatsuya does his work then she is okay with it.
I do not know if these females are joking are not, in truth.
We have seen what is required to do a full in depth CAD calibration when he did one on Miyuki, wanting a female technician is in no way questioning his skills but more a question of modesty. The other comment basically shows she was unsure of his skills but was fine with the situation. Neither were nearly as rude as Honoka implied they were which prompted them to tease her about being his girlfriend.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2014-06-01, 19:55   Link #166
rladls2121

Then I'm wrong then. And also misunderstood.

Tatsuya's and Miyuki's father, this character is out of place, all he said to Tatsuya is not to hate his mother, but then it might be true that Tatsuya is hating his mother, but I think only hating his mother is lacking, what can he do for everyone right now is the another question though.
The position Tatsuya is in, and the action he can take in that condition, knowing Tatsuya, he is always fore seeing whatever being thrown at him and the surrounding people.

Someone said Tatsuya is a Robocop.
At this rate, Tatsuya's character is really going to be seen as a robot.
Old 2014-06-01, 21:56   Link #167
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I just wish they animated the 'clapping scene' better by showing the upstairs is clapping too, just not the course 1 students.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2014-06-01, 22:51   Link #168
rladls2121

Exactly, that scene made me think, is only Tatsuya's classmates and friends are only clapping?
Old 2014-06-01, 23:27   Link #169
HandofFate

Yea, the clapping scene was lacking.
Erika and Tatsuya's course 2 class-mates came in and took the prime front row seats to the annoyance of the course 1 students, and started the clapping after Tatsuya's name was called, to which the Mayumi and Co. joined into clapping, and the rest were like "whatever" and joined in on the clapping.
Old 2014-06-02, 00:41   Link #170
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
edit:

Must admit, I'm not sure how they can show the difference between "I don't feel hatred" and "I am incapable of feeling hatred"... Any suggestions?
That's not the problem. The problem is that he's shown having, if not hatred, contained but intense anger. As well as a variety of other emotions, even if he's not very expansive about it. Which puts the lie to his inability to feel them.

Or maybe he's just pretending to have emotions.
Old 2014-06-02, 01:12   Link #171
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
That's not the problem. The problem is that he's shown having, if not hatred, contained but intense anger. As well as a variety of other emotions, even if he's not very expansive about it. Which puts the lie to his inability to feel them.

Okay, mistook your point. But let's see, we've seen one instance of him being very angry - every other time where he might have been expected to get angry (Morisaki, Ep 2; Hattori, Ep 2; the incident with the butler this episode), he's been stoic instead. From what I can tell, that one instance (Ep 6) has been unusual, but with only one instance of it, there's really nothing that I can conclude.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-06-02 at 06:23.
Old 2014-06-02, 18:14   Link #172
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I like Mayumi much better in her "casual" outfit.
Old 2014-06-02, 19:20   Link #173
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I like Mayumi much better in her "casual" outfit.
Yeah it was hard to tell whether she tried to hit on him or was just trying to be charming there.

I am surprised she generally gets away with her summer dress though, considering how showing skin is against dress code .

Its in my opinion pretty obvious that Tatsuya's mother tried creating the perfect heir. I even suspect that he was given something like an internal CAD, maybe in form of his heart, since we saw that thing with the rebooting.

And a question for confirmation:
The vice president and that Suzaku Kugurugi look-alike are not the same person, right?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2014-06-02, 19:26   Link #174
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
And a question for confirmation:
The vice president and that Suzaku Kugurugi look-alike are not the same person, right?
Nope, he's in a different school and he has green eyes.
Old 2014-06-02, 22:40   Link #175
Anime299

Question What's going on

Quote:

Found this:

An interesting find on the emotion front –

“Blunted affect” is the scientific term describing a lack of emotional reactivity (affect display) on the part of an individual. It is manifest as a failure to express feelings either verbally or non-verbally, especially when talking about issues that would normally be expected to engage the emotions. Expressive gestures are rare and there is little animation in facial expression or vocal inflection. Conversely, there may be poor modulation of feelings as well, with reduced expression punctuated by periods of very strong expression, including laughing uncontrollably, crying inconsolably, and outbursts of anger.

Blunted affect can be symptomatic of schizophrenia, depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, or brain damage. It is also a common symptom of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome. “The difference between flat and blunted affect is in degree. A person with flat affect has no or nearly no emotional expression. He or she may not react at all to circumstances that usually evoke strong emotions in others. A person with blunted affect, on the other hand, has a significantly reduced intensity in emotional expression”. Individuals with blunted or flat affect show different regional brain activity when compared with healthy individuals.

Sounds like Tatsuya to me… The question becomes: Was he experimented on because he had this condition, and it couldn’t be cured, or was he ‘given’ this condition to be a more ‘effective’ family member?
Old 2014-06-03, 02:45   Link #176
kukuru

I think people see what they want to see, and dang it if there is anything that disproves that.

The anime alone is littered with hints and foreshadows, and yet people just want to say what they want to say and ignore what they want to ignore.

They don't care that this episode hinted Tatsuya is some kind of test tube like being, and made to be a stupid body guard of a VIP that is his own sister.

Or they don't care that he still a "fake magician" and from his own views incomplete and lacking.

So what they want to see is a character that they want to hate because it's unrealistic that a modified human of some sort is better then them. (Stay out of MC and stick to villains or sidekicks, you hippy new types!)
Old 2014-06-03, 14:18   Link #177
rladls2121

"New Types!"?

Tatsuya, "fake magician".
Even so, his understandings of magic are still real though.
I do not know if being a "fake magician" is cheating.
No wonder, he has to keep his information a secret.
Separating from Miyuki from going to school together is the one the biggesting things he does not want to lose.

Miyuki complaining in the bus how Tatsuya have to do things that are hassle to him, but then she did not see that coming, after all she was the one who begged to Tatsuya to take the role of an enginneer and I think Tatsuya has to bear with all the inconvience throwing at him.
Old 2014-06-03, 14:44   Link #178
millie10468

Quote:

Miyuki complaining in the bus how Tatsuya have to do things that are hassle to him, but then she did not see that coming, after all she was the one who begged to Tatsuya to take the role of an enginneer and I think Tatsuya has to bear with all the inconvience throwing at him.
It looks like there are two warring factions in Miyuki's Onii-sama filled brain: the part of her that wants her brother to gain recognition for his abilities, and the part of her that doesn't want him to suffer. It could explain why she's so quick to praise and talk him up when he'd obviously prefer to have less spotlight and why she's also quick to complain about circumstances that are unfavorable to him. Honestly, it looks like her mind has no space for anything other than her brother and that's part of what make people, and especially anime-only viewers, view her as a shallow one-dimensional character. As much as it pains me to admit, the anime hasn't done anything to prevent this characterization.

But it might hit an iceberg...
Old 2014-06-03, 17:46   Link #179
kukuru

Quote:
"New Types!"?

Tatsuya, "fake magician".
Even so, his understandings of magic are still real though.
I do not know if being a "fake magician" is cheating.
No wonder, he has to keep his information a secret.
Separating from Miyuki from going to school together is the one the biggesting things he does not want to lose.
It is heavily hinted(gloss over quickly in the anime, and down right spelt out in the novels previous to this episode)

Part of his ability is able to analyze, dissect and decompose magic structure/information. (Remember the flying talk...how Tatsuya pointed out the other researchers mistake...that's because he down right was able to decompose magic-his specialty sequence to test that theory himself likely)

So while he may or may not have gain that in the past artificially, he a tiny bit cheating when it comes to magic.

So Jesus Tatsuya is like reading a bible. As long as you're seeing the story through a glass lens you are going to obviously see super-tatsuya.
Old 2014-06-03, 18:11   Link #180
rladls2121

But then I'm seeing this "Jesus Tatsuya" or "Super Tatsuya" whatever some people calls him like that, it is still contradicting because that butler Aoki of all people calls him "fake magician".

To think even his analysis ability is also the part of "fake magician" ability.
So he got the top score on the "Paper Test" because not he was smart, it was actually his ability as a "fake magician".
Closed Thread