Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-26, 17:27   Link #101
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubo
Do they have the license? Not yet of course. If they did, they would have announced it already.
Geneon tends to announce stuff on their own schedule. Just because they may have licensed something doesn't mean they announce it right away.

ADV, on the other hand, tends to announce stuff very quickly. Sometimes too quickly.
Old 2004-04-26, 18:21   Link #102
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai_wolf
Geneon tends to announce stuff on their own schedule. Just because they may have licensed something doesn't mean they announce it right away.

ADV, on the other hand, tends to announce stuff very quickly. Sometimes too quickly.
actually its depend.Sometime company do and sometime they don't.FF:U was announce and have street date a few month after that.FUNI announce kodocha
and it will release one year later.Funi announce Spiral this week and it will release in November.Geneon announce ikk tousen last year but we now just learn the street date.

So what this all mean?It mean that announce can be make anytime when the company feels like it.
Old 2004-04-26, 21:28   Link #103
bayoab

Quote:
Until a foreign licensee fronts enough money to have a controlling interest in the anime comittee, there's no guanratee that it will get the license. However, since Japanese are really more into relationships than money, it's likely that the 9 out of 10 times the licensee committee member will get the license.
No, the foreign licensor can go: "We will pay $XXXk to fund the creation of this anime, we will be given distribution rights in R1."

Also, the anime companies are approaching the US companies for money to create the series.
Quote:
Avex Mode and Geneon USA probably paid some money to get their name on it, but I don't know if its very significant. Typically music houses like Sony and Avex won't put much into an anime; all they really want was the control and distribution of the OP/ED/OST. If Avex's involved you can bet there's going to be a LOT of music promotion behind TenTen.
Avex mode puts money into a series so that they exclusively get their artists music in there. People buying singles and soundtracks is how they make their money back. And japanese cd's are filled with anti-copy protection.
Quote:
What's Geneon's stake? I don't really know.. my guess was that it was't that much (they're not exactly rich). Do they have the license? Not yet of course. If they did, they would have announced it already
No, we can say shit about the license status. Pioneer had Texhonlyze back at the TIAF. (Texhnolyze had henry goto listed with PEA for those who dont remember). It was listed as a property on the TIAF site. However, upon questioning at animeboston last year, they "could not comment at this time". The lack of a comment means absolutly nothing. ADV sits on their licenses. They have 10 or 20 of them that they save up for conventions. Most (not all) of the companies do this. There are a couple that announce as soon as they are sure that they have it.

Last edited by bayoab; 2004-04-26 at 21:31. Reason: God, i cant spell
Old 2004-04-27, 14:23   Link #104
Seiryuu

Sorry. I didn't see GHDpro's comment, must have slipped past it by accident. Anyway, I haven't been meaning to ask "Why isn't this on Animesuki?", I've been trying to ask why this isn't listed in EITHER place. If Animesuki admins have decreed that this series is LICENSED, then please list it on the license list, so a quick look will tell us the position everyone takes. That's all I meant to ask here. An anime is either licensed or not, and if not, then it's acceptable for fansub here(barring content). Thus, I just wanted to see the show noted either as one or the other on the site. I will agree that it's difficult to tell sometimes. ADV shouts out their new claims from the rooftops almost immediately after the papers are signed. Viz waits until they're certain a series is worth selling, and until they're close to actually distributing it, before saying anything. Geneon is a little between. Many series are probably licensed that we don't know about. Like Naruto. That one is almost definitely licensed, unless there's a vicious bid-war going on. But we'll know soon enough.
BTW, why's Sounanda up at animesuki? Isn't it also Geneon?
Old 2004-04-27, 14:44   Link #105
outlaw55
Banned

I think this whole thing is stupid...while we are at it, let's mark all the REST of the shows on animesuki licensed and close it down....hell, if ten ten is "going to get licensed", so what? So are like 90% of the show probably, but they dont' stop sharing them? Just cuz we know a name of a sponser means NOTHING. OH NO, HUGGIES DIAPERS OWNS THE RIGHTS TO NARUTO!!!!! LETS ALL MARK IT AS LICENSED!!!! >.>....
Old 2004-04-27, 14:49   Link #106
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

This is a slippery slope argument. Why not just continue listing bts the way you've always been doing it and change your rules when you need to (e.g. When Geneon threatens you).
Old 2004-04-27, 14:51   Link #107
abubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
No, the foreign licensor can go: "We will pay $XXXk to fund the creation of this anime, we will be given distribution rights in R1."

Also, the anime companies are approaching the US companies for money to create the series.
It's likely that they had some deal already, but I don't know if they are the majority stakeholder.

I'm not sure what you mean by anime companies; you mean animation houses? I suppose so for their original series. The anime committee may seek outside funding if they can't find enough sponsor to join their commitee, but that is a case to case basis. I can see this happening for some series which are not that hot in Japan but has potential overseas, but most of the super-hot properties, the publisher and other domestic entities get first dibs (unless the mangaka has the money to fund it all, of course).

People in the US tend to be very anime-centric; they tend to forget that in Japan manga drives anime, and the animation houses like GAINAX and GONZO are most of the time contractors with some creative input. Most of the time they just write the scripts according to the wishes of the anime committee, unless they own the propery or the chair of a specific anime committee. The anime committee is usually creatively (and financially) dominated by the publisher and the mangaka.

TenTen for example: Madhouse is the animation house, but their name isn't on the copyright line, and there's no committee per se. Chances are this is pure contracting gig for them with no financial stake on their end.

Quote:
Avex mode puts money into a series so that they exclusively get their artists music in there. People buying singles and soundtracks is how they make their money back. And japanese cd's are filled with anti-copy protection.
Right, they do that. Thus the control and distribution of OP/ED/OST. AVEX had one of their hottest rapper, m.c.A.T, doing the OP; that's a LOT of committment for an anime.

Upon further review of the OP sequence I found something interesting; the stake Avex Mode (OST arm of the Avex Trax empire) and Geneon maybe bigger than I thought. The executive producer for TenTen is a dude from Avex. Another guy from Geneon was listed as Producer as well. You usually get your name listed as producers when you're the fat cat of the committee. This is telling me that this either this project was originated/pushed by Avex/Geneon, or they had put a lot of money in the anime. Or they may simply put the money so their names can be listed there.

I'm thinking AVEX is probably principle driving force behind TenTen, thinking that the setting and story for the anime could drive CD sales, and Geneon believe the anime would definately sale in the US. They got the money together and persuaded Oh! Great and Suiensha to do the anime, but may not put enough money there to have the majority stake. Publishers and mangaka usually like keeping the majority stake for an anime to control creative integrity; the publisher doesn't want the anime to differ from their manga too much, and the mangaka wanted to minimize pollution from outsiders to his baby.

And I think you all knows this: CD copy protection is easily breakable. People in Japan as well in the US do it all the time. How do you think we get those OP/ED torrents so quickly?

Last edited by abubo; 2004-04-27 at 15:05.
Old 2004-04-27, 15:03   Link #108
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
Sorry. I didn't see GHDpro's comment, must have slipped past it by accident. Anyway, I haven't been meaning to ask "Why isn't this on Animesuki?", I've been trying to ask why this isn't listed in EITHER place. If Animesuki admins have decreed that this series is LICENSED, then please list it on the license list, so a quick look will tell us the position everyone takes.
Quite true. We're currently in the middle of updating the license database for improved functionality. It is listed in the new database, so you won't have to wonder about these things once it is up and functional.

Quote:
BTW, why's Sounanda up at animesuki? Isn't it also Geneon?
It doesn't say Geneon USA in the credits. We don't mark all Geneon productions as licensed, just the ones that Geneon USA is involved with.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-27, 15:09   Link #109
abubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It doesn't say Geneon USA in the credits. We don't mark all Geneon productions as licensed, just the ones that Geneon USA is involved with.
I don't really have a stand on this issue so don't get me wrong, but Geneon USA is on the copyright line. I wonder what you meant by credit? I need to double check but I'm pretty sure Geneon USA is listed in the OP.

You can clearly see Geneon USA in this page:

http://avexmode.jp/animation/tenten/index.html

"(C)大暮維人・集英社/avex・GENEON USA"
Old 2004-04-27, 15:39   Link #110
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
I don't really have a stand on this issue so don't get me wrong, but Geneon USA is on the copyright line. I wonder what you meant by credit? I need to double check but I'm pretty sure Geneon USA is listed in the OP.

"(C)大暮維人・集英社/avex・GENEON USA"
interesting....well doesnt matter to me, the show is HORRIBLE....if they want to waste their money on such a bad show then more power to em'....
Old 2004-04-27, 15:46   Link #111
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:

"(C)‘å•éˆÛ?l?E?W‰pŽÐ?^avex?EGENEON USA"
That page is Tenjou Tenge. It certainly does have Geneon USA in the credits. I was responding to a question about Sounanda.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-27, 18:09   Link #112
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I wish Geneon USA would pick up all the Rondo Robe shows. Then I'd have my own DVD of Piano.
Closed Thread