AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 12 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 19.72%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 26.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 19.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.41%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-03-27, 12:10   Link #1081
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
So, I was going to wait until half of Chapter 4 was translated to make my reactions (and avoided this thread until as such) but then I found out that the entire translation after Part 2 was completed overnight. So, I'll split up my reactions into two posts--one for Chapter 4 and one for the Epilogue+Afterword.

TL;DR…
Reactions
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Whoo. That was a lot to take in. But that was a great fight. I was so happy when Kanou delivered the finishing blow.

Now the only things left are the epilogue and the afterword (which I ended up reading during my Psychology class ).
I see that I am not the only one that still remebers and thinks fondly of Senator Moses.

Also I think the radio incident refers to the version of War of the Worlds that aired on the radio.
Old 2015-03-27, 12:21   Link #1082
Nvis
Where are the good animes

If not for bunny girl, I wouldn't give a f**k about St.Germain and this volume.

Maybe Fairy Othinus, at the most.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:46   Link #1083
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inept Forum User View Post
It's most likely referring to the 1938 radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
I see that I am not the only one that still remebers and thinks fondly of Senator Moses.

Also I think the radio incident refers to the version of War of the Worlds that aired on the radio.
Senator Moses stole my kokoro when he went full Moses.
Old 2015-03-27, 12:59   Link #1084
zaikoi

Spoiler for Things I like:
zaikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 13:40   Link #1085
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Alot of good stuff in this volume, the Kanou and Germain parallels were spot on, despite how talked about Germain being ''pathetic'', they did a really good job as a villain to stir things up and create chaos(nearly had Touma crapping himself). It managed to pull in a fun ride with Kanou looking for Frenda and being tricked. Was really hoping for Kanou to meet Mugino but I guess that will have to wait. The Dianoid was a very interesting place with the way it was used and how it had an effect, i really think using the setting is one of Kamachi's strengths.
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 16:07   Link #1086
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

allfictions' final impressions

Hello folks of Animesuki. It's really been a while since I have been on here at all, hasn't it? It has also been a while since I have done such a summary of my impressions of a volume (I think I forgot to do one for NT11, and I can't remember if I did one for NT10 so hung up on the ending I was). Time to rectify this.

My note: 8,5/10, very good, if not excellent.

At first, I thought it was going to be parallel to Old Testament 12, what with the similar setup (trip to a shopping mall, two protagonists, a magician making their move), and so, I went in expecting the first part of a major two-parter, but the actual story was better than that (though it still was the prelude of something major regardless). Plus, it's time to take a break from parters until the final arc.

And after the bitter aftertaste the end of NT 10 left me with and the mostly all right NT 11 (liked the concept, characters, and story, disliked the resolution), the upping in plot quality was pleasantly welcome for me:
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And completely unrelated, we finally entered December in-universe! About time, I thought the entire series would be endless November.
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!

Last edited by allfictions; 2015-03-27 at 16:44.
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 16:30   Link #1087
Flere821
Lurker

I'm still not convinced that Kanou was even capable of dealing the final blow to St Germain, he didn't have hax like Touma or Accelerator. All that characterization growth aside, it seemed like this development was ham-fisted through more because the plot demanded it than because it made any sense.

Also, I dunno about others, but I'm getting tired of the hype train of 'OMG more Magic Gods! And a true Science VS Magic conflict!' when the actual writing seemed a bit lack-lustre. Not that the MGs getting worfed to show Aleister was still a threat was bad, per se, they didn't have enough characterization to be anything else other than feeding a established character *points at when Thor solo-ed the rest of Gremlin for the right to fight Touma*
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 18:12   Link #1088
Ap1001
Shikigami of the sages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I'm still not convinced that Kanou was even capable of dealing the final blow to St Germain, he didn't have hax like Touma or Accelerator. All that characterization growth aside, it seemed like this development was ham-fisted through more because the plot demanded it than because it made any sense.

Also, I dunno about others, but I'm getting tired of the hype train of 'OMG more Magic Gods! And a true Science VS Magic conflict!' when the actual writing seemed a bit lack-lustre. Not that the MGs getting worfed to show Aleister was still a threat was bad, per se, they didn't have enough characterization to be anything else other than feeding a established character *points at when Thor solo-ed the rest of Gremlin for the right to fight Touma*
In typical Kamachi fashion, if the character gets a pic of them show and isn't dead in 1 vol, they typically gets more part later on, but he is hitting the mark where there is too much going on and may need to split out more side-works for fleshing out. Frankly, this volume is filler, so I don't hold that much against him (other than the fact he is writing a filler), but then again Kamachi's writing was never consistent in quality in the first place.
Old 2015-03-27, 18:20   Link #1089
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

He simply punched a woman who was without any supernatural physical feats, theres nothing that needed any hax powers.

And yeah guys lets just ignore the fact that previous volumes are always brought up later to be more important in some than presented
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 18:29   Link #1090
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allfictions
Anyway, leading me to my fourth point, 'Aihana Etsu'/Kanou Shinka, the tritagonist. He felt more like a plot device to move the story along than a real character: the parallel between the numerous false Aihana Etsu and St. Germain, his relationship with Frenda, him being the wielder of Queen Anne's shield (one of the biggest red herring this volume) as part of St. Germain's plan, I really didn't feel it was part of him being part of the story, but just events that needs to happen to tell the story, like how St. Germain could have told his backstory to anyone and it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe it's because we didn't get most of his backstory. I didn't dislike him either though (him buying Touma time by diverting the St. Germains was really cool), but unfortunately his presence made me lower my note. There were some weird shotacon-like descriptions of him by Kamachi though (why the hell focus on his scent!?).
It's been long, welcome.

Good thing I'm not the only one who thinks that.

A Song of Ice and Fire?

Quote:

Remember NT8 when I called bullshit at off screened Gremlin's members?

I got used to his irregular writing so I wouldn't be surprised if in one volume we have yet more magic gods but get wrecked off screen by someone else playing some kind of reverse The Worf Effect ...

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 20:16   Link #1091
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

I really loved the epilogue. I did find it strange that Aleister would confront the Magic Gods in NT10 only to lose, but it turned out he was actually one step ahead of them all along.

Those Majin were way too arrogant. You could tell from NT10 that they were looking down on Aleister, but I hadn't expected them to underestimate him to the point where they actually believed he, who was able to penetrate their supposedly unreachable hiding spot, couldn't possibly cause them harm. They paid dearly for their hubris. That said, judging from his claims, Aleister is now making the same mistake. He may have defeated the Zombie, but now that they view him as an actual threat rather than an annoyance, the Magic Gods are bound to up their game. Also, neither side seems to be paying Laura enough attention, which might come back to bite them both later.

Either way, love it or hate it, you have to admit that whatever it is Aleister did to them was almost definitely necessary if Touma is going to stand a chance against the Magic Gods in their future encounters. Niang-Niang already pointed this out, but their supposed "nerf" from dividing up their power infinitely isn't really that much of a limitation. There's no point in increasing your attack when you can already one-shot any enemy who stands in your way. There's no point in increasing your defense when you already take no damage from any attack. When fighting a foe with stats in the hundreds, stats in the millions might as well be infinite. If anything, the fact that the spell they used also gave them extra lives actually made them harder to defeat, since supposedly even an anti-Magic God spell like the Fairy Spell would only take away one of their lives. Without giving them an actual, bona-fide weakness, Touma wouldn't last a minute.

Crack Theory: Niang-Niang has been described as a Chinese Jiangshi. In other words, a hopping vampire. She will be defeated by Himegami Aisa.
Old 2015-03-27, 20:34   Link #1092
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom_Paperclip View Post
I really loved the epilogue. I did find it strange that Aleister would confront the Magic Gods in NT10 only to lose, but it turned out he was actually one step ahead of them all along.

Those Majin were way too arrogant. You could tell from NT10 that they were looking down on Aleister, but I hadn't expected them to underestimate him to the point where they actually believed he, who was able to penetrate their supposedly unreachable hiding spot, couldn't possibly cause them harm. They paid dearly for their hubris. That said, judging from his claims, Aleister is now making the same mistake. He may have defeated the Zombie, but now that they view him as an actual threat rather than an annoyance, the Magic Gods are bound to up their game. Also, neither side seems to be paying Laura enough attention, which might come back to bite them both later.

Either way, love it or hate it, you have to admit that whatever it is Aleister did to them was almost definitely necessary if Touma is going to stand a chance against the Magic Gods in their future encounters. Niang-Niang already pointed this out, but their supposed "nerf" from dividing up their power infinitely isn't really that much of a limitation. There's no point in increasing your attack when you can already one-shot any enemy who stands in your way. There's no point in increasing your defense when you already take no damage from any attack. When fighting a foe with stats in the hundreds, stats in the millions might as well be infinite. If anything, the fact that the spell they used also gave them extra lives actually made them harder to defeat, since supposedly even an anti-Magic God spell like the Fairy Spell would only take away one of their lives. Without giving them an actual, bona-fide weakness, Touma wouldn't last a minute.

Crack Theory: Niang-Niang has been described as a Chinese Jiangshi. In other words, a hopping vampire. She will be defeated by Himegami Aisa.
I wish we could've seen Othinus remember that they forgot to buy the house.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 20:46   Link #1093
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
She is dead, Jim.
Old 2015-03-27, 20:50   Link #1094
LazyHunter

Quote:

The Magic Gods were obviously going to suffer for ignoring Aleister as a threat and calling him "just a human". Aleister did hijack their nerfing spell and said that he inputted new parameters as he wished. Also, the three of them felt an object pierce their chest which sounds similar to the Fairy Spell stake used on Othinus and Ollerus. They probably will need to deal with that before doing anything else, maybe get the help of any of the other Gremlin members.

That's something that needs to be explained in a future volume. How did Noukan got the zombie girl Magic God and where are the others? If the nerfing spell was because they were forced to come to the real world and abandon their hidden phase were they all under the nerfing spell in Earth and it was just this three the ones who appeared in AC? Because if they were all using the nerfing spell Aleister got them all in one move.

And both Magic Gods and Aleister should probably be wary of Laura but as we have seen the chesmaster manipulator types have a tendency to believe they are the smartest person around. Arrogance brought down the Magic Gods a peg and it will probably be part of Aleister's downfall too.
Quote:
I've seen other people who made this mistake. While Haimura said the design was inspired by Hsien-ko the novel clearly states that Niang-Niang is a Shijie-Xian in the prologue while describing the Magic Gods.

Here a previous post where I explain what it is and note that Chinese Xians had already been mentioned before in the Norse SS: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...59#post5463759

Last edited by LazyHunter; 2015-03-27 at 21:03.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 20:59   Link #1095
Ap1001
Shikigami of the sages

Jiangshi is NOT a hopping vampire, that is just a cultural misunderstanding. But niangniang is a shikaisen in the first place, I have no idea why Haimura draw her as a jiangshi.

It would be funny, if right after Aleister backstabs the magic god, Laura backstab him, and then Laura gets backstabbed by the magic gods. Would make one entertaining cluster mess.
Old 2015-03-27, 21:05   Link #1096
Miraluka
Banned

I'm expecting next volumes a helplesss girl and boy running away from danger Touma steps in and saves them from whatever curse they suffer.

And then those 2 just so happen to be Priest and Mummy at the epilogue
Old 2015-03-27, 22:58   Link #1097
DragonXX

We know that Crowley had nerf the three Magic Gods who came AC but are the three Magic Gods and the dead one Zombie are they the only one and if not I don't think the other would fall for the same trick the three of them fell for so Crowley may have to change his attack to something different or put them in a place were thet can't do anything but be hit. Most likey the Magic God will find Magic cabels that use the same religion as them to have work under them because their next move would be to regain the power they just lost by Crowley attack.

I think the final enemy that Tomua will have to fight in Magic Gods Arc would be a full power True Magic God. What do you think will be Tomua final enemy in the Magic Gods Arc would be?

I think it will be a Full Power High Priest or a being that is greater then the Magic Gods full power.

I am ust guessing but I think Accel will be getting a lead role in a light novel coming soon

Last edited by DragonXX; 2015-03-27 at 23:23.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 23:30   Link #1098
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Well once again this was my favorite volume in this series... though I'll agree with others that Kanou Shinka could have gotten more focus in the Epilogue with Touma.

I do have to say though that I disagree with comments other people have made which claim that he didn't feel like a real character.

I felt completely opposite to that as soon as we saw the glimpse of the real #6 in the epilogue. Given that what happened to Kanou was basically completely orchestrated by the #6... what happened to him... was just part of something planned to make him solve his own problem... which relieves the burden of him being the driving force behind his own character growth. If it was mostly planned out by other forces... then that problem goes away in my eyes.

Furthermore, the final punch to Saint Germain only needed to be a normal physical punch... given that Saint Germain was already rather mentally phased by that point. Kanou Shinka isn't THAT weak even if he is usually a coward.

I also think that Kamachi is so unused to having other new main guy characters (that are regular humans) that he tried to give Kanou female characteristics.

Also, one other comment which will either make people ignore the rest of this post or that they will just generally ignore:

Misaka IS a main character. I've always considered her one of the five main characters in this series. Don't get me wrong, I consider most of the characters as being relevant, but for me Misaka since the Sisters arc and since getting her own Spin-off named after her, basically became one of the most major in-universe characters.

People really shouldn't complain about her getting exposed more than other characters. I do agree that Misaki is almost reaching the point of being loved as if she were a main character and she very well could become one in the near future because of her interactions with Misaka. And the same applies to Noukan for me (Noukan is the best Kihara ever.... please become a protagonist.... )

But, in the end, I consider Mikoto to be a main character... so complaining about her appearing in every volume is like complaining about Touma, Accelerator, Index, and Hamazura appearing in a volume.

And I DO understand that when she is shoehorned into the plot without the plot/story being based around her, then complaints can indeed be made... and I can sympathize... but regardless of those facts... when an arc is to put her specifically in the spotlight... then I can't help but be excited... because she's a freaking MAIN character.

There is way too much Mikoto hate on these forums.

I'll give a review about this volume later on, since it was my favorite volume yet...

Incidentally... my favorite part of this volume was not the epilogue... and it wasn't the afterward... and even though chapter 3 was simply amazing... my favorite part was the between the lines part in chapter 3... we finally got an explanation of the seven original Kiharas... and Kihara Noukan. THAT was the best part of this volume for me, hands down.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 00:20   Link #1099
natchu96

Quote:
I'm still not convinced that Kanou was even capable of dealing the final blow to St Germain, he didn't have hax like Touma or Accelerator.
Hax is needed to suckerpunch someone in the face while they're fighting a different person?
natchu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-28, 01:04   Link #1100
The One Above God
Kamijou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Well once again this was my favorite volume in this series... though I'll agree with others that Kanou Shinka could have gotten more focus in the Epilogue with Touma.

I do have to say though that I disagree with comments other people have made which claim that he didn't feel like a real character.

I felt completely opposite to that as soon as we saw the glimpse of the real #6 in the epilogue. Given that what happened to Kanou was basically completely orchestrated by the #6... what happened to him... was just part of something planned to make him solve his own problem... which relieves the burden of him being the driving force behind his own character growth. If it was mostly planned out by other forces... then that problem goes away in my eyes.

Furthermore, the final punch to Saint Germain only needed to be a normal physical punch... given that Saint Germain was already rather mentally phased by that point. Kanou Shinka isn't THAT weak even if he is usually a coward.

I also think that Kamachi is so unused to having other new main guy characters (that are regular humans) that he tried to give Kanou female characteristics.

Also, one other comment which will either make people ignore the rest of this post or that they will just generally ignore:

Misaka IS a main character. I've always considered her one of the five main characters in this series. Don't get me wrong, I consider most of the characters as being relevant, but for me Misaka since the Sisters arc and since getting her own Spin-off named after her, basically became one of the most major in-universe characters.

People really shouldn't complain about her getting exposed more than other characters. I do agree that Misaki is almost reaching the point of being loved as if she were a main character and she very well could become one in the near future because of her interactions with Misaka. And the same applies to Noukan for me (Noukan is the best Kihara ever.... please become a protagonist.... )

But, in the end, I consider Mikoto to be a main character... so complaining about her appearing in every volume is like complaining about Touma, Accelerator, Index, and Hamazura appearing in a volume.

And I DO understand that when she is shoehorned into the plot without the plot/story being based around her, then complaints can indeed be made... and I can sympathize... but regardless of those facts... when an arc is to put her specifically in the spotlight... then I can't help but be excited... because she's a freaking MAIN character.

There is way too much Mikoto hate on these forums.

I'll give a review about this volume later on, since it was my favorite volume yet...

Incidentally... my favorite part of this volume was not the epilogue... and it wasn't the afterward... and even though chapter 3 was simply amazing... my favorite part was the between the lines part in chapter 3... we finally got an explanation of the seven original Kiharas... and Kihara Noukan. THAT was the best part of this volume for me, hands down.
Pretty much all parts that involved Noukan in this volume are awesome .

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote