1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-01, 10:59   Link #121
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Re:Zero still has my favorite anime episode of the entire year - That being Episode 15.
That was mine, too. Until this one.
And, don't kid yourself, I absolutely LOVE Rem. I think Subaru should stay with her and keep Emilia on the side, myself. But different people have different tastes, and I can't fault him, the character - or the author(s), who did an amazing job, here. I can't wait for more!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 11:26   Link #122
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
The author obviously has big plans for Emilia in the long run since this current arc is only the 3rd arc out of 6 existing WN arcs, and I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be a very likeable and developed character later on. However what the author probably should have taken into consideration was the way he cut down on Emilia's screentime and gave her zero romantic interest towards the main character for at least 2 and a half arcs. If he keeps the romantic chemistry between the main character and the main heroine very dry for a good chunk of the story while at the same time giving massive amounts of screentime, importance, and EXCELLENT chemistry with another character who also happens to be extremely cute, honest and likeable, well, how could he NOT expect most of the audience to root for Rem?

Rem's confession in this episode was god-tier. It's the kind of amazing scene that many people want to see at the end of a romance series, the ultimate climax and romantic resolution where the characters speak their hearts out about the extent that they love each other to the smallest cutest details. Emilia would have to say something unspeakably awesome to outdo what Rem said here. Ironically a lot of romances LACK this kind of moving resolution for the main romantic couple; Rem's all-out honest confession is what a lot of romance SHOULD do yet do not, so for me to see the perfect confession scene being pulled off and promptly being dismissed because the girl involved isn't the endgame is quite a bummer and feels like a waste of a great scene.
Excellent post. This pretty much sums it up for me as well. It definitely leaves me with some very mixed feelings.
Old 2016-08-01, 11:35   Link #123
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

People not understanding why Subaru didn't choose Rem after all that.

If pouring out all your love would be the password to getting a lover then I would already have a GF

EDIT:
+1 to @Klashikari
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 12:23   Link #124
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeah, I was already having problems separating Rem and Tsubasa (of Tokyo Mirage) from before, and then this episode happened. I've already had vibes from Rem having lots of osanananjimi elements to her character from before, but c'mon... Not particularly attracted to but still is someone the MC wants to save from any harm, not being first-choice material but 'good enough' to live your entire life beside with, AND being 100% supportive of her LI even if the whole world turns against him DESPITE him chasing another woman? Yeah Rem, welcome to the honorary osananajimi club; you're more like the childhood friend trope than a lot of actual childhood friends in anime.

Not sure why people are blaming Subaru though for not choosing her. Rem was given Subaru on a silver platter, and she refused it. Would have been better if she's someone who would take her LI at any cost, but no, author decides that Rem is someone who would rather have her LI be happy with the one he wants despite her feelings. At least he's consistent that way.

Is she totally out of the running? Sure, the SubaRem ship has a lot of holes, but it's not totally sunk yet. She will most probably will be sacrificed one way or another in order for Emilia to live (because that's exactly her character; self-sacrificing even if it means her LI gets to be with who he loves), but as long as she lives there's a slight chance in the future that the MC will look at her properly. So ganbatte, both to Rem and Mirage (of Macross), underdog LIs of currently airing anime!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 13:12   Link #125
moridin84
Custom User Title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBsdOu-Xd2o

I wish someone translated these radio things. This is episode 19 with Rem's voice actress guest staring.

Most especially at around 15:15. I'm sure I heard an R.M.T there. Also "Emilia-tan main heroine" and "Emilia-tan mob heroine".
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 13:32   Link #126
larethian

You should have listened to the Matsuoka one. It was damn hilarious DEATH!! But yeah, RE:ZERO radio is one of the more enjoyable anime-based web radios I've heard.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBsdOu-Xd2o

I wish someone translated these radio things. This is episode 19 with Rem's voice actress guest staring.

Most especially at around 15:15. I'm sure I heard an R.M.T there. Also "Emilia-tan main heroine" and "Emilia-tan mob heroine".
Just heard it. They were reading the 2nd mail from the audience. He talked about how great Rem was in ep 18 and RMT=Rem-rin Maji Tenshi. But he and Puck like Emilia more. He (the mail sender) then proceeded to talk about liking the different great scenes between Subaru and Emilia, in a similar manner as when Rem talked to Subaru about what she liked about him. He ended off by saying Emilia is his main heroine and if Emilia were to think that she is a mob heroine, then why not do a fresh start with this radio, from one, no from zero!

Last edited by larethian; 2016-08-01 at 13:56.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 14:42   Link #127
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Screw it. If I were Subaru, I'd choose Emilia too. Why? Because Emilia has Puck. And if I get Emilia, I'll get Puck too! Yeah baby, Puck 4 life!!!
Team Emilia here. Fueled by my love for elves or half-elves. I have confidence in the author and am fine with whoever Subaru end with since he said in a Q&A he already have a rough outline of the story planned up to the end.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 14:50   Link #128
moridin84
Custom User Title

I just watched all the Re:Zero shorts and realized that all you guys are all wrong.

The best girl is still Ram. I forgot because she wasn't around much recently. How embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
You should have listened to the Matsuoka one. It was damn hilarious DEATH!! But yeah, RE:ZERO radio is one of the more enjoyable anime-based web radios I've heard.

Just heard it. They were reading the 2nd mail from the audience. He talked about how great Rem was in ep 18 and RMT=Rem-rin Maji Tenshi. But he and Puck like Emilia more. He (the mail sender) then proceeded to talk about liking the different great scenes between Subaru and Emilia, in a similar manner as when Rem talked to Subaru about what she liked about him. He ended off by saying Emilia is his main heroine and if Emilia were to think that she is a mob heroine, then why not do a fresh start with this radio, from one, no from zero!
Ohhh, it's a fan letter. Make makes sense.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 15:23   Link #129
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I still like Rem a lot. And I eventually forgave True Tears for something much like this, so I'll probably do the same for Re:Zero.
True Tears is even with both parties while Rem has a fiesta to herself

"We're not considering X's perspective" is the line folks use when justifying a perfunctory plot point not being a developed narrative. Freedom of preference does not mean freedom from the author; underestimating the viewers' eyesight for development like that never justified one's preference over the actions the author portrayed
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 16:42   Link #130
Ringil

Man Team Rem is so much better than Team Emilia honestly. This episode woulda been perfect, but it was really painful to watch Subaru. Despite how much I dislike him, I have to appreciate the detail that goes into drawing his facial expressions.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 17:17   Link #131
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I do that for my friends, and I have friends that do that for me, do you not have any friends that just comforts you when you're sad?

I've always said she was nice, I've said that is the extent of her character. She's the most 2 dimensional character so far. That her entire character thus far can be summed up in 1 sentence.

Pretty Sure Arc 2 took like 2 weeks, from the moment he woke up to the moment he dies to loop back again, and he was unconscious for a few days before the battle against the Mabeast. And after arc 2, it's an untold amount of time from then to when they travel to the Capital. And it takes like what 3 days if taken the short route from the mansion to the capital? And then 2 to 3 days till the elections ceremony.

So yes, it was a few weeks.

The dude has literally been trying to get in her panties since forever, he wasn't cryptic about it. No it's not legit. If she couldn't figure that out, I don't know what to say.

How hard is it to figure out that he loves her? Can't she put 1 and 2 together?

She literally went emotionally blank when he started yelling at her. Like she didn't want to put up with it anymore. That's why I said she went "bye bitch"

If only she tried, if she didn't turn her back on him, if she just stayed and kept and talking to him, Subaru wouldn't end up in the state that he was in. Rem kept pushing, when she could've easily walked away the same way Emilia did.

We don't know much about what goes on in Emilia's head, she's highly underdeveloped.

She's taking it all completely wrong, she thinks that he's treating her special because of her position/race/association, when that has nothing to do with it. He's treating her special because he's in love with her. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I know I sound like a broken record, how can she not know this?

You're right, Emilia didn't spend much time with Subaru, she doesn't know Subaru as well as Rem, Subaru doesn't know Emilia at all as well. Meaning, Emilia only cares about Subaru because she's a nice person.

I still don't get Subaru's extreme attachment to Emilia, I really don't. They barely spent any time together, they really don't know each other all that well. Subaru's attachment is extremely superficial.
Arc 2 took place over a 5 day period which was more or less a week not 2. Afterwards there was a two week break (there are some side-stories that detail what went on in that period) before Royal Election started. After the that whole fiasco over only 3 days had since Subaru and Emilia's separation. So up on til that Emilia hs just much time with him as Rem, with her only gaining 3 extra days which don't seem ti have amount to much all. So saying Rem spent more time with him isn't really true to a signficant degree. This no even bring up the pint Emilia and Subaru have actually gone out together and we have seen them in scenes with village chidren, so I don't know where this idea they haven't been around each other frequently came from.

Furthermore Rem doesn't know Subaru all that well either(as pointed out and acknowledged by both parties), nor is it what her love for him is based on. So there is no point arguing from this angle because it doesn't benefit her side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
True Tears is even with both parties while Rem has a fiesta to herself

"We're not considering X's perspective" is the line folks use when justifying a perfunctory plot point not being a developed narrative. Freedom of preference does not mean freedom from the author; underestimating the viewers' eyesight for development like that never justified one's preference over the actions the author portrayed
This doesn't give one a blank check to disregard that is in fact an adaptation of an ongoing narrative. Most books/manga/whatever aren't written and tailored to work in time limited visual mediums likre TV and movies to begin. So unless it is a complete work it should be plainly obivious not everything is going to be resolved or explored especially if certain characters and plot aren't where they need to be yet.

In all honesty this arc really isn't so much Subaru x Rem as it just about Subaru. Rem can serve as emotional archor because the cirmcumstances sourronding Subaru her mindset and position afford the oppouinty to do so. This do not sudden mean that she wins because this clearly nowhere endgame status even if your trying to separate the adaptation from it's source. Relationships at this stage can still go anywhere. As far one knows Rem could be out of spotlight for next arc once Subaru redeems himself and it is no longer convienent for her to be the only one around him.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-01 at 17:31.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 17:48   Link #132
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
This doesn't give one a blank check to disregard that is in fact an adaptation of an ongoing narrative. Most books/manga/whatever aren't written and tailored to work in time limited visual medium to begin. So unless it is a complete work it should be plainly obivious not everything is going to be resolved or explored especially if certain characters and plot aren't where they need to be yet.

In all honesty this arc really isn't so much Subaru x Rem as it just about Subaru. Rem can serve as emotional archor because the cirmcumstances sourronding Subaru her mindset and position afford the oppouinty to do so. This do not sudden mean that she wins because this clearly nowhere endgame status even if your trying to separate the adaptation from it's source. Relationships at this stage can still go anywhere
This show is being judged on its own merits and on where it currently stands. The later game can develop Emilia more, but this is an infrequent trope of harems for the MC to have a strongly developed relationship with every heroine, to the point no heroine is special because all of them are treated as special. Story elements in progress must also not contradict each other's end results. Current grievances toward the romantic situation are justified
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 18:31   Link #133
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

Quote:
As far one knows Rem could be out of spotlight for next arc once Subaru redeems himself and it is no longer convienent for her to be the only one around him.
Please make the next arc Subaru x Beatrice. We need MC x drill loli to succeed the meido arc.

On a more serious note, it seems such a shame for this arc to spend so much time developing the relationship between Subaru and Rem just for her to be moved out of the spotlight. I would prefer that the author spend some time investing into making Subaru even more dependent on Rem--making her his partner and confidante as much as his inability to talk about his RbD ability would allow.

Only then would the time to remove her from the story, preferably due to Subaru's screwup, and preferably not long before another save point.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 18:34   Link #134
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
This show is being judged on its own merits and on where it currently stands. The later game can develop Emilia more, but this is an infrequent trope of harems for the MC to have a strongly developed relationship with every heroine, to the point no heroine is special because all of them are treated as special. Story elements in progress must also not contradict each other's end results. Current grievances toward the romantic situation are justified
And that mindset would be flawed because you are still judging an incomplete work as if were a complete one. You can not completely remove a adaptation from it's source unless the adaptation drops it. If we were watching an original show then evaluting strictly only on it's own merits makes more sense because at least with that they are often structured tell their entire story in one setting since they little in the way of an excuse not to do so. Now I'm not saying you can't judge anything as it, but you certianly can factor what can kind of show you're dealing with to give it a fair shake. Context matters when comes to critique anything.

At this point in the story while everyone is an relationship of sorts but nobody is in a romantic one. It's all purely one-sided among specific individuals who the have potenial be in one. Furthermore just because Emilia is the main heroine doesn't not mean she needs to be in an immediate love interest with Subaru nor does it mean can't turn into a mutural related one later. They relationship is one of the most constantly developing ones in the show regardless of were it is at, case in point see Arc 1-2 were they got on well together compared to Arc 3 where it is very much strained. But none of it contradicts eachother simply because the end results have to yet to be reached. Rather if anything the problems now may play into create a stronger bond because conflict can bring about the awareness necessary do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
Please make the next arc Subaru x Beatrice. We need MC x drill loli to succeed the meido arc.
Nah, man Subaru x Reinhard is where it's at

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-01 at 19:05.
Old 2016-08-01, 19:13   Link #135
Applehell

Quote:

On a more serious note, it seems such a shame for this arc to spend so much time developing the relationship between Subaru and Rem just for her to be moved out of the spotlight. I would prefer that the author spend some time investing into making Subaru even more dependent on Rem--making her his partner and confidante as much as his inability to talk about his RbD ability would allow.

Only then would the time to remove her from the story, preferably due to Subaru's screwup, and preferably not long before another save point.
There is no telling where Subaru and Rem relationship will go, but it seriously needs to be kept in mind that Subaru had been interacting and establishing dynamics with others beyond just her for a long time now. This how pretty large cast so can't expect her reasonably remain thr limelight forever just because.
Old 2016-08-01, 20:28   Link #136
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Next episode is titled "From Zero". Get hyped.
That was the chapter that turned normal novel readers into raving fans who won't shut the hell up.
I didn't believe it until I actually watched the episode. He was right.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 21:13   Link #137
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Triple R

Don't lose hope. Given how big Re:Zero author's balls are, there is an high chance that some fucked up shit will happen in the future with Emilia which will give another chance for Rem to win Subaru's heart. Thing is, there is also an high probability for the author to kill Rem destroying all your hopes and dreams too..lol
That's would be just cold and messed up...I'm actually somewhat terrified to see that happen. Rem is like the only shining light of hope left in the show.
Old 2016-08-01, 21:20   Link #138
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
I am rather skeptical of the idea that Emilia is nice, actually. Her contract with Puck seems to include a clause that says, "If I die, destroy the world." This is the sort of thing that makes me pause and wonder just what she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I'm not sure that's something she had any say over, tho. We'll have to wait and see, anyway.
I'm with Incest, if she claims to want to be the next kind ruler and yada yada. One would try to preserve their life better and the fact that Puck is pretty much useless in defending his/her master from surprised attacks leads me to think otherwise. While Emilia could actually be a nice person her aloofness and denseness gets her and others sometimes into serious trouble. She hates to be causing problems for others yet she doesn't seem to try not to be a burden.
Old 2016-08-01, 21:40   Link #139
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

this arc is all about how Rem sacrificed herself for Subaru

three loops by sacrificing her life, while in this loop, she sacrificed her feeling
but oh well, that way, she could make sure that Subaru would always notice her
about Subaru's feeling toward Emilia, I could say that it is weird love, or more likely a blind love

now what is his next plan? Is he going to force those three candidates to help him again this time?
I feel like we could finally rely on Subaru on this arc

I could say that Rem is endangered character in anime realm nowadays.. we need more Rem:Zero
make a spinoff for her already! truly best girl ever...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 23:09   Link #140
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Nah, man Subaru x Reinhard is where it's at
Nah, man, Subaru x Julius is where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I'm with Incest
/obligatory cutting off at the perfect spot for misleading context