Cover of Gaiden vol 2 for November.

https://twitter.com/GoblinSlayer_GA/...26413732933632
Kiyoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 20:33   Link #1042
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVision View Post
Okay something that really bothers me about this story. Why does every pretty girl want to fuck him? I get that he is a dutiful individual who is reliable, but the only one whose interest makes sense is Cow Girl (why isn't she just called 'Ranch Girl'). Every other girl shows some sort of interest in him and it gets distracting especially since it comes across as unprofessional, the Guild Girl in particular. This series could have worked just fine without this pseudo harem bent.
Guild Girl developed a crush due to the difference between him and the ogling arseholes she had to deal with as well as the fact that he's actively dealing with the goblin issue she can't get anyone else to care about.

Preistess is initially following him because she's lost her way and wants to somehow deal with her trauma. And later on that combines with admiration and genuine fondness to form her attraction to him.

Sword Maiden basically sees him as her white knight (irony is noted) because he kills what she fears more than death, and thinking of him chases away the nightmares.

Cow Girl as you stated is obvious.

The others aren't. Magician likes Spearman, Female Knight likes Heavy Soldier, HEA isnt interested romantically, and iirc the noble girl has a crush....on the Preistess.
Old 2018-10-13, 20:39   Link #1043
bakato

Quote:
Okay something that really bothers me about this story. Why does every pretty girl want to fuck him? I get that he is a dutiful individual who is reliable, but the only one whose interest makes sense is Cow Girl (why isn't she just called 'Ranch Girl'). Every other girl shows some sort of interest in him and it gets distracting especially since it comes across as unprofessional, the Guild Girl in particular. This series could have worked just fine without this pseudo harem bent.
Who's every?
Old 2018-10-13, 22:42   Link #1044
Wheeljack83

Rookie Cleric and Female Knight don't want to fuck him...so that's BS.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 08:09   Link #1045
Chaserjacksaw
Outer God of Insomnia

Location: ..what is here?...W where is this?!?.... Who Em I!!!???~
Its funny to see the difference of arguments in anime and to those who read LN & manga.

Anime community = oh no this is digusting, soooo dark this a bad show only bad people watch this, this must get cancel like ASAP since its sooo bad!!!

LN and Manga people = whoooo is the best waifu!!!! Let it be haaaaareeemm!! Or who are the girl who wants to have GS D!!!!!!
Chaserjacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 12:30   Link #1046
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaserjacksaw View Post
Its funny to see the difference of arguments in anime and to those who read LN & manga.

Anime community = oh no this is digusting, soooo dark this a bad show only bad people watch this, this must get cancel like ASAP since its sooo bad!!!

LN and Manga people = whoooo is the best waifu!!!! Let it be haaaaareeemm!! Or who are the girl who wants to have GS D!!!!!!
Accurate af. lol
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 13:34   Link #1047
Questman

Quote:

I will tell you a secret: People, exspecially women, can be interested in a person without having a crush on that person.
While it is true that Goblin Slayer has a lot of female attention, it is a far cry from 'everybody wants to fuck him'.
In all seriousness, you can say that about Infinite Stratos, Sword Art Online and many cheap isekai productions, but Goblinslayer is certainly not one of them.

I would even go as far as to say that GS even shows how group interaction is done right, as in women are not into you when they just say hello, they just say hello out of politeness, or they see you as a friend they care about WITHOUT having a crush on you.

In short, GS has a lot of attention, because he is a hardworking hero (as you said yourself), so it is natural that he gets female attention. But thats about it, he only has attention.
I have to think really hard to come up with just one or two examples that would support your claim.

Do you have examples why you think that Goblin Slayer devolves into a harem?
Questman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 06:15   Link #1048
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questman View Post
In short, GS has a lot of attention, because he is a hardworking hero (as you said yourself), so it is natural that he gets female attention. But thats about it, he only has attention.
I have to think really hard to come up with just one or two examples that would support your claim.

Do you have examples why you think that Goblin Slayer devolves into a harem?
The light novel confirmed at least 2-3 women are in love with him:
-Cow Girl: pretty much implied for a while, then confirmed in volume 3 during the harvest festival date
-Guild Girl: pretty much confirmed with Inspector and she even talks about rivals with the party members before asking GS for a date in volume 3
-Sword Maiden: volume 2 was explicit enough.

On the flip side, High Elf Archer pretty much confirmed she has no romantic interest, even when she was drunk. She just wants to have fun with him on adventures. Meanwhile, Priestess is kind of debatable because she doesn't even understand her feelings.

Any story with more than 2 romantic interests can be considered as a harem, but it doesn't mean it will follow the romcom harem pattern, depending how the story plays out.
Old 2018-10-15, 06:42   Link #1049
Twi

The closest thing to a RomCom was the date, and that took a backseat once plot kicked in. GS just isn't capable of reciprocating affection of that nature. Sword Maiden only appeared with him in two volumes counting the upcoming one. Cow Girl and Guild Girl are closer staples, but the women in question are the ones he's around the least when its time to go questing. High Elf Archer and Priestess have the most potential due to proximity, but as established the former doesn't see him in a romantic light and Priestess (as much as I love their bonding in Volume 2 with the ice cream) doesn't seem to be the type to be romantically inclined.
Old 2018-10-15, 09:29   Link #1050
Mediconsite99

Whether there's a harem or not, it's not of a major problem since the story is focused mostly on the adventure events. And even if there was harem(I don't think it'll pair well tho), at least its not cliche and unbearable. I admire Kagyu-sensei for this. I've never seen a plot so controlled that characters developments and events doesn't go out of bounds(by out of bounds you know that type that came flying out of nowhere). Everything on the plot is carefully laid out that there's little to no plot holes that would elicit that "wut?" feeling. The nameless characters were already a huge handicap but he played it well. With this display of writing skills, you can be assured that the author won't screw it up no matter which route is taken.

Already saving up for the next vol...

Last edited by Mediconsite99; 2018-10-15 at 09:31. Reason: Typos
Mediconsite99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 09:34   Link #1051
Sixth
Hu Tao

I just google the GS's Adventurer system...and wow, SILVER (3rd strongest) rank is actually something.

Maybe because I had been playing too many games where the SILVER is a scrub rank so when GS was revealed as Silver rank, I was like "meh", but now, damn...this is actually a freaking big deal.

No wonder Female Knight in earlier manga chapter feel annoyed that GS has the same rank with her.

And yes, I didn't pay attention to the adventurer system in the past.

By the way, did Silver rank got paid extra in every month or all source of income were come from completing the quest?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 09:41   Link #1052
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

All source of income comes from completing quests. Just like any freelancer job, Adventurers don't receive any steady income, so they have to work to sustain their daily life. The thing is that the guild will not allow any adventurer to take a specific quest if they don't fulfill the minimum requirement in term of party composition (so X number of adventurers at least rank Y).

That said, higher ranked adventurers get a better treatment when it comes to trade and commissions. A blacksmith will immediately comply to an emergency repair request from a silver adventurer, whereas he will put the lowest priority for a porcelain adventurer.
Old 2018-10-15, 10:02   Link #1053
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
All source of income comes from completing quests. Just like any freelancer job, Adventurers don't receive any steady income, so they have to work to sustain their daily life. The thing is that the guild will not allow any adventurer to take a specific quest if they don't fulfill the minimum requirement in term of party composition (so X number of adventurers at least rank Y).

That said, higher ranked adventurers get a better treatment when it comes to trade and commissions. A blacksmith will immediately comply to an emergency repair request from a silver adventurer, whereas he will put the lowest priority for a porcelain adventurer.
Hmmm..then how the hell GS managed to accumulate so many coins to pay the expensive rent for the low-class accommodation?
Old 2018-10-15, 10:08   Link #1054
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

GS usually works solo, which means that the quest rewards weren't split before he teamed up with Priestess. He also goes on goblin slaying even when Priestess isn't around (since she is still reporting to the Sister in charge of her and have other matters to attend to).

Additionally, GS equipment is rather low key on purpose, since he doesn't want to give advantage to the goblins if they managed to steal his equipments. Meanwhile, he doesn't hesitate scavenging weapons from dead goblins or adventurers. This drastically lower his expenses during adventures, and his skills also limit the use of potions etc. In comparison, a regular party would have to split the rewards among the members (usually 3-4), but also have more equipment maintenance.

In a nutshell, GS is highly efficient in term of maintenance cost, weapon usage, and keep doing the same thing over and over. You can call him a chinese farmer.
Old 2018-10-15, 10:11   Link #1055
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
GS usually works solo, which means that the quest rewards weren't split before he teamed up with Priestess. He also go on goblin slaying even when Priestess isn't free (since she is still reporting to the Sister in charge of her).

Additionally, GS equipment is rather low key on purpose, since he doesn't want to give advantage to the goblins if they managed to steal his equipments. Meanwhile, he doesn't hesitate scavenging weapons from dead goblins or adventurers. This drastically lower his expenses during adventures, and his skills also limit the use of potions etc. In comparison, a regular party would have to split the rewards among the members (usually 3-4), but also have more equipment maintenance.

In a nutshell, GS is highly efficient in term of maintenance cost, weapon usage, and keep doing the same thing over and over. You can call him a chinese farmer.
But isn't that goblin quest pay peanut? He would need to take a lot of quests non-stop for this kind of wealth.
Old 2018-10-15, 10:13   Link #1056
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It is peanut by adventurers standards since they always consider other expenses and splitting the rewards. The rent also cover food, whereas other adventurers would have to deal with taverns etc.

But yeah, GS also tends to clear like 2-3 goblin quests per day. He himself stated he got a lot of work when he gave that bag of coins to CG's uncle.
Old 2018-10-15, 10:57   Link #1057
Questman

The book states that goblin quests can give you a profit when you do them by yourself.
The reward is low when you have to plit it between partymembers, though.

To give you a practical example:

Let's say there is a goblin quest that pays you 100 fantasy bucks (I will shorten it to F$ ^^) when you complete it. The payout is 100F$.

If you do it by yourself, you alone will receive the full 100F$.
Let's say you have to repair some equipment, a task you can't skip because without equipment you are probably screwed, which costs roughly 15F$.
You still have 85F$ left you can use for other things.
If you do goblin quests frequently, like 3 times per day, you can amass roughly 250F$, which is pretty neat.
Combine this with the cost efficiency Klashikari mentioned and you have a high and stable income.

It changes though when you have to split the reward.
If you do the quest with a group of 4 people, you will receive 100F$ regardless, but now you have the problem that you have to split this reward between 4 people.
Instead of 100F$, you have now only 25F$ for yourself.
If you repair your equipment, which is damaged less because your party helped you out, you still pay 10F$ for repairs.
In the end you have only 15F$ for yourself instead of 85F$.
And if your party does 3 quests per day as well, you will only have about 40F$ per day.

It is a difference between 250F$ per day going solo and 40F$ per day with a party.

That is the rough logic why Goblin Slayer has money. Until recently he did all his quest by himself, so he had the opportunity to save up a lot.
The author explained it that way because Goblinslayer's battletactics are at times quite costly.
Mostly he fights with cheap equipment, but he has some special tools as well like a gate scroll, which costs a fortune, or a lot of special magic rings which he uses to breath underwater.
When he comes up with a plan, he often buys the required stuff on the fly while preparing the plan.

In short, Goblin Slayer has to be wealthy, otherwise he can't fuilfill his function as a hero properly when we see him sleep in the gutter due to poverty.
Moneystuff is a pacekiller, so the author took care of it that way.

Edit: I forgot to add while you can do quests on your own, it is considered suicide. Because of that no adventurerer really considers doing quests alone, therefore goblinquests are not worth their time.
Even Spearman, considered as one of the strongest silver tag guys, has at least one party member (the witch).

This fact adds more oddity to Goblin Slayer himself, because not only does he only goblin quests, he does them all alone, which is considered insane even by silver standarts.

Last edited by Questman; 2018-10-15 at 14:19.
Old 2018-10-15, 10:58   Link #1058
Twi

Plus, until Priestess came along he did it solo. If we use about 10 gold coins as basic cost for one Goblin Slaying mission, not including a nest, and he clears anywhere between 3-5 per visit, that's at least 30-50 per trip to the guild. Multiply that by the number of times he shows up for more quests, minus his relatively low-expense gear and supplies, and net profit.

Edit: Ninja'd.
Old 2018-10-15, 16:32   Link #1059
Questman

Quote:
The light novel confirmed at least 2-3 women are in love with him:
-Cow Girl: pretty much implied for a while, then confirmed in volume 3 during the harvest festival date
-Guild Girl: pretty much confirmed with Inspector and she even talks about rivals with the party members before asking GS for a date in volume 3
-Sword Maiden: volume 2 was explicit enough.

On the flip side, High Elf Archer pretty much confirmed she has no romantic interest, even when she was drunk. She just wants to have fun with him on adventures. Meanwhile, Priestess is kind of debatable because she doesn't even understand her feelings.

Any story with more than 2 romantic interests can be considered as a harem, but it doesn't mean it will follow the romcom harem pattern, depending how the story plays out.

To clarify my statement, I do not deny that Goblin Slayer has the affection of some women.

I want to point out that though he has a lot of attention, it is not on the same level you would see in other pure harem stories.

Or in simpler terms, three women liking Goblin Slayer is NOT 'everyone loves him'.
I have the impression that people have a hard time understanding the difference.
Women have a crush here and there, but it is not like Sword Art Online where 'everyone' is fawning over the maincast the moment he just glances at their direction.

The question is not if there is a harem, but rather if a possible harem development will ruin the story. I say no, for two reasons:

1. It is not the mainpoint until now. We have over 8 books already, and it never happend to such an extent that it would ruin the story. GS mainly kills goblins, and it did not change.

2. The more important reason why the story will stay good is that the author can handle it. We do have three women who love GS, and even more who gives GS a lot of attention, but it never felt stupid to me (okay, there are one or two exceptions, but this is like 3% maybe). And that is the trick, he can write it in a way that I can still believe the development, the characters and the story without the awefulness I usually get when I see stuff like Danmachi or Isekai Maō to Shōkan. Isekai Mao exspecially is just wishfulfillment trash.
The author showed competence that he can handle it, and after 8+ books I am willing to trust him that he can pull it off until the end.

And to further clarify, I don't despise harem per se, I hate it how other authors handle it. 10 women and girls loving a bland boring nobody out of nowhere makes me cringe.
And as long the author of Goblin Slayer does not do the same, but instead keeps the quality, I have no problem.
If he can write it well and explain enough how feelings developed into love, then GS can have his harem. Everything is possible as long the development does not feel stupid.

Though I do prefer an end where he makes a choice and picks a woman, because a harem just makes no sense. I think the author will not pursue a harem, since it does not fit in the story anyway.
Therefore I will take the liberty to end the topic for myself. It has been explained more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The closest thing to a RomCom was the date, and that took a backseat once plot kicked in. GS just isn't capable of reciprocating affection of that nature. Sword Maiden only appeared with him in two volumes counting the upcoming one. Cow Girl and Guild Girl are closer staples, but the women in question are the ones he's around the least when its time to go questing. High Elf Archer and Priestess have the most potential due to proximity, but as established the former doesn't see him in a romantic light and Priestess (as much as I love their bonding in Volume 2 with the ice cream) doesn't seem to be the type to be romantically inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediconsite99 View Post
Whether there's a harem or not, it's not of a major problem since the story is focused mostly on the adventure events. And even if there was harem(I don't think it'll pair well tho), at least its not cliche and unbearable. I admire Kagyu-sensei for this. I've never seen a plot so controlled that characters developments and events doesn't go out of bounds(by out of bounds you know that type that came flying out of nowhere). Everything on the plot is carefully laid out that there's little to no plot holes that would elicit that "wut?" feeling. The nameless characters were already a huge handicap but he played it well. With this display of writing skills, you can be assured that the author won't screw it up no matter which route is taken.

This is what I am talking about, these two explain it well.

Last edited by Questman; 2018-10-15 at 17:06.
Old 2018-10-15, 17:06   Link #1060
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
While I don't say eitherway. Guild guirl don't buy HEAs proclamation of non-interest and same case seems to be HEAs sister (based on second hand information only). It may be nothing, but maybe they know her well enough to judge.

Tags
d&d, fantasy, harem?