AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2020-07-14, 19:32   Link #121
manifla
Wait, what?

I like to think of it like this:
Talisman, the head of the Hydra family is immaculately dressed, well spoken, clever, erudite, excellent at planning and extremely patient when need be - as well as being capable of instant action. As a spokesman for the Nebulis Sovereignty, he is extremely effective. Alice would have a lot and a lot of trouble believing that he would ever harm anyone in her family.
Spoiler for Context:

There's definitely rationality going on. There are definitely people who are willing to take a stand and fight against the stagnation of the endless war, fight against popular opinion and shape the future as they see fit.
But many of those people can be so utterly ruthless and callous that it's almost madness, insanity at the same time. I can see how the streams are crossing!
manifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-14, 21:25   Link #122
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifla View Post
I like to think of it like this:
Talisman, the head of the Hydra family is immaculately dressed, well spoken, clever, erudite, excellent at planning and extremely patient when need be - as well as being capable of instant action. As a spokesman for the Nebulis Sovereignty, he is extremely effective. Alice would have a lot and a lot of trouble believing that he would ever harm anyone in her family.
Spoiler for Context:

There's definitely rationality going on. There are definitely people who are willing to take a stand and fight against the stagnation of the endless war, fight against popular opinion and shape the future as they see fit.
But many of those people can be so utterly ruthless and callous that it's almost madness, insanity at the same time. I can see how the streams are crossing!
Calling it madness because it treads on your sensibilities is a bit narrow-minded, wouldn't you say? Not everyone is incapable of wearing their heart anywhere other than their sleeve. You can know a man's face but never his heart.

Quote:
...immaculately dressed, well spoken, clever, erudite, excellent at planning and extremely patient when need be...
Y'know, none of these qualities really say anything about his allegiance or moral character. Does he lose these qualities when he turns into a evil villain who can't go 3 three seconds without bursting into maniacal laughter or explaining his evil plot to someone?

This man is willing to betray Queen and country. Callous, ruthless, and without guilt. These are all a given and the least he should be. I'd call this competence. I can understand surprise and horror on Alice's part, but calling this madness and insanity just screams naive. Not something you want in a leader of a country. For goodness sake, you evaluated his moral character based on his job performance. Hardly a reliable metric.

From what you've told me, this man has a goal and a plan. All his actions and behavior he exhibited thus far has been in rational service to his plan. Where is the madness in this?
Old 2020-07-19, 16:49   Link #123
manifla
Wait, what?

Secret File is five stories plus a short epilogue, one story and the epilogue are new. There are something like 15 “short” stories that Sazane Kei could’ve picked from (Dragon Magazine releases), not to mention quite a few shop specific releases (which are really really short). That said, these are in the middle tier of ridiculousness (the stories about the artist or martial arts are just slapstick incarnate)
Spoiler for Iska's situation:

Spoiler for Story #1:

Spoiler for Story #2:

Spoiler for Story #3:

Story #4 is Alice's wedding interviews as seen before
Spoiler for Story #5, the first new one:

Spoiler for Epilogue:

Volume 10 is scheduled to be released in October this year, with the anime.
“Let’s talk about old times – when the ancestor was a girl living in the Imperial Capital”
Iska’s path to the Imperial city has been blocked by a strong enemy (no idea) while Alice confront a turbulent choice and again confront the strongest and oldest witch.
Old 2020-07-19, 17:04   Link #124
manifla
Wait, what?

[QUOTE=bakato;6429261]Calling it madness because it treads on your sensibilities is a bit narrow-minded, wouldn't you say?[/spoiler]

Insanity is in part defined as against societal norms, and I have no issue with my opinions, thank you. Do you want to argue with me that Talisman is in any way like the rest of the Nebulis Sovereignty?

Quote:
This man is willing to betray Queen and country. Callous, ruthless, and without guilt. These are all a given and the least he should be. I'd call this competence. I can understand surprise and horror on Alice's part, but calling this madness and insanity just screams naive
Call it what you want. I call it a absolute disregard for lives, allegiances and honesty, a man who's detached from any kind of morality.
Even some guilt or self-doubt or even real courtesy would allow him to join the ranks of ruthless people who at the very least managed to hold on to their humanity. Here, it's all a giant, perfect facade. To me, that's insanity to be able to do all of this without even breaking the mask once. A perfect psychopath.

Quote:
For goodness sake, you evaluated his moral character based on his job performance.
Should I have mentioned that he acts very kind and gentle which also allows him to be an effective spokesperson, which is true? And you forget that I am not Alice.
Old 2020-07-19, 22:26   Link #125
Hillwave3

I have a quick question. It is about an earlier part of the story and may be spoilers so I am asking before hand if we can talk about the series as a whole or if this thread is only for current stuff.
Hillwave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-19, 23:21   Link #126
bakato

[QUOTE=manifla;6430059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Calling it madness because it treads on your sensibilities is a bit narrow-minded, wouldn't you say?[/spoiler]

Insanity is in part defined as against societal norms, and I have no issue with my opinions, thank you. Do you want to argue with me that Talisman is in any way like the rest of the Nebulis Sovereignty?

Call it what you want. I call it a absolute disregard for lives, allegiances and honesty, a man who's detached from any kind of morality.
Even some guilt or self-doubt or even real courtesy would allow him to join the ranks of ruthless people who at the very least managed to hold on to their humanity. Here, it's all a giant, perfect facade. To me, that's insanity to be able to do all of this without even breaking the mask once. A perfect psychopath.

Should I have mentioned that he acts very kind and gentle which also allows him to be an effective spokesperson, which is true? And you forget that I am not Alice.
Insanity and madness are defined by irrationality and lack of logical consistency. It's literally the definition and they have little to do with societal perceptions.

Oh, you're absolutely right on all counts. But it's not like we don't have leaders like that, eh? You think Trump, Putin, and Xi feel guilt? Maybe, I don't know. Psychopath or not, these traits are consistent with his goals, are they not? Call him a psychopath, but insane and mad? No.

Uh, yes. It's kinda weird you never mentioned anything in regard to his personality. Kindness and gentleness have nothing to do with being an effective spokesperson. It's a job where you make announcements on behalf of the nation. You need to juggle connections and be able to talk.
Old 2020-07-20, 06:29   Link #127
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillwave3 View Post
I have a quick question. It is about an earlier part of the story and may be spoilers so I am asking before hand if we can talk about the series as a whole or if this thread is only for current stuff.
This thread is for discussing the novel series as a whole. You can ask questions about an earlier part if you wish.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 11:00   Link #128
Hillwave3

Good my question is: Early in the series Alice drugs the main mc and this angered me. Does she ever pay for basically roofieing him? Does she ever get punished for her actions?
Old 2020-07-20, 12:03   Link #129
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Good my question is: Early in the series Alice drugs the main mc and this angered me. Does she ever pay for basically roofieing him? Does she ever get punished for her actions?
Alice didn't drug him. Rin did that without her knowledge and against her will.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 12:17   Link #130
Hillwave3

Didn't she basically kidnap him though? Does he get her back for this? And does Rin pay for her actions?
Old 2020-07-20, 12:49   Link #131
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Didn't she basically kidnap him though? Does he get her back for this? And does Rin pay for her actions?
She let him go pretty soon.

Old 2020-07-20, 13:10   Link #132
Hillwave3

Ok, I'm not trying to fight, I just want to know if the two of them pay for their actions as I feel like what she did was vile.
Old 2020-07-20, 22:31   Link #133
manifla
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Insanity and madness are defined by irrationality and lack of logical consistency.
Now you're taking the definition of mental instability and making it apply to informal terms. Informal terms which are indeed defined by violations of societal norms among a pretty wide spread of things, but stick with what you like.

Quote:
But it's not like we don't have leaders like that, eh? You think Trump, Putin, and Xi feel guilt?
Is there a light novel I can read for the author give me the absolute truth about those individuals?
Because if not, it has no bearing to this conversation, or anything to do with Talisman.
And even if it did, it still has no bearing on this topic and I'd be making a killing on day trading instead. The end.

Quote:
Kindness and gentleness have nothing to do with being an effective spokesperson. It's a job where you make announcements on behalf of the nation. You need to juggle connections and be able to talk.
First Alice is so naive that she can be fooled so easily by a perfect disguise - but now she was just fooled because you thought Talisman could talk effectively and rub shoulders?
Really?
Maybe work on your messaging there.
Old 2020-09-21, 03:53   Link #134
Kazandu
Striker

any news about vol. 10?
Old 2020-09-29, 03:44   Link #135
Tascan

Please tell me: what are the chances of a good ending here and that the main characters will stay together? Is it worth reading if so?
Tascan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 09:53   Link #136
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tascan View Post
Please tell me: what are the chances of a good ending here and that the main characters will stay together? Is it worth reading if so?
I think this will probably have a nice ending.

Old 2020-10-01, 18:57   Link #137
manifla
Wait, what?

Volume 10 out 10/17/20
https://fantasiabunko.jp/product/201...003001178.html

Alice did change her wardrobe in 9 to make a statement as the Substitute Queen (mother is recuperating) that the Lou family will never surrender or give up.
Great artwork, but I prefer her original dress
Old 2020-10-09, 10:40   Link #138
dragon213

Quote:
Rin came up with that idea which alice was against as well, but when mismis came, she had no choice but to take him since it otherwise would look bad for them if they let him go there, however she never planned on keeping him a prisoner and got mad at rin when she mistreated him due to suspicion of him. Alice treated him quite well actually even though he was a prisoner as most of what she did was keep him attached to her by a chain. The bad one in that situation what rin, however she would've been a fool to let her guard down just like that, even though she later find out that he does have honor and to a certain degree started respecting him, realizing that he won't fight them unless on a battlefield and that he doesn't really want to do them harm.

Though it doesn't mean that does like him now, just respect him a little, just like alice, even though she is romantically interested in him, even though she was unaware of it then (alice I mean)

Last edited by dragon213; 2020-10-09 at 11:11.
dragon213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 14:44   Link #139
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I wonder why Mismis didn't nullify Alice's power though,

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-09, 17:45   Link #140
dragon213

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
I wonder why Mismis didn't nullify Alice's power though,
When he got kidnapped? First of all they were in a neutral city where they weren't allowed to have weapons, second of all if you meant her powers she had just a few days at most, how was she supposed to use them when she didn't even know how to.
dragon213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem