AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-03-10, 03:37   Link #101
Abysmalheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchdog View Post
Isn't this good news? I think a lot of you are being very self-centered here. I guess in an ideal world this would have been announced after the translation of the next arc was finished but one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
This way you'll actually get to support the author in a relevant way and Mahouka will be introduced to a wider audience. I don't actually own any Light novels, and in terms of manga I only have 4 volumes of Dragonball that I bought as a kid but I'll at least buy these as they come out.
There are pros and cons in everything I see you aren't looking at the bigger picture here.
Abysmalheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 03:54   Link #102
Clutchdog

@IceHism
Hah, that's pretty cool. Still, I guess most people would want to be able to read the novels before committing to buy them, myself included. But I think it's great that you supported the author nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^ I agree, but I also get why so many people are (somewhat) upset.

The reason is that when something (especially LN) get licensed in the West, they will start with Vol 1, and it will take a long @ss time to catch up to the recent content. That means everyone around here will have to make do with short spoilers and summaries in the years to come.

If there were a model for LN to get licensed and translated quickly, (something similar to what Crunchyroll is doing with anime and manga perhaps), then I'll gladly give the publisher my money
Sure, but you should take into account that they aren't really selling the series to established Mahouka fans that have read up until the latest volume online. It'd be odd if you went into a bookstore and started reading The song of ice and fire from book 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmalheart View Post
There are pros and cons in everything I see you aren't looking at the bigger picture here.
So what's the bigger picture?
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:02   Link #103
TheLaG

Quote:
We will get professional translation, and Mahouka is one of those novels, where it need's good one, yes, BT translators do a great job, but it's still guys with limited knowledge in language/terms, but professionals will do much better job with all magic explanation @ least I hope so
TheLaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:04   Link #104
Rava

Quote:
The whole point of fansubs/translations was to show that there IS a market for the product outside of Japan. It's a purpose that's completely lost on people who are used to getting things "free" because of how accessible the internet is. Couple that with the sense of entitlement people put on a product that they are not even paying for, and yeah, I don't think he's wrong there.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:29   Link #105
Abysmalheart

Quote:

well I am not fully aware of all the reasons but so far I thought of these.

PROS
1)We support the author(though I don't know how the whole licensing thing works)
2)We read a better translation than the half done translation in the first few volumes(well this is after I read some reports on how bad the translation was on the early vol's).
3)Reading from a hard cover book better on the eyes than reading the e book.
4)Economic reasons(investment,demand etc)
5)More ppl will come top realise how good the story is and not just decide it based on the anime.

CONS
1)English readers are behind the authors work.
2)Restriction will be placed cuz some publishers are arse(eg pic will be removed from sites showing/discussing spoilers etc).
3)Other than ppl in US some may have a hard time obtaining the book cuz shipment through 3rd party(amazon) etc

Again I state these are the things I thought of for now I know there are more so feel free to think of them.
The greatest CON is the fact those who have already caught up with the author's work thanks to translators are gonna have to settle for spoilers and short summary till the publisher catches up and there are more ppl who have caught up with the author than those who haven't so it's not a perfect outcome of yen press licensing and that too with the most anticipated yotsuba inheritance this summer.Can you hear the cries of ppl that they have to wait for years or so till vol 16 is out in English legally ?

Last edited by Abysmalheart; 2015-03-10 at 04:32. Reason: editing
Old 2015-03-10, 04:32   Link #106
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaG View Post
We will get professional translation, and Mahouka is one of those novels, where it need's good one, yes, BT translators do a great job, but it's still guys with limited knowledge in language/terms, but professionals will do much better job with all magic explanation @ least I hope so
I haven't read a "professional translation" of a light novels, but based upon past experience doing my own translation of anime, professional translators have been known to take liberties with original material in a way that subtly (or not so subtly) changed meanings, or altered context. Professionals might be more fluent at translation, but they aren't always right.

Due the vagaries of publishing and contracts, if you want to support the original author, buy the original book and then find translations if you can (or do it yourself). If you want to support English-language licensing of light novels (or manga), then by all means buy it when it is printed domestically.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:35   Link #107
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
The greatest CON is the fact those who have already caught up with the author's work thanks to translators are gonna have to settle for spoilers and short summary till the publisher catches up and there are more ppl who have caught up with the author than those who haven't so it's not a perfect outcome of yen press licensing and that too with the most anticipated yotsuba inheritance this summer.Can you hear the cries of ppl that they have to wait for years or so till vol 16 is out in English legally ?
At this point, for anyone (well, the majority of the complaints), this would be the biggest reason.

However, till this point, the readers have been the one being driven about. The next question is, do they stand pat until v16 comes out, or do they take matters into their own hands? Be the one being moved, or be the one moving?

That's the main issue I have with a lot of the complaints: because they are the ones making the most noise when they did the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
I've read a "professional translation" of any light novels, but based upon past experience doing my own translation of anime, professional translators have been known to take liberties with original material in a way that subtly (or not so subtly) changed meanings, or altered context. Professionals might be more fluent at translation, but they aren't always right.
Well, you're right in that professional translators are more known for taking liberties and such. The idea here is 'to convey the text in a way that the locals can understand', not 'to do a resemblance that a few will only get'. Ultimately, this is the price of the border known as language conventions.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:36   Link #108
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaG View Post
Professional translation doesn't always equate to good translation.

Quote:
Quite right. Who knows how long we have to wait for the offical translation to catch up to the current volume. By then I probably lost interest in this LN

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 04:39   Link #109
Abysmalheart

Quite true Proxy if a professional doctor or chef can give a hazardous medication or food what makes translators different are they perfect beings with no mistakes ?
I think the question should be will Yen press make a good publication of mahouka compared to the translators work ?
Old 2015-03-10, 04:47   Link #110
ProxyAccount

Fan-translation often aims towards the literal translation done with some refinement if there's time (and volunteers). Presumably, a domestic licensee will make a reasonable commitment to technical accuracy and readability.

Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice some fluency in order to get accuracy. I can always sort out grammatical issues given a less-than-fluent rendering, but I probably can't determine what the correct term is if the technical translation is botched because the kanji/hiragana/katakana isn't there.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 05:57   Link #111
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Meh, the wait is actually the least of the problems. My major grip with licenses is that they utterly screw up the work with their localization, removal and "translation" of honorifics, I seriously can't stand that. I would rather buy 10 times the same book, in Japanese, just to support the author than waste my money in those crappy "professionally translated" books.

I read Japanese books precisely because they're Japanese books. If I wanted to read a Western book, I would buy one.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 06:06   Link #112
IceHism

Oh, god. Yen press doesn't use honorifics.

I wonder what they will replace Onii-sama with. Dearest Brother? Exhalted Brother?
Either way, it sounds really weird when you put it in english... ahh language conventions. Can't really do anything about them.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 06:25   Link #113
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post

I wonder what they will replace Onii-sama with. Dearest Brother? Exhalted Brother?
Either way, it sounds really weird when you put it in english... ahh language conventions. Can't really do anything about them.
ugh worst news for me .... better to buy japanese version to support the author ....
Old 2015-03-10, 06:52   Link #114
Ultragunner

oh dear, so even Miyuki's infamous "Onii-sama" will not be featured in the Yen Press' releases? That's gonna make her tone and behaviour towards Tatsuya VASTLY different from the truth
Old 2015-03-10, 07:00   Link #115
Abysmalheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
oh dear, so even Miyuki's infamous "Onii-sama" will not be featured in the Yen Press' releases? That's gonna make her tone and behaviour towards Tatsuya VASTLY different from the truth
If Yen press actually does that many would prefer printing the translators version than buying the book from them.

I wonder if we can ask if they could stick to the honorifics or riot.
Old 2015-03-10, 07:01   Link #116
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post

Miyuki: He shall be called "Divine Brother". The One and Only, O Nii-sama.
O Lord Brother, please guide us to thy sacred path.
Old 2015-03-10, 08:33   Link #117
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Can you answer me the following, which I am sure a lot of would like to know?
What about long winded volume summaries, will they get taken down too?
The long-winded volume summaries will not be taken down.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-10, 08:48   Link #118
Abysmalheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The long-winded volume summaries will not be taken down.
what about illustrations and such ?
Old 2015-03-10, 09:08   Link #119
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Miyuki: He shall be called "Divine Brother". The One and Only, O Nii-sama.
O Lord Brother, please guide us to thy sacred path.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. You guys know Campione? The translator of that LN actually uses words like "Exhalted Sister", "Honourable Uncle",...etc... especially when the characters have their conservation.....hm....I dunno, have never read anything published by Yen Press yet
Old 2015-03-10, 09:27   Link #120
Chris38

Quote:
what about illustrations and such ?
Official illustrations from the LN, won't be tolerated in here, since they are a part of the copyrighted work.

At least that's what I think
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote