AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2011-10-30, 16:37   Link #1141
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

It's mostly Japanese fanfare on Twitter at the minute, though it's certainly a useful mode of advertisement and building hype.

From what I've seen, Spice and Wolf still continues to appeal to a wide and general audience, if only in Japan (and that's all we need to get a season 3). Season 1 on NICO had 198k viewers and 352k posts/comments. Season 2 had 135k viewers and 410k posts/comments. Those figures are somewhat comparable to Shakugan no Shana (had a two day, two series run on NICO earlier in the month) which has a third season after a three year gap.

Consider that S&W's economical overtones and lack of moe and/or action do cause it to be less popular with younger viewers, I think it's rather impressive the interest it still continues to generate. Based on both this and the possibility of further increasing sales of the manga (often times a key reason to green light an anime), I feel there is much to be hopeful about.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 16:56   Link #1142
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
It's mostly Japanese fanfare on Twitter at the minute, though it's certainly a useful mode of advertisement and building hype.

Consider that S&W's economical overtones and lack of moe and/or action do cause it to be less popular with younger viewers, I think it's rather impressive the interest it still continues to generate. Based on both this and the possibility of further increasing sales of the manga (often times a key reason to green light an anime), I feel there is much to be hopeful about.
Well you're right, it's no surprise it's mainly Japanese discussion, I would have liked to have followed the comments with the streaming, but alas, as I noted above, I was region-blocked.

However, you need to go stand in the corner... lack of moe?!?!

Holo is the pure distillate of moe!
Old 2011-10-30, 17:07   Link #1143
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Her name even rhymes with moe! Her cuteness is often surpassed by her awesomeness, I guess that's why I've never seen her as appealing to your standard obsessive moe fanatic (or furry fanatic, for that matter XD)

Following the comments on Twitter was fun, there was a lot of cheering when Lawrence finally confessed. My rudimentary (to say the least) Japanese made it a challenge and comments were coming in fast.
Old 2011-10-30, 17:10   Link #1144
Rajura

No furry here... that stuff is just creepy!
Old 2011-11-01, 19:12   Link #1145
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Anything that bumps the chance of a season 3 is a good thing in my opinion, so here's hoping the viewing figures these online broadcasts got will open a few eyes that there's still a potential user/customer base here who'd be eager for more material.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-01, 20:00   Link #1146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
No furry here... that stuff is just creepy!
I'm ambivalent.... no different than alien+human relationships in sci-fi. A key concern is sentience equivalency.

Whether its Zakuro (half-kami), Holo (demi-goddess) ... as far as I'm concerned if you can share food, go for a walk, talk politics, morals, or gossip - its "human".
Old 2011-11-02, 01:06   Link #1147
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm ambivalent.... no different than alien+human relationships in sci-fi. A key concern is sentience equivalency.

Whether its Zakuro (half-kami), Holo (demi-goddess) ... as far as I'm concerned if you can share food, go for a walk, talk politics, morals, or gossip - its "human".
Oh, I don't disagree. I just hate when people see a character like Holo and immediately equate that to the realm of "furry". They are two very much different things. It's just hard to explain that to people sometimes.

And, that's also not really a conversation to have in public. When I hear furry, I only see one thing (accurate or not), the stuff as presented on that show, Taboo.

Oh well, no since in rehashing this as we apparently are in agreement.
Old 2011-11-02, 01:46   Link #1148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I just hate when people see a character like Holo and immediately equate that to the realm of "furry".
I have a term for those people: "idiots".

I usually ask them if they think Spock or T'pol is a "furry" .... if I haven't already called them idiots.
Old 2011-11-02, 04:16   Link #1149
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Back when the first Spice and Wolf aired I had a friend who kept calling me a furry because I was so pumped for the show.

Around the same time he gave me his username on a review site so I could go check out his opinions.

Shortly after I was reading a review of a Spice and Wolf episode by one of my favourite anime blogs and spotted a comment "I'd plant my seed inside of her, if you know what I mean" (obvious reference to the "seven seeds to plant inside of me" from the first season ED).

My thought? "I think I recognize that user name from somewhere...".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 04:55   Link #1150
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Anything that bumps the chance of a season 3 is a good thing in my opinion, so here's hoping the viewing figures these online broadcasts got will open a few eyes that there's still a potential user/customer base here who'd be eager for more material.
It certainly boosts the chances of season 3 in my opinion, or maybe beyond, there's enough subject material and user interest for at least 2 more seasons to be profitable and not go stale.

The NICO broadcasts are the perfect springboard for an announcement, as there is a considerable amount of fresh hype and interest there among old and new fans alike. Here's hoping they take the bait.

As for the furry thing, I never really considered Holo a prime target for that particular fandom. Perhaps you could put that down to how well she's written and voiced. As a whole, if it's done well, people who normally would not be interested in such things can find it to be quite normal within the context of it's setting. Tali/Liara-mancers in Mass Effect are a good example.
Old 2011-11-07, 01:43   Link #1151
nestea2004

Send a message via AIM to nestea2004 Send a message via Yahoo to nestea2004
I don't think Holo really goes to the Furry thing but I do enjoy that realm from time to time (when I can bypass the smut of it, there is actually quite a few good 'furry' artists ^^)

but then again..my biggest influence in the genre was Gold Digger comics ^^; Sheila Silvear ...her excessive use of "Ka-powie" won me over ^^;
nestea2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 10:24   Link #1152
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestea2004 View Post
but then again..my biggest influence in the genre was Gold Digger comics ^^; Sheila Silvear ...her excessive use of "Ka-powie" won me over ^^;
ha, good stuff indeed.

I've never been a fan of furrys all that much, but Gold Digger always was an exception for me for whatever reason. Its probably one of my favorite comic series, got a bunch of the issues stored in my house and I still collect and read them to this day.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 11:45   Link #1153
nestea2004

Send a message via AIM to nestea2004 Send a message via Yahoo to nestea2004
I have been wanting to get back into collecting the gold digger comcis (Right now I have Gold Bricks 1-3) which are the old black and white comics and 3 is starting the colored versions off, but I wanna grab the rest ^^
nestea2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 14:28   Link #1154
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestea2004 View Post
I have been wanting to get back into collecting the gold digger comcis (Right now I have Gold Bricks 1-3) which are the old black and white comics and 3 is starting the colored versions off, but I wanna grab the rest ^^
Some of them can be hard to find. I myself have kind of a scattered collection of ther series. Fortunately for me I found a sellar at a convention one time who had 3 full boxes full of issues. Needless to say I bought them all.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 19:52   Link #1155
Rajura

To kind of redirect this back toward S&W, I am really looking forward to the December release of the next English release... hopefully sales will remain strong!
Old 2011-11-07, 21:48   Link #1156
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Old question but speaking of the novel, is it possible to purchase vol.1 anywhere with the dust cover attached?
Phoenix6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-07, 23:42   Link #1157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix6000 View Post
Old question but speaking of the novel, is it possible to purchase vol.1 anywhere with the dust cover attached?
Hmmm... you're probably off to e-bay or some collector's auction site at this point? I haven't seen any floating about on the shelves at least and its hard to tell on many bookseller websites.
Old 2011-11-08, 01:28   Link #1158
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I've got a confession to make.

I don't want there to be a season 3... Why?

Because then it'll be closer to finishing the story of Horo and Lawrence, which I just know will have a sad or bitter-sweet ending, and I don't think my little heart could take that.

I know it's strange, but my love for their relationship goes pretty deep.
Old 2011-11-08, 01:40   Link #1159
Phoenix6000
An Alternate Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm... you're probably off to e-bay or some collector's auction site at this point? I haven't seen any floating about on the shelves at least and its hard to tell on many bookseller websites.
That really sucks because aside from ebay I have no idea where to look. I could have sworn that I spotted one in my Barnes&Noble this past summer, but due to issues I wasn't able to buy it at the time. =.=

If anyone should stumble across an online retailer I'd greatly appreciate a PM with the link enclosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
I've got a confession to make.

I don't want there to be a season 3... Why?

Because then it'll be closer to finishing the story of Horo and Lawrence, which I just know will have a sad or bitter-sweet ending, and I don't think my little heart could take that.

I know it's strange, but my love for their relationship goes pretty deep.
Um, you are aware that the story has concluded in the novels, right? I for one would enjoy seeing their relationship play out in season three.
Phoenix6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 01:46   Link #1160
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix6000 View Post
Um, you are aware that the story has concluded in the novels, right? I for one would enjoy seeing their relationship play out in season three.
Nope, that's why I'm posting in here and not the LN discussion~.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen