AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-10-06, 11:52   Link #141
Tenzen12

He definitely has feeling for Kanami, only question is whether they are romantic or not. And if you belive the aren't your guess is as good as anyone else. I myself am unable decide .
Old 2014-10-06, 21:41   Link #142
DQueenie13

Question.

Spoiler for vol8 material:
Old 2014-10-06, 22:12   Link #143
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
Question.

Spoiler for vol8 material:
According to loghorizon@wiki, it should be the former. "Vampire" is reserved for monsters instead.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 02:43   Link #144
crowsbeak

Hello. This is my first post ever on a forum, so forgive me if I break any rules. (Though I will try hard not to do so!)
My question:
Spoiler for Nureha:
I only ask because, for me, she is the best part of the entire Log Horizon universe, so I've been curious about this for a while now. I'm sorry for my ignorance, and thank you in advance to any and all replies.
crowsbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 05:29   Link #145
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsbeak View Post
Hello. This is my first post ever on a forum, so forgive me if I break any rules. (Though I will try hard not to do so!)
My question:
Spoiler for Nureha:
I only ask because, for me, she is the best part of the entire Log Horizon universe, so I've been curious about this for a while now. I'm sorry for my ignorance, and thank you in advance to any and all replies.
Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2014-10-31, 16:14   Link #146
crowsbeak

Thank you, DQueenie13! I hope this isn't troublesome, but I have two more questions... this time about season 1.

Spoiler for Season 1 Questions:

Sorry, but these things have been confusing me for a while so I thought I should ask here. Thank you all for reading my questions and being so kind as to respond.
crowsbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-31, 17:38   Link #147
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsbeak View Post
Thank you, DQueenie13! I hope this isn't troublesome, but I have two more questions... this time about season 1.

Spoiler for Season 1 Questions:

Sorry, but these things have been confusing me for a while so I thought I should ask here. Thank you all for reading my questions and being so kind as to respond.
Spoiler:
Old 2014-11-08, 08:49   Link #148
tuckersister

I wonder if the one responsible for the Apocalypse will be unveiled partially. I still think Shiroe knows something but isn't sure. Also, I hope we get to learn more of Shiroe's real family in a future novel.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 23:23   Link #149
HereticMagus

How many volumes have been released as of now? BT shows only seven, but I saw something about vol.8 in a forum. Did they stop the translations? If so, spoilers please.
HereticMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 23:49   Link #150
DQueenie13

The spoilers are in the Novels thread. You gotta dig. There's a partial/possibly inaccurate version on the Wiki as well.
Old 2014-11-29, 08:28   Link #151
tuckersister

I have a feeling that Shiroe knows more than he is letting on. I won't give a doubt that someone in his family was involved with the Apocalypse. We don't know too much about his family other than his parents.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 05:11   Link #152
Ringo*

Hello, I was wondering if it was mentioned what the food made with the Chef subclass does pre-Apocalypse? I mean, seeing as there are specific recipes for things that can be made through the menu, I'm assuming that there would be some gameplay benefits for this subclass, in a similar vein to how those with the Tailor subclass can make armor and how those with the Scribe subclass can make maps. Food is obviously sustenance post-Apocalypse, but I can't think of how it would benefit a player in a keyboard-and-mouse game pre-Apocalypse.
Ringo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 05:21   Link #153
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo* View Post
Hello, I was wondering if it was mentioned what the food made with the Chef subclass does pre-Apocalypse? I mean, seeing as there are specific recipes for things that can be made through the menu, I'm assuming that there would be some gameplay benefits for this subclass, in a similar vein to how those with the Tailor subclass can make armor and how those with the Scribe subclass can make maps. Food is obviously sustenance post-Apocalypse, but I can't think of how it would benefit a player in a keyboard-and-mouse game pre-Apocalypse.
I dont think food benefits were clearly explained, but we can posit differents cases:

- foods could provide buffs, the higher your skills the better buffs
- if we are going the old school MMORPG way the PC would consume food at regular interval, if you run out you will get malus (Everquest worked that way), having chef made stuff could make them last longer or gives you a few bonus.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 05:35   Link #154
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Let's not forget that food might also be used as recovery items too.

Signature by liro
Old 2014-12-18, 05:59   Link #155
Ringo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I dont think food benefits were clearly explained, but we can posit differents cases:

- foods could provide buffs, the higher your skills the better buffs
- if we are going the old school MMORPG way the PC would consume food at regular interval, if you run out you will get malus (Everquest worked that way), having chef made stuff could make them last longer or gives you a few bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Let's not forget that food might also be used as recovery items too.
Oh, I didn't think of that. I kind of thought that potions made using the Pharmacist subclass would cover the recovery/buffing expendables thing, but I guess there's no reason not to have a bit of redundancy.

Also, I forgot the hunger mechanic was a thing that exists in some games.

Thank you!
Ringo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-18, 09:48   Link #156
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo* View Post
Oh, I didn't think of that. I kind of thought that potions made using the Pharmacist subclass would cover the recovery/buffing expendables thing, but I guess there's no reason not to have a bit of redundancy.
Most of the time the difference between potions and foods would be that potions are useable in combat while food is strickly out of combat
Old 2014-12-23, 10:07   Link #157
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
I suppose this thread would be the best place to ask this:

Log Horizon seems to be popular, so I decided to check it out by watching the first three episodes. But from what I've seen, is there any point in continuing? I don't think it was a bad series, but I don't know if it's worth investing my time into it when it seems no different that the let's-go-on-an-adventure-in-this-fantasy-land type of series which I have seen many times before.

Now, I enjoyed Sword Art Online, but from what I've seen so far, Log Horizon seems different, in that there is little explanation of how these people ended up in the game, and the vibe I'm getting is that they've all resigned themselves to forever living in that game world, it's all "We've been sucked into a game world? Oh well, let's go on an adventure!", whereas in SAO, from the beginning there was a clear goal that needed to be reached, as well as a sense of urgency.

That brings me to another anime series I enjoyed: No Game No Life, which I would say is more similar to Log Horizon than SAO (keeping in mind I have only watched 3 episodes of Log Horizon so far). But NGNL also had a clear goal, something that the characters would work towards throughout the series.

So what I want to know: does the series eventually get an overarching goal that the characters work towards? Or is it just a string of disposable side quests? What is the appeal of this series?

The last episode I watched left off with the main characters travelling to rescue another character, but the series hasn't really left me with the impression that I should care about any of the characters or what they're doing.
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 10:24   Link #158
tsunade666

you should care more about the characters because this is more character development story. the story of the characters overcoming hardship and dealing with problems that arise are the center piece of this story.

its far different from SAO or NGNL.

Since seriously. I don't remember them having that much difficulty in the story.

I read SAO but drop it eventually in the last arc. too boring for me. everything went well. and done by one.

NGNL.... hmmm I like the dual MC but I can't say I like them more than Log Hora.

Log Hora just have more characters to it and they have their own story to go through. They also had their own problems.

As for your problem with them being resigned themselves...

well that's the reality of what happen to them. Some are being paranoid, some are being violent. Some even goes and do bad stuff because they still think its a "game"

the story of log hora is very different to SAO. You would need to watch it as a series than just judge it with only 3 episode.

Also Log Hora is a bit darker but that is the novel version. The anime which is running in NHK remove it to be presentable for children show.
Old 2014-12-24, 03:00   Link #159
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybudgy View Post
I suppose this thread would be the best place to ask this:

Log Horizon seems to be popular, so I decided to check it out by watching the first three episodes. But from what I've seen, is there any point in continuing? I don't think it was a bad series, but I don't know if it's worth investing my time into it when it seems no different that the let's-go-on-an-adventure-in-this-fantasy-land type of series which I have seen many times before.

Now, I enjoyed Sword Art Online, but from what I've seen so far, Log Horizon seems different, in that there is little explanation of how these people ended up in the game, and the vibe I'm getting is that they've all resigned themselves to forever living in that game world, it's all "We've been sucked into a game world? Oh well, let's go on an adventure!", whereas in SAO, from the beginning there was a clear goal that needed to be reached, as well as a sense of urgency.

That brings me to another anime series I enjoyed: No Game No Life, which I would say is more similar to Log Horizon than SAO (keeping in mind I have only watched 3 episodes of Log Horizon so far). But NGNL also had a clear goal, something that the characters would work towards throughout the series.

So what I want to know: does the series eventually get an overarching goal that the characters work towards? Or is it just a string of disposable side quests? What is the appeal of this series?

The last episode I watched left off with the main characters travelling to rescue another character, but the series hasn't really left me with the impression that I should care about any of the characters or what they're doing.
I'll try not to do this without series-to-series comparisons since those usually come with at least a fair bit of bias. I also tend to ramble and go off-track, so please do bear with me

Log Horizon's overall theme is AFAIK, "What to do when we're thrown into a world that had till now been just a game to us?", though it takes its time in developing this. As you've said, there's little explanation about how the Adventurers got themselves into that situation. Imho this is the main reason why they don't seem in a rush to go home, because they don't know how to. Unlike SAO's first arc where the mastermind set out in no uncertain terms what the players must do in order to leave Aincard, LogHora's Adventurers are not given a clear goal to work towards. This in fact explains the anarchy and apathy we see early in the series: people have nothing to do and for some, crime offers a tasty distraction. Also, a latter volume would also show us that not everyone enjoys being stuck in a foreign world and would in fact resort to drastic measures with a cult-like intensity.

As mentioned, Mamare-sensei takes his time to develop the story, like how a good cook would allow his stew to simmer. The first three episodes you've watched only laid down the foundation, important though it is: the state of a community (in this case, the Elder Tales players) when thrust into a unreal situation (Welcome to the Game! or so they thought). Serara's rescue also serves as the spark that kicks Shiroe into action; his decision to take the initiative instead of drifting along with the flow is what sets Log Horizon moving. If this is just a string of disposable side quests, we wouldn't have the development that would come following this arc. In fact each arc is a brick that on which the house is built: establishing society, interacting with the world and the inevitable conflicts with a equal with different priorities as well as slowly solving the mystery that had brought all this into play. This is one of Log Horizon's greatest strengths: a solid story (perhaps sometimes a bit too optimistic to me) and one that does not ignore the rules and settings it has given itself but would instead play and expand on them. Also, if you've noticed, there's an emphasis on the game mechanics and how the characters have to work with them. One of the things that fans have applauded about LogHora is how it remains true to its MMO background, while similar stories would choose either to focus solely on character interactions and forget that they are still in a game (as compared to the Adventurers who are in a living world with MMO mechanics), or merrily break everything just to accommodate the author's need to show off a character (doesn't need to be the main protagonist, though these guys are the usual culprits).

And talking about settings, this is yet another of Log Hora's charms. While perhaps not as well covered in the anime and sometimes in the novels as well, the LogHora team has invested much effort into developing the world in which the story is set to the point that they have enough material for its own TRPG. Not only that, like the great ZUN, Mamare-sensei is generally receptive to fan input and frequently acknowledges fan work by working them into his own. In fact Log Horizon offers the fanfic writer and the role player a lot of freedom to develop their own spin on it. Note that while the main stage is set in Japan (as usual), the rest of the world is not forgotten (ET is a MMO with global servers after all) and is in fact there for oversea fans to work on what they think would happen to their own communities. The Japanese, used to an orderly society and catastrophes, are generally quick to adapt and settle down. But how about the other parts of the world? This is another reason for Log Horizon's appeal even beyond the shores of Japan; it's not exclusive to one country and anyone can write their own Elder Tale story based on whichever community they jolly well like.

Another reason, and perhaps the one that most fans would use to distinguish LogHora from other similar series, is that not all battles are fought and won with brawl (and power creep). Though on a lesser extent compared to the author's previous work Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Log Horizon emphasizes on resolutions through diplomatic means, or at least, by getting folks to come to a mutual understanding. Many incidents, especially in the earlier volumes, are resolved without the use of force, sometimes also with a bit of trickery. It does have its share of fights, though one-on-ones are very rare (and are all supported with a party) and most "fights" are in truth battles, or raids if you will. Fancy sure-kill moves are pretty much non-existent and even the Overskills that many are so excited about aren't really the techniques we see in shounen manga. This means someone who comes into LogHora for action will usually be disappointed. Also, as many has pointed out, the animation and anime artwork has much to be improved on, although there are exceptions from time to time. And no, for S2, DEEN imho isn't really as bad as many has kept harping on about. Satelight's own work with S1 was after all not exactly satisfying many-a-times.

To sum it up, Log Horizon is a story that one should sit back and enjoy, imho preferably with a cuppa of hot something (I recommend hot chocolate! ). If you like world building and don't mind the story moving at its own leisurely pace, then by all means welcome!

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2014-12-24 at 03:16.
Old 2014-12-24, 05:28   Link #160
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

For me SAO and LH start from the same point (peoples are stranded in a video game) but goes to differents directions/genres.

SAO is a action serie (i have read the book up to GGO) where you can see the protagonist being a awesome action hero and building his harem.

In LH you have peoples thrown into a new world where the rules are a weird mix of real world physics and MMORPG rules.

You see how they try to organise themselves to survive and how they interact with/explore their new environnement.

The rescue for exemple is to show us how some players decided to play the warlord/conquerors card on a city, how do you stop them when they will literaly respawn even if you kill them ?

Tags
q&a