AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 00:56   Link #101
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticichi View Post
I think the adaption so far made me like Erika more; The scene where Tatsuya meets Mizuki and Erika, and Erika keeps repeating their last names (Shiba, Shibata, Chiba) was not from the LN and I smiled at that.
Me too. I actually replayed the Erika scene a few times just to really let it sink it.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 00:56   Link #102
TonyC1994
Unknown

Actually there is something bothering me.

That scene in the first 1:30 of the video, was the magic being used what I think it was? If so, then it was VERY different from I had in my mind.
TonyC1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:04   Link #103
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC1994 View Post
Actually there is something bothering me.

That scene in the first 1:30 of the video, was the magic being used what I think it was? If so, then it was VERY different from I had in my mind.
I thought the beginning only showed Sakura Honami's barrier and Tatsuya shooting the bullet with acceleration magic and then activating material burst?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:06   Link #104
TonyC1994
Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I thought the beginning only showed Sakura Honami's barrier and Tatsuya shooting the bullet with acceleration magic and then activating material burst?
I tried to avoid straight out mentioning it since I was afraid it might be...spoilerish(?)

But yes, I always thought it was activated differently... maybe I need to reread.
TonyC1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:20   Link #105
CatRules
Shipper

Just want to share. Non-plot-related thing like magic system also counted as spoil if the anime hasn't yet covered it.

Agree. Lot of things were changed from LN. What irritated me most was Tatsuya didn't think "eh? I didn't know Chiba family has a daughter name Erika."
Old 2014-04-06, 01:35   Link #106
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
I think the adaption so far made me like Erika more; The scene where Tatsuya meets Mizuki and Erika, and Erika keeps repeating their last names (Shiba, Shibata, Chiba) was not from the LN and I smiled at that.
That was in the LNs though... >.>
Spoiler for Vol1 Ch1:
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:36   Link #107
Galacticichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
Me too. I actually replayed the Erika scene a few times just to really let it sink it.
I replayed it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Agree. Lot of things were changed from LN. What irritated me most was Tatsuya didn't think "eh? I didn't know Chiba family has a daughter name Erika."
Yeah and seeing as they displayed Tatsuya's intelligence when he knew the Morisaki Clan's prowess in quick draw I don't know why those few words were omitted. Also, I don't recall Morisaki naming himself at all during this episode. Another example of Tatsuya's intellect?

Volume 1 Chapter 1
(But still, Chiba huh... another numbered one? I didn't know that the Chiba House had a daughter by the name of "Erika," but it's possible that she's of collateral descent...)
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:42   Link #108
Galacticichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
That was in the LNs though... >.>
Spoiler for Vol1 Ch1:
Yes, but she repeated them in that order at least 2 more times after stating that. She didn't do that in the LN but did in the anime
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 01:55   Link #109
anonfr

Quote:
Yes, but she repeated them in that order at least 2 more times after stating that. She didn't do that in the LN but did in the anime
ahaha I was about to say that. I thought it was cute when she kept repeating it and giggling.
Old 2014-04-06, 01:55   Link #110
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Just want to share. Non-plot-related thing like magic system also counted as spoil if the anime hasn't yet covered it.

I don't think it was changed. It was more like they omitted all the very subtle details that most people wouldn't look at for a second glance.
Old 2014-04-06, 02:20   Link #111
anonfr

Quote:
I don't think it was changed. It was more like they omitted all the very subtle details that most people wouldn't look at for a second glance.
I feel like the deeper facets of the Chiba family don't really take the stage until the Vampire Arc anyway. They probably thought they don't have to put too much attention into something they aren't going to cover. Everything boils down to precious minutes after all.
Old 2014-04-06, 02:28   Link #112
Rava

Something I found really interesting on going through the episode more carefully is them showing Tatsuya actively using Elemental Sight -- his pupil contracts slightly. It also explains why they showed an animation of him spellcasting with glowing particles -- that had to be a Gram Demolition he was starting to ready, in which case the excess light makes sense.

I guess that also means Honoka's activation speed is ridiculously fast as well, since she progressed past the glowing phase immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC1994 View Post
I tried to avoid straight out mentioning it since I was afraid it might be...spoilerish(?)

But yes, I always thought it was activated differently... maybe I need to reread.
This thread was set up specifically for spoilers so that people wouldn't contaminate the Anime thread with them. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use spoiler tags if you think it's a plot point kind of spoiler.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:34   Link #113
niffum

As a novel reader, I really enjoyed that first episode. Had I have been an anime-only viewer, I think I would have found it solid if not awe-inspiring, with enough hooks and information snippets to ensure that I'd watch the second episode at least.

My only real complaint is that they didn't explain the lack of teachers in this episode: Haruka walking in the classroom was the perfect opportunity to do that and it feels like they kind of wastsed that scene. My other complaint would be Leo's voice actor who came across as kind of stiff and out of synch, but hopefully he will settle into his role soon.

Other than that, gorgeous animation, lovely colour palette and getting visual representations of things like the school, the cars and transport systems was really nice. It was such a treat to see everyone moving and talking.
niffum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:45   Link #114
IceHism

Haruka isn't even their teacher tho, she's the life counselor. They should have elaborated that course 2 students don't get teachers for their magic classes since i think it confused a lot of people.
Old 2014-04-06, 03:23   Link #115
niffum

Quote:
Haruka isn't even their teacher tho, she's the life counselor. They should have elaborated that course 2 students don't get teachers for their magic classes since i think it confused a lot of people.
True but the simple fact that a faculty member walked into their homeroom came as a surprise to most of the students. In the novel, this really brought home how left-to-their-own-devices the Course 2 students are, which is why it seemed like a good chance to elaborate on the lack of teachers.
niffum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 03:29   Link #116
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
You know guys, it's only taken 1 episode for some people in the anime thread to say Gary Stu. What the heck was in the 1st episode that even made Tatsuya seem like a Gary Stu anway?
It's just people regurgitating what they read elsewhere. Nevermind them. Trashed by the sensei, put into weed class - that's no Gary Stu.

The fun of the first 4 volumes is how a seemingly indeed-limited main character starts out small and then turns out to be competent, then very capable, and finally monstrous. Unfortunately, there is no "unspoil" spell...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 03:30   Link #117
Chris38

Well a pretty decent first episode ... I really hope that they will continue in this quality for the rest of the season.

Well, the prologue was definitely a surprise and the magic that Tatsuya used didn't look like how I imagined it.

I also like how they are keeping the technical aspect of the novels in the 'chibi' episodes ... since it makes it a lot easier to follow the plot.

Well, some things have been obviously compressed, but I think that they managed to keep the more important details about the main characters personalities, so I'm not complaining about the adaptation yet ...
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 05:27   Link #118
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It feels like they might be going for a 3 ep.structure, going by how the episode started out with, and how Masaki was shown in the first cour opening from the get-go.

3 episodes per volume comes to 4 volumes covered in the first cour. That seems a bit fast-paced.

Obviously, speculation.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 07:08   Link #119
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It feels like they might be going for a 3 ep.structure, going by how the episode started out with, and how Masaki was shown in the first cour opening from the get-go.

3 episodes per volume comes to 4 volumes covered in the first cour. That seems a bit fast-paced.

Obviously, speculation.
as long as it didn't become 1 episode per volume I am happy
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 08:05   Link #120
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
Well 2 cour shows typically have 2 opening and closing credits. The 9SC being shown in the first cour's opening would probably mean it's going to start while we're still within the first 12 episodes.
Are you saying they might be covering 8 volumes. If that the case, I hope they do a good job with 26 eps.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote