AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Master Clan Conference Arc (Volume 17-19) Rating
Perfect 10 12 25.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 21.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-07-14, 09:18   Link #101
erbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
She also wanted to cast Cocytus into a mass of people that may or may not have had allies and innocents mixed in because it was annoying to kill them one at a time.
Which volume? Because she didn't do it in volume 1-13. Haven't read 14 yet. With Tatsuya's eyes she could pinpoint like she did freezefire in yokohoma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerand View Post
"“Onii-sama, is something on your mind?”
Even if this was a direct strike, this sort of questioning was probably a little too direct. Even Tatsuya looked at his sister with a dumbfounded expression, though that might be precisely the reason why he didn’t try to muddy the issue.
“I’m just a little concerned about the circumstances surrounding Shippou.”
“……Onii-sama. If you ever feel that you’re unable to forgive his insolence, please let me know.”
“Wait, wait, Miyuki. Don’t be so hasty.”
Seeing the malicious glint flashing in the depths of Miyuki’s eyes that bordered on killing intent, Tatsuya frantically waved his hand left and right. "

She gets murderous over mere insults directed at her brother.

"Only one of them dared to raise a hand towards Miyuki's Onii-sama.
That asinine man was already frozen.
However, for her, this level of retribution could be said to be sufficient, but at the same time unsatisfactory.
A sufficient reason.
An unsatisfactory result.
Before the young girl's slim figure, two rows of men stood there, unable to move at all.
Both mentally — and physically.
The floor was covered by a solid layer of white frost.
The only place that shared the same season as the outer world was a small circle that spread around where the young girl stood.
The white mist condensed into a tornado.
The frost turned the air bitterly cold.
She raised her right hand.
In this reality, she stood like the Queen of Ice about to render judgement upon the damned.
"You are all very unfortunate."
Her tone was entirely different from usual.
However, these words that were filled with majesty, judgement, and authority were in no way incompatible with her appearance.
"If you had not raised your hand against Onii-sama, I had planned to go easy on you."
The cold air slowly rose.
Gradually, the cold corroded their bodies.
The faces of the men were contorted with sheer terror and utter despair.
"I am not merciful like my Onii-sama."
The white mist rose to throat level.
"Pray. Pray that you will retain your pitiful lives."
The chilling air that utterly covered the men from head to toe abruptly turned the atmosphere solemn.
Wide Area Oscillation Speed Magic "Niflheim".
Silent screams permeated the deepening mist. "

She didn't need to blast them with Niflheim at all, she did it purely because she was "unsatisfied" with simply capturing them after what they did to her brother, which was absolutely nothing, they failed to effect Tatsuya at all, it was merely an attempt.

She told them to pray that they retain their lives, before blasting the mercilessly with A class magic, it was force far beyond what was required for a group of people not even resisting. She did it purely because they "raised their hands" against Tatsuya.

It was even stated in the novel that what her and Tatsuya did was excessive.
"The actions of Tatsuya and co could be construed as excessive self defense at best, or unlicensed use of magic causing injury and attempted murder at worst, but the arm of the law would not extend to them. -- "

"Miyuki's eyes shone with a fully serious light. Seeing that far too deep obsession, it seemed like Lina would laugh it off as deception, but she only let out a chuckle. "

Miyuki is obsessive and can easily resort to extreme violence for something as simply as attempting to act against her brother. There's nothing that mentioned she didn't properly control her Nilfheim.

"As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much.
Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh ."

She felt that it may have been excessive later on, but does attempting to mass murder people simply because they "raised their hands" against her brother make it okay simply because she felt bad after? As seen by her telling them to "Pray for their pitiful lives", at the point in time when she used the magic, she had complete knowledge that she was potentially about to commit mass murder on people that were disarmed and not even attempting to resist.
"Miyuki was depressed for a week afterwards. On the surface she was the same perfect beauty as ever, but she was seen burying her face in both hands every now and then. She did this to some extent at home too. As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much. Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh . During that time, Tatsuya had endlessly comforted Miyuki, until she had come out of her depressed mood such that she could smile again despite her sombre condition. "

"Her heart yearned,
And desired for Tatsuya to stay by her side. Right now, Miyuki was alone in their house. It was far too lonely and difficult to bear the burden of the lives she took all by herself. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
It's a long time ago since I read the early volumes but If I recall it correctly then there is a major difference between manga and books

In the manga she suffers deeply because she hurt others. In the books ... well let's say her pity is limited. It's more about wanting to be with Tatsuya than actually caring about the victims.
I haven't read the manga. I just got done rereading the ln's.
erbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 11:14   Link #102
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbrah View Post
Which volume? Because she didn't do it in volume 1-13. Haven't read 14 yet. With Tatsuya's eyes she could pinpoint like she did freezefire in yokohoma.
Tatsuya wasn't with her at the time. It was in the Yokohama incident when Mayumi had to stop her from doing a mass AOE on allies and Enemies.

Spoiler for Yokohama:

The bold part implies that Miyuki was ok with the off chance she takes out a few allies because the battle will end with just one attack. Miyuki doesn't have Tatsuyas eyes to help her with targeting here.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 11:55   Link #103
Echizen777

Quote:
Tatsuya wasn't with her at the time. It was in the Yokohama incident when Mayumi had to stop her from doing a mass AOE on allies and Enemies.

Spoiler for Yokohama:

The bold part implies that Miyuki was ok with the off chance she takes out a few allies because the battle will end with just one attack. Miyuki doesn't have Tatsuyas eyes to help her with targeting here.

That part is kinda odd because it's implied that Miyuki could have stopped everyone without interfering with allies magic but not hurt them, and her limit is 16 targets at the same time, her specialty is also AOE and not high precision sniping. It would have made more sense if she was going to use Zone Interference but it was implied that she was going to use an attack. The way it was written it was as if it was supposed to be something good and yet when I consider things like that it doesn't make sense, Satou's writing is sometimes really confusing when he's writing about Miyuki's talents.

That recent discussion should be in Miyuki's thread.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 12:02   Link #104
tigerdave

Quote:

Spoiler for Yokohama:

I don't think Miyuki would have used an aoe magic there. That was just Mayumi's assumption. Plus, Tatsuya's seal was off which allows Miyuki to have better control of her magic. Mayumi had never seen Miyuki at full strength before and was making an assumption that Miyuki couldn't handle the job safely. I doubt Miyuki would have used a magic that could hit friendlies, especially with her prowess.
tigerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 13:09   Link #105
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post
I don't think Miyuki would have used an aoe magic there. That was just Mayumi's assumption. Plus, Tatsuya's seal was off which allows Miyuki to have better control of her magic. Mayumi had never seen Miyuki at full strength before and was making an assumption that Miyuki couldn't handle the job safely. I doubt Miyuki would have used a magic that could hit friendlies, especially with her prowess.
That makes things difficult there, how can one strike be considered as a non AOE attack? Besides, her limit is still 16 at once, even Tatsuya can target 24 at once, and assuming she can do the same it's not enough. She is also far from being the best at sniping and she lacked snesory abilities for such a task, her magic is to affect large areas.
Old 2015-07-14, 14:43   Link #106
Iramohs

Quote:
That makes things difficult there, how can one strike be considered as a non AOE attack? Besides, her limit is still 16 at once, even Tatsuya can target 24 at once, and assuming she can do the same it's not enough. She is also far from being the best at sniping and she lacked snesory abilities for such a task, her magic is to affect large areas.
She may have just wanted to drop NIlfheim on them. She was already pretty upset and not thinking clearly. It would've handled them all at once though.
Iramohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 16:22   Link #107
fsck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
because hitting 16 targets by locking onto their eidos is different than hitting a (for example) 12m per side square with niflheim. by definition, area of effect targets an area.
fsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 17:46   Link #108
Aciald

In my opinion Miyuki was just being immature. She was certain she could use her power to take out the enemy without considering possible consequences. She wasn't showing callousness just youthful blindness. (If she intended to use specific targeting as opposed to an area effect attack then she is only guilty of failure to communicate and Mayumi was still right to stop her.)

To be fair, however, she showed a great deal of maturity by accepting Mayumi's order without arguing the issue even though she disagreed.
Aciald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 17:54   Link #109
erbrah

Quote:

Spoiler for Yokohama:

Well it's sacraficing a couple people for a purpose. Once again, this comes down to personal morals. I personally don't find her act atrocious or bad.

Also, this implies a AOE attack not coctyus. She could've controlled nilfheim like she did when she took down the guy in the building.
erbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 21:11   Link #110
hiddensurvivor

Quote:

Spoiler for Yokohama:

That was just Mayumi's assumption that Miyuki would also strike their allies because Mayumi does not know Miyuki's true strength after the seal on Tatsuya is lifted. Miyuki was confident enough not to hit a single ally (and Mayumi would probably have freaked out even more if she had realized this).
hiddensurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 23:33   Link #111
Kadia

Oh man! i can't do my job properly, i compulsively read v16 and 'm dying to know the detail contents of v17. As it is prohibited to share the summary in this thread, could someone PM me the link where u can take a peek at the summary first hand when the volume come out? pretty please
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 23:38   Link #112
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsck View Post
because hitting 16 targets by locking onto their eidos is different than hitting a (for example) 12m per side square with niflheim. by definition, area of effect targets an area.
Oh, you are right but unless she planned to hit allies as well it's just confusing, she was planning to end everything in one strike, and the text didn't imply that she was going to spare allies as well(it was only written that she could be able to not interfere on the magic of her allies), and yet the way it was written it gave the impression that she would end everything without hitting allies. What was she going to use, something like Niflheim, Inferno or Diamond Dust? And considering their distance Mayumi was actually better suited and could identify targets better than she was, this is just odd
Old 2015-07-15, 01:17   Link #113
MRD143

We still don't know what Miyuki's capabilities are when she has full access to her Magic. All we know for sure is she has access to Cocytus and can over power Lina plus control gravity without a CAD.
MRD143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 06:56   Link #114
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD143 View Post
We still don't know what Miyuki's capabilities are when she has full access to her Magic. All we know for sure is she has access to Cocytus and can over power Lina plus control gravity without a CAD.
Miyuki, full power, might be capable of reducing the temperature of a large area to absolute zero, freezing everything and everybody around her.
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 04:03   Link #115
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
As long as their dirty misdeeds are not revealed, I'd say the 4 most known to readers (Yotsuba, Saegusa, Ichijou, Kudou) have the best chance to be selected to the Ten Master Clans.
-Yotsuba is guaranteed because of their huge power with Maya, Tatsuya and Miyuki in it.
-Ichijou is probably guaranteed too because it has Masaki who is a national asset.
-Saegusa should be as well since they're the 2nd most powerful family.
-Kudou very likely because it has Lina who is related and Retsu who is the de facto leader of the Japanese Magic Community.
Based on vol.17 preview, Yotsuba, Saegusa, and Kudou are standing out among 27 families.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
Just discover this today
Yes, the Yotsuba is part of the Ten Master Clans, but what right does other clans have to meddle with the Yotsuba. If they are not doing harm, they should be left be.
In the setting of the Ten Master Clans, I don't think emotions are considered for pairings, abilities and genetics are. I don't think Mayumi has the right to feel betrayed with this development.
Seems like, there are fans who still want the system to interfere with Tatsuya x Miyuki.
Only person who has an authority to break a pairing, is Maya. And, if other 26 families have a problem with Yotsuba, they can always kick out Yotsuba from 10MC by not voting for Yotsuba during the selection process.

For Ichijou Gouki's proposal, it feels like the political marriage proposal, and at least it has nothing to with any romantic feeling that Masaki has towards Miyuki. Now, only Tatsuya, Maya, and Miyuki are known to be members of Yotsuba, so if Gouki wishes to build any alliance with Yotsuba, Gouki has to object the engagement and tries to propose the engagement. If this is the case, I am really interested why Gouki has not approached to Saegusa, and I am also wondering why Koichi has not approached to Gouki with the engagement between Masaki and Izumi or Kasumi. If it is successful, Koichi can build an alliance against Yotsuba and may be able to balance against Yotsuba's strength.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 05:33   Link #116
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
Based on vol.17 preview, Yotsuba, Saegusa, and Kudou are standing out among 27 families.

Seems like, there are fans who still want the system to interfere with Tatsuya x Miyuki.
Only person who has an authority to break a pairing, is Maya. And, if other 26 families have a problem with Yotsuba, they can always kick out Yotsuba from 10MC by not voting for Yotsuba during the selection process.

For Ichijou Gouki's proposal, it feels like the political marriage proposal, and at least it has nothing to with any romantic feeling that Masaki has towards Miyuki. Now, only Tatsuya, Maya, and Miyuki are known to be members of Yotsuba, so if Gouki wishes to build any alliance with Yotsuba, Gouki has to object the engagement and tries to propose the engagement. If this is the case, I am really interested why Gouki has not approached to Saegusa, and I am also wondering why Koichi has not approached to Gouki with the engagement between Masaki and Izumi or Kasumi. If it is successful, Koichi can build an alliance against Yotsuba and may be able to balance against Yotsuba's strength.
I forgot about Juumonji as it is the 3rd most powerful family, and since Lina doesn't have any influence then I'd say the Kudou familiy's chances are the same as most of the families. There are 28 families, and the 3 most powerful families Yotsuba, Saegusa and Juumonji will have the biggest chances to be selected and probably Ichijou as well.

Miyuki will refuse the proposal since she wants to be with Tatsuya. Though she was finally able to tell Tatsuya that she's in love with him, it will be interesting to see when she says that to other people and see how they will react.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 05:57   Link #117
Kadia

Quote:

^U can't ignore the possibility as simple as that Gouki just dote on his son. From the SS and the story portrayed so far, it seems Ichijou is a warm family and is not quite political oriented. I believe they do not approach Saegusa because Gouki may realize that Koichi is quite patriarch which deems a younger man is not suited to his daughter. Sometime we tend to overthinking a bit.

Regarding the marriage, we haven't known in details yet how the marriage b/n 10MC proceed i.e. need majority of the vote so that the couple is formally accepted among 10MC or just b/n the engaged families. It is mentioned somewhere 10MC usually strengthens their bloodline by marriage among high caliber magicians, in other words among 10 Mc's scions. There was never a case like MiyukixTat that engages within family. There is a high chance for many oppositions from other families apart from Ichijou. If i were Koichi or Retsu, i would raise an objection too coz u know those foxes always wish to undermine Yotsuba's power especially Retsu who know how powerful Tat is.

IMO, Mayumi is out of the picture as long as she is still unable to stand against her patriarchal father. Her fiance might also be announced in this meeting too that y she made the gloomy face on the cover (apart from realizing Tat'sidentity)
Old 2015-07-16, 06:33   Link #118
TheLaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
If this is the case, I am really interested why Gouki has not approached to Saegusa, and I am also wondering why Koichi has not approached to Gouki with the engagement between Masaki and Izumi or Kasumi. If it is successful, Koichi can build an alliance against Yotsuba and may be able to balance against Yotsuba's strength.
We still don't know how good relations are between those families, there might be the chance that between them is not a friendship.

Anyway, it would be interesting to understand politics behind the system and their relationship between families
TheLaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 07:45   Link #119
Crazy Frog
Dead People

Quote:

Spoiler for Yokohama:

Her brocom not because she is not dependable or week but to show her cuteness in front of Tatsuya. Well she is Yotsuba, sure she badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadia View Post

IMO, Mayumi is out of the picture as long as she is still unable to stand against her patriarchal father. Her fiance might also be announced in this meeting too that y she made the gloomy face on the cover (apart from realizing Tat'sidentity)
Why should her fiance news announce on 10MC meeting? She not marrying next clan head 10MC. Just announce her engagement during Saegusa party or something like that.
Old 2015-07-16, 08:11   Link #120
Kadia

^I might be wording wrong, i meant she was engaged elsewhere (just like MiyukixTat at Yotsuba main house) and officially known and discussed among 10MC during the meeting. Well..it's unlikely to happen but i for one would like to see Mayumi's reaction if she was engaged to someone not Tat. U know kind of a fantasy setting, a princess is forced to marry due to political reason and hope for a prince to rescue her. Unfortunately, such delusion won't happen to Mayumi for real

Tags
political intrigue