AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2007-01-02, 21:34   Link #1501
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling is you haven't seen all the episodes currently out yet (up to the 13th out of 26). In that case, let me assure you that Kanon isn't exactly totally based on realism.

The tagword for Kanon would have to be "miracle". So expect some "miraculous" happenings to appear later on.

Even so, it's nice you like Kanon so far. To be honest, I've seen some of your posts on other threads, and I was kinda concerned about what your reaction to Kanon would be like once you found it. Turns out I was worrying over nothing.
I know about the other aspects of the series that are introduced later, but even still I've found the characters far more believable than the usual fair I see from game conversions. Number one is despite the fact that they are obnoxiously cute its done naturally, they aren't trying too hard like I've found in other shows. I don't know how to explain it but the scenario's seem natural rather than forced. Number two is that even once things get magical I have a feeling the characters will have enough depth to them to still ground the series in a bit of reality. Number three is that I like the nice touch of the first episode ending on a bit of a cliffhanger instead of at a predictable point with all loose ends tied up for the episode. My favourite series Zeta Gundam did that a lot of times and so do a lot of my favourite action series and it always makes me want to watch the next episode to see what new plot elements are introduced and how the previous episode flows into the next episodes narrative. That's what I mean when I refer to 80's/90's storytelling. I find that during that period the stories were told in a more continous fashion from episode to episode and that nowadays things are far more segmented into short seperate arcs, specifically with H-Game conversion shows.

Sadly, it turns out the reason I like the opening and ending music is because its the actual music from the game back in the 90's as well. I hope the series popularity helps in that style of music making a real comeback at least.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-02 at 22:13.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-02, 22:18   Link #1502
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think Kaioshin i's using "realistic" the way it is intended for literature, as in "normal human behavior within the confines of a consistent logical environment" even if aspects of that enivironment are supernatural
e.g. Frodo and Gandalf act realistically in a logical consistent (but fantastic to us) universe.
Old 2007-01-04, 00:27   Link #1503
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Untagged spoiler spotted, rep distirbuted accordingly.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 00:30   Link #1504
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Do I need a spoiler for an episode 4 episodes ago?
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 02:04   Link #1505
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Since this is the "generic discussion" .. I'd say yeah.... even after this series is done airing, people will come visit to see if they might like the show. Dropping into the individual eps, I'd say their on their own but they should be able to browse the main threads without tooo much spoilage. FPB has had one or two series *seriously* spoiled for him because people babbling about relatively recent series he hadn't delved that far into yet. So I kind of understand his seriousness and remember posting to the effect

A lot of people wait til the series is done and just batch the whole thing (what I did with Gift and Higurashi, for example).
Old 2007-01-04, 10:07   Link #1506
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Somewhere on this board, someone was talking about the ‘4 seasons’. I just read it in passing but it had something to do with Air and Kannon. Since its was obvious that Air is in summer and Kannon in winter it stuck with me.

Can someone explain this a bit more?

The reason is that I just watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and I’m wondering if it was done by the same artist. It seems to have the same feel as Air and Kannon.

And even if it isn’t by the same artist or production company, how would I go about finding more shows like these 3?

Thanks.

~Tasdern
Old 2007-01-04, 11:12   Link #1507
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdern View Post
Somewhere on this board, someone was talking about the ‘4 seasons’. I just read it in passing but it had something to do with Air and Kannon. Since its was obvious that Air is in summer and Kannon in winter it stuck with me.

Can someone explain this a bit more?

The reason is that I just watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and I’m wondering if it was done by the same artist. It seems to have the same feel as Air and Kannon.

And even if it isn’t by the same artist or production company, how would I go about finding more shows like these 3?

Thanks.

~Tasdern
That would be the 'four seasons of bishoujo', I believe, and they refer to four of KEY's visual novels in actual fact, instead of anime series.

These four shows, in order of their time of release, are ONE (Fall), Kanon (Winter), AIR (Summer), and CLANNAD (Spring). As of this date, only Kanon and AIR have been adapted into anime, so you're not likely to ONE or CLANNAD as an anime series anytime soon.

I'll let others more informed to pick up where I've left off.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 07:13   Link #1508
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

AniDB is now stating that Kanon will air until march 30, 2007. Therefore the number of episodes would be 26, and not 24 as I had heard until now.

AniDB itself, was stating 24 until no more than 2 weeks ago, and has recently updated, while ANN still says 24.

Now, who's correct? Someone with access to reliable sources may be able to know more?
Old 2007-01-05, 08:10   Link #1509
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
That would be the 'four seasons of bishoujo', I believe, and they refer to four of KEY's visual novels in actual fact, instead of anime series.

These four shows, in order of their time of release, are ONE (Fall), Kanon (Winter), AIR (Summer), and CLANNAD (Spring). As of this date, only Kanon and AIR have been adapted into anime, so you're not likely to ONE or CLANNAD as an anime series anytime soon.

I'll let others more informed to pick up where I've left off.
Hm... I thought "one" had an OVA. I'm sure i've watched one.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 08:50   Link #1510
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
AniDB is now stating that Kanon will air until march 30, 2007. Therefore the number of episodes would be 26, and not 24 as I had heard until now.

AniDB itself, was stating 24 until no more than 2 weeks ago, and has recently updated, while ANN still says 24.

Now, who's correct? Someone with access to reliable sources may be able to know more?
Possibility No. 1: The two extra episodes happened because KyoAni realised halfway through the airing that they needed the extras to fully cover the whole storyline.

Possibility No. 2: The two extra episodes are there because KyoAni decided at the last moment to add two recap episodes, in the style of AIR's recap episode.

Possibility No. 3: The two extra episodes are there because KyoAni is intending to fill those slots in with Kanon extras, somewhat like an AIR in Summer type of deal.

Possibility No. 4: The two extra episodes are there because KyoAni is intending to do a Toei and use the two slots for a Kanon Special.

Take your pick.
Old 2007-01-05, 08:53   Link #1511
Skane
Anime Snark

5. They decide to do a 2-Episode Sayuri special.
Old 2007-01-05, 08:55   Link #1512
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
Hm... I thought "one" had an OVA. I'm sure i've watched one.
Indeed, yes. And there're two of them actually. One is all-age, and one is hentai. Even though I have never played the game (in fact, that's the only one of the "four seasons" I didn't play, due to... various reasons), I have a feeling that the hentai one stays more loyal to it. The all-age one, on the other hand, seems very confusing to me. I was like "eh?" after finished watching it. Maybe someone who has both played the game and watched the OVAs can clarify which one is more truthful to the game.

PS Btw, I would call those "four seasons of Key" rather than "four seasons of bishoujo games", 'cause IMO, Memories Off series represents the fall season better.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 09:02   Link #1513
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
PS Btw, I would call those "four seasons of Key" rather than "four seasons of bishoujo games", 'cause IMO, Memories Off series represents the fall season better.
And yet, "four seasons of Key" still isn't more accurate than "four seasons of bishoujo", because ONE was made by Tactics, not KEY. True, the Tactics staff who were in charge of ONE eventually became the core group of the breakaway company KEY, but still.
Old 2007-01-05, 09:12   Link #1514
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
And yet, "four seasons of Key" still isn't more accurate than "four seasons of bishoujo", because ONE was made by Tactics, not KEY. True, the Tactics staff who were in charge of ONE eventually became the core group of the breakaway company KEY, but still.
I knew someone would say that. Technically you're right, but personally I treat it as a Key game. Anyway, I would prefer MO over ONE for representing fall. I guess that's part of the reason why I classified it under Key's.

Oh yeah, CLANNAD already has a movie planned for this summer, so I think we can expect to see its TV series sometimes (next year maybe?). Now, comparing to AIR, this is a even bigger challenge since I can't imagine how they going to fit CLANNAD's story into a two-hour time frame. I'm looking forward to it. But before then, I should try to finish the game.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 18:42   Link #1515
G005

It's probably better to classify games by creator/director instead of company (i.e. four seasons of Jun Maeda). With people moving from studio to studio over time, it becomes harder to define a "Key game". After all, some people classify ONE as a Key game because of the involvement of Jun Maeda, Naoki Hisaya, Itaru Hinoue, etc. But where does that leave Planetarian now that Yuichi Suzumoto is gone? Should it be lumped in with his future Leaf/Aquaplus projects?

Additionally, there're people who recognize ONE as a Key product, while ignoring the fact that MOON was also created by the same staff. MOON may be a kichiku game, but that doesn't negate its development history.

[on a related note, To Heart faces a similar issue. The lead writer/creator and the character illustrator quit Leaf to form an independent company (PLAYM), so To Heart 2 was developed by a new crew. Nonetheless, no one claims that To Heart is a PLAYM product]
G005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 23:54   Link #1516
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post

They already announced that the series would have 8 DVDs in total with 3 episodes on each for 24 episodes in all. (See the Amazon DVD 8 solicitation, which clearly lays it out.) The only thing I can think of (as Ascaloth mentioned) is that they could have two recap episodes to fill the time, and then turn around later and sell a "Kanon Memories" DVD, just like AIR. I'm more inclined to believe that AniDB may just be wrong, though.
Old 2007-01-07, 06:17   Link #1517
Skane
Anime Snark

Just some fun I had, over at the Avatars Thread.

Kanon in the Snow

Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-01-07 at 08:01. Reason: Link correction
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 06:49   Link #1518
Meophist

This might be a better link Skane.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 08:03   Link #1519
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
This might be a better link Skane.
Ah, whoops. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-07, 13:18   Link #1520
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Need some Japanese help from one of the game players, if it's not too much trouble.
Am I correct in assuming that the word まもの, rendered "demon" in the fansubs, is 魔者 in kanji?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen