AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-03-10, 09:30   Link #121
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalheart View Post
what about illustrations and such ?
New uploads won't be allowed. But I'm not sure about already posted material. I'll ask.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 10:20   Link #122
ProxyAccount

Low-res images and or copies of images posted by the publisher to advertise or sell the product shouldn't be an issue, IMO.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 11:00   Link #123
westmax

A humble suggestion can yen press just license the unreleased volume 16 and beyond....

.father forgive them for they don't know their sin.
westmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 11:14   Link #124
amtro
Distro

They've licensed Mahouka LN in its entirety. Spinoffs and magazine short stories come separately. An eventual sequel would not be under their license agreements and would allow us to continue on as before.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 11:17   Link #125
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmax View Post
A humble suggestion can yen press just license the unreleased volume 16 and beyond....

.father forgive them for they don't know their sin.

...Yeah, just license and release for an even smaller market, the subset of anime/manga fans that have already read the series. That's good business strategy. orz
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 11:59   Link #126
Abysmalheart

A question to all here how is it that Yen press gets license for mahouka and suddenly we can't do things like post illustrations and etc ? Doesn't dengeki have license and publishing rights as well or is it the author ?
Abysmalheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 12:14   Link #127
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
Fan-translation often aims towards the literal translation done with some refinement if there's time (and volunteers). Presumably, a domestic licensee will make a reasonable commitment to technical accuracy and readability.

Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice some fluency in order to get accuracy. I can always sort out grammatical issues given a less-than-fluent rendering, but I probably can't determine what the correct term is if the technical translation is botched because the kanji/hiragana/katakana isn't there.
I think the problem is that you fall within the minority, like people who prefer subs over dubs. (How much of a minority, I'm not sure) While you might be willing to go for technical accuracy, the new reader might go: "this is so bland sounding and unnatural to me." And god help the book, if there are grammatical errors.

I think the thing to hope for is that the translator manages to preserve the tone and content, even as they take liberties to make it more appealing to local audiences. I think Aksys' work on the Blazblue games may be one of the more extreme cases of liberty taking I've ever seen, but I think if I didn't understand what the Japanese voices were saying, I wouldn't be bothered by the English text because it manages to read quite well while staying in character.

Quote:
A question to all here how is it that Yen press gets license for mahouka and suddenly we can't do things like post illustrations and etc ? Doesn't dengeki have license and publishing rights as well or is it the author ?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but odds are the answer you're looking for is because Yen gets the license for publishing the light novel, the illustrations within, and for Yuutosei for the United States. And neither Animesuki nor Baka-Tsuki wish to tread on their toes.

I would guess that Dengeki SOLD those rights to Yen Press.

Copyright laws are a little bit murky here, but I believe that while in the past Dengeki and the author had the rights, and fan-translations were infringing on them, Dengeki (and anime companies in general) tolerated it because they weren't making any money in the States anyway, and it would just cost money to prosecute. In addition, fan-works also helped raise interest abroad.

But once a company who plans to make money in the States (in this case), then the enforcement starts.
Old 2015-03-10, 12:22   Link #128
Abysmalheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but odds are the answer you're looking for is because Yen gets the license for publishing the light novel, the illustrations within, and for Yuutosei for the United States. And neither Animesuki nor Baka-Tsuki wish to tread on their toes.

I would guess that Dengeki SOLD those rights to Yen Press.

Copyright laws are a little bit murky here, but I believe that while in the past Dengeki and the author had the rights, and fan-translations were infringing on them, Dengeki (and anime companies in general) tolerated it because they weren't making any money in the States anyway, and it would just cost money to prosecute. In addition, fan-works also helped raise interest abroad.

But once a company who plans to make money in the States (in this case), then the enforcement starts.
The whole thing seems strange so does that mean dengki won't be publishing Mahouka anymore or it just that Yen press has the rights and dengeki is the Japaneses publisher while Yen is the english one ?
Old 2015-03-10, 12:29   Link #129
senjiro
ecchi sage

So we all can forget about this series...
I mean, almost all of us have read all vol. Published... so for yen press go until vol.15 will be so looong...
And here we cannot ask if someone will continue fantl... meh... other series death...
i am not against licensed so i can buy the real thing(in my case via digital edition...) but only when they reach(if they will do..) new material i grow up from this type of novel...
Mahouka R.I.P.(just kidding)
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 12:32   Link #130
RaymondSageClark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjiro View Post
I mean, almost all of us have read all vol. Published... so for yen press go until vol.15 will be so looong...
And here we cannot ask if someone will continue fantl... meh... other series death...
i am not against licensed so i can buy the real thing(in my case via digital edition...) but only when they reach(if they will do..) new material i grow up from this type of novel...
>Mahouka R.I.P.(just kidding)

Actually this is real now I'm sad.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 12:41   Link #131
Abysmalheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjiro View Post
I think you are giving up to easily no way peeps will wait that long to know what is happening now that we came this far.If it ain't legal we become pirates.All inspiration from OP.
Old 2015-03-10, 12:43   Link #132
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

#KeepTheOniiSama
Thats the only thing I will ask.
Old 2015-03-10, 12:49   Link #133
cyberdemon

well Yen press has managed 4 volumes of Sword Art Online over the course of the last year (volume 1 in April 2014 and volume 4 is out April 1015). Still means that they are a long way from catching up.

I just hope they don't plan to do the book form only and not release an ibook version like they did with SAO. I read mostly off my ipad these days.
Old 2015-03-10, 12:53   Link #134
Rasen

Quote:
The whole thing seems strange so does that mean dengki won't be publishing Mahouka anymore or it just that Yen press has the rights and dengeki is the Japaneses publisher while Yen is the english one ?
...I see where you're confused.

Dengeki NEVER published in the United States. And they sold the rights to "publish in the United States" to Yen Press.

So of the two situations you listed, the second one.
Old 2015-03-10, 13:03   Link #135
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
I just hope they don't plan to do the book form only and not release an ibook version like they did with SAO. I read mostly off my ipad these days.
Several people, including me, have asked Yen Press whether they're going to release a digital version. But so far, I haven't read anyone saying they've gotten a response to the question.

Yen Press' policy is to ask for digital rights for all new licenses according to Kurt Hassler, Yen Press' top manager. It's the Japanese publisher who determines whether Yen Press is allowed to release digitally. Since the SAO novels aren't available digitally and since SAO and Mahouka are from the same Japanese publisher, I fear we won't get digital releases for the Mahouka novels either. (This is just my speculation and I would love to be proven wrong.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2015-03-10 at 13:04. Reason: reordered some things for better clarity
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 13:23   Link #136
RED IV

OH MY GOD, my wi-fi was down for the last few days and when I come back this is what I see. These guys already have Index,Accel World,SAO and now they want Mahouka too. Somebody save us and this LN
RED IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 13:36   Link #137
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED IV View Post
OH MY GOD, my wi-fi was down for the last few days and when I come back this is what I see. These guys already have Index,Accel World,SAO and now they want Mahouka too. Somebody save us and this LN
Bah.

This is a good (though frustrating) thing. The original author (I think) gets royalties from licenses. Support the original author!
Old 2015-03-10, 13:46   Link #138
RaymondSageClark
Banned

Quote:
Bah.

This is a good (though frustrating) thing. The original author (I think) gets royalties from licenses. Support the original author!
Support the original author, Ok that's a nice idea but is there a huge problem.

Support the author -------> F**k all teh fanbase and translators from BT and other places.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 13:55   Link #139
ProxyAccount

Huh? You can always buy the Japanese novels/mangas. That doesn't conflict with supporting fan-translation.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 13:56   Link #140
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Bah.

Ok. I think the same way..,
but like someone tired of waiting for last vol of wheel of time(rip jordan) i know what mean wait for 15 vol. moreover if digital editon almost sure dont be avaliable

Only thing is turn to the other side of lw(aká jack sparrow)
#miyuki4ever
#mashevarakickyourbutt
#8booksinayear...
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote