AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite girl?
Nu 5 4.31%
Gamma 12 10.34%
Alpha 46 39.66%
Delta 30 25.86%
Beta 23 19.83%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-05-16, 23:01   Link #101
lokoxDZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
My only real problem with this series is that, just like One Punch man, I'm more interested in the actual story going on in the background than the gag of the MC.
Thats why i stopped reading it, first because of how he is unaware of harem stuff, that its something i already hate and then author put a background story that actually pick up my interest but i have to deal mostly with the gag stuff
lokoxDZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-17, 00:19   Link #102
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokoxDZz View Post
Thats why i stopped reading it, first because of how he is unaware of harem stuff, that its something i already hate and then author put a background story that actually pick up my interest but i have to deal mostly with the gag stuff
Yeah. It'd be better if he was aware but didn't want to be part of the actual drama, and instead kept getting dragged into it when he has to use Shadow as a way to get his friends out of the crazy shit they wander into.

Instead he's just casually butchering people he doesn't know are actually evil, thinks nothing of screwing over his friends, and basically spends all his time in delusion. It makes him seem almost malicious as opposed to oblivious. The part where he beat Alpha unconscious and left her crying in the snow nearly made me YEET my computer out a window.

I get that its a gag and I'm taking it too seriously, but my problem is that so is the story. To everyone else in the world, all of the events are deadly serious, and the series portrays it as such. It's really irritating because the writer obviously could have just picked one or the other and done perfectly well with it.
Old 2019-05-17, 00:48   Link #103
Rimbo99

I think him just playing along is part of the charm. The series is just going with the idea that this OP figure has some unknown goal but yet is saving the world. And everyone witness his feats.

Think of the series as a parody of Mad Max.
Rimbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-17, 07:46   Link #104
Rimbo99

Anyway, I'm reading the Outlaw City Arc. Who are the three monarchs, the owners of the Three Towers.

Is it?
1) Juggernaut
2) Yukihime
3) Elizabeth.
Old 2019-05-17, 10:55   Link #105
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Yeah. It'd be better if he was aware but didn't want to be part of the actual drama, and instead kept getting dragged into it when he has to use Shadow as a way to get his friends out of the crazy shit they wander into.

Instead he's just casually butchering people he doesn't know are actually evil, thinks nothing of screwing over his friends, and basically spends all his time in delusion. It makes him seem almost malicious as opposed to oblivious. The part where he beat Alpha unconscious and left her crying in the snow nearly made me YEET my computer out a window.
I disagree. What makes the story interesting beyond the comedy is Cid's character. Him being straight up sociopathic and/or a egocentric manchild while being as delusional as he is gives the story potential to develop in more exciting directions.

What would he do if he does realize what's going on? Would he commit to helping Shadow Garden or would the revelation that there actually is a power controlling the world from the Shadows cause him to make even more dumber plans to fulfill his Chuuni desires. Would he ever develop out of his sociopathic nature? Is it even possible for him to turn into a relatively normal person? How would Shadow Garden react if they found out their leader is insane?

These questions and many more regarding Cid are why I'm continuing to enjoy the story as it is. If Cid turns into a morally normal MC this is just another OP MC Isekai which is boring.

Quote:
I get that its a gag and I'm taking it too seriously, but my problem is that so is the story. To everyone else in the world, all of the events are deadly serious, and the series portrays it as such. It's really irritating because the writer obviously could have just picked one or the other and done perfectly well with it.
IMO the story would be less interesting and unique if he did pick one side. Pick the side where the world itself is wacky and fun and it becomes a poor man's version of Konosuba. Pick the side where everything is serious and the only fun part about it is the misunderstanding comedy caused by Shadow Garden overrating their leaders competence and it's a poor man's version of Overlord. The dichotomy between how Sid see's the world and how the world actually is, is what makes this story fun and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbo99 View Post
Anyway, I'm reading the Outlaw City Arc. Who are the three monarchs, the owners of the Three Towers.

Is it?
1) Juggernaut
2) Yukihime
3) Elizabeth.
Yep
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-17, 11:20   Link #106
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
I disagree. What makes the story interesting beyond the comedy is Cid's character. Him being straight up sociopathic and/or a egocentric manchild while being as delusional as he is gives the story potential to develop in more exciting directions.

What would he do if he does realize what's going on? Would he commit to helping Shadow Garden or would the revelation that there actually is a power controlling the world from the Shadows cause him to make even more dumber plans to fulfill his Chuuni desires. Would he ever develop out of his sociopathic nature? Is it even possible for him to turn into a relatively normal person? How would Shadow Garden react if they found out their leader is insane?

These questions and many more regarding Cid are why I'm continuing to enjoy the story as it is. If Cid turns into a morally normal MC this is just another OP MC Isekai which is boring.
The problem is that none of that depth of character actually exists. CID isn't secretly a sociopath who loves death and killing, or else he wouldn't take all those "losses" as a mob character. He isn't so egocentric he's delusional either. He thinks the girls in Shadow Garden know about his games and ditched him out of annoyance and pity. He's just stupid.

I dont know, but any of those possibilities would be more interesting than the current tonal inconsistency. The series is trying to have a real story while also doing a gag narrative and its killing them both.

Who said he should be normally moral? I just want him to stop being stupid. If he goes full chuuni and decides to try and take over the world for real or freaks out and runs from it all only to bumble into more trouble, either is fine.

Quote:
IMO the story would be less interesting and unique if he did pick one side. Pick the side where the world itself is wacky and fun and it becomes a poor man's version of Konosuba. Pick the side where everything is serious and the only fun part about it is the misunderstanding comedy caused by Shadow Garden overrating their leaders competence and it's a poor man's version of Overlord. The dichotomy between how Sid see's the world and how the world actually is, is what makes this story fun and interesting.
Except that by trying to do both it succeeds in neither. Cid doing actions for gag reasons in a serious scene with actual consequences that drastically affect the serious world around him isn't amusing, it's frustrating.

He led Rose to kill her father and sent the country into chaos because he thought the scene was cool

He beat a woman who would literally die for him unconscious to steal her money.

And so on.

The gag narrative and the serious one undercut each other instead of building off one another. If Cid just wanted to be Chuuni but circumstances keep forcing it into reality, that's be one thing. If the world was just so crazy it kept matching/exceeding his delusions, that'd be fine. But it's just a delusional kid with God powers getting in the way of an actual battle for world dominance instead.
Old 2019-05-17, 12:32   Link #107
Rimbo99

Quote:
The problem is that none of that depth of character actually exists. CID isn't secretly a sociopath who loves death and killing, or else he wouldn't take all those "losses" as a mob character. He isn't so egocentric he's delusional either. He thinks the girls in Shadow Garden know about his games and ditched him out of annoyance and pity. He's just stupid.

I dont know, but any of those possibilities would be more interesting than the current tonal inconsistency. The series is trying to have a real story while also doing a gag narrative and its killing them both.

Who said he should be normally moral? I just want him to stop being stupid. If he goes full chuuni and decides to try and take over the world for real or freaks out and runs from it all only to bumble into more trouble, either is fine.

Except that by trying to do both it succeeds in neither. Cid doing actions for gag reasons in a serious scene with actual consequences that drastically affect the serious world around him isn't amusing, it's frustrating.

He led Rose to kill her father and sent the country into chaos because he thought the scene was cool

He beat a woman who would literally die for him unconscious to steal her money.

And so on.

The gag narrative and the serious one undercut each other instead of building off one another. If Cid just wanted to be Chuuni but circumstances keep forcing it into reality, that's be one thing. If the world was just so crazy it kept matching/exceeding his delusions, that'd be fine. But it's just a delusional kid with God powers getting in the way of an actual battle for world dominance instead.
I won't say Cid is stupid. Actually, Cid does cares for his friends. He just has a funny way in showing it. While he did lie but that lie improves the girls' lives as they not only have a purpose but also have the opportunity to restore their live after the Diabolos Cult ruin it.

Also, you are pretty confused. He didn't start a civil war. It happened because Doem brainwashed Rose's father who was going to be used to kill Midgar's king. All Cid did was giving Rose the power to do something.

If you are talking about Yukihime as the one who literally die for him, you are mistaken. Her life was already crap and Cid didn't say that he was betraying her. All he said that he was going to pay her and Shadow Garden back for their help.
Old 2019-05-17, 13:34   Link #108
Log

Quote:
The problem is that none of that depth of character actually exists. CID isn't secretly a sociopath who loves death and killing, or else he wouldn't take all those "losses" as a mob character.
I never said that Cid loves "death and killing" otherwise I would've called him a psychopath (someone who actually shows violent social behavior). Sociopath is defined by a "person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience" which fits Cid to the tee. His most consistent behavior throughout the story besides being Chuuni is showing a lack of remorse for anything he does. Like you said, he kills people with little thought towards whether they deserve it or not, he's ok with ruining his "friends" if it means he gets to fulfill his goals and he seriously though about assassinating a Iris (a country's princess) for shit and giggles. The only thing he really cares about his himself and his chuuni goals and everything else is optional. If that isn't being a sociopath it's a least sociopath behavior and some form of mental illness.

Also it should be noted that the rare times he showed empathy, such as when he confronted Sherry's step-father in arc 2, the narration cuts towards 3rd person so we have no idea if Cid is being genuine or if he's being Chuuni like usual.

Quote:
He isn't so egocentric he's delusional either. He thinks the girls in Shadow Garden know about his games and ditched him out of annoyance and pity. He's just stupid.
I'm confused on what you're saying here. Are you saying he's not delusional because he definitely is.

Also he's definitely egocentric. The dude basically puts his own goals above anything else and there were several times where he outright said that the world can go fuck itself as long as he gets his. He's the rare type of egocentric where he's selfish but not prideful so his personality allows him to look bad and play the fool as long as it furthers his own goals.

Also I would contest that he's stupid at the very least from a IQ standpoint. He's shown no difficulty in trying to understand things when he bothers to listen and he also masters things he puts effort in such as piano, anatomy (he corrected his sister's misconception on chocking and knows the human body enough to know where to get stabbed and still be relatively fine) and developing his slime weapons. Fighting is especially a area where it's repeatedly emphasized by literally everyone that Cid isn't just a unskilled but strong stat monster like say Saitama, he is legit world class at every aspect of fighting be it skill, intelligence or power and it's sorta stated that he mastered every aspect of fighting (Hand to hand, weapon, etc. etc.) before getting isekaied which would imply extremely high learning abilities.

His primary issue comes down to being egocentric and lacking the ability to see other's viewpoints. He doesn't bother to listen to anyone else (it's heavily implied that he doesn't listen to Beta's reports at all) if he's not interested and doesn't bother to consider that his viewpoint and assumptions may be wrong which leads to him getting the wrong conclusions about his situation.

Quote:
Agree to disagree then. I personally still found it fun the difference between how Cid views the world compared to reality.

Quote:
This you can't blame Cid. He thought that Rose was going thru a "rebellious" phase and tried to give some cryptic bullshit advise as Shadow because it looked cool. Rose came to the conclusion by herself that killing her father based was the correct move based on Cid's bullshit advise which wasn't Cid's intention. Then Rose came out of nowhere and interrupted Cid's spotlight and stabbed her father which again would've been something that was against Cid's intention. He didn't "led" her as much as she "led" herself.
Old 2019-05-17, 14:46   Link #109
XFire
150% done

Quote:
I never said that Cid loves "death and killing" otherwise I would've called him a psychopath (someone who actually shows violent social behavior). Sociopath is defined by a "person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience" which fits Cid to the tee. His most consistent behavior throughout the story besides being Chuuni is showing a lack of remorse for anything he does. Like you said, he kills people with little thought towards whether they deserve it or not, he's ok with ruining his "friends" if it means he gets to fulfill his goals and he seriously though about assassinating a Iris (a country's princess) for shit and giggles. The only thing he really cares about his himself and his chuuni goals and everything else is optional. If that isn't being a sociopath it's a least sociopath behavior and some form of mental illness.
A sociopath wouldn't be worried about Alpha being "mad" at him or show friendship to Aurora.

Quote:
Also it should be noted that the rare times he showed empathy, such as when he confronted Sherry's step-father in arc 2, the narration cuts towards 3rd person so we have no idea if Cid is being genuine or if he's being Chuuni like usual.
That was him being chuuni.

Quote:
I'm confused on what you're saying here. Are you saying he's not delusional because he definitely is.

Also he's definitely egocentric. The dude basically puts his own goals above anything else and there were several times where he outright said that the world can go fuck itself as long as he gets his. He's the rare type of egocentric where he's selfish but not prideful so his personality allows him to look bad and play the fool as long as it furthers his own goals.
He is, but it's not a lack of pride, it's a fundamental misunderstanding of his placement in the world. He thought that the enemy bank would have crushed Shadow Garden's proxy, for one.

Cid does not realize that the world isn't ordinary. He thinks the cult, Shadow Garden, the demons, and everything else is just more people like him acting out fantasies.

Quote:
Also I would contest that he's stupid at the very least from a IQ standpoint. He's shown no difficulty in trying to understand things when he bothers to listen and he also masters things he puts effort in such as piano, anatomy (he corrected his sister's misconception on chocking and knows the human body enough to know where to get stabbed and still be relatively fine) and developing his slime weapons. Fighting is especially a area where it's repeatedly emphasized by literally everyone that Cid isn't just a unskilled but strong stat monster like say Saitama, he is legit world class at every aspect of fighting be it skill, intelligence or power and it's sorta stated that he mastered every aspect of fighting (Hand to hand, weapon, etc. etc.) before getting isekaied which would imply extremely high learning abilities.
That's true, but it doesn't change that he sat in a carriage for nearly a day with someone talking about introducing him to her parents as a potential partner and never realized she liked him.

Quote:
His primary issue comes down to being egocentric and lacking the ability to see other's viewpoints. He doesn't bother to listen to anyone else (it's heavily implied that he doesn't listen to Beta's reports at all) if he's not interested and doesn't bother to consider that his viewpoint and assumptions may be wrong which leads to him getting the wrong conclusions about his situation.
He thinks Beta is making stuff up to placate them. He listens but thinks it's just a setting for them to go play around. Cid genuinely believes that he's nothing but a kid playing chuuni who hasn't come close to his goal.

Quote:
Agree to disagree then. I personally still found it fun the difference between how Cid views the world compared to reality.
It was at first, and I still enjoy the parts where he's just off with one of the Shadows doing something epic without realizing it, it's just that anytime he ends up screwing people who care about him over because he can't be bothered to notice they aren't playing around as well grinds me the wrong way.

Quote:
This you can't blame Cid. He thought that Rose was going thru a "rebellious" phase and tried to give some cryptic bullshit advise as Shadow because it looked cool. Rose came to the conclusion by herself that killing her father based was the correct move based on Cid's bullshit advise which wasn't Cid's intention. Then Rose came out of nowhere and interrupted Cid's spotlight and stabbed her father which again would've been something that was against Cid's intention. He didn't "led" her as much as she "led" herself.
The problem with that is that he knew that Rose, his friend, was in trouble, and decided to just play Shadow instead of, say, asking Alpha or Beta to help her out.
Old 2019-05-17, 16:51   Link #110
Log

Quote:
A sociopath wouldn't be worried about Alpha being "mad" at him or show friendship to Aurora.
That doesn't really mean anything tho. Cid worrying about Alpha being "mad" about him is him trying to avoid something annoying rather than any concern over her feelings. Cid also wanted to avoid making his sister annoyed but when push comes to shove Cid prioritized gold coins over his sisters safety which showed how little he actually cared about her. Cid showing friendship to Aurora is also more based on the circumstances of the incident.

Also sociopaths can form "friendships" and even emotional attachment with other people especially high functioning sociopaths. That's even more true in fiction where characters who are characterized as sociopaths are often times the "good guys" based on emotional attachment or friendship with someone whose genuinely a good person (often times the MC).

Note that I actually don't think that Cid's a full blown sociopath but like I said before, he has sociopathic qualities and he definitely has some form of mental disorder.

Quote:
That was him being chuuni.
In the Sherry incident? That's debatable. There's basically no time where Cid actually sits down and bothers to talk with people he's going to kill unlike Sherry's step-father. There's also this reaction when he found out what Sherry's step-father did.

Spoiler for Chapter 40:

Cid admitting that he's "chafed" about Ruslan's actions is probably the only time where he displays angry for one of his "friends". Other times he's angry over stupid shit like money. He even made it a point to kill Ruslan in the same manner that Ruslan killed Sherry's mother.

Now is that him being Chuuni? Who knows since his narration on this incident was completely absent. There's a chance he thought that it would be "cool" if he was someone's misunderstood revenge target (basically Itachi) so he made it a point to kill Ruslan at the exact moment when Sherry came in.

Quote:
That's true, but it doesn't change that he sat in a carriage for nearly a day with someone talking about introducing him to her parents as a potential partner and never realized she liked him.
That isn't really a good example of Cid being stupid tho. Cid's basically asexual (or Chuunisexual), he has never shown any interest or any remote hint of attraction to females. He isn't like a vast majority of harem mains who are blatantly interested in females but magically can't understand when a female is interested in him. I doubt his brain even has a understanding of what "romantic feeling" is beyond the literal definition.

Quote:
The problem with that is that he knew that Rose, his friend, was in trouble, and decided to just play Shadow instead of, say, asking Alpha or Beta to help her out.
Again, he doesn't really care about his friend so........

Besides even if he does have concern over Rose's safety he likely assumed that she would be safe after healing her from the Diabolos curse which granted her enough strength where only high level members of Shadow Garden, the cult or exceptionally strong magic swordsman (such as Iris) can beat her. He definitely didn't expect her to go straight into the fire and interrupt his Chuuni fun time.
Old 2019-05-17, 18:05   Link #111
XFire
150% done

Quote:
That doesn't really mean anything tho. Cid worrying about Alpha being "mad" about him is him trying to avoid something annoying rather than any concern over her feelings. Cid also wanted to avoid making his sister annoyed but when push comes to shove Cid prioritized gold coins over his sisters safety which showed how little he actually cared about her. Cid showing friendship to Aurora is also more based on the circumstances of the incident.

Also sociopaths can form "friendships" and even emotional attachment with other people especially high functioning sociopaths. That's even more true in fiction where characters who are characterized as sociopaths are often times the "good guys" based on emotional attachment or friendship with someone whose genuinely a good person (often times the MC).

Note that I actually don't think that Cid's a full blown sociopath but like I said before, he has sociopathic qualities and he definitely has some form of mental disorder.
He goes out of the way to write an apology he didn't think they could read, implying a guilty conscience, and spends most of the arc justifying his actions to himself. You're reading far too much into his characterization. He's just too dumb to notice when things have actual consequence.

Quote:
In the Sherry incident? That's debatable. There's basically no time where Cid actually sits down and bothers to talk with people he's going to kill unlike Sherry's step-father. There's also this reaction when he found out what Sherry's step-father did.

Spoiler for Chapter 40:

Cid admitting that he's "chafed" about Ruslan's actions is probably the only time where he displays angry for one of his "friends". Other times he's angry over stupid shit like money. He even made it a point to kill Ruslan in the same manner that Ruslan killed Sherry's mother.

Now is that him being Chuuni? Who knows since his narration on this incident was completely absent. There's a chance he thought that it would be "cool" if he was someone's misunderstood revenge target (basically Itachi) so he made it a point to kill Ruslan at the exact moment when Sherry came in.
He's playing it cool. He never even thinks about Sherry again after that and there's no indication he actually cared about what was going on.

Quote:
That isn't really a good example of Cid being stupid tho. Cid's basically asexual (or Chuunisexual), he has never shown any interest or any remote hint of attraction to females. He isn't like a vast majority of harem mains who are blatantly interested in females but magically can't understand when a female is interested in him. I doubt his brain even has a understanding of what "romantic feeling" is beyond the literal definition.
There's a difference in being attracted to someone and being able to tell they are interested in you when they spend hours talking about your potential future together. A gay man would have noticed her intentions, so "lack of attraction" is not an excuse.

Quote:
Again, he doesn't really care about his friend so........

Besides even if he does have concern over Rose's safety he likely assumed that she would be safe after healing her from the Diabolos curse which granted her enough strength where only high level members of Shadow Garden, the cult or exceptionally strong magic swordsman (such as Iris) can beat her. He definitely didn't expect her to go straight into the fire and interrupt his Chuuni fun time.
The point is that he goes out of the way to screw around with her and then afterwords is like "wow, that was weird, hope she's okay". Its not a lack of care it's a lack of awareness of how severe the situation is.
Old 2019-05-17, 20:17   Link #112
Log

Quote:
He goes out of the way to write an apology he didn't think they could read, implying a guilty conscience, and spends most of the arc justifying his actions to himself. You're reading far too much into his characterization. He's just too dumb to notice when things have actual consequence.
He doesn't know the severity of the consequence but he does understand that he's ruining his friend's business that they worked hard to built up hence why he understands Alpha would be mad at him. As for guilty conscience, idk, his justifications seem more nonchalant than anything else like a out of touch billionare who lays off thousands of workers and justifies it like "a least they don't have to work anymore". To your point the note does say something but it's somewhat telling that he wrote the note than completely forgot about it as soon as possible judging by the fact that he doesn't even consider the possibility that Shadow Garden could've stolen the gold based on the note he wrote.

W/e tho. You think Cid's dumb. I think Cid's issues come from mental disorders. We both laid out our arguments thoroughly. Agree to disagree.

Quote:
He's playing it cool. He never even thinks about Sherry again after that and there's no indication he actually cared about what was going on.
Meh, personally I think that telling the villain that he was "chafed" is a solid indication for a guy that hasn't shown much concern for anyone besides himself in this story but like I said it can be open to interpretation.

Quote:
There's a difference in being attracted to someone and being able to tell they are interested in you when they spend hours talking about your potential future together. A gay man would have noticed her intentions, so "lack of attraction" is not an excuse.
I don't think Cid's comprehension of hetrosexual romance (or any kind of romance) is even to the level of a gay man tho. It's seems more akin to how a another species (like say aliens) would view human romance.

Quote:
The point is that he goes out of the way to screw around with her and then afterwords is like "wow, that was weird, hope she's okay". Its not a lack of care it's a lack of awareness of how severe the situation is.
Naw he definitely doesn't care. Cid has enough awareness to understand what Rose killing his father means and he even commented on how people are hating on her and trying to chase her down but he didn't show that he cared beyond commenting internally that he "feels bad for her" and he supported her. This is a reoccurring thing with Cid, where someone he's supposedly close to is in danger and he understands that they're in danger but he doesn't feel the urgency to help and is more than content to continue playing his stupid games.

For example he understood that his sister got kidnapped. He thinks it's bandits instead of the Order but that still doesn't change the danger of his sisters kidnapping. Instead of showing urgency to help his sister he does the whole "throw knife at map" trope to look cool and it just happened to work out for him.

He also understood that Alexia got kidnapped but he let himself got captured and tortured for a week in order to keep up the appearance of a "mob" instead of rushing to help her.

During the battle with the vampire queen Cid should've a least understood that everyone there was under threat of dying (besides himself) from how wounded and beat up they were but still weighed himself down with gold instead of prioritizing everyone's life ("everyone" included his sister and Beta) which made the battle much harder than it should've been and could've killed the bystanders there if the Vampire Queen bothered to target them instead of Cid.

The list of Cid not caring about the lives of people he's close to just goes on and on which is why I don't think his actions change even if he understands the situation. That isn't to say that Cid completely doesn't care if people live or die (he'll help people if it doesn't inconvenience himself) but rather that if he'll always prioritize having fun as a Chuuni over other people.
Old 2019-05-17, 21:03   Link #113
XFire
150% done

Quote:
He doesn't know the severity of the consequence but he does understand that he's ruining his friend's business that they worked hard to built up hence why he understands Alpha would be mad at him. As for guilty conscience, idk, his justifications seem more nonchalant than anything else like a out of touch billionare who lays off thousands of workers and justifies it like "a least they don't have to work anymore". To your point the note does say something but it's somewhat telling that he wrote the note than completely forgot about it as soon as possible judging by the fact that he doesn't even consider the possibility that Shadow Garden could've stolen the gold based on the note he wrote.

W/e tho. You think Cid's dumb. I think Cid's issues come from mental disorders. We both laid out our arguments thoroughly. Agree to disagree.
A sociopath wouldn't have made the justifications at all. I'm not saying he isn't detached, just that he doesn't understand the actual scale of basically everything he's involved in.

As for mental illness, there's no support for it. Your extrapolating based off his behavior, except that Cid is a gag character. He acts like he does because that's the joke, there isn't anything medically wrong with him. He misunderstands because the joke is that he misunderstands.

He didn't think they could read the note.

Quote:
Meh, personally I think that telling the villain that he was "chafed" is a solid indication for a guy that hasn't shown much concern for anyone besides himself in this story but like I said it can be open to interpretation.
He wouldn't have played the situation like he did if he actually cared.

Quote:
I don't think Cid's comprehension of hetrosexual romance (or any kind of romance) is even to the level of a gay man tho. It's seems more akin to how a another species (like say aliens) would view human romance.
The entire thing with Alexa kind puts a hole in that theory. He knows what romance is and he still doesn't notice.

Quote:
Naw he definitely doesn't care. Cid has enough awareness to understand what Rose killing his father means and he even commented on how people are hating on her and trying to chase her down but he didn't show that he cared beyond commenting internally that he "feels bad for her" and he supported her. This is a reoccurring thing with Cid, where someone he's supposedly close to is in danger and he understands that they're in danger but he doesn't feel the urgency to help and is more than content to continue playing his stupid games.

For example he understood that his sister got kidnapped. He thinks it's bandits instead of the Order but that still doesn't change the danger of his sisters kidnapping. Instead of showing urgency to help his sister he does the whole "throw knife at map" trope to look cool and it just happened to work out for him.

He also understood that Alexia got kidnapped but he let himself got captured and tortured for a week in order to keep up the appearance of a "mob" instead of rushing to help her.

During the battle with the vampire queen Cid should've a least understood that everyone there was under threat of dying (besides himself) from how wounded and beat up they were but still weighed himself down with gold instead of prioritizing everyone's life ("everyone" included his sister and Beta) which made the battle much harder than it should've been and could've killed the bystanders there if the Vampire Queen bothered to target them instead of Cid.

The list of Cid not caring about the lives of people he's close to just goes on and on which is why I don't think his actions change even if he understands the situation. That isn't to say that Cid completely doesn't care if people live or die (he'll help people if it doesn't inconvenience himself) but rather that if he'll always prioritize having fun as a Chuuni over other people.
The other situations were him refusing to break character for their sake. This one was him actively going to meet Rose and acting as Shadow.
Old 2019-05-17, 21:47   Link #114
Log

Quote:
A sociopath wouldn't have made the justifications at all. I'm not saying he isn't detached, just that he doesn't understand the actual scale of basically everything he's involved in.

As for mental illness, there's no support for it. Your extrapolating based off his behavior, except that Cid is a gag character. He acts like he does because that's the joke, there isn't anything medically wrong with him. He misunderstands because the joke is that he misunderstands.

He didn't think they could read the note.
IDK, I guess the issue is that you're treating Cid like a gag character and I'm seriously trying to analyze him.

I do have a feeling that the author is going to eventually treat Cid seriously and give him character development but that's more of a speculation than a argument.

Quote:
He wouldn't have played the situation like he did if he actually cared.
He didn't really play the situation wrong, he talked to Ruslan first to make sure that he was actually a bad guy instead of just misunderstood or some shit before killing him off. The thing that went wrong is that Sherry happened to walk in which the narration doesn't make clear if Cid intended for that or not.

Quote:
The entire thing with Alexa kind puts a hole in that theory. He knows what romance is and he still doesn't notice.
He's "romance" with Alexia started because Cid thought it would be funny to act as a Mob in a RomCom and copied what he knew about "generic mob confessions" from whatever fiction he reads. The keyword here is "act", it's like you can teach a monkey to imitate typing but that doesn't mean it understands the purpose of typing.

Quote:
The other situations were him refusing to break character for their sake. This one was him actively going to meet Rose and acting as Shadow.
It wasn't really breaking character for their sake, he just refused to break character because it wasn't convenient enough and he didn't care enough. For example he could've slipped out of his cell and saved Alexia and came back fast enough where no one would know. This would be especially easy for him after it's revealed in a not yet translated chapter that he has

Spoiler for minor spoiler:
Old 2019-05-18, 01:44   Link #115
XFire
150% done

Quote:
IDK, I guess the issue is that you're treating Cid like a gag character and I'm seriously trying to analyze him.

I do have a feeling that the author is going to eventually treat Cid seriously and give him character development but that's more of a speculation than a argument.
And again, that's basically my sole issue. Cid is a gag character who is written like a gag character, but everything is else is more or less played seriously. If that changes and the author has Shadow Garden realize the truth and confront him or whatever, my complaint goes away.

Quote:
He didn't really play the situation wrong, he talked to Ruslan first to make sure that he was actually a bad guy instead of just misunderstood or some shit before killing him off. The thing that went wrong is that Sherry happened to walk in which the narration doesn't make clear if Cid intended for that or not.
You mentioned yourself Cid kills him the way Ruslan kills Sherry's mom. And Cid could have obliterated him instantly had he so chosen.

Quote:
He's "romance" with Alexia started because Cid thought it would be funny to act as a Mob in a RomCom and copied what he knew about "generic mob confessions" from whatever fiction he reads. The keyword here is "act", it's like you can teach a monkey to imitate typing but that doesn't mean it understands the purpose of typing.
You've moved from "disconnected with reality" to "inhumanly unperceptive". He knows what romance is, and what being in a relationship means. He's not mindlessly following a set path.

Quote:
It wasn't really breaking character for their sake, he just refused to break character because it wasn't convenient enough and he didn't care enough. For example he could've slipped out of his cell and saved Alexia and came back fast enough where no one would know. This would be especially easy for him after it's revealed in a not yet translated chapter that he has

Spoiler for minor spoiler:
He refuses to break character at all, ever, the sole exception I'm aware of being when Delta finds him as John Smith. A mob wouldn't break out, so he didn't.
Old 2019-05-18, 02:47   Link #116
Rimbo99

I want to know is what kind of relationship Alpha and Cid have? It's more like Delta's since she treats him like her brother unlike most of the girls who won't mind to sleep with him.

And then there's the Oriana Kingdom. I do wonder what kind of relationship they had with Diabolos. Could it be Diabolos sleeps within the kingdom?
Old 2019-05-18, 14:50   Link #117
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbo99 View Post
I want to know is what kind of relationship Alpha and Cid have? It's more like Delta's since she treats him like her brother unlike most of the girls who won't mind to sleep with him.

And then there's the Oriana Kingdom. I do wonder what kind of relationship they had with Diabolos. Could it be Diabolos sleeps within the kingdom?
Delta outright stated that she wanted to have baby's with him so their relationship isn't like siblings. For Alpha it's sorta implied that she was also bothered by Cid "dating" Alexia but she isn't as overt about her affections as Beta or Epsilon. In general it's safe to assume that every girl in Shadow Garden loves Cid unless otherwise stated.

For Oriana Kingdom.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2019-06-10, 12:02   Link #118
Rimbo99

This might sound like a plothole but why the cult want Diabolos to get power. The Three Heroes' descendants have tons of power through sheer hardwork and dedication. Why do they need to persecute them.
Old 2019-06-15, 10:58   Link #119
recuero002

kage no jitsuryoku ha ni naritakute

people will leave the cover of volume 3 XD are john smith (sid) and yukime
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by LKK; 2019-06-15 at 11:08. Reason: Added images tag
recuero002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 20:59   Link #120
Tyrhunger
The First and the Last

Maaaann..., i love this kind of art. It's especially funny because the art is so serious in a gag LN.
Tyrhunger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark organization, dense mc, harem, power in the shadows