AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-23, 07:45   Link #101
Echizen777

Yes. Tatsuya himself relies heavily on martial arts since he is weak at magic and of course they combine it with magic. The Chiba clan is a clan of magic swordsmen and Erika's second brother is among the top 10 martial artists in the world. The only strong GAA magician who fought so far is Lu Gonghu, a martial artist who is in the top 10 just like Naotsugu.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 07:48   Link #102
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ah, at least martial arts, a trademark of Chinese combat, isn't forgotten.
Meanwhile, I hope that they actually show the advantages of Ancient Magic against high-level Modern Magic.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:53   Link #103
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Ah, at least martial arts, a trademark of Chinese combat, isn't forgotten.
Meanwhile, I hope that they actually show the advantages of Ancient Magic against high-level Modern Magic.
They already showed it with Mikihiko,since vol 3 and better presented in the Visitor's arc
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:57   Link #104
Chris38

^ I think that you will end up being disappointed since Ancient Magic users don't have a lot of advantages against Modern Magic.

Sure ... it is a more specialized type of magic and is slightly more powerful compared to the modern one ...

There is also the fact that some of the things that you can do with Ancient Magic, which can't be replicated using Modern Magic.

But, despite all of that advantages Ancient Magic has one quite significant weakness ... it takes a considerably longer time to cast Ancient Magic spells compared to Modern Magic spells ... so it's users would only have the advantage if they used some ambush / guerrilla tactics ... since in a open 'purely magical' fight they would lose against a typical modern magician, simply because of the fact that they are slower to execute their spells...

So, generally speaking:

Ancient Magic -> more specialized and powerful, but at the cost of being slower to execute.

Modern Magic -> less powerful and specialized, but a lot faster to cast compared to Ancient Magic.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:58   Link #105
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Like I said, I breezed through the entire novels because I don't really want to pick this up for good.
After reading that commentary of yours, I don't even see the point of responding to your questions. Everything you asked so far is easily understood just by reading the first 4 volumes.

And yes, it was already shown the advantages of Anciant Magic over Modern Magic. And asking if martial artists exist in Mahouka is like asking if Magicians exist in Mahouka.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 09:09   Link #106
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
After reading that commentary of yours, I don't even see the point of responding to your questions. Everything you asked so far is easily understood just by reading the first 4 volumes.
This is what I was frustrated about.

I can't talk about Mahouka just because I haven't read the light novels properly.
If I read the light novels, then it defeats the purpose of posting my frustrations about the series since I don't like the story.
If I don't read the light novels, I will be frustrated because no one will take me seriously no matter how I try to voice out my problems with the series and this inability to speak my mind will frustrate me even further.

You know what I mean?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2014-05-23, 09:14   Link #107
zerozeronine

Quote:

I can't talk about Mahouka just because I haven't read the light novels properly.
If I read the light novels, then it defeats the purpose of posting my frustrations about the series since I don't like the story.
If I don't read the light novels, I will be frustrated because no one will take me seriously no matter how I try to voice out my problems with the series and this inability to speak my mind will frustrate me even further.

You know what I mean?
The problem is without reading the novels you won't properly understand the story,and sometimes you'll misunderstand something that you will complain about later here,but wouldn't have to if you read it properly.Like you are complaining about Tatsuya's character but you barely know him,and he isn't the typical shonen hero that you know what makes him tick by glossing some parts form the LN's or reading some spoilers.The anime barely touched what kind of character he is.
Old 2014-05-23, 09:23   Link #108
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:

You know what I mean?
No, I don't. What frustrations would you post about if you did not even read the novel? I can't even believe in my eyes when I read the bold part of your post. How in the hell would you dislike the story and even have complains since you did not read it?
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 09:29   Link #109
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Unless you don't count a quick read of the entire series as reading the light novels, then I have actually read the light novels.
I needed to do it because you guys are pushing me to do so because you don't believe in my arguments.
I already heard about Mahouka and watched some anime footage. Yep, it confirms that I don't like Tatsuya.

It's like in Oreimo, really. People ask me to read on because they don't believe that I've understood the series well (when in fact I simply just don't share their sentiments of the series), even if I've already stated my problems with the story.

Old 2014-05-23, 09:38   Link #110
zerozeronine

Quote:
Unless you don't count a quick read of the entire series as reading the light novels, then I have actually read the light novels.
I needed to do it because you guys are pushing me to do so because you don't believe in my arguments.
I already heard about Mahouka and watched some anime footage. Yep, it confirms that I don't like Tatsuya.

It's like in Oreimo, really. People ask me to read on because they don't believe that I've understood the series well (when in fact I simply just don't share their sentiments of the series), even if I've already stated my problems with the story.
Uh-mm,shouldn't you be more interested in posting about what you like/dislike from a series that you actually want to read/watch,and not on a series you are forced to read/watch so that you can argue about it?

You said that Hei is a more awesome character than Tatsuya but they basically share the same characteristics,so where is this Tatsuya hate coming from?
Old 2014-05-23, 09:47   Link #111
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Hei actually loses someone.

Old 2014-05-23, 09:57   Link #112
Echizen777

Tatsuya lost someone dear to him too.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 10:01   Link #113
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I call bullshit unless that someone dear's name is Miyuki.

Old 2014-05-23, 10:40   Link #114
zerozeronine

Quote:
I call bullshit unless that someone dear's name is Miyuki.
And that's what I meant,you barely read the novels and forcing your opinions like this.He did lose someone,someone who treated him like family,when no one did (even Miyuki),someone who acted like a big sister and mother in one,someone he shed tears for.Too much spoilers?
Old 2014-05-23, 10:59   Link #115
CatRules
Shipper

Guys, it's off-topic right? You should delete your off-topic post before mod get here, okay.

by the way, is Ninjustu also an Ancient Magic Martial Art?
Old 2014-05-23, 12:09   Link #116
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
by the way, is Ninjustu also an Ancient Magic Martial Art?
Ninjutsu's Ancient Magic, but Yakumo's obviously a practitioner of martial arts as well. Not sure where you're getting "Ancient Magic Martial Art" from.

@zerozeronine That's in Volume 8, a wee bit far for brief perusal.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 12:18   Link #117
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
Ninjutsu's Ancient Magic, but Yakumo's obviously a practitioner of martial arts as well. Not sure where you're getting "Ancient Magic Martial Art" from.

@zerozeronine That's in Volume 8, a wee bit far for brief perusal.
I did finished reading vols 3-12 in a weekend

But isn't Ninjutsu something like mixing Ancient Magic with physical skills?
Old 2014-05-23, 13:23   Link #118
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
I did finished reading vols 3-12 in a weekend

But isn't Ninjutsu something like mixing Ancient Magic with physical skills?
No, Ninjutsu is Ninjutsu. Ancient Magic is a category, not the actual magic. Those wisps Yakumo conjured up with a hand seal for Miyuki to swat at is an example of Ninjutsu. When Tatsuya's magic is being referred to as having traces of Ancient Magic, they're talking about how he manipulates his Psions.

Basically, the way you are referring to Ninjutsu as "mixing Ancient Magic with physical skills" would be like saying "plants are small trees."
Old 2014-05-23, 13:41   Link #119
Ultragunner

From Volume 1, Chapter 2

Spoiler for :

At least, it is said that, despite still shrouded in mysteries, Ninjustu does involve some sort of Magic in the sense of Mahouka, and it's....old so "Ancient Magic" is not far-fetched to refer to Ninjustu
Old 2014-05-23, 14:02   Link #120
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
From Volume 1, Chapter 2

Spoiler for :

So it is debatable that Ninjustu is "Ancient Magic" or not. At least, it is said that, despite still shrouded in mysteries, Ninjustu does involve some sort of Magic in the sense of Mahouka
The debate there is not relating to whether Ninjutsu is a type of Ancient Magic or not. The topic is about whether Ancient Magic actually did what was advertised or if it tricked people into thinking it happened using alternative means. Using illusory magic to pretend you are shapeshifting is still using magic.

Edit: Debate is a poor choice of word there actually. Sorry! Your word stuck with me there for some odd reason. I meant to use topic, changed it.

Last edited by Rava; 2014-05-23 at 14:26.