Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-16, 08:12   Link #121
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
That data is publicly available online for anyone to view. And the virus is literally everywhere globally, it's not like it's properties are hidden.
The world gets a small part of filtered information from China and based on that information they assessed the fatality of the virus. If the information is inaccurate and scientists don't see the whole picture about the origin of the virus to the mutation if any to the numbers of deaths, they don't know the severity of the virus. And that's where we are. The fact of the matter is China wasn't being truthful as they have a lot to hide and this derailed the effort to contain the virus. I used to think they were messing around with bio weapon and then one unfinalized version escaped but now with them blaming it on the US then comes out like the hero to save the day, I'm starting to think it was part of their plan all along.

People feel so smart and justified to bash the US for anything and everything. When I criticize China for what it is and people go on the defensive and offensive. Is China soft power getting to this small corner of amimesuki too? People must know something I don't and already start earning brownie points.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 10:21   Link #122
James Rye

Dow Jones is down by 12%, damn. This means nearly all gains under Trump which he loves to boost about are wiped out, one year before the election. If the US economy will hit a recession, and it looks like it will by going down 3% at the latest guesses, this would take out all the wind of his "I know what is good for the economy" bs. The FED did what he always wanted and what did it achieve? Nothing, people got even more panicky because they think if they go this far that this must be really serious.
2020 gonna be a real tough year.
Wish I had money to buy at the end of the crisis though, lots of those downs are bounds to go up sometime later.
Old 2020-03-16, 10:58   Link #123
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Wish I had money to buy at the end of the crisis though, lots of those downs are bounds to go up sometime later.
But what if the trumptard has acchieved to plunge the world economy into another great depression? With interest rates nearly at 0 and the budget deficit at an all time high, now there is little they can do now to jumpstart the economy, which has been hit by his trade war with china.

Now, the scary part 14% of Recovered Covid-19 Patients in Guangdong Tested Positive Again. covid-19 might be here to stay.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 11:28   Link #124
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
The world gets a small part of filtered information from China and based on that information they assessed the fatality of the virus. If the information is inaccurate and scientists don't see the whole picture about the origin of the virus to the mutation if any to the numbers of deaths, they don't know the severity of the virus. And that's where we are.
No that's not where we are.

You seem to speak as if the experiences of countries outside China seem to count for nothing. You seem to think the virus outside China is a black box that is somehow invulnerable to the probing of scientists....as if it gains a magical force field once it leaves China's borders. I don't know what world it is you live in really, but that's not how medical research works. The world is not relying purely on Chinese sources to study the virus. I do not know why you would think so given that the virus is now readily available everywhere in every patient.

And FYI, what we see in Wuhan in the early days mirrors what is happening around the West now. The epidemiologic profile of the virus is clear to everyone for nearly two months now. Needless to say also, the many groups working on the virus in those days included plenty of non-chinese ones.

And don't cheapen the deaths of those in Asia like this. There are numerous Asian countries besides China that tanked this before you Westerners ever did and no one was hiding anything from the scientific community. Blame your governments for fucking up despite more than adequate warning, not the quality of scientific information.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is China wasn't being truthful as they have a lot to hide and this derailed the effort to contain the virus. I used to think they were messing around with bio weapon and then one unfinalized version escaped but now with them blaming it on the US then comes out like the hero to save the day, I'm starting to think it was part of their plan all along.
Yes, because viruses magically become immune to study once they leave China or that scientists outside China are too dumb to do their own research on them apparently

I realize none of you conspiracy peddlers actually address the various scientific reports that actually matter. Just on NCBI alone, there are 170 entries for SARS-COV-2 genome sequences. Many are from non-Chinese sources and have been there since January. But of course, we need to wait for information handouts from our CCP overlords am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
People feel so smart and justified to bash the US for anything and everything. When I criticize China for what it is and people go on the defensive and offensive. Is China soft power getting to this small corner of amimesuki too? People must know something I don't and already start earning brownie points.
So now apparently you think I buy into CCP soft power or that I even give two shits about the USA. Ironic.....The CCP doesn't need to move a muscle to blind your perceptions to reality. Who's the one being influenced by their softpower now? As someone who has every reason to loathe the CCP, I find it pathetic that a Westerner with no ties to the East Asian region can spew such self-righteous crap while compromising through fake news, their own society's ability to resist a disease coming out of China.

On the other hand what have you conspiracy peddlers achieved besides driving people to mental breakdown and suicide? And don't say I exaggerate because it has already happened. Look up the case of the Indian guy who thought he was infected after browsing internet forums and commited suicide as a result. One wonders whether you even know how much damage unwarranted fear will do to your own societies in the midst of all this or whether do you all even care

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2020-03-16 at 12:01.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 13:38   Link #125
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Covid-19 Vaccine testing is underway:

https://apnews.com/8089a3d0ec8f9fde971bddd7b3aa2ba1

At best it will be available in a year (overpriced for all 'murricans), that is if the vaccine works (afaik no successful vaccine for any coronavirus has been developed so far). Of course the rich and influential will get it first, just the same as the test kits have not been available for the poor and disenfranchised.

At worse by then trumpo will declare a full trade war with china and guess where does the USA vaccines are manufactured nowadays?

The silver lining in all this is that I eagerly awaiting the moment all those people that have given their full support to trump to turn on him, piranhas do eat their own. ATM they are no doubt praying to their true god, the golden bull, which seems to not be hearing their prayers.
Old 2020-03-16, 13:49   Link #126
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That anything vital to survival comes out of China really pisses off some of the older Vietnam era veterans. The whole idea of getting medications out of a communist country instead of making it ourselves really gets to the ones that were for the idea of a general war with North Vietnam (the "if we are going to war, lets fight to win, rather than pander to the politicians and just piss off the locals"). Mostly because they view communists as the enemy, and believe the enemy is still trying to hurt them via tainted medications, foods, and now diseases.
Old 2020-03-16, 14:57   Link #127
ramlaen

Huh, go figure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...sponse-office/
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 15:08   Link #128
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
An opinion piece written by "senior fellow at the Hudson Institute" (a politically conservative, non-profit American think tank based in Washington, D.C.) and part of the Trump administration. Nothing to see here, same old "lets protect our beloved supreme leader or be fired with prejudice".
Old 2020-03-16, 16:01   Link #129
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
An opinion piece written by "senior fellow at the Hudson Institute" (a politically conservative, non-profit American think tank based in Washington, D.C.) and part of the Trump administration. Nothing to see here, same old "lets protect our beloved supreme leader or be fired with prejudice".
This doesn't fit my chosen political narrative, I can dismiss it because [thing unrelated to what was said].
Old 2020-03-16, 16:12   Link #130
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...pandemic-team/
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 16:47   Link #131
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's almost as if this is the sort of article the WaPo piece was a response to.
Quote:
One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented.
Old 2020-03-16, 16:49   Link #132
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
This doesn't fit my chosen political narrative, I can dismiss it because [thing unrelated to what was said].
You are under the assumption I have a "political narrative". For that I would need to be a democrat or undecided voter, but I am neither. I have criticized democrats just the same and I have never voted in a USA election (for obvious reasons).

In the 20th century the USA government used to have credibility, at home or abroad. But here and now the Trump administration does not. He lies with each and everyday and his collaborators are no different. It is a safe bet to think anything that comes out of the executive branch is a lie.

You think everyone here does not see you trying to set the narrative of the GOP, bending like a pretzel in the hope to get some converts to the cause before the November elections. Give up, even if Biden and Sanders die of covid-19, there is no chance of trump getting re-elected now that he has trashed the economy (like bush jr and bush father did before him).

Now, if you excuse us, we come to this thread to read some facts, propaganda can stay at the door.
Old 2020-03-16, 16:58   Link #133
coded321
He Who Games

Quote:
I don't suppose you have a free version of this article? Would love to read it, but the stock market just lost the gains made from the rally i.e dead cat bounce on friday, and it seems we're very likely to enter into a recession soon so i would really like to save up on money instead of spending it on a subscription i would never use. Sorry, i can't really determine for myself how factual and objective an OPINION piece is if i can't read it.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 17:01   Link #134
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
You are under the assumption I have a "political narrative". For that I would need to be a democrat or undecided voter, but I am neither. I have criticized democrats just the same and I have never voted in a USA election (for obvious reasons).

In the 20th century the USA government used to have credibility, at home or abroad. But here and now the Trump administration does not. He lies with each and everyday and his collaborators are no different. It is a safe bet to think anything that comes out of the executive branch is a lie.

You think everyone here does not see you trying to set the narrative of the GOP, bending like a pretzel in the hope to get some converts to the cause before the November elections. Give up, even if Biden and Sanders die of covid-19, there is no chance of trump getting re-elected now that he has trashed the economy (like bush jr and bush father did before him).
I'm not assuming, you just stated yours.

Quote:
Now, if you excuse us, we come to this thread to read some facts, propaganda can stay at the door.
I agree, please abide your own request while we are at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coded321 View Post
I don't suppose you have a free version of this article? Would love to read it, but the stock market just lost the gains made from the rally i.e dead cat bounce on friday, and it seems we're very likely to enter into a recession soon so i would really like to save up on money instead of spending it on a subscription i would never use. Sorry, i can't really determine how factual and objective an OPINION piece is if i can't read it.
Try clearing your cookies for WaPo's site.
Old 2020-03-16, 17:31   Link #135
coded321
He Who Games

oh hey, i found this WaPo article, written by Beth Cameron, the former DIRECTOR of the pandemic team.
"I ran the White House pandemic office. Trump closed it."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...96f_story.html

Last edited by coded321; 2020-03-16 at 17:47.
Old 2020-03-16, 17:32   Link #136
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

This thread is a perfect representation of the West's response to Coronavirus: Spending most of the time arguing politics in a pandemic discussion
Old 2020-03-16, 17:34   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's almost as if this is the sort of article the WaPo piece was a response to.
That he (or, as he would say, his administration) downsized the department is a fact the response doesn't deny. That it doesn't matter is an opinion.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-16, 17:43   Link #138
coded321
He Who Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
This thread is a perfect representation of the West's response to Coronavirus: Spending most of the time arguing politics in a pandemic discussion
America, f**k yeeaaahh!! but seriously though, my city is doing a lockdown in response to the virus, having all residents stay at home til april. As such, i don't really have much else to do beside lurking on forums and hate posting at trump.
Old 2020-03-16, 18:46   Link #139
Liddo-kun
is this so?

this cake is from China, and now the entire world is suffering for it. sorry, can't help but feel a lot of anger..

my income for the whole month is ruined. Not only monetary loss, the threat of death is present as well.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-17, 00:46   Link #140
Toukairin
Banned

Some good news for Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. They have been released from hospital after receiving treatment and are now undergoing self-quarantine at their Australian home for the moment.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote