AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-11, 16:54   Link #101
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-11 at 20:46.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 17:57   Link #102
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I have strong feeling that Sakuno is not related by blood to Shingo much like Da Capo and probably Akane-iro Somaru Saka. Despite having the sister as part of the harem(as proven in ED) but its pretty obvious that this show won't become another Yosuga no Sora.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:48   Link #103
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Spoiler for episode 2:

edit:
Spoiler for episode 2:

Last edited by hyl; 2011-10-11 at 19:57.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 18:56   Link #104
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Ep. 1: Now this was a very nice episode. A bit slow perhaps, but I liked that a lot more than Majikoi, where you're thrown right into the middle of it, and everything goes right over your head when you haven't read the novel or manga

Character designs are done very cute and lovable, big plus on that. Airi's zettai ryouiki is very lovely. The obligatory cute animal, a ball with ears and tail, is also there.

We get introduced to the little sister, who apparently has no sense of direction whatsoever... at least she's smart enough to take a mobile phone with her and can take pics to help her onii-chan find her. Just too bad she didn't check the battery before running off - she seems a little scatter-brained overall and easily gets distracted.
I wonder why she hasn't got herself a mobile phone with Gps function - or rather, why her onii-san hasn't got one for her. Picking up his lost sister seems to be happening frequently. If she had Gps, he would be able to pick her up very quickly, without having to search for her.

Next, at the school, we have him (along with few other lucky boys) being admitted to a previous girls only school. Jackpot!
The tsuntsun princess is not all that happy about that, though...
Oh, and we do have an androphobic *sensei* here. I think that's a first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicaLideaL View Post
She is not a tsundere. She was very kind towards Sakuno and Shingo up until she met them in the school. She is simply annoyed by the fact that 2 of them are part of the test student batch which enter her school.
I would put Airi as a very *typical* tsundere even. While we do start out seing her deredere side first, which is unusual, her behaviour at school is very typical tsuntsun behaviour.

So we have a second "Sena" here... although here, she has "Sena" as the family name rather than the personal name, as in Bokutomo.
Old 2011-10-12, 00:51   Link #105
Mazryonh

One voice I heard in the background in the first episode was Ryouko Tanaka, whose last starring role in a mainstream anime series was as Hinata Kagura in H2O: Footprints in the Sand. I also heard her as the mother of one of the characters in Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi earlier this year.

I really must wonder what it takes for these eroge seiyuu to break out of their mould and get into more mainstream anime work. It probably must be rather difficult given how few actually succeed.

The slow pace of this adaptation again makes me wish that Palette, the parent company behind the original game, had adapted Moshimo Ashita ga Hare Naraba for an anime instead. That game's premise would have gripped us right away.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 02:49   Link #106
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Spoiler for Episode 2:

I just notice the - maybe - obvious: The drawn hearts on each girl in the opening, resemble the main female leads (or if you want, the selectable girls in the VN?), I assume. I wondered about it already in Ep. 1 when the main cast wasn't introduced.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 07:24   Link #107
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Right now, my only hope is that this doesn't turn out like almost every other VN based anime I've watched (outside of Clannad) where the romance is shoehorned in during the last couple of episodes. It makes most of them not only predictable, but usually quite boring to watch... not to mention you end up with zero interest in the characters or the romance itself because nothing is really built up.
Old 2011-10-12, 08:27   Link #108
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I just notice the - maybe - obvious: The drawn hearts on each girl in the opening, resemble the main female leads (or if you want, the selectable girls in the VN?), I assume. I wondered about it already in Ep. 1 when the main cast wasn't introduced.
Well, they're the five main heroines in this anime adaptation.
Spoiler for Very minor comparison to game structure -- no future-event spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Right now, my only hope is that this doesn't turn out like almost every other VN based anime I've watched (outside of Clannad) where the romance is shoehorned in during the last couple of episodes. It makes most of them not only predictable, but usually quite boring to watch... not to mention you end up with zero interest in the characters or the romance itself because nothing is really built up.
I think this is one of the regrettable aspects of these adaptations being so short. They're taking a 40-hour game and compressing into a little over 4 hours, plus generally trying to include some scenes from as many different routes as possible so that fans of different heroines will have something to enjoy (even if only one heroine will be "chosen"). So it's really not an enviable job, as I imagine it's pretty hard to pull something together that meets all those criteria (likely required/insisted upon by the marketing folk). To me, the better adaptations have all been those that either had plenty of time/episodes (i.e. Clannad, Da Capo, etc.) or ones where they really just focused on one route and a bit of the other routes (i.e. Lamune). Some of the ones where they boiled it down to a love triangle were pretty good too (i.e. Canvas 2, Gift), but it varies wildly. (I'm also a fan of the omnibus adaptations (i.e. Yosuga no Sora, Amagami SS), but that's clearly not what they're doing here.)

All that to say, I have some hope that they can pull it off in this case, but only time will tell. Certainly, given that a story like this is all about romance, it doesn't do it justice if the romance feels tacked-on in the end. This is why the flags that are being dropped now are pretty important.
Old 2011-10-12, 08:41   Link #109
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think this is one of the regrettable aspects of these adaptations being so short. They're taking a 40-hour game and compressing into a little over 4 hours, plus generally trying to include some scenes from as many different routes as possible so that fans of different heroines will have something to enjoy (even if only one heroine will be "chosen"). So it's really not an enviable job, as I imagine it's pretty hard to pull something together that meets all those criteria (likely required/insisted upon by the marketing folk). To me, the better adaptations have all been those that either had plenty of time/episodes (i.e. Clannad, Da Capo, etc.) or ones where they really just focused on one route and a bit of the other routes (i.e. Lamune). Some of the ones where they boiled it down to a love triangle were pretty good too (i.e. Canvas 2, Gift), but it varies wildly. (I'm also a fan of the omnibus adaptations (i.e. Yosuga no Sora, Amagami SS), but that's clearly not what they're doing here.)

All that to say, I have some hope that they can pull it off in this case, but only time will tell. Certainly, given that a story like this is all about romance, it doesn't do it justice if the romance feels tacked-on in the end. This is why the flags that are being dropped now are pretty important.
I agree that most need more time to really develop anything. The last series I watched, I remember mentioning how they really needed more than 12 episodes to develop the characters. The two best VN adaptations I've personally watched are Clannad and Shuffle (never got around to Da Capo), both of which had 2 seasons to work with (and if you include After Story, that's 4 for Clannad). The characters were well-established in each and they had enough time to develop the romance. Sadly, most adaptation won't get that treatment.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:03   Link #110
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Ok...lets do this lol
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2011-10-12, 11:51   Link #111
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

A very enjoyable second episode, liked it more than the first one (and I already liked the first a good deal). It retained the calm, unhurried flow of the story that the first ep introduced, but the relaxed pacing was spiced up with the more eventful happenings during the episode. Personally I really appreciate the relaxed flow of the story - it doesn't feel like the show is in a rush to go anywhere and it adds to the atmosphere. They have a pretty good thing going for now, I hope they can maintain this calm feeling without running in to time issues in the long run.

As for the ep itself ... poor Shingo, despite best intentions, things just didn't go his way. It was borderline comical how he kept landing himself in compromising situations, one after another, until the point where girls from his own school were starting to feel shady. Talk about bad luck never coming alone It will certainly take a while to melt the ice between him and Airi at this rate, though the two of them working together as the class representatives (if they can manage the working together part) should offer plenty of chances to do so ... or to fail even more!

After being subject to all those accidents and getting the cold shoulder from the combined female body of both classes, the encounter with Miu couldn't have come at a better timing - must have been like an oasis for a thirsty man in a desert. A lovely and kind senpai, perfect for dissuading the built up tension. (Something which both Sana and Ange accomplish bit by bit at other times as well - the situation never really stays gloomy for long). Loved the interactions between the two as well, Miu taking great care to examine Shingo and all Sadly I have little illusions about them heading for Miu's ending, but I certainly wouldn't mind such. Ah well, at least she has evidently left an impression on Shingo so far - that blush at the end was pretty telling.

All in all a nice episode, both giving more character exposition (zomg, the male lead's best friend is actually a decent guy, not incompetent comic relief ?!) and moving the merger along. Now that it has been established that boys are not bad and are even good at something - namely eating () - it will be interesting to see where they go from there in melting the ice between the two populaces. At least Shingo has properly determined Airi being the main opponent to woo over. No doubt he will succeed in time, the only question is - how many more blunders he will have before that in front of her. Stay tuned to find out I guess.
Old 2011-10-12, 13:14   Link #112
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I don't know whats wrong with me these days, seems I nitpick more and more at the little stuff in anime which makes me really hate myself>_<

But what the hell here I go.

Well I think the only real nit pick is the tolietroom scene.
My problem comes from slapping whatever logic I deem necessary for me to enjoy the series which in this case isn't a great deal, like many other VN animes.
But the half-arsed labelling of the toliet doesn't sit well with me(yea you can see why I hate myself for nit picking at such a stupid little thing-__-)
If your doing this merger thing, even if it's just trial period you should have prepared for it best you can but we really don't get that here.
Feels like the setting is just there for the sake of story, which generally is fine for me but doesn't mean I won't whine about the small stuff, always feels good to get it off your chest.
There are others but I don't want to go it all, I'll just hate myself even more.

Still whatever nit picks and moans I have is just stupid and doesn't really take away from what is a very pleasant and fluffy series so far

The one thing that caught me out but I should have guessed from the 1st ep was the red head, Sana-chan!
I tell ya now that I thought she was totally gonna be type cast as a fiery hot headed tsundere but thats sooooooo not the case and for that she has my attention

Also good to know most of the classmates aren't just there for the sake of it, they actually seem like classmates.

be warned, I suspect more pointless nit picky to come!

p.s I'm surprised we didn't get a "god fall(aka girl falling on top of guy but some how guy ends up on top of girl and breat groping her)" or should I guess that is still to come?
Old 2011-10-12, 13:38   Link #113
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
But the half-arsed labelling of the toliet doesn't sit well with me(yea you can see why I hate myself for nit picking at such a stupid little thing-__-)
If your doing this merger thing, even if it's just trial period you should have prepared for it best you can but we really don't get that here.
I'm not really sure what the issue is with the labeling... basically, the school doesn't have male and female washrooms side-by-side like most co-ed schools would, and given that the school is still 95% female, they just decided to designate one washroom as being for men, with all the other washrooms everywhere being for women. Shingo was just being careless/thoughtless when he opened that door. I guess they could have put a female sign on the door, but that's sort of redundant since they're all female except the designated exception. Better to put a male sign on the one exception, and for the guys to just know the rule.

At least, that seems like a logical approach on the surface, notwithstanding thoughtless mistakes like this one.
Old 2011-10-12, 14:05   Link #114
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Poor Uryuu started off on a bad note. Luckily some encouragement from Sakuno helped him out. The guys stepped up and do what they do best pig out.Miu is adorable, is it known what kind of animal Pannya is? As expected him and Airi are the class reps. Glad Inui was welcoming like Angie
Old 2011-10-12, 14:10   Link #115
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
is it known what kind of animal Pannya is?
Suffice to say it's highly unlikely you will find a corresponding animal in real life. In-story wise, I think it's to be considered a cat ... a cat that has been mascot-ified in terms of appearance, but a cat non the less
Old 2011-10-12, 17:30   Link #116
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Mai Gotou is love. I remember listening to 2 of the drama CDs quite sometimes ago.
Sakuno's part, damn if it isn't pure sweets, making me grin like some pervert (listening it while driving in public didn't exactly helping, had my share of people staring at me).

Good execution at the home economic scene. It really felt like the girls are sincerely depending on the boys, while the boys sincerely doing their best to help. When the boys started chowing bowls of kurigohan one after another, I realized a smile is plastered on my face.
The ending also confirmed to prolong my smile (a.k.a addicted already) into the preview, in which Mai Gotou was waiting for me. Bless me.

NB : I recall Ange being a huge annoyance at Sakuno's drama cd (her voice was more grating?). But now I can clearly state that it would be impossible for me to say no to that ever-smiling-turns-brighter-smile face of hers (see ED sequence for more info).

Last edited by velvet; 2011-10-12 at 17:40.
velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 17:45   Link #117
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I am sure that Ange always sounded like that, even in the 3 drama cd's that i bought (i don't own Ange's drama, because i don't like her as a love interest.).
Old 2011-10-12, 18:24   Link #118
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
The slow pace of this adaptation again makes me wish that Palette, the parent company behind the original game, had adapted Moshimo Ashita ga Hare Naraba for an anime instead. That game's premise would have gripped us right away.
And that game's promise would be...?

I think the premise here, with the male MC going to a new school which was female-only before, is very good already
Old 2011-10-12, 18:42   Link #119
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Eventhough i liked moshiraba as well, it's unfortunately an eroge that's much older than mashiphony. The chances of having older eroge an anime adaption is less likely than newer ones. The most recent eroge anime adaptions were not older than 2-3 years from when the game was sold. Yosuga no sora (game was released in december 2008, close enough),Oretachi ni tsubasa wa nai, hoshizora e kakaru hashi, Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai! and mashiphony were released in 2009 and fortune Arterial aired in 2010 when the game was released in 2008. Moshiraba is from 2006.

While in the subject of talking about anime adaptions from Pallete, they were intending to make a sakura strasse anime but it got cancelled.

edit: basic premise for moshiraba: story from a little what i can remember, because it was quite some time ago and i am sure that forgot to mention a lot

Main protagonist lives with 2 girls who are not blood related. Main protagonist develops feelings for one of girls and confesses to her. One day that girl dies from sickness and after some moment of grief, she returns as a ghost.

Last edited by hyl; 2011-10-12 at 19:02. Reason: yosuga no sora was released in 2008, not 2009
Old 2011-10-12, 18:56   Link #120
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I agree with Skyfall here, pretty much. There's no flash here and we've seen a million of these adaptations, but there's just something a little different about this one. The best friend isn't a sex-crazed idiot, but student council president. The boys and girls act differently, but neither side is mocked and belittled. It has a nice, relaxing pace, treats the characters kindly and doesn't overplay the silliness for cheap laughs. In short - it's good. Nothing flashy - just likable and approachable and just different enough.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen