AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 10 43.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 34.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 13.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-24, 21:33   Link #121
novalysis

I find that Chika's been rapidly climbing up my list, since about episode 6. Largely, because her entire character arc of assuming the mantle of leadership and learning to lead is being done so well, and largely because of how self-aware she is of what she's going through right now.

For the first time in her life, expectations are being placed on her, people are counting on her, people have invested confidence and time into her project, she has promised her team members things they want through that project and so on - in other words, this is the first time she really has responsibility. And it's an alien experience to her, and it is understandably terrifying, and it is to Riko she shares to the audience what lies beneath that Genki mask. The most remarkable thing is that she is leading partly with a mixture of deliberation built on-top intuitions of what she thinks a leader should be, and without any mentor guiding her through that experience; though thankfully, with a friend who understands the pressures Chika. And I think it's safe to say, that the very first friendship of her Adult life is with Riko.

Leading Aqours for her is a coming of age experience, and Sunshine has written Chika such that she realizes this is her maiden leadership experience extremely quickly. Chika is at that transition point where one's childhood starts bleeding into adulthood. I'd dare say the first adult experience that happen in her life, was after running around the school gleefully noting the parallels of their school's situation to Muse - and then every member of Aqours essentially rallying behind her and then asking: what next? I don't think it's a coincidence that Chika starts sharing with Riko the pressure she feels after that point.

So yes, Chika is rapidly climbing up my favorites in ranking here. And I think that the writers are planning for her to undergo one of the most substantial character development out of the entire cast.

But if you were to ask for my ranking favourites, it would still be Yohane, Mari and followed by Chika than Hanamaru (Chika having recently overtaken Hanamaru) , and pending the third year arc concluding, Dia. I can easily see myself writing another post highlighting how Yohane Chuuni antics (which we know, she is fully aware of) is actually the first year parallel of Chika putting up a brave front for the entire group.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 21:37   Link #122
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

I find that Kanan's been rapidly climbing up my list... just kidding XD
Old 2016-08-25, 01:11   Link #123
Kakurin
大佐

Used this to sort through and it kind of fits I guess:

1) Zuramaru
T2) Riko
T2) Ruby
4) Dia
5) You
6) Chika
T7) Yohane
T7) Mari

(I excluded Kanan from the list, she was also T2, but I haven't seen enough of her in the anime to make a judgement)

To provide some comments, Yohane's low ranking is because I can't get along with expressive chūni-antics. To me they are cringeworthy, doesn't matter whether it's Yoshiko now or Rikka in Chūnibyō. Mari places low because I just consider her character overdone. Between the faking of the accent and her being the chairman of the school I can't rank her over the others.

Dia has gone up the list due to the recent development while You's lost a couple of spots, she really needs a characterisation episode at some point.
Old 2016-08-25, 09:52   Link #124
Pen3

I though that i would write my current impression on the show since it has changed drastically after the past 2 episodes. What impresses me was how well the studio has upped their game in fixing what the first two season lacked. The original didn't have very good characterization at all, it was mainly the Honoka/Kotori/Umi trio and that was still fairly weak. Sunshine is very much dynamic with the Kurosawa sisters, Chika and Kanan, then we have Dia, Mari, and Kanan all intervened in their little setting. There is relationship in the age gaps and they all had their own little story and drama. Most of the characters have been friends or colleagues since childhood, even Yohane and Hanamaru and that's what made Sunshine stood out over the original.

The better story and character was a great welcome, but they also brought something new that i just hated. This was the main reason why i was soo harsh about the beginning of the series. The overreacting and overacting in the beginning was what killed me, it was very unnatural and gave the impression that everyone was on speed, especially the first 2 episodes. I also think that this was the main reason why people dropped the show early as somebody new to the franchise or even viewers from the original series. Add the overly use of Muse reference and i pretty much lost hope in the series after episode 5, but i was still going to watch it since i am a fan of LL. At the same time, things were actually slowing down and all that overacting was gone as the story progressed. The show suddenly left the childish atmosphere and started to have the girls become more serious in LL and find out that the world isn't fair. More of the 3rd years back story also gets revealed and the show literally took a 360 turn. If they continue on with how things are, Sunshine will undoubtedly be much better than the original and we aren't even done with season 1 yet.

Right now i still have complaints and the main one is their voice. They harmonized very good just like a real band does, but i think that is a weak point for a show that is much more character centered than just their music. When you listen to a musical bands, you don't really care about the actual singers life so it doesn't matter, but in a drama like this, you want that. The harmonizing makes it very hard to distinguish who is singing, unlike with muse, who don't harmonize, but you can clearly tell who is who. Then there is the solo parts that is very unimpressive when compared to Eli, Umi and Rin. The only voice i really like is Riko and i believe she is the voice that ties the group together, she is the Umi of the Aqours. Riko does well singing on her own and even better when paired with just about anyone else, the only solo album i look forward to from Aqours. You has the most disappointed voice of the group, she is easily the most pleasing to look at, but her singing is atrocious. I initially liked You in the promo, but the more i hear her voice, they worst it got. It sounds like they are forcing her to squeeze the notes from her throat to match her character. How do you even describe her voice?
PS: I still think Yohane is cringe worthy.

Last edited by Pen3; 2016-08-25 at 10:04.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 10:13   Link #125
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Voice is never a reason I use to dislike a character. Experience has showed that people can actually have those sorts of voices naturally and for me, it's against my morals to hate someone, even a fictional character, even when acting, based on their voice. It can be a reason to love character though, of course.
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 10:20   Link #126
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
The original didn't have very good characterization at all, it was mainly the Honoka/Kotori/Umi trio and that was still fairly weak. Sunshine is very much dynamic with the Kurosawa sisters, Chika and Kanan, then we have Dia, Mari, and Kanan all intervened in their little setting. There is relationship in the age gaps and they all had their own little story and drama. Most of the characters have been friends or colleagues since childhood, even Yohane and Hanamaru and that's what made Sunshine stood out over the original
Sunshine!!'s cast is more interconnected and the 3rd year drama is building three characters compared to OG's 1, but girl-for-girl the OG isn't weak
Images
this makes waaay too much sense
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Voice is never a reason I use to dislike a character. Experience has showed that people can actually have those sorts of voices naturally and for me, it's against my morals to hate someone, even a fictional character, even when acting, based on their voice. It can be a reason to love character though, of course.
Have you heard Satomi Arai's Kuroko Shirai?

Although I don't hate any of the Sunshine!! voices either
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 10:28   Link #127
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
There were actually a lot of surprised (JP) comments on Yohane having a very good singing voice when episode 5's solo ending queued in. That didn't happen to anyone else yet afaik so I believe Yohane's voice, at least her singing one, is probably better than you make it out to be.
Old 2016-08-25, 10:28   Link #128
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Yes I have, and she's still one of my favorite characters, if not my top girl from Railgun.
Old 2016-08-25, 10:35   Link #129
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
There were actually a lot of surprised (JP) comments on Yohane having a very good singing voice when episode 5's solo ending queued in. That didn't happen to anyone else yet afaik so I believe Yohane's voice, at least her singing one, is probably better than you make it out to be.
I didn't mean her voice, but her character is annoying.
Old 2016-08-25, 10:51   Link #130
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
I didn't mean her voice, but her character is annoying.
Fair enough. I do know some people who for the love of god cannot stand Nico from OG either, so... I guess there just has to be that 1 char that make people go "ew".
Old 2016-08-25, 11:51   Link #131
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
The overreacting and overacting in the beginning was what killed me, it was very unnatural and gave the impression that everyone was on speed, especially the first 2 episodes.
To add another POV, I felt the first episode was a perfect showcase of what Aqours are all about. After the audio dramas, I would have been very disappointed if the entrance episode was any different.

Quote:
Riko does well singing on her own and even better when paired with just about anyone else, the only solo album i look forward to from Aqours.
Chika, Yohane, and Maru will probably make you change your opinion.

Quote:
Then she does her job well. I never found her acting cringeworthy, though, compared to nico-nico-nii~ on my first bingewatch of OG. And her Yohane voice is just... perfect.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 14:05   Link #132
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
She's the only one to sing the ED by herself though, so there's that. I can see where Pen3's coming from. It's noticeable on the higher-pitched parts where the tone is squeezed and flat plus a tad nasal. Nothing that bothers me in particular though since as mentioned I tend to be rather generous in terms of pop music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Kuroko is a saint compared to Flora in Gakusen Toshi Asterisk. She drove people insane.

YouTube
Old 2016-08-25, 18:36   Link #133
novalysis

Quote:
I personally think Yohane's low voice is what makes her stand out - frankly, at higher pitches, King/Hanamaru basically is the much singer. Which is why I prefer Yohane's singing in Guilty Kiss songs, as oppose to Aqours songs, because Aqours songs tends not to employ Yohane's low voice. Yohane's low solos on the other hand are just amazing.

Also, here's a thought: both Riko and Yohane are in the same sub-unit, Guilty Kiss - and I think we do see excellent synergy between both voices in songs like Strawberry Trapper. I wonder what pen3 thinks of Riko in the Guilty Kiss context?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-25, 19:06   Link #134
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Also, here's a thought: both Riko and Yohane are in the same sub-unit, Guilty Kiss - and I think we do see excellent synergy between both voices in songs like Strawberry Trapper. I wonder what pen3 thinks of Riko in the Guilty Kiss context?
I don't like Yohane as a character, but have no quarrels as a singer. I don't have to deal with her exaggerating shenanigans when she is singing. She can crawl on the floor and do crazy faces all she wants, it doesn't matter because i am just listening to the music.
Old 2016-08-26, 00:21   Link #135
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I personally think Yohane's low voice is what makes her stand out - frankly, at higher pitches, King/Hanamaru basically is the much singer. Which is why I prefer Yohane's singing in Guilty Kiss songs, as oppose to Aqours songs, because Aqours songs tends not to employ Yohane's low voice. Yohane's low solos on the other hand are just amazing.

Also, here's a thought: both Riko and Yohane are in the same sub-unit, Guilty Kiss - and I think we do see excellent synergy between both voices in songs like Strawberry Trapper.
Riko and Yohane's voices compliment each other really well in Guilty Kiss, Guilty Night too. It probably has something to do with their seiyuus always hanging out.
I can't wait to hear a Yohane single. If her solo in Strawberry Trapper is a sample of what to expect, it's going to be Gothic and Glorious.
Mari's solo is going to sound something off of BabyMetal. Her voice is both high and powerful at times. I know Ainyan can do it.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 05:52   Link #136
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post

Kuroko is a saint compared to Flora in Gakusen Toshi Asterisk. She drove people insane.

YouTube
god, why you gotta bring Flora in this safe community?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 13:22   Link #137
zeross87

what happened off camera during ep 8 kannan x mari scene :

Last edited by zeross87; 2016-08-26 at 13:47.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 17:46   Link #138
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

#Diari
#TeamDia
Old 2016-08-26, 18:00   Link #139
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6b6eRa3.jpg[IMG]

what a stern face...desu wa
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 06:30   Link #140
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post

<snip>

Haha. Good one there. You deserve a cookie.

Looks like the result the love triangle has been decided. ^^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote