Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-04-21, 00:06   Link #1021
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So yeah since these posts are starting to become rather time consuming, I'll just say that I don't argue that the changes they want to do to the story are bad. Hell I welcome the changes and additions so long as they actually make good ones, and a good portion of what they actually decided to expand on were decent at the very least.

My point of contention is the execution. I have no issue with the end result and even support it to a degree, but the execution of Chapter 18 leaves much to be desired. If nothing else grant me that chapter could have been handled better without having to jump the shark like that.
One thing that Nojima explicitly mentioned is a lot of people were already spoiled on the original's events, so doing things the same way the original did would not have the same impact.

Given that they intentionally set the ending this way...

Spoiler for speculation:
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 02:04   Link #1022
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Or we could get a Mass Effect like scenario where different choices and events affects the subsequent games down the line.

Which is highly unlikely.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 02:48   Link #1023
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Or we could get a Mass Effect like scenario where different choices and events affects the subsequent games down the line.

Which is highly unlikely.
How about a Mass Effect 2 suicide mission scenario where anyone can die depending on your choices.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 03:06   Link #1024
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
How about a Mass Effect 2 suicide mission scenario where anyone can die depending on your choices.
You think SE has the balls to do that to the remake of a classic game?
Old 2020-04-21, 03:39   Link #1025
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
One surprising tidbit I recently heard of (which I haven't researched and verified myself so take it with a grain of salt) was that at one point in OG there was supposedly a scenario where everyone outside of your immediate party dies. If that's true then everyone but Cloud and two of your party dies near the end.

And change for changes sake isn't exactly a good thing. I get that they want to surprise their audience since most will know how the story will go, but keep it grounded within the framework OG created.

Spoiler:

So that supposed scenario where everyone dies is now rather plausible since hey if that's not on the table then why the hell did we even go through Chapter 18? Give so called "purists" (which evidently includes me too?) something to be really salty about.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 03:45   Link #1026
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I should also say that the OST has been fucking glorious from start to finish. I could have only imagined what could have been achieved back in the 90s if the PSX had better sound capabilities.

Masashi Hamauzu and Mitsuto Suzuki do Nobuo Uematsu proud.
Old 2020-04-21, 05:41   Link #1027
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
So that supposed scenario where everyone dies is now rather plausible since hey if that's not on the table then why the hell did we even go through Chapter 18? Give so called "purists" (which evidently includes me too?) something to be really salty about.
At the end, you're just running in circle complaining something that not proven yet that when you tried to prove it it's just crumble because the change as far remake goes are not treating Disc 1 OG as something wrong but actually asking the player to do cross-check plot points with OG.
Old 2020-04-21, 06:10   Link #1028
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
At the end, you're just running in circle complaining something that not proven yet that when you tried to prove it it's just crumble because the change as far remake goes are not treating Disc 1 OG as something wrong but actually asking the player to do cross-check plot points with OG.
Seriously what are you even responding to? The post I made that there was a scenario considered in OG that everyone but Cloud and two party members die near the end? Because you're being rather hostile about this, here's a link for your reading pleasure. Actually surprised it's true, but hey would have certainly made a bigger oomph back in the day.

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-7-character-deaths/

And if I got your jumbled writing right, you're saying that the player is supposed to cross-check plot points with the OG? Care to explain why the player is supposed to do that? If you need another game (and a movie, and another game, and hell let's just do the whole compilation) to explain the plot points of your remake, then I do believe you're doing something wrong. And if you think Disc 1 of OG is just Midgar then I do believe you're remembering a different game here.

If you're referring to myself being salty about character deaths? Just look at my post history, sparse though it may be, and it'll be pretty easy to see that I support major character deaths so long as it makes narrative sense.

I'm going to reiterate it one last time and just drop the subject matter altogether (for realsies). I'm actually supportive of the changes, hell expand on more and change more so long as it maintains the core framework of the story. But how they went about doing it? Yeah again feels like a bad fanfic. Some people say it feels like Kingdom Hearts, but haven't played that franchise so I'll just go with bad fanfic.
Old 2020-04-21, 13:06   Link #1029
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Spoiler for ending:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-04-21 at 17:07. Reason: still need spoiler tags
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 16:17   Link #1030
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The remake has sold 3.5 million copies so far in 3 days. I'm surprised considering the current difficulties with buying games
Old 2020-04-21, 17:15   Link #1031
Shadow5YA

Quote:
And if I got your jumbled writing right, you're saying that the player is supposed to cross-check plot points with the OG? Care to explain why the player is supposed to do that? If you need another game (and a movie, and another game, and hell let's just do the whole compilation) to explain the plot points of your remake, then I do believe you're doing something wrong. And if you think Disc 1 of OG is just Midgar then I do believe you're remembering a different game here.
The player is supposed to ask questions. Perhaps the more informed player could cross reference Advent Children to find clues, but for all intents and purposes, the ending is not meant to give answers.

The possibility of it derailing due to the last chapter is a fair concern, but the intention is to leave a sequel hook for the next part. Given that both you and I are still discussing this, I'd say that the dev team accomplished what they wanted for now. Whether that will be true for the future parts remains to be seen.

As for why the Remake is just Midgar, I'd wager that is more for logistical reasons. Midgar is mostly linear, so that makes things slightly easier to develop. Once they leave Midgar, they would have to develop various systems to support an open/overworld if they are serious about reproducing the original's legacy. It would be completely different from how the first part works.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 20:03   Link #1032
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

What the? The game has a 88 on Metacritic. I think the last FF with such a big score there was XII with an acclaimed number. The XIII trilogy was a bit lower though.
Old 2020-04-21, 20:46   Link #1033
Dark Wing

Spoiler for Ending:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-04-22 at 08:01.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-21, 22:01   Link #1034
Twi

Remake, not Remaster.
Old 2020-04-21, 22:03   Link #1035
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Spoiler for ending:
I think they're trying to give players something to look forward to.

If they made a story carbon copy of OG, would players look forward to part 2 so SE can continue money collecting? Under the assumption that from part 1 to 2 that game mechanics don't change that much, and a large portion of the player base already knows what happens; I don't think there would be that as much interest in part 2.

At least now I think that most of the player base is willing to stay invested to see where things go with the story.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-04-22 at 08:02.
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-22, 07:06   Link #1036
The Green One

So in short.....

Spoiler for What I'm hearing:
Old 2020-04-22, 08:53   Link #1037
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
So in short.....

Spoiler for What I'm hearing:
Well that kind of disingenuous...

Spoiler:
Old 2020-04-22, 10:40   Link #1038
The Green One

I'm merely offering my opinion and impression based on what I'm encountering. You're free to not agree with it at your discretion.
Old 2020-04-22, 11:05   Link #1039
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
Spoiler:

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-22, 11:59   Link #1040
MonkeyDude

Hell even disregarding the end of the game jumping the shark like that, the most egregious thing they did was the blatant false advertising for the game. Yes this isn't a remaster. Yes that a remake entails changes, changes I embraced if not for the contrived plot device used to justify it.

This game is a sequel, probably better called FFVII-2. Wouldn't exactly have generated as much hype given SE's rather lackluster performance regarding Final Fantasy sequels, but let's call this game what it is.

Spoiler:

As for sales, most people who can buy this game at launch probably also have broadband internet for the most part? Pretty beefy download at around 80GB+, but that's how I got my copy.

And as for story beats like Aerith dying not being impactful because it's so well known? Well how about rather than the usual Sephiroth impales Aerith, the party wasn't able to stop Cloud in time and he ends up doing the deed himself. Aerith still dies cause that's pretty important to the plot (depending on your interpretation of it anyway), but now people are like HOLY SHIT CLOUD KILLED AERITH!? Now in my opinion that seems like a good way of subverting expectations. Added bonus of messing Cloud up even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
What the? The game has a 88 on Metacritic. I think the last FF with such a big score there was XII with an acclaimed number. The XIII trilogy was a bit lower though.
The game is legitimately good. I'd critically rate it as an 8.5/10 for having great combat and wonderful musical pieces. The game could have trimmed around 2-3hrs of fat, but the pacing in and of itself was adequate for the most part.

The "me" FF7 fanboy nostalgia goggles rating gave it a 7/10 because it managed to get me to drop my controller in disbelief while voicing out loud "the hell am I looking at" during the final 2-3hrs of the game.

Spoiler:

Tags
final fantasy, mako energy, rpg