AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2014-04-01, 09:39   Link #101
Tenzen12

But in case of FMP "misterious black technology" was just normal technology from ten years later...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 09:54   Link #102
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
But in case of FMP "misterious black technology" was just normal technology from ten years later...
And the said “Black Technology” also include the technology of Lambda Driver which can make a mecha do a Kameha-meha and do anything the pilot thinks (such as making a force field out of nothing, like a superhero) . I don’t see real-life physics and engineering can be applied to that.

That aside, I do have my own favorite Valkyrie in all of Macross series, and that would be the VF-17S Nightmare. I just love the stealthy and ninja-like design (for the battroid mode) .
Old 2014-04-01, 09:59   Link #103
Tenzen12

Well twenty or thirty years back same thing would be said about mobile devices being thirty times more advenced than strongest super computer. But you are mixing meta reasons with story ones anyway.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:13   Link #104
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Well twenty or thirty years back same thing would be said about mobile devices being thirty times more advenced than strongest super computer.
Obviously, advanced mobile devices is helluva different compared to giant humanoid mecha doing a kameha-meha (even on principle). There’s no comparison really .

Quote:
But you are mixing meta reasons with story ones anyway.
No, I’m not. I took Kalinin’s comment because what he said is a meta-commentary based on real science which all of us (should) know all along. In other words, he’s just addressing the elephant in the room.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:14   Link #105
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
I think char shines the most in CCA , that ending is just fucking legendary/unique crazy mystique shit and his political talk , you can see that Ithekro sig stole his style haha (i loved 2199 remake , dont bully me)
I hated Char in CCA, and in my opinion, his character in CCA had been disfigured. In ZETA, Char proved that he had ideals and on his way to achieve them while putting aside his more petty personal matters. In CCA, he threw away everything for the want of a nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
No, I’m not. I took Kalinin’s comment because what he said is a meta-commentary based on real science which all of us (should) know all along. In other words, he’s just addressing the elephant in the room.
No kidding. Unless we have advanced nano-technology, the ability to engineer artificial muscle and the ability to actually control gravity, a real-robot as a combat unit with today's science and the science of the foreseeable future would be pretty darn useless. Don't know what holds in the far future, though.

Of course, the Terminator infiltration unit is a whole different story...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2014-04-01 at 10:41.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:25   Link #106
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
I am not open to a female ace protagonist. Mecha series in general do not bode well in me with females ace pilots.
Always gotta try try again. I don't know why you have a problem with that, but it would be a nice change of pace for the series' franchise.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:28   Link #107
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
I didnt saw Zeta (yet)
My brother only saw that , he enjoyed it , unfortunetly i can't compare then.

But CCA is one of my favorite sci fi movies ever , i was blown away by his speech , his strenght , and most of all his intelligence/strategies.

Amuro not bad too

For the female pilot , that would be great but i dont think our forums will change something

It would be new if the pilot is a girl and the guys are singer, rockstars whenever.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:34   Link #108
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Or keep the female idols but have a female ace pilot and pull off a relationship Lagrange attempted to do!
Old 2014-04-01, 10:36   Link #109
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Rather than story per se, with the exception of Macross 7 which I will despise the day I die,
Worth noting that Macross 7 is the longest Macross TV series yet, and immensely popular with the home audience. I don't know why either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
I didnt saw Zeta (yet)
My brother only saw that , he enjoyed it , unfortunetly i can't compare then.

But CCA is one of my favorite sci fi movies ever , i was blown away by his speech , his strenght , and most of all his intelligence/strategies.

Amuro not bad too
I have to aodmit the actions were good, and the quality of production was high, especially for something in the 80s. Unfortunately, the characterization of Char in CCA rendered him an immature blood-knight.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:37   Link #110
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Obviously, advanced mobile devices is helluva different compared to giant humanoid mecha doing a kameha-meha (even on principle). There’s no comparison really .
You can say that just cause mobile phone are normal for you, but such thing was as much unthinkable in age of vacum tubes as mecha for us.

Quote:
No it was commentary based on real science THEY knew all along and it was important plot point as it was based on science he COULDN'T KNOW YET as it was from future.
Old 2014-04-01, 10:44   Link #111
Gundam8

I'm replying to another post actually humans outnumber zentradi after fist space war it 4 billion human surviours as recanonised in macross frontier novels and 800 million zentradi who joined both sides use cloning for to increase there populations for a colonization push.
Gundam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 10:54   Link #112
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
You can say that just cause mobile phone are normal for you, but such thing was as much unthinkable in age of vacum tubes as mecha for us.
First, mobile phones are created in order to be more practical, smaller and easier to use. That's the total opposite of having impractical, complex, and bigger giant humanoid robots replacing the much practical tanks, choppers, and fighter planes .

Second, FMP pretty much happen in an era not far from ours nowadays. Only, the world of FMP is an alternate continuity in which the Cold War didn’t end and Black Technology exists. I don’t know if ten years from now you can envision the world’s military using giant humanoid robots with the infamous Lambda Driver, but I certainly can’t.

Quote:
No it was commentary based on real science THEY knew all along and it was important plot point as it was based on science he COULDN'T KNOW YET as it was from future.
One is not exclusive to another. See my answer above. Beside the ones coming from Black Technology, the normal technology of the FMP world is comparable to us, hence Kalinin’s comment can be both meta and in-story. So I’m not the one who is mixing meta & in-story reasons. It’s inherent in Kalinin’s comment (that's why I use it).
Old 2014-04-01, 11:00   Link #113
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam8 View Post
I'm replying to another post actually humans outnumber zentradi after fist space war it 4 billion human surviours as recanonised in macross frontier novels and 800 million zentradi who joined both sides use cloning for to increase there populations for a colonization push.
According to the original source material, the First Space War only left about 900 thousand survivors on Earth while the Zentradi fleet lost 1.8 million vessels out of 5 million. However, only a handful of the Zentradi chose to stay with humanity, which numbered about 8 million. Including 10k survivors on-board the Macross, the ratio between Zentradi and Humanity is roughly about 8:1. Keep in mind, before Space War I, humanity boasted a population of 10 billion.

I do not know where the figure 4 billion came from, and I read the Frontier novels.

The aftermath of the First Space War also left Earth's atmosphere incredibly radioactive and not fit for human habitation. A massive terraforming project, which later became the basis of human colonies in the Milky Way galaxy was immediately underway. In order to repopulate Earth & beyond, humans had to borrow Zentradi cloning technology to deliver the results in very short notice. At the same time, Britai was named the supreme naval commander of the UNS/NUNS.

Earth had been disfigured right after Space War I, and you can still see its trace in Macross Plus. The disfigurement of Earth's geography was so massive that new continents surfaced due to Earth's ocean drying out.

And the Zentradi wasn't even remotely serious at the time.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2014-04-09 at 12:07.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:00   Link #114
Tenzen12

No I can't envision military using mecha as it would require completely new set of technologies. But it's not impossible for such to be discovered.

Noone in FMP verse showed any inclination to be meta, which means if there is single comment that could be interpreted like that it obvious it wasn't meant that way.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:14   Link #115
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
No I can't envision military using mecha as it would require completely new set of technologies. But it's not impossible for such to be discovered.
And the world of FMP has a set of technology similar to ours (before Black Technology comes). So what’s unlikely for us in ten years is also unlikely in the FMP-world (without Black Technology).

Quote:
Noone in FMP verse showed any inclination to be meta, which means if there is single comment that could be interpreted like that it obvious it wasn't meant that way.
I disagree. The moment Kalinin wondering how Arm Slaves can possibly be exist as one of the primary instruments of war and how unbelievable it is for him (even though Arm Slaves has become a common thing in his world), I feel quite a strong meta-commentary there. If you believe otherwise, then let’s just agree to disagree at this point.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:19   Link #116
Tenzen12

-Unlikely isn't imposible. It's hard to perfectly predict how will technology progress. One breaktrough and we can be building interstelar space ships in ten years.
- Remind single other instance of anyone being meta and I will not have reason say thing. But if there isn't, it just you.
Old 2014-04-01, 11:41   Link #117
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I'd like to see what happened after Macross Zero
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 11:53   Link #118
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I'd like to see what happened after Macross Zero
Thats easy, Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Space War I happened in a few months.

By the time of Macross Zero, the SDF had already landed. Cities were built around it, and it was getting ready for launch. It was just that, coincidentally, another vessel of different origin was discovered...

- Tak

Old 2014-04-01, 13:12   Link #119
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
-Unlikely isn't imposible. It's hard to perfectly predict how will technology progress. One breaktrough and we can be building interstelar space ships in ten years.
Now you're arguing semantics? . Suit yourself then. You can wait ten years to see whether the world's military will use giant humanoid robots to do battle. I, on the other hand, know better.

Quote:
- Remind single other instance of anyone being meta and I will not have reason say thing. But if there isn't, it just you.
I don't need to provide you one. Kalinin's comment is acting as a single agent of meta-commentary. A meta commentary doesn't have to be more than one, so numbers is irrelevant.
Old 2014-04-01, 13:47   Link #120
Tenzen12

Well in the end you don't have to use arguments and precedents because is you are smartest guy (lol) around. That's indeed convicing.

You don't know what will be in ten years, if you think you do it just shows your conceit.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-04-01 at 14:01.