AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2023-11-12, 04:11   Link #101
Lex79

So, is this when the heroes start being helpful anche competent?
Old 2023-11-15, 15:44   Link #102
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
So the entire point of this episode was to setup Eclaire as a love interest for the sword moron lol like at least Rishia was part of the bow moron's party and had interacted with him before, but to have this character that has had zero interaction with the sword moron suddenly go and pull a Raphtalia is quite a choice for sure.
It's very unfortunate that they completely skipped over the arc that happened between them earlier. Not just because it would make the payoff here better, but that whole arc would have made it easier to accept the hengen musou style as a proper part of the world.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-15, 20:25   Link #103
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I want to make a general comment in this thread. There a lot of people here who have read the novels and are making casual open comments comparing the anime to the novels. Sometimes that's just about stuff that's shown, and sometimes it's explaining stuff that hasn't yet been shown.

I'd like to remind everyone about our forum rules about spoilers. In summary:
  • If it hasn't happened in the anime yet, you cannot post it in this thread at all, under any circumstance, ever.
  • If it was skipped over in the anime or done in a different way in the source material, you must use properly-labeled spoiler tags that explain the episode you're comparing to the novels, and put the entire comment behind the spoiler tags. Yes, that applies to a lot of posts before now in this thread. Technically speaking, we also have another thread specifically for that, too.

To be honest I ignored some rule-violating posts before now, but let's follow the actual rules that are intended to keep the forum usable for people who just want to talk about the anime without getting any source material info. Thank you.

P.S. This rule applies everywhere on this site, so please use the report post button to let us know of any violations.
Old 2023-11-17, 10:03   Link #104
Frontier

Things are progressing nicely in Naofumi's village. Ren is training with Eclair and getting to interact with the kids, Rishia is coming along nicely in her training, Atla is still schooling her brother, Sadeena is teaching the kids to transform into cute animal forms (Keel is the cutest kid ever!), and things are just moving along well .

The queen sends all types to Naofumi, huh? Like a monster alchemist named Ratotille who was shunned by her peers but is still chomping at the bit to continue her research and experiments on monsters...so I guess we're Monster Rancher now? Just keep her away from Filo! And Naofumi can probably relate to having the people you work with turn on you and ruin your work, but Rat is a woman in the Shield Hero anime, so of course she has to have a slave crest .

What does Wyndia have against Ren? None of the other kids have something against him so I have to assume it's personal .

Ah, kids always want to raise some animals for themselves...though a dragon egg is an entirely new prospect. And Naofumi gets to experience the joys of fatherhood by carrying it's egg across his back for most o the episode .

Okay, Atla and Fohl's mom definitely looked like Trash. I'm guessing the grey hair is genetic and not just old age. But what a milf !

Atla is a little young to be slipping into the bed of grown men, but I feel bad for her tying up her brother just so she can sneak into Naofumi's room. And then she and Raphtalia get into a shouting match over it with Naofumi caught in the middle. Young girls just can't resist the Shield Hero I guess .

Ren is totally crushing on Eclair. But honestly, could you blame him ?

Gaelion is a cute little dragon! And of course we get a montage of him making life in the village and getting along with everybody .

Can Fohl stop getting beat up? I'm sensing a big disparity in treatment between him and his sister here .

Dang it, things were going so well until Gaelion ate a dragon core from the other world and leveled up into a rampaging CGI dragon. And now he's big, bruising, and flying off on his own. This can't end well .
Old 2023-11-17, 10:35   Link #105
BWTraveller
Born to ship

To my knowledge this is the first time since right up at the start that he's made someone a slave for security reasons. Not going to argue on this one (though I'm curious if she was made a slave in the LN). I still don't think I'd call it a "fetish", since to me that means a source of sexual excitement and I honestly don't get any indication that this is being treated in a sexual manner at all. I mean, those with the greatest potential as love interests either aren't slaves or are strong enough that they don't even notice any affect from the crest. Doesn't mean I like him using it to make sure people aren't lying, that's a bit much for me. I'm fine with him using it as a fitting punishment for slavers, and with him taking advantage of the levelling bonus, but yeah this is more iffy for me. I just don't see any sexual or "fetish" connection regardless.

So they've brought out the Fundoshi Dog. Kind of jumped ahead on Keel's story. Thought that came after other things.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-17, 13:43   Link #106
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
To my knowledge this is the first time since right up at the start that he's made someone a slave for security reasons. Not going to argue on this one (though I'm curious if she was made a slave in the LN). I still don't think I'd call it a "fetish", since to me that means a source of sexual excitement and I honestly don't get any indication that this is being treated in a sexual manner at all. I mean, those with the greatest potential as love interests either aren't slaves or are strong enough that they don't even notice any affect from the crest. Doesn't mean I like him using it to make sure people aren't lying, that's a bit much for me. I'm fine with him using it as a fitting punishment for slavers, and with him taking advantage of the levelling bonus, but yeah this is more iffy for me. I just don't see any sexual or "fetish" connection regardless.

So they've brought out the Fundoshi Dog. Kind of jumped ahead on Keel's story. Thought that came after other things.
No, in the LN the Rat thing happened for the same reason.
Old 2023-11-17, 18:12   Link #107
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
No, in the LN the Rat thing happened for the same reason.
You mean she was told to take a slave crest in the LN as well?
Old 2023-11-17, 20:40   Link #108
grecefar

It's time for ren to shine in the next chapter and save the dragon.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-17, 22:42   Link #109
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
You mean she was told to take a slave crest in the LN as well?
Yes, to make sure she could not lie.
Old 2023-11-18, 01:08   Link #110
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Seemed kinda stupid to let the dragon around the evil dragon core, and just stare at it instead of stopping it. If you see a baby with a marble in its hands, especially if you know it can have a reaction to it, you're not just gonna sit there if it puts the item near its mouth. Naofumi could have at least tried to contain it, but nope, just let it casually and slowly step out of the building, take a few moments to get ready to fly, then fly away . I'm gonna assume that in that scene, the actions that occurred were more spontaneous than the anime had shown; otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Overall though, a good slice-of-life episode. Since the revenge angle is pretty much gone at this point, seeing him try to govern his lands in these last few episodes is interesting to me.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-18, 03:53   Link #111
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Objectively the story never even had a revenge angle. Naofumi always just wanted to be left alone, he was angry and bitter but never once made any effort to actively get revenge on anyone.
Old 2023-11-18, 10:32   Link #112
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Seemed kinda stupid to let the dragon around the evil dragon core, and just stare at it instead of stopping it. If you see a baby with a marble in its hands, especially if you know it can have a reaction to it, you're not just gonna sit there if it puts the item near its mouth. Naofumi could have at least tried to contain it, but nope, just let it casually and slowly step out of the building, take a few moments to get ready to fly, then fly away . I'm gonna assume that in that scene, the actions that occurred were more spontaneous than the anime had shown; otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Overall though, a good slice-of-life episode. Since the revenge angle is pretty much gone at this point, seeing him try to govern his lands in these last few episodes is interesting to me.
I'm inclined to blame that more on the timing of the animation than anything else. In a manga it'd be two frames. In a light novel it'd be a few sentences. They just didn't time the conversion right and thus made what would've been pretty fast look unreasonably slow.
Old 2023-11-18, 14:40   Link #113
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Rising of the Shield Hero season 3. Where You Point Your Strength

To be honest I'm the least qualified to call upon Ren's recklessness and selfishness, since I also have my own immaturity to deal with. Nonetheless, his memories from when he and his party challenged the Spirit Tortoise up to when he was kicked out of town delivered needed insight and nuance on him stooping so low.

He ran away from all, particularly from the fact that he believed this world was just a videogame and would not die as long as had continue or pressing the reset button. When his party members got killed and confirmed that the blood was real along with their lifeless bodies, that's when Ren first snapped but kept on negating reality.

The last straw was Myne which caused his slow descent into madness until receiving insults from the bandits forced him to reach past his breaking point.

Fortunately, Eclair stopped him and succeeded to snap sense onto Ren motivating him to look forward to find a true reason for himself in order to get real strong, which made Ren to realize that he needs the company of others in order to find his strength.

I believe that potentially Eclair has some feelings for Ren, and she extended to him the invitation to become his sparring partner maybe or not those feelings could actually blossom to real love so as long as Ren is able to realize and reciprocates them as well.

So, that's two heroes that Naofumi's party were able to recollect to their party.

Yes, I am as well cringed with Motoyasu's new strength and resolve now able to easily wipe out the otherwordly assassins since no need for him to activate his special skills and buffs. He is trying to impress Naofumi in order to get Filo's company, and now he's dead serious at listening to every word and advice that Naofumi will dispense at him.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-20, 04:21   Link #114
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Objectively the story never even had a revenge angle. Naofumi always just wanted to be left alone, he was angry and bitter but never once made any effort to actively get revenge on anyone.
Fair point. Usually characters that take on the tone Naofumi did at the beginning is because they want revenge for something, so I reflexively categorized him as a revenger. The basis of the point still stands though; since his treatment has changed radically since the beginning(which is what engrossed me into the series), his journey has not been as interesting for me. Him doing governing work, its a better focus now than him

Quote:
I'm inclined to blame that more on the timing of the animation than anything else. In a manga it'd be two frames. In a light novel it'd be a few sentences. They just didn't time the conversion right and thus made what would've been pretty fast look unreasonably slow.
Agreed. Its the only way it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
So, that's two heroes that Naofumi's party were able to recollect to their party.
Although it was an inevitable fate, I don't particularly like the concept of Naofumi "saving" them in order to do so. Yeah, the other 3 heroes were always weaker than him after the beginning, but it feels like more of a power dynamic in Naofumi's favor not just because he's reasonably stronger than them, but also has more connections and resources. I dunno how to put my feelings into words here; like, it feels more like they are subservient to him instead of them joining on equal terms.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-24, 10:05   Link #115
Frontier

If it wasn't bad enough they had Gaelion possessed by the Emperor Dragon Core, said Emperor Dragon is also draining Filo's stats and making her sick. And they can't get around taking her or the other kids with them to finding Gaelion. But it's nice to have Melty back in the party again .

This is a bittersweet homecoming for Ren because killing the original dragon of this area is one of his biggest screw-ups, but at least he's really self-aware about it now and is trying to improve. Hopefully Wyndia accepts his efforts, especially after he saved her .

Wyndia has dragon vein magic? That's pretty on-brand for a dragon lover, but also probably one of the big hints at her true heritage beyond her reaction every time someone brings up the dragon Ren killed .

Well, dang, the dragon's control of Filo was so powerful it was able to make her go feral and charge right at it, only to get de-transformed and eaten. Like, jeez. And I really didn't think we'd have the rest of the kids involved in this fight .

Poor Fohl. His sister lands on her feet effortlessly and he just falls like an idiot. Why is this poor kid the butt of jokes now ?

It's nice to see Melty fighting alongside everyone though. Gives some nice season 1 vibe .

So Wyndia is half-dragon!? The dragon Ren killed was her dad!? That...actually explains a lot. Can she transform into a dragon, too? And she named Gaelion after her dad and projects on him as her father. It's pretty sad. But I guess it explains her over-protectiveness towards dragons and mixed feelings towards Ren .

Well, now it's a real Boss Battle! He's got more dangerous phases! He's not even Gaelion any more, he's become the Emperor Dragon who seeks to conquer the world and get payback against Kizuna and co. And he can not only drain power from Naofumi's shield but even hijack it and upgrade the Wrath Shield and make him more powerful. And what a cliffhanger of him taking down everybody but Naofumi and the kids and Naofumi having to use all the shields he has to try to defend against his fire blast !
Old 2023-11-24, 10:38   Link #116
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think the dragon is more like a foster father than her actual one. Given the fate of demihumans in these parts, he probably took her from some slavers or some such when she was young.
Old 2023-11-24, 18:37   Link #117
grecefar

cgi or not that was a cool looking dragon. And I'm glad too see ren fighting along side naofumi even if raphtalia and eclair are better than him.

not a bad arc but there some thing I dislike, like wyndia and atla.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-25, 16:58   Link #118
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Rising of the Shield Hero season 3. The Girl and the Dragon

Most of this episode went by without any noticeable events. It was farmland life with Naofumi and Raphtalia tending to the needs of the village inhabitants and giving maintenance to the facilities.

Rat, I do not doubt, will prove her utility to Naofumi at a later episode, since her research to strengthening monsters might yield interesting results, and Naofumi admitted they could use some help to train the monsters that have been tamed.

Now as for why Atla is inviting herself to sleep in Naofumi's bed each night either she's naughty, or her admiration for the Shield Hero plays similar on how Raphtalia used to be as a child towards Naofumi. Or her proclaiming she's Naofumi's shield would not turn out to be a hollow claim.

As for Gaelion, nice games and children's fun ensue right after he was borned, though he fell melancholic for Naofumi not having time to play with him, and then he and Filo going after each others' throats.

Him swallowing the Emperor Dragon Core jewel triggered an unexpected mayhem for the village which quickly subsided once adult Gaelion took flight towards the mountains, but Naofumi and co. cannot leave him to his own devices for fear he might hurt someone or cause rampage.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 08:56   Link #119
scififan

Filo's skill points are still not returned to her. The dragon father is sort of reborn and reunites with his adopted daughter. Maybe he is too embarrassed to tell her about it. When the villagers making the blame for all destruction, Naofumi counters that it is the villagers' greed and deception for the dragon's treasure leads to their misery. Now, they are marching to the next adventure.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 10:03   Link #120
Frontier

The Boss Battle against the Emperor Dragon is...not going well. Atla is able to get in a good blow, but then everyone gets consumed by water. Although look at Ren getting comforted by Eclair for his lack of swimming skills, lucky guy .

Well, there goes my idea that an animal woman and a giant dragon knocked boots, Wyndia was just adopted by her dragon father after her father (?) escaped and gave her to him for her protecting with his dying breath. But what was he running from? Why did Wyndia need to be protected? What happened to her biological family ?

Baby Wyndia was so cute! As was watching a giant dragon learn how to take care of a baby in it's own dragon way. I'm actually kind of amazed she turned out as well as she did. How did she even learn how to speak? But at least Wyndia was happy...and it let her remember the dragon's greatest weakness .

The only thing Sadeena is as committed to as her booze is protecting the kids .

Naofumi has learned the best way to get a child to do something is to make them seem important in doing so .

Naofumi had to bring back the Wrath Shield! That's when you know things are serious !

Everyone dishes out their attacks strategically and effectively and gets some good hits in...until the Emperor Dragon unleashes a full AoE attack that weakness everyone. Luckily Atla was charging up an attack and with her brothers' help and tiger arms (Fohl was finally useful!) she was able to deal a decisive blow and free Filo AND Gaelion !

Is there any cooler finisher than a Sadeena whirlpool attack to steal the core back or Raphtalia finally slicing it up? Though it looks like the dragon go absorbed into the Wrath Shield .

All's well that ends well...Ren makes peace with Wyndia and with his past actions, the villagers get scolded for their own part in this, Wyndia's dad now IS Gaelion and can freely transform into an older form, and Filo...well, Filo lost a lot of EXP so she probably needs to level grind a lot, and Gaelion stole her Master for a ride in the sky, but otherwise she's okay .

"Perfect hidden justice." - Let me guess, Itsuki? He had a justice fetish .