AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2019-01-08, 20:09   Link #121
LG-MAX 2.o

the dubbed version of the anime will suffer a delay. Many fans are concerned that it may be SJW's fault: https://mobile.twitter.com/ShieldHer...84586990403585
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-08, 20:14   Link #122
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
the dubbed version of the anime will suffer a delay. Many fans are concerned that it may be SJW's fault: https://mobile.twitter.com/ShieldHer...84586990403585
It's the hero of the shield's fault of course *angry king noises*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Also, to address something people mentioned previously, questioning why they call it a "matriarchy" but have a king on the throne, I'd say there's three possibilities that would certainly fit:
1: The queen died and her husband was made "king" until the heir has grown old enough and gained the political influence necessary to officially take the crown.
2: The queen is incapacitated and the king is acting as administrator until either she recovers or a decision is made to pass the crown to the heir.
3: The queen is presently away for one reason or another and the king is acting in her stead until she returns.

In all three cases this places an extra negative light on the king, making his presumptive behavior potentially fall into areas ranging from overreaching his authority all the way to treason and attempted usurpation.
Well the opening shows the queen apparently fine so I'll go for the third option. I mean being the actual leader of a country, she has to go on diplomatic business with other countries and her husband summoning 4 heroes on her land at the same time and then have one of the be ostracised might raise suspicions.
Old 2019-01-08, 22:05   Link #123
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Wouldn't be surprised. Considering previous complaints directed at them for other dubs, and their writers' dismissive responses, I would almost find it surprising if they didn't twist it. Well, in the worst case it'll at least be good for a laugh.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 00:58   Link #124
Calca
Expressionless

Good article rebuking the unwarranted outrage.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 03:45   Link #125
eisai_haramasukoi

It's Goblin Slayer outrage all over again.
eisai_haramasukoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 04:20   Link #126
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD3LF0N53 View Post
It's Goblin Slayer outrage all over again.
Not really, one (Goblin Slayer) was deliberately going for cheap shock value in the first episode and failed horribly at setting the tone for the rest of the series by turning off those of us not willing to go along with it (good thing too because of how generic it ended up being). Meanwhile the other (Shield Hero) is being criticized for something that has not happened or has been explained yet, by a subset of people that are jumping to conclusions because they are somehow offended at the mention of the word slave without understanding how that is used in this series by the MC and writer.

Granted, it is the fault of anime itself that many are skeptical about the use of something like slavery as a theme because mangaka/LN writers have shown to not be the most subtle or tactful when it comes to these kinds of themes *coughgoblinslayercough*.
Old 2019-01-09, 04:31   Link #127
RDNexus

Not simply because of the slavery theme, but also because of the false rape accusation thing, leading idiots out there to think this story is gonna be some sort of support to misogyny or something.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 04:36   Link #128
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Not really, one (Goblin Slayer) was deliberately going for cheap shock value in the first episode and failed horribly at setting the tone for the rest of the series by turning off those of us not willing to go along with it (good thing too because of how generic it ended up being). Meanwhile the other (Shield Hero) is being criticized for something that has not happened or has been explained yet, by a subset of people that are jumping to conclusions because they are somehow offended at the mention of the word slave without understanding how that is used in this series by the MC and writer.

Granted, it is the fault of anime itself that many are skeptical about the use of something like slavery as a theme because mangaka/LN writers have shown to not be the most subtle or tactful when it comes to these kinds of themes *coughgoblinslayercough*.
Not really.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 07:17   Link #129
Twi

@ Chosen_Hero

Goblin Slayer wasn't going for cheap shock value. It established what happens when a team of unprepared people go into a nest and that didn't change. When they got dogpiled in the Sewers, they nearly suffered the same fate as the first group, killed and violated.

Shield Hero's first episode, despite its flaws, do much the same. The world is out to get Naofumi, so if he wants to survive he's going to have to be a pragmatic bastard about it. He didn't know enough about the world, so he has to learn about it. He trusted someone entirely, so now he needs leverage before he's willing to do so again so they can't betray him.

I'm not a fan of the execution, because the word subtle was missing here when the antagonist weren't literal monsters, but it did what it set out to do.

Last edited by Twi; 2019-01-09 at 07:29.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 07:54   Link #130
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
It had it's good points. I personally didn't really see it as shock scare, more like just it trying to be brutally realistic. It certainly made goblins "scary" which I believe was most of what it wanted to achieve.

If there was something I was a bit disappointed of was that it didn't really tag along with one of the surviving girls a bit more. The trauma rehab (or lack there of) would have been both interesting plot and color the atmosphere at the same time; it would probably also have earned it some points for not treating the topic as just a prop (which it kind of turned into with how many times it tried to find an excuse to bring it back, but didn't expand on it afterwards). We kind of got something similar later on, but honestly couldn't feel any attachment to said character at that point; felt extremely forced, and flamboyant for no reason. A pity.

The consequences of the adventurers's death was also very much pushed under the rug. But that I don't mind since the world is RPG-ish.

Quote:
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
According to people that have worked in "get your attention" war rooms at big companies (at least one of which also did a TED talk), your outrage is the best way to keep you on the service. Competing services also (supposedly) naturally evolve towards attention grabbing; inevitably towards promoting outrage for the sake of market share.

So you know, as the old (forum) saying goes, don't feed the trolls.

Last edited by felix; 2019-01-09 at 08:05.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 08:48   Link #131
eisai_haramasukoi

I just discovered that Raph's seiyuu is the same as Mai Sakurajima, and Naofumi's seiyuu is basically Sakuta. Were they casted on purpose?
eisai_haramasukoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 10:45   Link #132
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD3LF0N53 View Post
I just discovered that Raph's seiyuu is the same as Mai Sakurajima, and Naofumi's seiyuu is basically Sakuta. Were they casted on purpose?
Studios have done things like that before. (Yuji/Saito and Shana/Louise)
Old 2019-01-09, 10:46   Link #133
Applehell

SH was in production for 3 years so not really? Coindences like that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Shield Hero's first episode, despite its flaws, do much the same. The world is out to get Naofumi, so if he wants to survive he's going to have to be a pragmatic bastard about it. He didn't know enough about the world, so he has to learn about it. He trusted someone entirely, so now he needs leverage before he's willing to do so again so they can't betray him.

I'm not a fan of the execution, because the word subtle was missing here when the antagonist weren't literal monsters, but it did what it set out to do.
The world really isn't really that harsh as the other three heroes show. It just dumb stuff happenef to him specifically and Naofumi colors his whole worldview by that. Only he has to struggle because the villains made that way. Though some of problems are on his end, but pratically nearly everyone is ridiculously simpleminded so doesn't matter to the story.

I wouldn’t put my trust in most people either (though I don't do this from the start), but I wouldn't stoop to buying slaves or very least use that as excuse to keep one and not free them. Naofumi had conditions have one be in his debt and work with him because their situation is not much better and his status would be the least relvant to one especially after freeing them. The leverage excuse only goes so far. Espeically because in the end he needs actual companions not properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Not simply because of the slavery theme, but also because of the false rape accusation thing, leading idiots out there to think this story is gonna be some sort of support to misogyny or something.
I don't think the story does this either, but it use some of it's subject matter in a hamfisted way. The fromer is a bigger problem than later to me.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-01-09 at 11:02.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 11:11   Link #134
Twi

I get that but, and I can't believe I'm actually defending this, he's been put into a situation where he is actively going to die if he doesn't have someone fight for him because he can't do it himself. His reputation is down the drain, the king is clearly against him, and they literally can't go home until the waves are done, or so the King said (all of the heroes should have turned on him at that point).

If he pays for help but can't keep them under control or loyal to him, then he's out both money and help because the system is firmly against him. The same system that allowed for not only slavery, but in a condition that is horrific. You can free said slave, but that doesn't guarantee they'll be in your debt and willing to risk their life for you (though, this is a fictional story so the author could have done that). By that same standard, if you treat them like crap then they can just choose death after leaving you in a position to die.

We might not agree with the notion of him having a slave, especially not with the conditions (seriously, they were in cages of all things and you can brand them with a seal), but I can see where he's coming from. Though I wouldn't have gotten a child of all things from a pragmatic point of view.

My problem was that he was pressed into it by a set-up and the other issues that are spoilers, because the logistics of how he got framed and the effects are heavily questionable on a scale larger than what we're seeing. Like politically and practically speaking.

I don't like the situation, because rationally, it should never have happened in the first place. There were other ways to get from point A to point B without the whole set-up being so blatant and obvious.
Old 2019-01-09, 12:53   Link #135
Ultragunner

LOL, I almost dropped my drink when the sword guy said the world was like a "VRMMO" something something "...Online", and in Kirito's voice no less
did they do it on purpose? hahaha

EDIT: also, what the heck is wrong with the games from the other three's world? Nobody plays tank there? The party is screwed If the tank is unskilled. If anything this is the most jarring details of this series for me tbh
Old 2019-01-09, 14:05   Link #136
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I get that but, and I can't believe I'm actually defending this, he's been put into a situation where he is actively going to die if he doesn't have someone fight for him because he can't do it himself. His reputation is down the drain, the king is clearly against him, and they literally can't go home until the waves are done, or so the King said (all of the heroes should have turned on him at that point).

If he pays for help but can't keep them under control or loyal to him, then he's out both money and help because the system is firmly against him. The same system that allowed for not only slavery, but in a condition that is horrific. You can free said slave, but that doesn't guarantee they'll be in your debt and willing to risk their life for you (though, this is a fictional story so the author could have done that). By that same standard, if you treat them like crap then they can just choose death after leaving you in a position to die.

We might not agree with the notion of him having a slave, especially not with the conditions (seriously, they were in cages of all things and you can brand them with a seal), but I can see where he's coming from. Though I wouldn't have gotten a child of all things from a pragmatic point of view.

My problem was that he was pressed into it by a set-up and the other issues that are spoilers, because the logistics of how he got framed and the effects are heavily questionable on a scale larger than what we're seeing. Like politically and practically speaking.

I don't like the situation, because rationally, it should never have happened in the first place. There were other ways to get from point A to point B without the whole set-up being so blatant and obvious.
Yeah, I can agree on those points. It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm all for the theme of outcasts banding together to save the world and whatnot, but not so much when one of them using an oppossive system that played a part in ruining one of their lives. It is especially ironic if you know the Shield Hero's hisorical relationship with demi-humans in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
LOL, I almost dropped my drink when the sword guy said the world was like a "VRMMO" something something "...Online", and in Kirito's voice no less
did they do it on purpose? hahaha
Yeah now that was cleatly not a coindence in casting.

Quote:
EDIT: also, what the heck is wrong with the games from the other three's world? Nobody plays tank there? The party is screwed If the tank is unskilled. If anything this is the most jarring details of this series for me tbh
You have to wonder at this point what kind of MMOs were they playing? Even in early ones like Everquests tanks wete pretty much a party's lifeline. I'm also not why the 3 heroes need separate parties at all ehen ybey going yo be working tigether save the world anyway . If feels like a really abstract arbitrary restriction, maybe the story will go about it in more depth.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-01-09 at 14:15.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 14:43   Link #137
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
I get that but, and I can't believe I'm actually defending this, he's been put into a situation where he is actively going to die if he doesn't have someone fight for him because he can't do it himself.
No man, seriously give it up. If someone does not want to understand the obvious, that he has no offensive power and that no one would help him willingly and that even then he will be forced to fight and that having slaves was his only way increase his chances of survival. Okay, Creating an ideal situation in your head that does not contradict someone's ideas is easier than making a questionable decision at critical moments.
Old 2019-01-09, 15:32   Link #138
4th Dimension

On the other toppic that's not about "TEH CONTROVERSY", given that the ED contains miss with the fans, I guess that fight could likely be the finale.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-09, 15:39   Link #139
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

So... appearently the author of this series is... actually a woman!?

Will the controversy shift from "omg, misoginy!" to "omg, internalized misoginy!" now?
Old 2019-01-09, 15:42   Link #140
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
So... appearently the author of this series is... actually a woman!?

Will the controversy shift from "omg, misoginy!" to "omg, internalized misoginy!" now?
A lot of people ignore this information, and will probably continue to ignore it since it goes against the opinions of many people.

Tags
isekai, traumatized protagonist