AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2018-10-16, 00:58   Link #1061
LG-MAX 2.o

Is it true that Volume 9 will now be out in December?
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 02:53   Link #1062
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
But isn't that goblin quest pay peanut? He would need to take a lot of quests non-stop for this kind of wealth.
You are correct, and he's been slaying goblins nonstop for 5 years. And he did it solo with cheap weapons and equipment.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 05:21   Link #1063
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Didn't Volume 8 just come out?
Old 2018-10-16, 09:35   Link #1064
haseo0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack83 View Post
You are correct, and he's been slaying goblins nonstop for 5 years. And he did it solo with cheap weapons and equipment.
Goblin is a Terminator for Goblins, he barely rest in his personal quest to exterminate every single one of them. It's no wonder he's silver rank with that battle experince he has.
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 11:08   Link #1065
Tenzen12

Of course he take breaks like everyone else... as long as there are no goblin slaying quests... or birthday nearby... or farm work... probably.
Old 2018-10-16, 11:57   Link #1066
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

OT, but worth sharing I suppose.

Y'know the criticism towards the Goblin Slayer anime is ridiculous when Gigguk makes a video poking fun at it.

I remember the days when people didn't even bat an eyelash at rape scenes. Back in 2013 when the infamous episode 10 of Valvrave went down, sure there was controversy, but it didn't blow up like how GS did. People actually poked fun at it, but in 2018, you can offend some people just by looking at them tbh. If that's the case, they better not animate Dead Tube because it'll cause riots.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 14:14   Link #1067
Twi

Valvrave suffered for it because it was out of place and got that series canned early, if I remember right. More importantly, it never again showed up and I think they outright admitted they added it in for shock value. It's telling that by the end of the series most people went back to Haruto x Saki given what happened by the end....
Old 2018-10-16, 15:13   Link #1068
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

I wasn't looking at it from a business perspective. In that case, yea. The rape scene did hurt VVV and may have been a contributing factor in why it didn't become a franchise or have a longer run.

I was looking specifically at viewer reception when I made the comparison. Sure some viewers were uncomfortable/bothered by it, but the reactions were much more subdued compared to the kinda flak GS is getting. Hell, I even remember seeing people make memes outta it. It isn't even that graphic either. So Idk why people are reacting the way they are towards it.

Anyway, I'll end it with this post. Don't want to stray too far off-topic after all.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2018-10-16, 15:20   Link #1069
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Just to add a comment on that subject: you have to keep in mind that people are much more touchy on that kind of subject nowadays, due to how social awareness (or whatever you want to call it) is on the rise with a lot of controversies. That and anime visibility at large is more and more mainstream in the west. I'm pretty certain that if Berserk and GS swapped their respective release timeframe, Berserk would have been roasted left and right by the same people.
Old 2018-10-16, 15:26   Link #1070
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Valvrave suffered for it because it was out of place and got that series canned early, if I remember right. More importantly, it never again showed up and I think they outright admitted they added it in for shock value. It's telling that by the end of the series most people went back to Haruto x Saki given what happened by the end....
Canned early? It got secound cour and given first was pretty self-contained they probably wouldn't have to (actually I don't know if I dropped it in first cour or between cours, so maybe I am just spouting nonsense.)

Well, but as far as I remember ov that scene brought out far more jokes then flames of justice. Valrape was one big joke anyway and people knew it.
Old 2018-10-16, 16:22   Link #1071
Twi

Second cour followed right after the first one and had several sequences where they were hinting at building an empire. But the world was that because the scene was so controversial it took a major hit and canned any plans for a season 3, which is probably why it ended the way it did.

Time frame probably does play a factor in western culture though. Anime wasn't this popular even five years ago, and Cruncyroll's error didn't help.
Old 2018-10-16, 16:40   Link #1072
Tenzen12

I checked it and it between ep12 and 13 there was whole cour break and I seriously doubt they planned third season given not even much more popular Code Geas got it until recently.

It should be probably noted that Valvrape simply wasn't good and removing one scene (no matter how untasteful) wouldn't save it anyway.
Old 2018-10-16, 18:21   Link #1073
Questman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
While I don't say eitherway. Guild guirl don't buy HEAs proclamation of non-interest and same case seems to be HEAs sister (based on second hand information only). It may be nothing, but maybe they know her well enough to judge.

That's the problem, it MAY be nothing. Or MAYBE not.

There are certainly hints here and there, but I really need to see something from HEA that makes you and me say: 'okay, she obviously has a crush on him'.

Guild Girl, Cow Girl and Swordmaiden are obvious because they took some action that makes their interest in GS undeniable. Asking for a date, blushing heavily or telling coworkers you like someone is pretty clear.
You need to live in absolute denial to not see it.

I still miss similar actions from Priestess or HEA. They care for him but they don't pursue him. They are just too passive up to volume 5.
I can't work with 'could be or maybe', I really need to see some clear action, a blush, jealousy or asking GS out to something.

There might be more signs in later volumes, but I need to read them first.

It does not help that the author probably keeps possible relationships vague on purpose to make us more invested.
It even works on me to a certain degree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
According to Hata, yes.

We assume the publisher wants to use the anime and the increased awareness it brings to sell more books as much as possible.

So they make an exception in their schedule and release volume 9 to benefit from the increased awareness the anime brings to Goblin Slayer, which has to be done quick since the anime only has 12 episodes.

And it does seem to work, since Amazon sold out on some regions since the anime aired.

Don't get used to the quick release though. It is only a one time thing due to the anime probably, after that we have to wait for the usual 6 months again.

Last edited by LKK; 2018-10-17 at 09:24. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use the Edit button instead.
Questman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 19:30   Link #1074
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^Double posting isn't allowed my dude. You're only allowed to double post if 24 hrs have passed and there were no new responses since your last post.

You can multi-quote posts by clicking "+quote" on the first post (or how much ever you intend to quote) and then clicking "quote" on the last post that you intend to quote. As a result, you'll quote all posts in one reply instead of having separate replies to each post.
Old 2018-10-16, 20:42   Link #1075
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post

It should be probably noted that Valvrape simply wasn't good and removing one scene (no matter how untasteful) wouldn't save it anyway.
Yeah, that's true.

On-topic, while I am pleased that there might be an early volume release, I am worried that the quality may drop because its rushed.
Old 2018-10-16, 23:39   Link #1076
nyoronyolo
Would-be Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Just to add a comment on that subject: you have to keep in mind that people are much more touchy on that kind of subject nowadays, due to how social awareness (or whatever you want to call it) is on the rise with a lot of controversies. That and anime visibility at large is more and more mainstream in the west. I'm pretty certain that if Berserk and GS swapped their respective release timeframe, Berserk would have been roasted left and right by the same people.
I'd like to nuance the last part; I think a part of the Goblin Slayer backlash is not that it contains rape per se but that the wrong audience is watching it in the first place.
It may have to do with the character-design and lack of visual cues in the promotional material that would indicate that it is not as upbeat as more commonly found adventure/fantasy stuff.

Berserk on the other hand has designs that already sets the tone and would deter a lot of people from checking the contents in the first place.
Of course if they did check, they would vomit all the disgust they felt from it but then it would be a very predictable outcome and people would surely be keener to call them out on this.

That being said, I do agree that anime being more accepted outside of traditional subculture circles combined with the current social atmosphere in the West, especially in some cultures subsets, is not helping and Goblin Slayer is an easy target for social propaganda as well.
But then it is also a case of double standards being applied as some popular western series featuring violent sexual imagery (of various levels, lighter, same level, worse... all depending on one's perspective), are not met with the same kind of outcry for what it's worth.
Old 2018-10-17, 05:50   Link #1077
Mediconsite99

Can we stop talking about those haters? They're not worth the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Yeah, that's true.

On-topic, while I am pleased that there might be an early volume release, I am worried that the quality may drop because its rushed.
I think I've read somewhere in this thread that the author is a kamachi(index) type of author, so the amazingly fast work is likely possible (this guy's editors are lucky)

Btw about the early volume release news anyone have the links? Does it have illustrations already?
Mediconsite99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 10:47   Link #1078
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questman View Post
That's the problem, it MAY be nothing. Or MAYBE not.

There are certainly hints here and there, but I really need to see something from HEA that makes you and me say: 'okay, she obviously has a crush on him'.

Guild Girl, Cow Girl and Swordmaiden are obvious because they took some action that makes their interest in GS undeniable. Asking for a date, blushing heavily or telling coworkers you like someone is pretty clear.
You need to live in absolute denial to not see it.

I still miss similar actions from Priestess or HEA. They care for him but they don't pursue him. They are just too passive up to volume 5.
I can't work with 'could be or maybe', I really need to see some clear action, a blush, jealousy or asking GS out to something.

There might be more signs in later volumes, but I need to read them first.

It does not help that the author probably keeps possible relationships vague on purpose to make us more invested.
It even works on me to a certain degree...
And that's completely fine, I was addressing @Kashiakari comment claiming that HEA and Priestess "are practically confirmed not being interested"
Old 2018-10-17, 12:01   Link #1079
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I never said Priestess is not interested. More like she doesn't even understand her feelings, and the narration is very ambiguous in that regard.
Meanwhile, HEA herself rebuke any allegation about romantic feelings for GS, and that's without the usual flustered/not honest reaction, but instead snappy remarks. Hell, she never show any hint of jealousy for other girls. She even teases GG about that.

Can that change later on? Maybe. But right now, HEA didn't express any serious interest in GS nor did she feel any kind of uneasiness or jealousy towards other girls for 5 volumes straight and none of the spoilers for vol 6-7-8 hint that. The main reaction from her is that she wants GS to enjoy adventures, because that's her vision of an adventurer, and she is not liking the fact GS is like a machine.
Old 2018-10-17, 14:11   Link #1080
Tenzen12

Well, that's much better answer. I have nothing to rebuke.

Tags
d&d, fantasy, harem?