AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2020-08-01, 12:29   Link #101
Frontier

I wonder if Echidna is going to comment on Subaru being obviously from a different world. She might actually know how he ended up where he did.
Old 2020-08-01, 15:50   Link #102
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I wonder if Echidna is going to comment on Subaru being obviously from a different world. She might actually know how he ended up where he did.
Also hoping for such a scene in the upcoming episode, I'd like to see Echidna's reaction and opinion.
Old 2020-08-04, 09:16   Link #103
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
In the dream it had only been 3 months, during the first year of high school. But I thought Subaru is 18 years old? So when he was isekai'd, he would have dropped out about 2 years ago...
No you misunderstand. Subaru truancy was only recent, (the 3 months). All his anxiety and depression prior to that was only building up to point he would eventually just quit going to school or interacting with anyone beyond his parents.

Anyway PV for tomorrow's episode!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-05, 10:09   Link #104
Frontier

Subaru saying what we're all thinking about Echidna in a school uniform .

Even if they were drawn from his thoughts and memories about his parents, they were still Subaru's parents and they were still real enough to have given Subaru the peace of mind he needed from seeing them. That could never be fabricated .

I guess there's something to be said for managing to keep surprising a Witch who was known for her greed of knowledge...

Echidna doesn't seem to think Emilia can pass the trial on her own, and even though Subaru passed the first trial Emilia is still stuck trying to pass it herself. Whatever it's making her face seems to be extremely traumatizing, almost like a flashback to something she may not have remembered from her life before her amnesia. It sounded like she was being blamed for something Satella did, but it wasn't very clear. I don't think it could've been anything from Memory Snow. And was she calling for her actual father, or just Puck ?

We seemingly meet that pink-haired elf girl who led Subaru to Echidna, and Ryuzu turns out to be your classic old and wise lady in a loli body. Subaru totally called that one .

I thought Frederica was working under orders from Roswaal, but it's more complicated than that? I guess nothing's ever simple in Re:Zero .

Emilia seems way more conscious of Subaru than she used to be, even latching on to him for comfort. She's quick to deny that there's anything deeper behind it, but her sheer embarrassment and blushing tells another story .

Sorry Garfiel, but I think Ram's spoken for with Roswaal, more or less .

So, yeah, Roswaal basically orchestrated and manipulated everything as a test for Subaru and Emilia. Which is a pretty scummy thing to do, but it seems to have justified whatever inexplciable faith Roswaal had in Subaru. I am kind of curious what it is about Subaru that let Roswaal think he would be so capable of accomplishing all this .

Oof. That Rem namedrop. It's almost even sadder that Subaru mentioned her and Ram has no idea who he's talking about .

Well, I guess Roswaal gave Subaru his way of mending fences with Beatrice, although it sounds like it might be a lot more involved than that .

That moment of dread when you know Subaru is about to die...and he once again returns to the mansion only to find the Witch's Cult and likely everyone dead, as Elsa makes her return. So I guess now he'll have to return back to before she showed up and get back to the mansion sooner, but I have to wonder how far back his save point will be. After he completed the first trial, or before ?

Also gotta appreciate that prominent display of Elsa's cleavage before we even see her face .
Old 2020-08-05, 13:07   Link #105
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

The scene with Echidna however, was quite amusing. Unfortunately, she didn't comment about Subaru's origins.

Whatever Emilia is going through is so traumatic for her that she acts like a scared child...but then puts up a half-baked front to make it look like it's not that bad.

Then there's Roswaal, who apparently plotted in such a way that Subaru and Emilia would have to deal with the Witch Cult, etc. He says it was all to improve Emilia's image...but there's probably more than just that. (Remember than in S1, during the Mansion arc, he mentioned his intent to "kill the dragon".) So he clearly has a secret agenda...

And then there's Ram, who is now even more dedicated to Roswaal than ever. I assume that when Rem was erased from reality, Ram, who relied on Rem for support and looked after her, became entirely devoted to Roswaal to the point she doesn't care what happens to her.

Finally, Subaru arrives to the mansion, only to find it seemingly empty...and then he got his gut cut open by an old aquaintance...Elsa.
I should've guessed things wouldn't be that easy...

What the heck is going on? Why is Elsa there? Why was the mansion so eerily empty and with no signs of conflict?
...Guess we'll have to wait for next week.
Old 2020-08-05, 17:06   Link #106
Wandering Soul

Subaru just can't let go of that sliver haired fetish. He was just saying what we were all thinking though.

So right now one of the problems is that Emilia can't pass her trial. Knowing her past, it could have something to do with an incident that happend thanks to her resemblance to Satella and it was deeply scarring.

To absouletly no one's surprise Roswall isnot trustworthy. What's worst is that Ram is still attached to him, which is espieically bad for Garfiel.

It was clear that Subaru was going to die when he went back to the mansion and Elsa returning wasn't really a surprise to anyone that payed attention to the OP.
Old 2020-08-05, 18:26   Link #107
noktown

Finally he dies, I wonder where the save point is going to be this time ? Again in the carriage with Emilia or inside the barrier ? This season has been pretty slow, hopefully the interesting part begins.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-05, 18:39   Link #108
GDB

I assume it'll be after the first trial, but the question is where.

I'm going to guess somewhere between the end of that first trial he faced and talking to Rosewaal. That conversation just seems like the perfect thing for the author to run Subaru through multiple times, like he did in the Whale arc with Crush and Anastasia or whatever her name is.

And thinking about it, the arc before that he did something similar with his conversations with Rem and Ram. And before that, his conversations with basically everyone he met the first time. So yeah, we'll definitely be getting that conversation again but with a new Subaru angle.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-05, 18:43   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm a bit disappointed Subaru's parents weren't real at all, but Subaru's line to Echidna when she mentioned it was good so I guess I'm okay with it.

Echidna doesn't think Emilia can pass the trials but Subaru has absolute faith in her. Yeah, I'm siding with Echidna on this one (Subaru is obviously completely biased), especially after what Garfiel said. Besides, Subaru got the right to pass the trials for a reason. I expect Emilia will remain the useless damsel in distress once again in this arc.

Didn't Roswaal suspect Subaru of being a spy in the second arc? Was this a test as well? Does he actually know about Return by death? That's the only reason I can think of that would explain why he was certain Subaru would be able to save Emilia. He still had to have faith in him as a person as well of course, because he could have just given up, and in fact pretty much did at some point.

Elsa is finally back, and what better way to make an entrance than to spill Subaru's guts on the floor? I agree his save point will be after the first trial and before his talk with Roswaal. This gives him a few days.
Old 2020-08-05, 21:54   Link #110
Frontier

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to assume the save point will be after the first trial, I'm just wondering what the game plan is here. Get back earlier before Elsa reaches the mansion and prepare for her arrival? Or help Emilia pass the trials so everyone can go back and help out?
Old 2020-08-06, 00:09   Link #111
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to assume the save point will be after the first trial, I'm just wondering what the game plan is here. Get back earlier before Elsa reaches the mansion and prepare for her arrival? Or help Emilia pass the trials so everyone can go back and help out?
Probably the latter. Getting back without the Sanctuary being freed is probably a bad idea. They don't really have anyone, or enough people to fight Elsa. Even with foreknowledge, Subaru isn't taking her in a fight, Otto is just a merchant, Ram is good, but probably not enough to take Elsa. Emillia can't leave until the trials have been passed. I'd say Roswaal could take her if he wasn't injured, which is probably intentional on his part.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 01:48   Link #112
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Probably the latter. Getting back without the Sanctuary being freed is probably a bad idea. They don't really have anyone, or enough people to fight Elsa. Even with foreknowledge, Subaru isn't taking her in a fight, Otto is just a merchant, Ram is good, but probably not enough to take Elsa. Emillia can't leave until the trials have been passed. I'd say Roswaal could take her if he wasn't injured, which is probably intentional on his part.
Beatrice the Library Fairy is as powerful as Roswa guy, but she still allows Elsa to do the slaughter, so she has her own agenda as well. How far Subaru will go back is not up to him, as long he does not have to drink the tea again, I think is fine.

This episode also shows how traumatic Emilia's childhood was. Subaru got over his past quickly, even he remembers every details. Based on the Frozen Bound story line, Emilia was saved by Puck, but her elf clans were gone. When Emilia cried out Puck's name and father, it suggested Emilia had a family when she was young. Somehow, she either does not want to disclose it or she simply seals her memory. The trial forced Emilia to face her past. Her past was probably too bloody(not figuratively) for her to overcome.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 02:08   Link #113
Applehell

White Fox did a fantastic job portraying Emilia's anguish after the trial. Unless you read the Arc 4 viewers have never seen her so distraught and broken. Subaru is he only other character to make such a face & hurts to see her like that. Whatever is going there is far worse than anything Subaru went through in his trial. Kudos to Rie voice acting too.

This whole episode was about intrigue tho, from Frederica's circumstances to Roswaal motives. Then Echidna's own shadiness. She was the one who set the conditions for trial to begin with then she forces Subaru to undergo it? Something is not adding up there is it?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 03:57   Link #114
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Hmm. Indeed, on his own, Subaru doesn't stand much of a chance against Elsa.

So, I think there's two possible scenarios for this...
A) The safest way: Subaru helps Emilia pass the trials and free everyone, then they return to the mansion and deal with Elsa.

or B) The fastest way: Subaru heads to the mansion earlier and meets up with Beatrice before Elsa gets to him. With her help, he should be able to deal with her.

The hint for B was in the talk with Ram before he left the Sanctuary, about telling Beatrice to "ask the question" and how everything will change.
This might actually be a "win condition" for him.

Also, did anyone noticed how all the doors in the mansion were open? I find that very odd. Either Elsa was actively searching for the library/Beatrice or the doors were left open to prevent anyone from entering the library.
Old 2020-08-06, 06:33   Link #115
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Also, did anyone noticed how all the doors in the mansion were open? I find that very odd. Either Elsa was actively searching for the library/Beatrice or the doors were left open to prevent anyone from entering the library.
I noticed it and thought it had to do with Beatrice too. Not sure whether it was Elsa or Frederica who did it.
Old 2020-08-06, 11:23   Link #116
Irenesharda

Great episode, I'll be interesting in Roswaal's schemes and what the question to Beatrice will be? Also where will Subaru resurrect this time? And what about Emilia's past, will we get to see it?

Also, I have this feeling that Subaru is going to have to pass all the trials if he wants to or not.
In fact, I'm not so sure if Subaru hasn't already started the 2nd trial.
I mean, if the first was the face your past, and there are 3 total, what if the 2nd trail is to face your present, and then last your future?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 12:33   Link #117
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Also, I have this feeling that Subaru is going to have to pass all the trials if he wants to or not.
In fact, I'm not so sure if Subaru hasn't already started the 2nd trial.
I mean, if the first was the face your past, and there are 3 total, what if the 2nd trail is to face your present, and then last your future?
He technically can't be in the 2nd trial as he's now dead. We'll have to see at what point he respawns. Will it be before entering the Sanctuary, after entering, after meeting Echidna, or after passing the first trial?
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-06, 16:31   Link #118
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
And Emilia was only really able to marginally hold her own against Elsa, even with Puck. I don't think they can count on Reinhard being in the neighborhood and stopping by to visit his friend Subaru. Maybe Garfiel will be able to make a difference .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
White Fox did a fantastic job portraying Emilia's anguish after the trial. Unless you read the Arc 4 viewers have never seen her so distraught and broken. Subaru is he only other character to make such a face & hurts to see her like that. Whatever is going there is far worse than anything Subaru went through in his trial. Kudos to Rie voice acting too.
It helps that Emilia had a much more depressing and difficult childhood than Subaru did (and Subaru's problems were basically his own fault). I'm just wondering if it was something Emilia actually remembered that she was reliving or part of the past she didn't remember .
Quote:
This whole episode was about intrigue tho, from Frederica's circumstances to Roswaal motives. Then Echidna's own shadiness. She was the one who set the conditions for trial to begin with then she forces Subaru to undergo it? Something is not adding up there is it?
Now that you mention it, was the original plan for Echidna to encounter Emilia instead of Subaru? The crystal seemed to be what transported Subaru to Echidna and it was given to Emilia, but Echidna doesn't seem to think Emilia can actually pass the trials .
Old 2020-08-07, 03:50   Link #119
scififan

Quote:

Now that you mention it, was the original plan for Echidna to encounter Emilia instead of Subaru? The crystal seemed to be what transported Subaru to Echidna and it was given to Emilia, but Echidna doesn't seem to think Emilia can actually pass the trials .
The crystal is given by someone. I fastforwarded the show, so I forgot who. Unless, someone stills working for or seeking Echidna after four hundred years. Subaru sees the shining crystal as a time bomb, even he is unharmed by it. I remember he was chasing the elf girl before he meets Echidna. After the trial, he sees the elf girl again. The elf girl tells Subaru that he should respect her as an elder. Subaru responds by saying it is first time to meet a lolibaba. He might be referring her as Tsukuyomi Komoe or Oyashiro.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-08, 05:21   Link #120
moridin84
Custom User Title

So the standard way this goes is

(1) Subaru goes off on his own and gets killed while figuring stuff out
(2) Subura works together with everyone to solve the arc's problem (getting the insigna, solving the curse, defeating the while whale and getting to the village in time)
(3) Subura tries to defeat the final boss with everyone but they aren't strong enough. Then the the super strong guy he befriended that arc comes in to save the day (Reinhearth, Roswaal, that knight guy).

So far there are three options for who the "super strong guy" is this arc.

(a) The lolibaba
(b) Echidna (if solving all the trials ends up releasing her)
(c) Beatrix (he's already befriended her so I'm not too if she would count)

It's hard to predict anything more than that. The "true end" of an arc in Re:Zero is always hard to predict early on.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote