AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-09, 21:54   Link #121
Cherry_Lover

I would be surprised if this were an Archer route, it wouldn't really fit with resolving everyone else's plot arcs.
Old 2014-02-12, 10:35   Link #122
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
I would be surprised if this were an Archer route, it wouldn't really fit with resolving everyone else's plot arcs.
He can probably fulfill Heaven's Feel and Fate route while having certain skills: UBW, swordspam, etc
Old 2014-02-12, 13:19   Link #123
Cherry_Lover

Well, it's more that Archer's backstory is unlikely to be one where he happily saves everyone and goes on to live a happy life. Having Sakura and Rin there to support him and a good resolution with Saber makes him unlikely to end up in Archer's position. And, plus, Archer seems to know relatively little about Sakura's situation, which suggests he never went through anything like HF.
Old 2014-02-12, 14:07   Link #124
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Up until Realta Nua's addition to the Fate route, I was under the impression that a whole lot of people thought/felt that the Fate route lead to Archer's birth.

That said, the most defining moments in Archer's life happened after the Holy Grail War, so unless they're going to do something that's post-HGW, I think it's unlikely this'll depict an Archer route.
Old 2014-02-12, 16:27   Link #125
Cherry_Lover

Yeah, that's also a good point. Even if it were an Archer route there's no way we'd be able to tell. Even Shirou's hair turning white or whatever wouldn't demonstrate it, because that is something that could happen to him even if he is on a saner path.

I think Archer's route is probably one in which Archer himself wasn't summoned, though, because otherwise there is a logical inconsistency there in terms of how Archer first came into existence (it could be a stable time loop, but the fact that there are alternate routes where Shirou does not become Archer makes that unlikely). So, it is unlikely that any FSN-like route would be an Archer route.
Old 2014-02-12, 17:13   Link #126
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'm of the same belief concerning Archer's original life. Which begs the question of just who Rin summoned the first time around, when her pendant hadn't become a catalyst.
Old 2014-02-19, 19:11   Link #127
MCAL

I was under the impression that servants could be summoned from anywhere from the space-time continuum. So there is no "Rin who didn't summon Archer."
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 04:38   Link #128
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I was under the impression that servants could be summoned from anywhere from the space-time continuum. So there is no "Rin who didn't summon Archer."
It is not about that summoning Archer would be impossible, it is about if Shirou met Archer he would probably not become the Archer we know, because he would have foresight about his destiny and what he would become. At least you aren't going to try to look exactly like someone from your past.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 07:31   Link #129
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
It is not about that summoning Archer would be impossible, it is about if Shirou met Archer he would probably not become the Archer we know, because he would have foresight about his destiny and what he would become. At least you aren't going to try to look exactly like someone from your past.
Archer doesn't look exactly like Shirou though, so not sure where you're going with that. Plus, it's not like there was really any hint of who Archer was in the Fate route, so the "Archer Origin" route is likely similar to that, except with not being able to convince Saber to give up (since if I'm not mistaken, Archer lamented not being able to save her).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 08:42   Link #130
Cherry_Lover

The problem is that it's a paradox. If Rin always summoned Archer, then Archer cannot exist without Archer already existing. And, it can't even be a stable time loop, because it's not stable.
Old 2014-02-20, 08:45   Link #131
GDB

It only needs a single stable loop, wherein Rin summons Archer but Archer doesn't do much of anything (like in the Fate route), and said Shirou goes on to become Archer. Every other reality can then use said Archer without creating a paradox.
Old 2014-02-20, 10:19   Link #132
maximilianjenus
[E]

do we have time loops at all ? as I understand it it's all about akasha/akashic records, so the thing that is closer to that is parallel universes ; we only need that a parallel universe is able to create the archer we know, so taht archer can be summoned in any other parallel universe.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 10:53   Link #133
GDB

They are parallel universes/realities, but since we know Archer participated in a grail war, then there has to be one where either Rin did not summon this Archer, or if she did then he didn't do much of anything. Otherwise, he wouldn't be from anywhere.
Old 2014-02-20, 11:33   Link #134
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It only needs a single stable loop, wherein Rin summons Archer but Archer doesn't do much of anything (like in the Fate route), and said Shirou goes on to become Archer. Every other reality can then use said Archer without creating a paradox.
Even so, in that case Archer still just popped out of nowhere. He couldn't have existed without Archer already existing. And, since we know he can change his own past, a stable time loop cannot apply. His existence does affect the timeline, and therefore claiming a stable time loop where Archer existing doesn't affect himself at all is nonsensical.
Old 2014-02-20, 12:10   Link #135
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Even so, in that case Archer still just popped out of nowhere. He couldn't have existed without Archer already existing. And, since we know he can change his own past, a stable time loop cannot apply. His existence does affect the timeline, and therefore claiming a stable time loop where Archer existing doesn't affect himself at all is nonsensical.
No it's not. Go watch Doctor Who. The past can happen because of the future.
Old 2014-02-20, 13:31   Link #136
Cherry_Lover

Honestly, Dr. Who's depiction of time travel is generally completely illogical, and I don't even think it's meant to make sense.

Further, the situation you are talking about there is a stable time loop. I.e., the actions of the time traveller cause the conditions which make them time-travel. That cannot possibly apply when you have a situation where Archer acting causes things to change. Archer does not exist because Rin summoned Archer, therefore it makes no logical sense to assume that Rin summoned Archer in Archer's timeline, because that is just a paradox.
Old 2014-02-20, 17:17   Link #137
GDB

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because him being summoned in his origin line in no way prevents his "birth", and as such cannot be a paradox.
Old 2014-02-21, 13:31   Link #138
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Then again Saber’s deal with the world, god or whatever, was intended to make her an Heroic Spirit even if she was aiming to change her own history so that someone else became King Arthur. So maybe Shirou became Archer in normal history and he going to his past to meet himself change said events but the Counter Guardian EMIYA still exist as a consequence of actions that are no more. It means Archer is a consequence without a cause. The multi-universe idea is fine but with the point that each universe has its own separate timeline of events.

With that idea a change in the timeline affects the events after say change, but if the time traveler who changes them would not be affected because it is right at the point of change. Like in Back to the Future, when Biff gets the almanac and becomes millionaire. In that alternative time line Doc Brown was supposed to be in an asylum so he could never built the DeLorean and yet he and Marty still have the DeLorean. I know they came from the future to the past, but the idea works the other way around. At least is another way to explain it.
Old 2014-02-21, 13:36   Link #139
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't think the Alaya contracts work that way. For one, Saber's intended elimination from history was not going to be caused by the contract with Alaya; that was all supposed to be the work of the Holy Grail (and we all know how that turned out). And as for EMIYA's contract, the specifications for that was to acquire the power to save everyone in a great disaster, with nothing being said about his removal from conscious existence.
Old 2014-02-22, 14:37   Link #140
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

The contract with Alaya will have said consequence, I think they discuss it in Fate, because Saber was going to use the Grail to not be King Arthur and then comes the problem: she never was King Arthur so she never gets to the hill and makes the contract. But they do say that even if she makes the change she will have to serve as Heroic Spirit or something on those lines. In Archer’s case his contract was to gain power to save those people and then become a Counter Guardian. My explanation goes to explain the problem that it creates the fact that, as far as I know, Shirou has a lot of possibilities of never ending like him so he could not make the contract and send back to the past.

The terms of Saber and Archer’s deals with Alaya or whatever don’t really matter. The point will be that they both get what they ask for so they are force to pay the price. If their actions causes this contradictions in the timeline, it doesn’t matter, they will continues to exist as Heroic Spirits. If we go for terms there isn’t a part where it says “and you should not be remove from conscious existence” either. I just say that could explain how Archer becomes EMIYA and then changes his own past but doesn’t disappear and how Saber could change her own past and don’t disappear as a consequence. Is just a theory but is how I see it.

Tags
heaven's feel, ubw, ufotable