AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-03, 22:13   Link #121
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusabireika View Post
Thank you for answering ^^

Well uhm in real battle Erika with orichimaru vs Tomikatsu full gear with there best condition going all out

Ok last question on the new student council president, public moral chairman and club leader who is strongest between them physically/mentally/emotionally and who is more likely support type ^-^ just curious :3
In that case, I'm reluctant to say, but I think Erika might win.

Hattori is the strongest, Kanon is the best battle support, Asuza would be ideal for technical and morale support. Wow, it's weird that they're sort of perfectly structured that way.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-03, 23:00   Link #122
Delftear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
What? Can you elaborate on how you came into those opinions?
Well, for the most part that was just sarcasm. My opinion is the article was a bit like psychoanalyzing a saturday morning cartoon.

From reading the article that reddit thread was linked to. It's written by someone who is way too impressed with themselves. Tatsuya lacks extreme emotions, the author choosing to have Tatsuya espouse opinions which show he has a hard time sympathizing with other people seems like an appropriate choice to me. Taking that and launching into a rant about the subversive danger of a ln promoting meritocracy and capitalism is just silly.

It's a fantasy story not a response to das kapital. I also don't think people are suddenly going to start basing their world view on Mahouka.
Delftear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 00:01   Link #123
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delftear View Post
Well, for the most part that was just sarcasm. My opinion is the article was a bit like psychoanalyzing a saturday morning cartoon.

From reading the article that reddit thread was linked to. It's written by someone who is way too impressed with themselves. Tatsuya lacks extreme emotions, the author choosing to have Tatsuya espouse opinions which show he has a hard time sympathizing with other people seems like an appropriate choice to me. Taking that and launching into a rant about the subversive danger of a ln promoting meritocracy and capitalism is just silly.

It's a fantasy story not a response to das kapital. I also don't think people are suddenly going to start basing their world view on Mahouka.
Ahh I see. Sorry I didn't catch on to the sarcasm.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 00:26   Link #124
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:

You know, I've also realized something yesterday why though I tried to understand the post, there was always that lingering feeling--that sense of wrongness--that something was bothering me about it but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was wrong. So I tried to understand. After all, people often have good ideas for holding the views they have.

And they do. If those are the premises we have to work with, I can see why they'd come up with such an outcome. (Even discounting the amount of details the poster disregarded and ignored in order to push their interpretation) However, I also realized what exactly was it that was bothering me:

Their social philosophy disgusts me. I find it utterly wrong and repulsive. Not to mention asinine. It offends me at a fundamental level and I find it utterly laughable how the poster presents their ideas as if it were absolute, objective truth.

It is vile, dangerous, totally naive, and completely unnatural. And this one has little to do with Mahouka. I've always been very skeptical of people who espouse "social justice" and adhere to certain ideas of "egalitarianism". In my eyes, the ideas the poster are trying to push are more dangerous than the ones he claims Mahouka has.

The poster has a problem with Meritocracy. Which was funny, because for a very long time I thought meritocracy was a good thing? The right people get the right jobs. People with the right skills and mindset are assigned to the posts where they will be most efficient. It worked for Genghis Khan, it works for the modern world too. The system is all about producing results and doesn't really bother with people's circumstances. All that matters is "can you do the job?"

But people like our dear poster there argues that meritocracy is wrong. Because people forget that "starting points" are unequal. That people don't really earn their success as much as inherit it. That meritocracy would only truly be fair if everyone started at the same place.

...If everyone started at the same place.

I despise this idea to the very core of my being.

First off, let's talk about how utterly impossible this is and how it seems to disqualify the hard work of my predecessors as a legitimate basis for "earning" success. Because they worked hard, my predecessors have made it much easier for me to do well in life. Rather than me inheriting my success, my predecessors are merely experiencing the benefit of their hard work, by seeing me, their descendant, do better with my life than they did. My better life is the fruit of their hard work and enterprise. Now for why it's impossible...Look at us. Not only is there too many people in the world, all of which with different values and skill sets to for this to be a feasible ideal. Let's face facts: Inequality is the natural state of the world. In this world there ARE people better than us. It doesn't mean they have to be treated like some sort of nobility, but we need to acknowledge ability where it is present; and, that some people are worth listening to more than others. Throughout history, every time people listened to the wrong group of people...things always went to crap for the rest of us. Heck, just look at recent history. I'll BET you can find plenty of examples why this is true.

We're animals. As much as we might try to deny it. In the animal kingdom everyone is always trying to get a better advantage that everyone else. The animal kingdom care not for fairness--only results. It values flexibility and strength. The real world thinks the same way. If you try to deviate from natural principles, and try to impose that idiotic idea that everyone is absolutely equal...we'll have a world where the voices of sense and genius are held in the same weight and regard as the babbling of fanatics, fools and imbeciles. And it is up to the wise to decide who is who.

It also discounts the fact that luck and circumstance as a legitimate basis for success. There's always an elements of the absurd when it comes to human circumstances...sometimes life doesn't make sense. But that's not a fault of the system, it's simply a matter of fact. This is why sometimes even in a meritocratic world, the talented sometimes don't get anywhere. No, the system doesn't call them stupid or lazy for not succeeding. No one in their right minds is making that presumption. All it means was that circumstance was not in your favor; it's nothing against the person, it's simply part of of living--sometimes you get dealt bad cards. The most the system can accuse you of is that maybe that you didn't do enough to make sure lady fortune looks your way more.

This is why I think Mahouka fits better as a realist work. It doesn't bother itself with "what shoulds" or "what is right"...only "what is" and how best to use this to one's benefit and to achieve one's goals.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 00:38   Link #125
Rava

Quote:

The bolded, definitely.

I took a look at that article, some of his linked articles, and the responses. You can basically summarize it up as either 'you are "smart" if you agree with everything he says' or 'you are "duped" by the setting of the book and don't see the "subtext" that it has' on any points you disagree with.

He starts off with some solid excerpts that he's too lazy to include in that article, but then jumps to his opinion with the assumption that his opinion is the only obvious conclusion when...it's not. At that point, he can QED it as much as he likes, but since he hasn't proven his opinion as fact (and 'it's obvious' is never a valid reason), the rest of his article is utterly worthless.

It's an example, IMO, of something that would be OK as a forum post, but is utter trash as a blog article.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 00:41   Link #126
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
Also, just to throw this out here. I REALLY think a lot of people's gripes with Tatsuya can be solved once they just accept him as a god character. I mean come on, the story's deliberately setting himself up as one: lampshading on the the fact that his entire existence is ridiculous with his monstrous levels of power and brilliance, the constant jokes about his omnipotence and omniscience, the fact that the setting is a world where magic is deconstructed, his above good and evil morality and absolute judgement, the way his character growth is actually about getting kinder and more involved with humanity, the way he's aware of his own nature and even shows hints that he's unsatisfied with his level of power(which now begs the question of how much more powerful he can get), the way that he's probably being paired off with his ridiculously beautiful sister.

Tatsuya is a deconstructed, rationalized god character. He's pretty much Action-Man-Belldandy.

He's powerful enough to destroy and remake the world? Of course, he's a god.

He's basically omniscient and can see the true nature of the world around him? He's a god.

He's super intelligent and his body is super strong? A mind and body fit for a god.

Incest? Only gods marry their sisters.

He wins all the time? He's a freaking god, damnit. Of course, he's going to win if you face him off with no strategy.

He needs to be bound and his emotions kept in check? Because he's a god and him going out of control and emotional would cause disaster.

Actually when you think of Tatsuya as a god character, he even starts to look pretty balanced.
he is no where near god character.
Powerful to destroy the whole world , maybe all through his MB is pretty bad ass i doubt he can blow up to world that easily not to mention he can`t even use MB without his sister unlocking his powers.

omniscient lol that's funny, that would imply he can do anything which is not the case, his normal magic sucks, his ancient magic uses sucks etc.

As intelligence go yeah he is very intelligent mostly when it comes down to magic thou, but his body he trained to be strong, the scars are just a proof that he went through serious physical training to achieve his physical prowess.

Incest, you must've read the wrong LN my friend, mahouka doesn't have such things. I mean yeah miyuki may have her fantasies about his brother, but that;s no incest, they are just fantasies.
Besides we don't know for sure if they are actually siblings, they could be cousins or not related at all and the whole incest goes out the window.

Depends how you would define winning, to him winning is to achieve his objective, his success is not measured in how many people he squashed in battle, we seen him win without even using magic.
As battle goes he almost got killed by lina which could barely stand against miyuki.

So him being some kind of god because of his magic its unfounded. If he is a god then maya is also a god because she actually is the most powerful in 10MC and she is more powerful then him, and miyuki is a god and pretty much anyone in 10MC also.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 00:48   Link #127
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
^ that why I ignore haters >_> coz they are to lazy or should I say open there mind and understand fully by reading many times like I did ._. and accept that some critism, also force their believe to someone sigh

0_0 lets change the topic before it goes offhand for me I will ignored that said poster or the blog =_= waste time of reading if the writer itself doesn't put much effort on reading the book many time before posting his/her opinion +_+
Old 2014-05-04, 01:17   Link #128
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
^ that why I ignore haters >_> coz they are to lazy or should I say open there mind and understand fully by reading many times like I did ._. and accept that some critism, also force their believe to someone sigh

0_0 lets change the topic before it goes offhand for me I will ignored that said poster or the blog =_= waste time of reading if the writer itself doesn't put much effort on reading the book many time before posting his/her opinion +_+
well give us a new topic, i don't want and don't have the patience or the inclination to argue with the heaters, its a waste of time.
Old 2014-05-04, 01:27   Link #129
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
well give us a new topic, i don't want and don't have the patience or the inclination to argue with the heaters, its a waste of time.
How about what are the future event that you think will likely to happen in future volume?

Ok once azusa batch graduated who do you think will fill their respective role for me student council president Miyuki, moral comitee chairman probably shizuku or erika and club president will be tatsuya :3

Lastly is isori strong ?

Finally on the last 9sc do you think first high will retain there victory for 3rd time?
Old 2014-05-04, 01:58   Link #130
Delftear

Quote:
How about what are the future event that you think will likely to happen in future volume?

Ok once azusa batch graduated who do you think will fill their respective role for me student council president Miyuki, moral comitee chairman probably shizuku or erika and club president will be tatsuya :3

Lastly is isori strong ?

Finally on the last 9sc do you think first high will retain there victory for 3rd time?
No idea aside from myuki being president.

I would say Isori is average.

Yes, they will win.

hmm, as for other predictions in no particular order....

I think Itsuwa mio will die effectively killing off the Itsuwa clan as one of the 10 mc, and putting Japan in a bind with no declared strategic mage.

I think Koichi will end up not being the bad guy everyone thinks he is now.

My guess is that at some point there will be an arranged marriage between Tatsuya and Mayumi (not about shipping, but about what I think the novels are hinting at), not that I think they will actually get married.

Tatsuya will ultimately wind up destroying the 10 mc system (whole shiva thing) and creating a new system.

Meh Think up more later.
Delftear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 02:01   Link #131
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:

Lastly is isori strong ?

Miyuki will definitely be the president, for tatsuya General Club Activity President, shizuku for Public Moral and erika as a member that seems about right.
Well as for their last 9sc who knows, it depends on what happens till then.
Miyuki will most like stomp on everybody like she did so far, including her cousin ayako.
My guess the third 9sc is gonna be a match between yotsuba's to see who takes the title.

But like i said it highly depends on what will happen during their second year, if tatsuya strategic magician status will be out for example i doubt he will be allowed to participate in 9SC or if his taurus silver identity comes out same thing. Both of this identities puts him way way above high school level even above university level, and the 9SC committee might see him way to overqualified to take part in High School Events.
If his decomposition powers and yotsuba status are the only one revealed then he will most likely be a participant in 9SC, probably monolith code and maybe icicle destruction seems best suited for his abilities.
If he will be a participant he will be the option first high has to take the down fumyia and masaki in the monolith core. No other male student we know so far can do that as proven in this years new comers division where fumiya pretty much wiped the floor with them.
But we shall see.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:10   Link #132
kidswable

Quote:

Lastly is isori strong ?

Well, miyuki could be the sc president tomitsuka could be the club president. About who will be the moral comitee I dont have a clue(I refuse to say that the d-bag will be the moral comitee chairman) but maybe mikihiko would be perfect in here or maybe I will support pampz that erika will be the chairman.

Well, isori would be a strong support . I dont know his ability to be the sole attacker (it is already implied that isori is smart like suzune)

About the next 9sc again it will be 1st high, I cant see other school have a chance. Hey, its the MC school.
kidswable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 02:24   Link #133
Diocar

Quote:
Miyuki will definitely be the president, for tatsuya General Club Activity President, shizuku for Public Moral and erika as a member that seems about right.

Well as for their last 9sc who knows, it depends on what happens till then. If tatsuyas powers and connection to the yotsuba will be out by then he will definitely be a participant, icicle destruction and monolith code my guesses.
My guess hes the only one who can actually beat Fumiya in the monolith code from first high male students or masaki for that matter.
Miyuki will most like stomp on everybody like she did so far, including her cousin ayako.
My guess the third 9sc is gonna be a match between yotsuba's to see who takes the title.
Tats isn t even in the clubs comitee, he won t become its president out of the blue. I think he will be the student council president. All in all it would have a bigger impact in the weeds x bloomers conflict and he has had a stronger impact in the school than miyuki with a new course being created because of him lol. Besides If miyuki thinks tats has a chance she will refuse to be a candidate.
About monolith code, acording to what ppl say about the yotsubas( they are the strongest magicians) fumiya should stomp on masaki otherwise the yotsubas aren t much better than the 10mc. About tats, even If he exposed as an yotsuba i don t think he will want to be exposed as mashevara... There is too much work on keeping that a secret for him to throw it all away for a high school competion and it would bring too much atention to himself, who in the world wouldn t want to study regrowth?

@delftear
I agree with you sir about everything except the miyuki part. Those are basically my preditions as well. You are clearly a genious!
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 02:27   Link #134
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidswable View Post
Well, miyuki could be the sc president tomitsuka could be the club president. About who will be the moral comitee I dont have a clue(I refuse to say that the d-bag will be the moral comitee chairman) but maybe mikihiko would be perfect in here or maybe I will support pampz that erika will be the chairman.

Well, isori would be a strong support . I dont know his ability to be the sole attacker (it is already implied that isori is smart like suzune)

About the next 9sc again it will be 1st high, I cant see other school have a chance. Hey, its the MC school.
tats will be the public moral committee chairman

As for last 9sc how first high plans to win against fumyia that pretty much stomped any potential candidates from first high?
I think tats will be the only one who can actually beat fumiya, but that will need his full powers and the only way he will use his full powers in 9sc is if his decomposition is already out in public eye.
Masaki also stands a chance against fumyia but if he wins then first high will have to deal with masaki and that would again involve tatsuya.
At least with the info we have so far no matter how we slice it First High needs tats.

Quote:
No idea aside from myuki being president.
I would say Isori is average.
Yes, they will win.
hmm, as for other predictions in no particular order....
I think Itsuwa mio will die effectively killing off the Itsuwa clan as one of the 10 mc, and putting Japan in a bind with no declared strategic mage.
I think Koichi will end up not being the bad guy everyone thinks he is now.
My guess is that at some point there will be an arranged marriage between Tatsuya and Mayumi (not about shipping, but about what I think the novels are hinting at), not that I think they will actually get married.
Tatsuya will ultimately wind up destroying the 10 mc system (whole shiva thing) and creating a new system.
Meh Think up more later.
I agree with most of what you said.
And if itsuwa mio dies i don`t think japan will be quiet about tatsuya anymore otherwise they will have far to much to lose on international level then they gain if they keep him hidden.
I get the feeling its not gonna be tatsuya alone to take down the 10MC system, i think the whole current generation will do it. And i think this will happen after tatsuya announces he found the secret to store magic sequences opening the use of magic to every day to day activity making magic a world resurce. And this kind of discovery will be the catalyst of the 10MC destruction because their ranking systems based on combat magic will be outdated and unnecessary for the future use of magic.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:40   Link #135
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
he is no where near god character.
Powerful to destroy the whole world , maybe all through his MB is pretty bad ass i doubt he can blow up to world that easily not to mention he can`t even use MB without his sister unlocking his powers.

omniscient lol that's funny, that would imply he can do anything which is not the case, his normal magic sucks, his ancient magic uses sucks etc.

As intelligence go yeah he is very intelligent mostly when it comes down to magic thou, but his body he trained to be strong, the scars are just a proof that he went through serious physical training to achieve his physical prowess.

Incest, you must've read the wrong LN my friend, mahouka doesn't have such things. I mean yeah miyuki may have her fantasies about his brother, but that;s no incest, they are just fantasies.
Besides we don't know for sure if they are actually siblings, they could be cousins or not related at all and the whole incest goes out the window.

Depends how you would define winning, to him winning is to achieve his objective, his success is not measured in how many people he squashed in battle, we seen him win without even using magic.
As battle goes he almost got killed by lina which could barely stand against miyuki.

So him being some kind of god because of his magic its unfounded. If he is a god then maya is also a god because she actually is the most powerful in 10MC and she is more powerful then him, and miyuki is a god and pretty much anyone in 10MC also.

Ah no. It's not unfounded. I'm not the only who thinks the story is setting Tatsuya up as a god--ask around. His powers are godlike (since most of them were derived from his Shiva basis), people joke around about him being some omnipotent, omniscient being, people calling him a ridiculous existence, and the way he acts and sees the world with his "above good and evil" mentality definitely makes him sound even more godlike. Oh, and he was born strong. Miyuki said so. The training just honed his natural gifts into something incredible.

Anyhow, you probably just mistook my calling him a god, for me actually believing he is one. What I'm actually saying is that he might as well be a god with the amount of stuff he's able to do. A god amongst men. A deconstructed god to be more precise, in a world where magic has been made understood as just another part of the universe. The gods have been made human.

Also, yeah. Exactly. Maya, Miyuki, heck every mage can be considered a god. That's another way to define what being a mage is: a minor form of godhood. Because what mages manipulate is the very fabric of reality.

As for the incest part. Here's my answer: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=11999

Miyuki's the one with the highest chance of ending up with Tatsuya. Oh, and have I mentioned that their dynamics and how they're portrayed are similar to how gods behave with their goddess wives? The conquering lord and the tempering maiden.

As for him winning. He still won didn't he? Only he wins because he makes all the right moves. That's why I said if Tatsuya was a god character he's actually a very balanced on, because he can't win his battles by overpowering them, and he's had close calls before.

Besides I'm only offering that as another way to interpret Tatsuya's character.
Old 2014-05-04, 02:42   Link #136
Diocar

Quote:
tats will be the public moral committee chairman

As for last 9sc how first high plans to win against fumyia that pretty much stomped any potential candidates from first high?
I think tats will be the only one who can actually beat fumiya, but that will need his full powers and the only way he will use his full powers in 9sc is if his decomposition is already out in public eye.
Masaki also stands a chance against fumyia but if he wins then first high will have to deal with masaki and that would again involve tatsuya.
At least with the info we have so far no matter how we slice it First High needs tats.
Even If tats participate he own t use decomposition. The pros don t even come near the cons. Mist dispersal is mostly useless because he won t decompose anyone and the rules of the competion would forbid most of its uses. So do you think he should risk raise the suspicions he is mashevara in order to use gram dispersal when he already has far strike and gam demolition to deal with magic?
The thruth is with his non sistematic magic and phisical prowess as long as his cads are excelente it is extremelly hard to beat him. He only had difficulties with masaki because he needed to be very close to him, If he could use the compound waves or If ressonance was working as it should masaki would be in trouble.... And now he has far strike!
Old 2014-05-04, 02:45   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
This is why I think Mahouka fits better as a realist work. It doesn't bother itself with "what shoulds" or "what is right"...only "what is" and how best to use this to one's benefit and to achieve one's goals.
Two points:
- everyone believes their own particular philosophy is actually "realism", no matter what they believe. They are, of course, all wrong.
- the fight for equality is never, except in some particularly degenerate cases, against meritocracy. It isn't done so that the hard-working geniuses get no more reward than the dumb slackers.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-04, 03:05   Link #138
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
Even If tats participate he own t use decomposition. The pros don t even come near the cons. Mist dispersal is mostly useless because he won t decompose anyone and the rules of the competion would forbid most of its uses. So do you think he should risk raise the suspicions he is mashevara in order to use gram dispersal when he already has far strike and gam demolition to deal with magic?
The thruth is with his non sistematic magic and phisical prowess as long as his cads are excelente it is extremelly hard to beat him. He only had difficulties with masaki because he needed to be very close to him, If he could use the compound waves or If ressonance was working as it should masaki would be in trouble.... And now he has far strike!
i said he will only use decomposition only if its already revealed, and by that i mean gram dispersion, aoe decomposition barrier thing(i wish author will give it a name already), he can use Mist dispersal to as long as he doesn't target the human body directly(he can target the cad, obstacles, covers he can use it to drop buildings and trees to restrict his opponent movements, plenty of applications not just human targeting).

Thing is i think most of his secrets will be out by that time, we are talking at lest 5 6 volumes in the future, with some things like 10MC Selection, Battle with Dahan Remnants, Yotsuba/Saegusa conflict etc coming our way. It will be boring if he comes out of this with his secrets still intact, especially now after the steeplechase when his existence as the unknown strategic magician that was a rumor, is now confirmed and many people will look into this, the 10mc, the military the government anti-magic people etc. As good as the yotsuba information control is, it won't be enough to keep those information hidden, hence why maya asked them to lay low at the house for the rest of the year until some of this inquiries will cease.
Old 2014-05-04, 03:09   Link #139
Diocar

Quote:
Ah no. It's not unfounded. I'm not the only who thinks the story is setting Tatsuya up as a god--ask around. His powers are godlike (since most of them were derived from his Shiva basis), people joke around about him being some omnipotent, omniscient being, people calling him a ridiculous existence, and the way he acts and sees the world with his "above good and evil" mentality definitely makes him sound even more godlike. Oh, and he was born strong. Miyuki said so. The training just honed his natural gifts into something incredible.

Anyhow, you probably just mistook my calling him a god, for me actually believing he is one. What I'm actually saying is that he might as well be a god with the amount of stuff he's able to do. A god amongst men. A deconstructed god to be more precise, in a world where magic has been made understood as just another part of the universe. The gods have been made human.
First, your definition of god is a bit screwed. He doesn t have godlike powers, he has MAGIC POWERS. His powers might be a imitation of the powers of a god, but mikihiko has some thunder magic and you don t call him zeus and write dissertations about how he is similar to zeus because of his powers. And he doesn t has above good and evil mentality, he knows perfectly well what is evil and good and makes decisions based on that. His phisical abilities aren t incredible, he is constantly beaten by yakumo and was matched by tomitsuka. Very good is diferent from incredible.

About the second paragraph, what amount of stuff is he capable of doing? Take years to cast complex magic? Being unable to cast barriers to protect himself from injuries? Being unable to use a normal cad well? Sucking at sistematic magic?
Seriously this non-sense about him being a god is what make lot of ppl think of him as op. when he is simply strong when compared with the righ ppl.
Old 2014-05-04, 04:05   Link #140
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
First, your definition of god is a bit screwed. He doesn t have godlike powers, he has MAGIC POWERS. His powers might be a imitation of the powers of a god, but mikihiko has some thunder magic and you don t call him zeus and write dissertations about how he is similar to zeus because of his powers. And he doesn t has above good and evil mentality, he knows perfectly well what is evil and good and makes decisions based on that. His phisical abilities aren t incredible, he is constantly beaten by yakumo and was matched by tomitsuka. Very good is diferent from incredible.

About the second paragraph, what amount of stuff is he capable of doing? Take years to cast complex magic? Being unable to cast barriers to protect himself from injuries? Being unable to use a normal cad well? Sucking at sistematic magic?
Seriously this non-sense about him being a god is what make lot of ppl think of him as op. when he is simply strong when compared with the righ ppl.
The man plays around with matter and conquers death. How is that not godlike? (And I use the term to describe the gravity of what exatly it is he does. Manipulating matter is a BIG DEAL.)

The reason I go about this is because it justifies why he was written to be as strong as he is. Sure, he can't cast magic very well. But that's because he wasn't born to do magic. He was born with two innate abilities that were quite frankly powerful but since they followed different rules, are of a different nature, and cannot be replicated, they therefore could not be called magic. Instead, I go with Miyuki's definition. Tatsuya doesn't do magic: he makes miracles. He's about as irregular a mage as they come.

The guy is also inventing new technology, discovering new concepts, doing the impossible, and introducing new paradigms in thinking. I say that's a lot of good stuff. As for his "beyond good and evil" mentality...look at him. Sure, he has principles, he doesn't just destroy things for no good reason, and in fact will only destroy things with good reason. But the man doesn't bat an eye when slaughtering hundreds, and would use deception, trickery, intimidation, and everything at his disposal to serve his interests. As long as Miyuki had nothing to do with anything, he doesn't really care much. What is good for evil for Tatsuya is whatever he deems as such. It is only because he is also genuinely smart that we find ourselves agreeing with his definition.

Oh, and not to mention it kinda explains why Miyuki looks at him the way she does: Tatsuya is a god in her eyes. The greatest being on earth. Hence why she's so protective of him, she regards even insulting or attempting to harm him as akin to a grievous sin. Tatsuya is Mr. Magnificent, let's not try to water him down just to justify him to other people. Let's not underestimate him. That's what Miyuki is trying to get people to understand.

Do you have something against this interpretation of his character? Perhaps, you think these kinds of ideas are just making the OP comments worse. But there's nothing wrong with being OP if it's used well, and Tatsuya is OP done right. He was intentionally made as strong as he is, and because he was made like this intentionally the author understood how best to use the idea to make it interesting by asking the right questions and giving all these different circumstances. That's part of what made people love him as a character.

Oh, and his physical abilities are incredible. By normal standards. Tomitsuka had magic that made him a nightmare in close quarters, while Yakumo is his master who he already matches in skill at just 16-17 years of age. Oh, and his beating full grown soldiers at just 13. He is incredible.