AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-02-17, 12:22   Link #1081
Znail

It's not that strange, he makes the mistake that without a strong noble caste so is the country just full of useless peasants. But Japan or most part of EU would rather be considered to be full of nobles from his perspective. That is because everyone has access to higher education, are thus knowledgeable and knowledge is power. Medival peasants also tends to be stunted in growth due to lack of proper food all the time.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 14:25   Link #1082
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Well even tho this will cause major diplomatic problems, I kinda liked how Itami just snapped and hit him one. Shame Rori isnt around, I am sure she'd get high seeing Itami like that O_o

*edit*

The king also seemed alot more welcoming than I thought he would be?
Thing is, Itami's action can have diplomatic consequences, whereas Rori's would be LITERALLY "act of God".
Yeah, too bad she wasn't there, or the prince would have been mince meat, and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it since it's simply divine punishment.
Old 2014-02-17, 21:09   Link #1083
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
I'm not inferring that the United States is going to attack Japan; I have just been noting that in reality, the JSDF wouldn't have been the only ones that went through the gate. Under existing treaty, nothing would have stopped the United States from deploying along side with the JSDF in the initial incursion through the gate, back when they were unsure what was really on the other side, nor would it have stop the US from establishing at least a minor observation force along side the JSDF expeditionary force.

Even afterwards, there is plenty of precedence for the United States to deploy across the gate without resorting to overt coercion, even if Japan wanted to keep the land across the gate to itself. Right now, Japan is using her treaty with the United States to get the US fleet to interfere in their island debacle with China; such things could go both ways. However, the author is admittedly and understandably rather Japancentric; such things would be a lot more complex in reality.
Taking the side of the author as a devil's advocate, I find it intelligent of the in-verse US to not take action. Of course they can and they probably would IRL, but then it would cause more problems than it would solve. We all know how aggressive China is in terms of territory and resources, and Russia would like to have some piece of the pie as well. That's why USA not taking action and treating it like Japan's problem to solve would be more economically savvy and raises less eyebrows than it would have had it participated and strong-armed its way into the Gate. It's also a better diplomatic move to just stand back and supply arms to the JSDF, because if Japan would request help then they would be more lenient towards the USA if the Americans do a misstep.

However, I DO think that the US would have forced its way into Ginza and spearheaded the Alnus project, as well as send a shitton of scientists, archaeologists, news outlets, and Nat Geo representatives through the Gate as well.

Sending spies into it would be my first thought as soon as the first invasion into Ginza was successfully repelled.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 01:53   Link #1084
Fwarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Thing is, Itami's action can have diplomatic consequences, whereas Rori's would be LITERALLY "act of God".
No, it won't, if Itami do it properly. He can just make the empire and the prince stop breathing, announce the earthquake caused it and make Pina the empress.
Old 2014-02-18, 02:47   Link #1085
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Check again, for as long as I can't remember the king hasn't been welcoming at all to the people from the other world; he even stated some chapters ago that he was relying on his stupid son to somehow hamper the peace talks with Japan.
Sorta what I mean... Previously hes been acting like a Tyrant. Now that Pina showed up with Itami and a few JSDF, hes being awfully kind to them.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 04:56   Link #1086
LystAP

Quote:
Sorta what I mean... Previously hes been acting like a Tyrant. Now that Pina showed up with Itami and a few JSDF, hes being awfully kind to them.
He talked about Japan's emperor, and that he heard that much of the emperor authority was removed by the people; that's why he didn't take Japan seriously when he ordered the Empire's armies through the gate.

If I recalled correctly, the Japanese people didn't really do that by themselves; the United States did that, when we occupied Japan after WWII. Not that it matters in this case. (Source: Under Democratization; (It) transferred sovereignty from the Emperor to the people in an attempt to depoliticize the Throne and reduce it to the status of a state symbol.)

Last edited by LystAP; 2014-02-23 at 21:52. Reason: Source
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 05:33   Link #1087
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
He talked about Japan's emperor, and that he heard that much of the emperor authority was removed by the people; that's why he didn't take Japan seriously when he ordered the Empire's armies through the gate.

If I recalled correctly, the Japanese people didn't really do that by themselves; the United States did that, when we occupied Japan after WWII. Not that it matters in this case.
The Japanese Emperor became a figurehead with no political power centuries before the modern times, and stayed that way the entire history.
Even the Meiji restoration served as nothing but a ruse and for show, the Emperor continued to be a mere figurehead.

Last edited by aohige; 2014-02-18 at 05:44.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 09:08   Link #1088
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
Taking the side of the author as a devil's advocate, I find it intelligent of the in-verse US to not take action. Of course they can and they probably would IRL, but then it would cause more problems than it would solve. We all know how aggressive China is in terms of territory and resources, and Russia would like to have some piece of the pie as well. That's why USA not taking action and treating it like Japan's problem to solve would be more economically savvy and raises less eyebrows than it would have had it participated and strong-armed its way into the Gate. It's also a better diplomatic move to just stand back and supply arms to the JSDF, because if Japan would request help then they would be more lenient towards the USA if the Americans do a misstep.

However, I DO think that the US would have forced its way into Ginza and spearheaded the Alnus project, as well as send a shitton of scientists, archaeologists, news outlets, and Nat Geo representatives through the Gate as well.

Sending spies into it would be my first thought as soon as the first invasion into Ginza was successfully repelled.
If the US wanted to go through the Gate they can explain that the world on the other side is a new world. And whenever Japan sends someone to the other side they would be representing all of Earth's humanity. Having only Japanese representing the humanity of Earth would send a wrong message...

Quote:
It's more like he's being polite.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 07:27   Link #1089
Breimoon

new ch raw is out, quite nice. It is a pity they didn't show yet the best part(see the ending and you will understand)
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 11:11   Link #1090
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for c34 raw:
Old 2014-02-27, 15:14   Link #1091
Pesti13nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Spoiler for c34 raw:
Can't wait for it to get to translated REALLY can't wait for the prince to get his.
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 23:22   Link #1092
Top Sergeant

A woman after my own heart: she can use a BAYONET! Yeah!! What a beautiful fight.

And that last page was AWESOME lol.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 06:20   Link #1093
Lutz2

Well a really interesting Chapter, does the JSDF still have Bayonet-Training? Because Kuri fight really like a Pro in this Chapter.

And i think there are no difference between Kuri and Rory anymore , both of them like fighting and become Sexual errectet of this xD.
Lutz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 07:25   Link #1094
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The USMC does have bayonet training (not sure if it's part of the curriculum, but I've seen Marines spar against one another with bayonet-affixed rifles) and if my memory doesn't cheat me, Army Rangers students even learn to fight with their assault rifles as if they were sticks/poles to fend off assailants. And bayonet charges still do happen even to this day - there was Sarajevo's Vrbanja bridge in the 1990s and the Battle of Danny Boy in Al Amara (Iraq), in 2004, where Western troops successfully used bayonets and close combat techniques against (respectively) Serbian soldiers and Mahdi Army insurgents.

I assume this is still part of basic combat training in the JSDF.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-02-28 at 13:59.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 07:28   Link #1095
Awrya
U mad?

Spoiler for Ch.34:
Old 2014-02-28, 08:15   Link #1096
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

my god 34 was awesome!! cant wait for the trans ^^, though the pics tell the whole story already lmfao
Old 2014-03-01, 01:55   Link #1097
ZeKeR
Superbad

upon seeing 34....

I gotta wonder.... just how much stopping power does the 7.62x51 NATO deliver to plate armor since they look like just standard trooper and not the really heavy and armored royal guard like the old Papal Guard in Italy.

also, that bayonet movement reminds me of a mix of both the offensive bayonet of the IJA Arisaka rifle as well as the M1 Garand counters.

and anachronism aside, will the whole "bullets = does not compute" scare still pops up?
Old 2014-03-01, 02:14   Link #1098
Pesti13nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
upon seeing 34....

I gotta wonder.... just how much stopping power does the 7.62x51 NATO deliver to plate armor since they look like just standard trooper and not the really heavy and armored royal guard like the old Papal Guard in Italy.

also, that bayonet movement reminds me of a mix of both the offensive bayonet of the IJA Arisaka rifle as well as the M1 Garand counters.

and anachronism aside, will the whole "bullets = does not compute" scare still pops up?

Dude... waaaay to technical. ..
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 02:19   Link #1099
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
upon seeing 34....

You do realize the Roman scutum is actually made of three sheets of wood glued together and covered with colored leather? The only things that are in metal on the front side are the stylized umbo (a boss) and spindle, right at the center of the shield, and those should only be a few millimeters thick in order to make the overall weapon light and maneuverable. The scutum itself was estimated (according to a few surviving examples) to be at least 10kg heavy and 5-6mm thick.

So yeah, a 7.62x51mm/.308 should be able to punch through, if it's an armor-piercing (tungsten-tipped) model.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-03-01 at 02:59.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 03:58   Link #1100
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesti13nce View Post
Dude... waaaay to technical. ..
psst..he does know this is a manga right?

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction