AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-09-29, 15:20   Link #141
Zoks

It's likely an age thing. Having someone following you around everywhere would raise some questions. Let's not forget Tatsuya got the job because they needed to keep him tied to the family somehow and his disposition. It's not like young Miyuki had no reason to assume they gave him the job so that he can have an official reason to stay close to the family.
Zoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 18:40   Link #142
Aciald

It's also possible the use of guardians isn't that widespread even among the yotsuba. Miya had one due to her health problems and the fact that she was the only magician in the world capable of mental interference magic. It is possible that guardians are usually assigned after the person in question is older. Evidence would be Minami. Under normal circumstances she likely wouldn't become a guardian for several more years.

In the end we still just don't have enough info on the yotsuba.
Aciald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 18:44   Link #143
IceHism

Perhaps the case of a guardian for miyuki is completely non-standard from other important yotsuba members. Tatsuya is simply too much of an outlier in the clan. They chained him to control him and sent minami also in hopes of possibly replacing him (though in the end, Tatsuya only listens to miyuki).

Maybe the kuroba family operate a bit differently from the main branch?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 19:15   Link #144
zerozeronine

Just find it odd that a heir candidate doesn't have a guardian and doing dangerous missions while Miyuki doesn't (Maya is being unfair! ).I was waiting for a combat butler to appear with the Twins when they went to the Shiba's house in vol 12
Hope author will flesh out more about the Yotsuba's and show more of the other family members that hasn't been in the series yet (wouldn't it be nice if a Yotsuba branch gets all rebellious to the main because their son/daughter didn't become the heir
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 20:04   Link #145
Zoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
Just find it odd that a heir candidate doesn't have a guardian and doing dangerous missions while Miyuki doesn't (Maya is being unfair! ).I was waiting for a combat butler to appear with the Twins when they went to the Shiba's house in vol 12
Hope author will flesh out more about the Yotsuba's and show more of the other family members that hasn't been in the series yet (wouldn't it be nice if a Yotsuba branch gets all rebellious to the main because their son/daughter didn't become the heir
Miyuki does the most important mission for the Yotsuba: she keeps Tatsuya placated.
Zoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 20:44   Link #146
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
I don't think they ever actually intended for Fumiya to have even a chance at becoming heir. It was mentioned that one of the reasons for operating on Tatsuya was to give him the ability to use magic like a normal magician so that he could be heir. When that failed Miyuki came along shortly after and took the role of heir/the person that chains Tatsuya to the family. From the start it appears that the two people with the true power in the clan, Maya/Miya, both intended from the start to have either Tatsuya/Miyuki as heir depending on how the operation went.

Despite being a "candidate" they were likely only backups and anyway from the wording when Maya mentions the other "candidates" missing out there must be other candidates despite just Miyuki/Fumiya so they likely have plenty of backups. It doesn't seem like Yotsuba magicians die very often.
somerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 21:03   Link #147
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerand View Post
I don't think they ever actually intended for Fumiya to have even a chance at becoming heir. It was mentioned that one of the reasons for operating on Tatsuya was to give him the ability to use magic like a normal magician so that he could be heir. When that failed Miyuki came along shortly after and took the role of heir/the person that chains Tatsuya to the family. From the start it appears that the two people with the true power in the clan, Maya/Miya, both intended from the start to have either Tatsuya/Miyuki as heir depending on how the operation went.

Despite being a "candidate" they were likely only backups and anyway from the wording when Maya mentions the other "candidates" missing out there must be other candidates despite just Miyuki/Fumiya so they likely have plenty of backups. It doesn't seem like Yotsuba magicians die very often.
At this point, the selection process is a formality anyway; Tatsuya may have mocked Aoki for it, but it's likely that is was already decided quite a while back. Anyway, I doubt that there's that many candidates; with the reduced numbers of the Yotsuba, I'd doubt that there's that many members in Tatsuya's and Miyuki's generation.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 21:19   Link #148
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
At this point, the selection process is a formality anyway; Tatsuya may have mocked Aoki for it, but it's likely that is was already decided quite a while back. Anyway, I doubt that there's that many candidates; with the reduced numbers of the Yotsuba, I'd doubt that there's that many members in Tatsuya's and Miyuki's generation.
From volume 8,I think from Maya's words it was only then that she decided that Miyuki will be the heir or could only be the heir just to control Tatsuya.

Maybe the Kuroba's combat butler will one day appear in the story (maybe he is like the Saegusa's combat butler,just appears to pick them up near the school or on missions)
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-29, 23:30   Link #149
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
Actually I don't think the dahan incident effected future generation numbers that much. For example:

"His female cousin, who was younger than him by a decade, was the next one who wished to orate.

"I, too, have a daughter; therefore, I too do not think of this as someone else's business. My daughter is not even old enough to go to school, but when I think of my child's future, I cannot overlook this meaningless tragedy."

Also

"Genzou-dono.

The one who opened his mouth was the eldest of his generation of those assembled there, Genzou's uncle"

Even genzous cousin who was 10 years younger than him had children by the time of the Dahan incident. I think most of the Yotsuba who went off to fight just like genzou, his uncle and cousin had already conceived children before going off and dying. So there should be plenty of people within the Yotsuba that are of Maya's/Miya's age and by extension Tatsuya/Miyuki's age but not many elders in the family around the age that Genzou and his cousins/uncles would've been.
Old 2014-09-29, 23:53   Link #150
Aciald

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerand View Post
Actually I don't think the dahan incident effected future generation numbers that much. For example:

"His female cousin, who was younger than him by a decade, was the next one who wished to orate.

"I, too, have a daughter; therefore, I too do not think of this as someone else's business. My daughter is not even old enough to go to school, but when I think of my child's future, I cannot overlook this meaningless tragedy."

Also

"Genzou-dono.

The one who opened his mouth was the eldest of his generation of those assembled there, Genzou's uncle"

Even genzous cousin who was 10 years younger than him had children by the time of the Dahan incident. I think most of the Yotsuba who went off to fight just like genzou, his uncle and cousin had already conceived children before going off and dying. So there should be plenty of people within the Yotsuba that are of Maya's/Miya's age and by extension Tatsuya/Miyuki's age but not many elders in the family around the age that Genzou and his cousins/uncles would've been.
It also says the Yotsuba lost half their fighting strength with 30 dead. So at the time of the nightmare you have 60 combat mages and at least as many non combat i would think (typically non combat would be more like 90 percent but lets say the Yotsuba are not the norm). According to the novels the Yotsuba have surpassed their combat strength of that time. Even considering Tatsuya, Miyuki, Fumiya, and Ayako are much stronger than previous generations, that still leaves at least 40 combat mages and as many more non combat.

As evidenced by the guy with the hat that took down the general and his staff in 13, I don't think we have met even 20 percent of the Yotsuba family yet.
Old 2014-09-29, 23:59   Link #151
chaosbeowulf

Speaking of guardians, does Maya have one, too? Would that be Hayama?
chaosbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 00:06   Link #152
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbeowulf View Post
Speaking of guardians, does Maya have one, too? Would that be Hayama?
Dunno, I imagine Maya as a neet that doesn't leave Yotsuba headquarters very often, if she does at all. Sitting around the mansion all day surrounded by countless butlers and other security she probably doesn't need a guardian. With her personality I wouldn't be surprised if she made an exception to the guardian rule for herself.

Last edited by somerand; 2014-09-30 at 00:18.
Old 2014-09-30, 08:53   Link #153
millie10468

The Yotsuba's rationalization for kicking Tatsuya out of the heir position was that he couldn't wield real magic, right? Was that a personal pride thing? Because I don't see how anyone outside the clan would have noticed that the heir didn't have strong magic if he had all the stuff he currently has.

While I can understand that course of action when he was younger and no one knew his capabilities, I can't understand why he wasn't reinstated, even as a "real" member of the family, after Okinawa. Miya, even in the face of MB, kept insisting that Tatsuya was useless since he wasn't a real magician, right? Was that just her pride talking? As in, she (the clan) never expected him to be that strong considering his limitations and therefore undermined everything he was able to accomplish in-spite of his limitations in order to uphold their retarded philosophy and feel like they weren't wrong in treating him like trash?

I'm really interested in Miya's POV. She couldn't possibly have been genuinely cold to her own son, right?

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-30, 09:17   Link #154
Aciald

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
The Yotsuba's rationalization for kicking Tatsuya out of the heir position was that he couldn't wield real magic, right? Was that a personal pride thing? Because I don't see how anyone outside the clan would have noticed that the heir didn't have strong magic if he had all the stuff he currently has.

While I can understand that course of action when he was younger and no one knew his capabilities, I can't understand why he wasn't reinstated, even as a "real" member of the family, after Okinawa. Miya, even in the face of MB, kept insisting that Tatsuya was useless since he wasn't a real magician, right? Was that just her pride talking? As in, she (the clan) never expected him to be that strong considering his limitations and therefore undermined everything he was able to accomplish in-spite of his limitations in order to uphold their retarded philosophy and feel like they weren't wrong in treating him like trash?

I'm really interested in Miya's POV. She couldn't possibly have been genuinely cold to her own son, right?
Miya is the only one that really harps on the real magic thing (well aside from Aoki but he is probably just being an ass). The problem is that Miyuki suspects Miya isn't working with a full deck.

Maya and Mitsugu seem to indicate that tatsuya's treatment is due to the fact they view him as extremely dangerous to the yotsuba. In the end I still consider the question of why the Yotsuba have treated Tatsuya the way they have as being unanswered.
Old 2014-09-30, 10:21   Link #155
Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post

For now, all we can do is guessing but here are my thoughts on that matter.

I think the main reason for him not being "reinstated" as a "real" Yotsuba member is pressure from the traditions of the Yotsuba clan. They have always been forefront with magic research, rumored to be older than most other clans so they may be too prideful to let him in.

Also, if the operation Miya had on him was successful, I bet he would have been the next successor to the Yotsuba, but since he has lost all loyalty to the clan, they may have though it was dangerous for an individual to access too much of the clans information. Hereby kicking him out to let him be Miyuki's guardian instead, his only emotional attachment.

Most members in Yotsuba I believe don't know the extent of his powers and those who know either admires him like the Kuroba twins, or fears him, which I think Maya does. He is like a walking bomb who has no attachment to the clan at all, would even sacrifice it for his goals. To let someone of that caliber into the clan would be risky.

For Miya, I think her knowing that Tatsuya would have no attachment whatsoever to her may have made her cold on purpose to avoid getting too emotionally attached to him.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 22:23   Link #156
Hiro Hayase

I would say Tatsuya's abilities are a "well guarded secret" even among the Yotsuba except the top people, as well and Fumiya and Ayako as they're part of the intelligence division in the side family. That's the only rational explanation I could think of for his poor treatment.

I really do wonder where Tatsuya learned all about his twisted wisdom? Was it someone from the 101st battalion or self-taught with cold reasoning as he grew up.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2015-02-26 at 00:42.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 23:11   Link #157
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
A would say Tatsuya's abilities are a "well guarded secret" even among the Yotsuba except the top people, as well and Fumiya and Ayako as they're part of the intelligence division in the side family. That's the only rational explanation I could think of for his poor treatment.

I really do wonder where Tatsuya learned all about his twisted wisdom? Was it someone from the 101st battalion or self-taught with cold reasoning as he grew up.

I thought he was already quite pragmatic as a young man if you go back to the Recollection volume. Going through the stuff he went through probably helped as well.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 00:41   Link #158
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
I thought he was already quite pragmatic as a young man if you go back to the Recollection volume. Going through the stuff he went through probably helped as well.
I read that, but I had to revisit the thought again when Maya commented "Just where on earth did he learn this twisted logic from?" to Hayama in volume 14. It made me laugh for some reason.