3 out of 10 : Bad 2 4.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.04%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-06, 15:12   Link #121
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
My main issue with the Walkure girls is that their physical abilities seem superhuman.
Hmm... maybe the planet is just relatively low-G? I know i shouldn't have been bothered, but my SOD was just a teensy bit shaken by seeing Freyja casually do two consecutive standing jumps higher than her own head.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-06, 15:26   Link #122
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Shouldn't be surprised with demonstration of super human reflexes, imo. This is Macross, we have the technology, genetic engineering, the means and the will to do it.

The Zentradi are after all, ageless to begin within...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 06:25   Link #123
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

maybe its only a matter of time if they showed us the Walkure girls capable of not using space suits in the deep vacuum of space, & able to Space Fold travel by themselves, thus rendering Battroids & Destroids obsolete.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 09:50   Link #124
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

As to the Walkure being superhuman, who says they aren't?

We know that someone like Ranka is capable of surviving longer in space due to her Zentraedi heritage, and IIRC Frontier is actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to human body modification, or rather the lack of it. For all we know, Walkure may either have genetic or cybernetic modifications done to them, or may have heritage with some strong and hardy races. Hell, wasn't there speculation early on that Reina may be a cyborg or a gynoid?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2016-04-07 at 10:05.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 10:12   Link #125
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Frontier is actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to human body modification, or rather the lack of it.
But... but... Grace and Banana were both cyborgs and technically ageless body-switching-ghost-in-the-shell types

Not to mention Ranka's mother attempted modifications on herself and died as a result

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-04-07, 10:27   Link #126
magnuskn

Neither Grace nor Banana were from Frontier, they were from Galaxy. Grace openly using her enhancements startled a lot of people on Frontier. As for Rankas mother, I thought she died when the Vajra went out of control and burned down the fleet they were on?
Old 2016-04-07, 10:36   Link #127
Tak

Oh, hes talking about the fleet. Thought he was talking about the lack of it in the series. In that case, Ranka's mom wasn't on Frontier either.

- Tak

Old 2016-04-07, 10:49   Link #128
Alhazred

Quote:
We know that someone like Ranka is capable of surviving longer in space due to her Zentraedi heritage, and IIRC Frontier is actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to human body modification, or rather the lack of it.
Actually, it appears to be the reverse; the Galaxy fleet was heavily funded by large corporations and developed many technologies far in advance of the other colonization fleets. One of their areas of specific expertise was cybernetics, so someone as heavily modified as Grace would probably cause a stir anywhere she went, not just Frontier.
Old 2016-04-07, 10:57   Link #129
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Actually, it appears to be the reverse; the Galaxy fleet was heavily funded by large corporations and developed many technologies far in advance of the other colonization fleets. One of their areas of specific expertise was cybernetics, so someone as heavily modified as Grace would probably cause a stir anywhere she went, not just Frontier.
The impression I get is that Galaxy was the extreme level of body modification, while Frontier is the other end of the spectrum: a colony that abhors body modification, but wouldn't stop people who already have them.

I imagine most other colonies are a lot more tame with their modifications than Galaxy is.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 11:06   Link #130
Alhazred

Quote:
I imagine most other colonies are a lot more tame with their modifications than Galaxy is.
Probably, both for lack of motivation and lack of ability, since the Galaxy fleet owned the tech and were rather insular. This is sort of a strike against the idea that the Walküre might be cybernetically modified to be superhuman- and Freyja has already demonstrated mildly superhuman physical abilities before she even joined the group. As such, any appearance of super powers is likely just a combination of alien heritage, non-cybernetic tech and anime physics.
Old 2016-04-07, 11:17   Link #131
Tak

I dunno, considering what the Zentradi (allied or otherwise) are willing to do to themselves, the Galaxy seems mild in comparison when it comes to body-mods, really.

- Tak

Old 2016-04-07, 12:43   Link #132
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Reading over the last couple of pages on this thread has been interesting, and somewhat surprising, to me.

That's because I've long had the impression that Macross-verse is very fantastical and imaginative. So I'm surprised at the issue that some seem to have with the Walkure girls and/or their transformations.

I've long had the impression that Macross is to Gundam what Star Wars is to Star Trek. In other words, that Macross (like Star Wars) is more of a space fantasy than a strict sci-fi show, whereas Gundam and Star Trek both tend to be pretty strict with their sci-fi. Is this impression of Macross incorrect?
Old 2016-04-07, 12:50   Link #133
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
I've long had the impression that Macross is to Gundam what Star Wars is to Star Trek. In other words, that Macross (like Star Wars) is more of a space fantasy than a strict sci-fi show, whereas Gundam and Star Trek both tend to be pretty strict with their sci-fi. Is this impression of Macross incorrect?
I would say thats quite right. Except that Macross also incorporates Star Trek's 'explore the final frontier and meet new people' in addition to 'sing until they submit'.

So yes, like Star Wars, its a huge universe, but unlike Star Wars, there is no clear static factions at play. The NUNS itself is pretty much an empire in the making.

- Tak

Old 2016-04-07, 12:58   Link #134
Darthtabby

Having studied things a little more, I think the Walkure girls are wearing thrusters on their waists/hips. Their outfits all incorporate some sort of hardware around that part of the body (though some more obviously than others). Aside from the obvious use of thrusters by the pink haired girl when she saved her companion, you can also see a quick burst from some thrusters after Mikumo jumps into the air around 13:40.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2016-04-07 at 13:16.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 13:02   Link #135
Tak

They obviously learned that from Sheryl.

- Tak

Old 2016-04-07, 13:04   Link #136
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, if you talk to Shoji Kawamori, that's about right, even though the main series of UC-verse Gundams can be rather fantastical with their Pycho & Newtype powers. Imagine teenage/young Professor Xaviers or Jedis (who can sense their Newtype opponents and able to converse to other Newtypes via telepathy and even talk to the dead souls of their comrades like Jedis) piloting giant robots.

Still, even for Macross standard, body modifications or strengths via heritage should still be explained.

Quote:
As to the Walkure being superhuman, who says they aren't?

We know that someone like Ranka is capable of surviving longer in space due to her Zentraedi heritage, and IIRC Frontier is actually the exception rather than the rule when it comes to human body modification, or rather the lack of it. For all we know, Walkure may either have genetic or cybernetic modifications done to them, or may have heritage with some strong and hardy races. Hell, wasn't there speculation early on that Reina may be a cyborg or a gynoid?
I'll believe it when the anime actually show or explain it to me like what they do with Grace. Before that, I'll just consider it siliness. Fun silliness, but still silliness.

Darthtabby's "thruster"-explanation above makes more sense to me right now.
Old 2016-04-07, 15:33   Link #137
Shirke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Having studied things a little more, I think the Walkure girls are wearing thrusters on their waists/hips. Their outfits all incorporate some sort of hardware around that part of the body (though some more obviously than others). Aside from the obvious use of thrusters by the pink haired girl when she saved her companion, you can also see a quick burst from some thrusters after Mikumo jumps into the air around 13:40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Yeah Sheryl was wearing the same type of thrusters under her dress in the first Macross Frontier Movie, which was her fallback plan when she jumped from the stage only to be caught by Alto.
Shirke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 16:21   Link #138
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ah, Star Trek, the one with god-like beings, race stereotyping and reimagined half-elfs. But I am a purist of set theory, and once something is sci-fi, it can be anything else and will still remain sci-fi. This science fantasy is a just a meme for kids to justify why we can't have nice things.

Macross is as strict as a technology that evolves can be. A song that generates fold waves is as much scientifical as Minowsky particles.

The Walkure seem to wear a protective suit (it is seen clearly when Reina launches at 13:10), which then is covered by holograms (in the same way it worked in Macross Frontier), and it also has rocket boosters.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-07, 18:07   Link #139
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
I would not limit this to Sheryl. All the singers where quite defenseless with exception of Fire Bombers, who could dodge most attacks in their VFs while the others mostly needed someone to bodyguard or rescue them or they needed to stick with a fleet as a performance backstage.
Old 2016-04-07, 18:08   Link #140
dmaxzero

The last part of the episode won me enough to give this a solid chance.
I still cant get over the mahou shoujo thingy, but FINE, I will ride along. And... Ok, honestly who though it was a good idea to have an erecting heart shaped thing in the forehead as good in an aesthetic sense? It' s almost phallic.

HOWEVER! The Valkyries combat is solid as always in Macross and the lead seems interesting, I am more thrilled to know what will happen between him and Mirage than the phallic girl.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote