AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2021-02-20, 07:47   Link #101
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought Erin was also on NHK-E, but my fansubs don't carry a logo.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-20, 23:57   Link #102
DarkJak2050

Okay, I might be wrong with my last post for Beast Player Erin's targeted audience age.

But even if Beast Player Erin was shown on NHK-E, that particular scene in that episode really more gives heavy implications of what's going on without actually showing it. And for good reason; if it was actually shown, it would've been inappropriate for a kids/family tv channel like NHK-E.

How that scene was shown basically backs up my statement that a kids/family tv channel like NHK-E can't show anything that's too brutal.

Bringing this matter back to Log Horizon (and a better example of that statement); look at this image of Kyokou getting murdered below. It's comparing how it was shown in the anime & in the illustration from the Source Material (Light Novels).

Spoiler for Anime/Source Material Comparison:

In a general sense, anything that's too brutal can't be shown on a kids/family tv channel. And this can affect animation quality for fights.

Great quality animation does make fights look great, but at the same time it tends to make it look too brutal, too flashy, too intense and/or too violent. Which are things that can't be shown in a kids/family tv channel.

And with Log Horizon airing on a kids/family tv channel, the animation quality for it's action scenes suffered from it. With Ep. 6 of season 3 being another example.

So, thanks a lot, NHK...

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2021-02-21 at 00:29.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 03:35   Link #103
magnuskn

Yeah, thanks a lot, NHK, for paying for this show to be made. I'd hate for it not to be made, since I don't read Japanese light novels, which would therefore have robbed me of experiencing these great characters and this great story. So, honestly, from my heart, thank you, NHK.
Old 2021-02-21, 04:47   Link #104
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, thanks a lot, NHK, for paying for this show to be made. I'd hate for it not to be made, since I don't read Japanese light novels, which would therefore have robbed me of experiencing these great characters and this great story. So, honestly, from my heart, thank you, NHK.
I guess you didn't get the point that I was ragging on NHK for not making this anime better than it should be right now; especially with the animation quality for it's action scenes.

Log Horizon has the writing, it has the music & it has the character development. Although, the pacing has been shoddy in some parts (mainly with Kanami's side-story); but what tends to drag it down are the visuals & animation quality for it's action scenes.

People complained that the visuals looks "cheap" & "too kiddish" looking. The anime's visuals are like that because NHK decided to make it more kid/family friendly. When the source material is aimed for Teens/Adults (it had more mature content that were completely cut out from the anime).

As for the action scenes, people complained that there wasn't as many action scenes & the animation quality for them is "decent" at best. And the current animation quality did those few actions scenes no favors. Sure there aren't that many action scenes; but what lacks in quantity, should be made up in quality. So, it allows the audience to savor it & make them look forward to the next ones.

But with Log Horizon being on a kids/family tv channel, it doesn't allow for it (for reasons I've stated in my last post). All because of NHK's decision to put it on a such tv channel.

All in all, I feel that Log Horizon's being "held back" in some parts.

Now then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
They still cut less than previous season. It seems, the production team just don't like Kanami volumes for some reason.
That doesn't answer my question about the "Puppet Show" in the anime. Was that part of Vol. 11 from the Light Novels or was that an anime only thing?

I was seriously asking that because after watching Ep. 6 of season 3, I feel like that I should read Vol. 11 of the Light Novels. So I can get content that was missed/cut out from the anime.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2021-02-21 at 05:17. Reason: Asking about the "Puppet Show".
Old 2021-02-21, 06:00   Link #105
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
I guess you didn't get the point that I was ragging on NHK for not making this anime better than it should be right now; especially with the animation quality for it's action scenes.

Log Horizon has the writing, it has the music & it has the character development. Although, the pacing has been shoddy in some parts (mainly with Kanami's side-story); but what tends to drag it down are the visuals & animation quality for it's action scenes.

People complained that the visuals looks "cheap" & "too kiddish" looking. The anime's visuals are like that because NHK decided to make it more kid/family friendly. When the source material is aimed for Teens/Adults (it had more mature content that were completely cut out from the anime).

As for the action scenes, people complained that there wasn't as many action scenes & the animation quality for them is "decent" at best. And the current animation quality did those few actions scenes no favors. Sure there aren't that many action scenes; but what lacks in quantity, should be made up in quality. So, it allows the audience to savor it & make them look forward to the next ones.

But with Log Horizon being on a kids/family tv channel, it doesn't allow for it (for reasons I've stated in my last post). All because of NHK's decision to put it on a such tv channel.

All in all, I feel that Log Horizon's being "held back" in some parts.
Sure, we can do the "Life's good... but it could be better!" dance, but the thing is, that we still got the show at all, one of the shows which I really, really love for the characters and story. Yeah, the fight animations are not top notch. So what? By the subject matter alone, Log Horizon will never be on the level of popularity of, say, SOA. At the very least, they have somewhat good looking fight scenes, not stuff like Cop Craft, which was actively ruined by incredibly shitty fight animations.

I'm good with the way the show is right now. I hope we get more seasons after this, too.
Old 2021-02-21, 06:33   Link #106
RDNexus

Agreed. Instead of complaining about what we got, we should be glad it's still being adapted at all.
After the deed's done one can complain, as long as there's reasoning for doing so in the first place.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 10:20   Link #107
DarkJak2050

Quote:
I'm good with the way the show is right now. I hope we get more seasons after this, too.
Funny that you say that, because popularity can be a factor if a series gets more seasons or not. Season 3 as a whole is doing alright, but after how the recent episode was done, my confidence in it has gone down.

And there's another problem. Log Horizon is in a season that's heavily stacked with other big name titles;
- Attack on Titan
- Re:Zero
- The Promised Neverland
- Reincarnated As a Slime
- Dr. Stone
- The Quintessential Quintuplets
- Jobless Reincarnation
- Jujutsu Kaisen
- Horimiya

Right now, Log Horizon is fighting just to get back on the map. It's because of after how season 2 wasn't handled well & Mamare's Tax Evasions (resulting in little to no Light Novel content publication between late 2015 & now), a lot of people gave up on it. To make it worst, those big named titles mentioned above can overshadow Log Horizon, making things more difficult than needed. In other words; taking away potentially new viewers/supporters from Log Horizon.

If season 3 doesn't do well and doesn't gain the popularity, we may not have any more seasons. And the anime will remain unfinished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNexus View Post
Agreed. Instead of complaining about what we got, we should be glad it's still being adapted at all.
After the deed's done one can complain, as long as there's reasoning for doing so in the first place.
Yeah sure, just accept a portion of something (instead of the whole) when at the end of the day, it wasn't enough.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2021-02-21 at 10:40.
Old 2021-02-21, 11:22   Link #108
RDNexus

This heavily stacked season was due to COVID. An abnormal situation.
And NHK-E being a state television sure helps little. We can just wait and see.

Quote:
Yeah sure, just accept a portion of something (instead of the whole) when at the end of the day, it wasn't enough.
If I complained every time a story I like doesn't get a follow-up, I wouldn't watch anime at all.
That's how the industry works, deal with it or move on.

Last edited by RDNexus; 2021-02-21 at 14:46.
Old 2021-02-21, 13:00   Link #109
magnuskn

Quote:
Dude, it's just you who is making such a huge fuss that the fight scenes were somehow restricted by the show being on a channel which caters to younger viewers. Everybody else here has been discussing about the plot of the show and the characters.
Old 2021-02-21, 16:23   Link #110
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
And there's another problem. Log Horizon is in a season that's heavily stacked with other big name titles;
I agree with this. It's been over six years since the last season aired. Waiting until July when the schedule looks less competitive would have made sense.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-21, 17:11   Link #111
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I agree with this. It's been over six years since the last season aired. Waiting until July when the schedule looks less competitive would have made sense.
They probably couldn't/didn't want to delay the airing any further.
This season had already been delayed from last year, due to COVID.
And most likely they had nothing worthwhile to take its airing slot.
Old 2021-02-24, 13:26   Link #112
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Probably is best for Rayneshia to just come to the conclusion that she's going to have to go and find Krusty herself. That guy will go to war on the moon before actually making his way back to them .

This did resolve things simply enough. Catching up mostly on what went down over there and where things are at the moment.
Old 2021-02-24, 14:39   Link #113
magnuskn

Alright, side-story recap over. Let's see what the villain in glasses has come up with next episode.
Old 2021-02-24, 19:50   Link #114
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Alright, side-story recap over. Let's see what the villain in glasses has come up with next episode.
Looks like we're getting a story about the kids instead.
Old 2021-02-24, 21:44   Link #115
Wandering Soul

And apparently the guild will get a mascot/pet.
Old 2021-02-25, 05:58   Link #116
DarkJak2050

So...

That's it? Just 2 episodes covering Vol. 11? I find it a waste that it's been covered that way; there could've been more to Kanami's side story. Other than animation quality; being the "power point slideshow" animation for the most part, one issue I mainly had with this particular episode is how Elias & Leonardo's fight was done. I felt that it was underwhelming. There could've been more "fuel for the fire" to make it more impactful & meaningful in showing development for Elias. But no, just like with all of Vol. 11's content this season, it was rushed and it made Elias's development underwhelming.

As for how Kanami's story being adapted as a whole, I'll just cut right to it; it can use an anime series of it's own. So it can be properly fleshed out. Like Scientific Railgun for the Magical Index franchise. 3 total episodes (1 in season 2 & 2 in season 3) covering 2 Volumes worth of content is nowhere near enough.

And Mamare Touno confirmed that he'll write 3 Volumes worth of content for Kanami's story. And if there's enough a demand/popularity for Log Horizon's franchise as a whole, it could have an anime season of it's own as a side-story. But the real question is, will it?

Now then... Starting next week & for the remainder of season 3, we'll be in Vol. 13's content. And from what I've read, it going to center around the Kids. This is what I've actually been looking forward to because of how they were portrayed in season's 1 & 2. This season, we'll get to see them go even further in their development. Look here;

Season 1: we saw them have a proper set up & start as adventures.
Season 2: we saw them taking on their first major quest with little to no help from the Veterans. This is a huge step forward as adventurers.

For season 3, I'll abstain from saying for spoilers sake. But regardless, it's going to be important for these kids. And in regards to the lack of action in the main story of season 3 (Ep. 1-5); Vol. 13's content will make up for it.

Although... seeing the animation quality in these last 2 episodes, has me concern for how Vol. 13's action sequences are going to be shown.

Edited 2/26/2021:
Okay, I'm not sure if anyone cares for Dubs as much. But why not? Season 3's getting an English Dub as it airs. Most of the cast from season 1 & 2 are reprising their roles. The first English Dubbed episode of season 3 is available on Funimation.

Anime News Network Source.
Funimation Twitter.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2021-02-26 at 23:29. Reason: English Dub announced & released
Old 2021-03-04, 01:15   Link #117
velvet nightmare

my god, the pacing/writing of these episodes is all over the place.

we had those side story like kanami and friend episodes. and then the latest episode did nothing to advance the storyline until the last 30 seconds when we were just told a genius was on its way. which we already saw in the first 30 seconds of the show.
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 01:24   Link #118
magnuskn

Well, I for one appreciated the slower pace, since character development for the main cast had been missing a bit before, with all the stuff happening. A bit frustrated with the non-advancement in the romance between Akatsuki and Shiroe, but I guess you gotta stretch it out. I'd just hope that Minori would find some other dude to be enamored of, she so obviously is not going to get what she wants here.

Also, that recount of insane grind quests was pretty hilarious.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2021-03-04 at 01:37.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-04, 04:49   Link #119
DarkJak2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
my god, the pacing/writing of these episodes is all over the place.

we had those side story like kanami and friend episodes. and then the latest episode did nothing to advance the storyline until the last 30 seconds when we were just told a genius was on its way. which we already saw in the first 30 seconds of the show.
Getting 3 Volumes worth of Web/Light Novel content in 12 anime episodes; it's bound to happen. Particularly with Kanami's Sidestory. It should've been better paced/written, because it may not look like it, but Kanami's side story in Vol. 11 is rather important for the main story in a way. For starters, if my "alignment" is right, what happened in Sirius Grotto was going on around the same time as the incident with the Eternal Moths (the last few episodes of season 2). And when the Eternal Moths incident & the events in Sirius Grotto ended is when we saw Kanami and Shiroe made contact with each other at the end of season 2. And it was here is where that Shiroe & company find out what happened to Krusty after he vanished in season 2.

And after getting more info about Krusty from Misa and Rieze (Ep. 6 & 7 for season 3), that is when Shiroe began to "make plans". Which were revealed in the recent episode.

From what I can gather, Kanami's sidestory is now tying into the main story. If only it was paced out better, but this is what happens when you try to cover 3 volume's worth of content in 12 anime episodes. And it seems to be affecting Log Horizon's performance this season.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2021-03-04 at 05:06.
Old 2021-03-04, 08:20   Link #120
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Those two NPC kinda remind me of Pati and Tia from PSO2, could it be a reference or just a coincidence?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote