AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2021-10-10, 15:02   Link #101
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

For some reason, I am not surprised by the spoilers. Not one bit.

Saw that coming. It wasn't obviously clear, but I was expecting. Can't say I am 'glad' my expectations were somewhat matched, but you get the point.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 16:17   Link #102
magnuskn

Yeah, the end of the TV show kinda foreshadowed it, IIRC.
Old 2021-10-10, 20:46   Link #103
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
For some reason, I am not surprised by the spoilers. Not one bit.

Saw that coming. It wasn't obviously clear, but I was expecting. Can't say I am 'glad' my expectations were somewhat matched, but you get the point.

- Tak
Ironically, based on other Macross forums, and Twitter outside of Japan, the ones who are the most annoyed by the film are Western fans, if only because of the SDF-1 stuff included. And, of course, the Frontier short not really adding anything to beyond the final film. However, Japanese fans, or a majority of them, don't even care about those elements. It's a firm reminder of how Western fans believe lore is sacred and continuously question what becomes of something until they get an answer and don't like said answer. Fun times.

This only proves why Sword Art Online always gets new seasons and movies despite how Western fans don't like it. Delta is also proof. If it's popular in Japan, that's all they care about, lore be damned.

And yes, I do mean how Western Macross fans are pissed about
Spoiler for Megaroad-01 & SDF-1 stuff:

_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingdot View Post
My laptops broken so I guess I couldn't look thorough enough but

Spoiler for WHAT:

Thanks for telling me!
Spoiler for Don't know if anything I typed is a spoiler but I'll be careful in case of mods.:

You're welcome though.

Last edited by HirouKeimou; 2021-10-10 at 20:55. Reason: To answer the other quote.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-11, 07:41   Link #104
charles883

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
Ironically, based on other Macross forums, and Twitter outside of Japan, the ones who are the most annoyed by the film are Western fans, if only because of the SDF-1 stuff included. And, of course, the Frontier short not really adding anything to beyond the final film. However, Japanese fans, or a majority of them, don't even care about those elements. It's a firm reminder of how Western fans believe lore is sacred and continuously question what becomes of something until they get an answer and don't like said answer. Fun times.

This only proves why Sword Art Online always gets new seasons and movies despite how Western fans don't like it. Delta is also proof. If it's popular in Japan, that's all they care about, lore be damned.

And yes, I do mean how Western Macross fans are pissed about
Spoiler for Megaroad-01 & SDF-1 stuff:

_

Spoiler for Don't know if anything I typed is a spoiler but I'll be careful in case of mods.:

You're welcome though.
Err the Delta movie 2 DID not vilify Megaroad for several reason.

Spoiler for Movie spoiler:
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-11, 09:32   Link #105
HirouKeimou

@charless883: I said supposedly did.
Spoiler for Megaroad-01 & N.U.N.S.:

Also, I'm throwing literally all of my response behind spoiler tags to be on the safe side in case mods consider something I said a spoiler.
Old 2021-10-11, 10:20   Link #106
charles883

Like I say Lady M are not viillain as so far Lady M action helping heroes and all those conspiracy theory on Lady M stealing Star singer DNA are false and already revealed and debunked in Delta Movie 2.

Did you actually think Lady M is villain?
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-11, 11:33   Link #107
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
I It's a firm reminder of how Western fans believe lore is sacred and continuously question what becomes of something until they get an answer and don't like said answer. Fun times.
This was pretty obvious when Macross evolved from SDF to PLUS, while completely sidelining Macross II in the process. The retcon witnessed in subsequent series should have been plain as day that Macross adheres to big plot-ideas, but beyond that? Meh...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2021-10-11, 12:04   Link #108
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post
Like I say Lady M are not viillain as so far Lady M action helping heroes and all those conspiracy theory on Lady M stealing Star singer DNA are false and already revealed and debunked in Delta Movie 2.

I feel like you've lost a lot of my previous reply in translation so I'm not even gonna touch this.
Old 2021-10-11, 15:13   Link #109
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post

Would it be so difficult for you to reserve judgement regarding a specific plot or character until after actually watching the movie?

- Tak

Old 2021-10-18, 11:12   Link #110
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

*brought back from the depths of IRL*
HAHAHAHAHAHA YES
Love you all, except the people who made me leave this fandom. Ssssuck it, lol. Cheers~
Old 2021-10-18, 15:34   Link #111
magnuskn

Hey, Matts. Stay around, Tak's group is getting a bit lonely some days.
Old 2021-10-21, 05:46   Link #112
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Hey, Matts. Stay around, Tak's group is getting a bit lonely some days.
Ngl, I missed you guys. I just don't feel like the fandom is all that good to be in anymore. Imagine being a guy on twitter going after fanartists who sell their art at conventions because "they didn't give copyright funds" to Kawamori. Oh and, you know, doesn't like Delta = Trump supporter???
I've also gotten pretty critical of the Kawa in the last 2 years, especially after the first Delta movie. I read here that it wasn't as bad as the show. Only got the energy toether in 2020 to watch. I disagree. It was just as bad, but for different reasons. The 2 positives were 1. Hayate wasn't the stalking creep as portrayed in the novels and by extension the TV series 2. they removed the "let's feel bad for the space nazis" bit and kind of centered that around Roid being space führer and that was it.
Delta1 ends on a spectacular scale of just recycling old ideas, Mikumo singing Ai Oboete Imasu Ka and Freyja doing a daring leap of faith was just the Frontier TV ending again, which also had similarities mostly with Zero. And other stuff Kawamori wrote. He just keeps writing the same story, basically.
Oh and, Freyja is a weird amalgam of Ranka and Sheryl, but someone else pointed it out to me that she was more Sheryland Mirage was more Ranka, so AruaRan shippers who use HayaFre as comfort: lol.

I don't want to be too off topic, but my thoughts on D1/Kawaretrospective provide a much needed context for D2. I know I have like 3 people if not more blocked, and like. I blocked you for a reason. I won't see your response, because, get this, I don't care. And I'm allowed to. So are you. Don't get personal and I won't do the same with you. I'm not looking to pick bones with the mods, but it is hard to not get miffed when some random person gets overly personal despite a block meaning you are very clearly setting boundaries and they are crossing those. These exist on AS for a reason, and that's a good thing. So:
Spoiler:
Old 2021-10-21, 10:51   Link #113
magnuskn

Gee, I wonder who that guy on Twitter might be. ^^

And, yeah, I also am skeptical of Kawamori nowadays. I'll elaborate a bit in the group, here it would be off-topic.
Old 2021-10-21, 12:02   Link #114
Tak

Kawamori is very much like George Lucas, they both have incredible talent in creativity, but some of their ideas can get... err... peculiar.

On the other hand, the Yoko Kanno + Macross combo had always been superb. May'n's vocals also overshadowed pretty much everyone else who came after. He should try a collaboration with Hiroyuki Sawano next.

- Tak

Old 2021-10-21, 12:44   Link #115
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Quote:
Kawamori is very much like George Lucas, they both have incredible talent in creativity, but some of their ideas can get... err... peculiar.
I can do a rundown of how many times the Shouji who is Kawa has recycled the same story, I'm on a roll anyway. At least Lucas has ideas. Kawa has the same idea, a lot of the time.
One of my initial reactions to D2 was as follows:
"It could be worse. He could have spirited the entirity of Walküre away into a timeless void like the girls in 0048. ....... Like he did with Sara and Shin. Oh Shi-"

Edit: For the record, I'm really just taking the most I can from this series. In this case it's making fun of it. I know that because of the Harmony Gold stuff, there are people in the fandom who take any and all discussion way waaaay more serious than normal, I get that. But nothing we do will change the perspective of whoever is handling HG, and nothing excuses bad writing. Something Delta is a prime example of. Nothing will save an entry in a franchise from criticism. And nothing should.

Last edited by Matts; 2021-10-21 at 12:57.
Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 15:07   Link #116
magnuskn

Actually HG and the Japanese rights holders seem to have come to a settlement some time ago (see the Macross Legalities thread), so we are kinda waiting if we'll finally get officially licensed Macross Frontier with real subs (and I mean the TV series, I know the movies already had subs).
Old 2021-10-21, 15:29   Link #117
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Actually HG and the Japanese rights holders seem to have come to a settlement some time ago (see the Macross Legalities thread), so we are kinda waiting if we'll finally get officially licensed Macross Frontier with real subs (and I mean the TV series, I know the movies already had subs).
As someone who owns the original Japanese release of the Macross Frontier movies on Blu-ray, I can confirm the original release did not have English subtitles on the disc. And I don't believe that changed for the 30th anniversary release later on.

As far as I know, Delta is the only Macross since Plus which has received official English subtitles. But it's still Japan-only.

Edit: FYI, whenever I wanna watch Frontier or its movies, I literally have to download a torrent or stream it on a platform for subs despite owning the original Japanese boxset and movie discs. I don't have that issue with Delta. If only they had done that while Frontier was airing...
Old 2021-10-22, 00:24   Link #118
magnuskn

Oh, okay. Someone had planted the idea that the Frontier movies had subs in my mind years ago, I guess. In any case, let's hope both TV series and movies are re-released worldwide and subs are added.
Old 2021-10-22, 09:51   Link #119
Tak

Macross Frontier 30th Anniversary Movie Box set:

https://www.macrossworld.com/macross...ish-subtitles/

You can still get it: https://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/det...e=GAME-0010432

製品仕様

映像Blu-ray Disc + PS3専用ソフト
英語字幕(劇場本編のみ)

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2021-10-22 at 10:05.
Old 2021-10-22, 10:24   Link #120
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Macross Frontier 30th Anniversary Movie Box set:

https://www.macrossworld.com/macross...ish-subtitles/

You can still get it: https://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/det...e=GAME-0010432

製品仕様

映像Blu-ray Disc + PS3専用ソフト
英語字幕(劇場本編のみ)

- Tak
So the 30th anniversary did have the English subtitles. Alright then.

Sadly, it was limited press only so as far as I can tell, it's not available on any retailer for sale, and the one I did find only ships in Japan. Also, if CD Japan is correct on this, the original price was $147. And I don't wanna think about how inflated it is due to the limited print. I paid roughly $260 for the TV boxset special years back and it had more content added than this. And since I already own the movies on Blu-ray, it seems insane to simply buy another set just for retouched footage and English subtitles. The price itself is a turn off.