Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 08:23   Link #1001
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The first few hundreds years would probably be fun/interesting, but after a while, you'd start getting bored and incredibly jaded.
So you are saying a Spartan Warrior wouldn't want to live long enough to drive a car? Get on a supersonic jet? Visit a Hatsune Miku concert?

Seriously, cars and planes don't even exist 250 years ago. Your assumption that the world is somehow static, is the views of a mortal who could only look forward to a century of life. Something new and exciting happens EVERY decade, never mind every hundred years. You just won't live to see most of it.
Old 2012-05-27, 08:35   Link #1002
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So you are saying a Spartan Warrior wouldn't want to live long enough to drive a car? Get on a supersonic jet? Visit a Hatsune Miku concert?

Seriously, cars and planes don't even exist 250 years ago. Your assumption that the world is somehow static, is the views of a mortal who could only look forward to a century of life. Something new and exciting happens EVERY decade, never mind every hundred years. You just won't live to see most of it.
We'd have to find an immortal Spartan warrior and ask him. But I guess even innovation could become boring after a while. How many middle aged men are interested in the all new "in" thing as opposed to what they liked when they were teenagers themselves? Well, we've got a few on this very board, but they're the exception, not the rule. And that's after only half a century.

Then again, I heard there's a physiological component to it, so I don't know if it'd apply to an eternal teenager.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 09:28   Link #1003
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The first few hundreds years would probably be fun/interesting, but after a while, you'd start getting bored and incredibly jaded. Human lives would seem so short to you it would be meaningless to get involved with them in any way. Entertainment would become dull. Work would become painful. The number of things there is to do may appear unlimited to us, but it wouldn't be to an immortal being. To me, it seems inevitable that an immortal will either run out of things to do or simply lose interest in them given enough time.

Ayumu's advantage is that at least Eu will always be by his side. It's nowhere near as bad as spending eternity alone.
First "normal life years" you work your ass off making a company. Then you rip benefits from it, becoming illuminati and fooling around. There's more than enough entertainment on earth to last dozens of lifetimes.

Then reapers come and you defeat them with something better than lame blue/red/green option. Seriously anyone of you lived at least 100+ years to say that life gets boring? I don't think so.

I myself wouldn't get bored.
Old 2012-05-27, 09:58   Link #1004
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Aren't we getting too immersed to the topic of immortality here?
We haven't got all the time in the world to discuss this, you know.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 10:05   Link #1005
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Seriously anyone of you lived at least 100+ years to say that life gets boring? I don't think so.
They're just making assumptions based on their current life-style; which, in itself, is nothing but a consequence of an already limited life-span... and that alone says everything.

It's like trying to understand what a cat thinks and dreams, or how it feels to really be a cat, when in reality you're not.
Unless you actually become a cat overnight, it's one of those things you'll never be able to fully grasp.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:19   Link #1006
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The difference is, a cat was born a cat. Ayumu was born mortal and human.

Not 100% applicable, but Cracked made an article on the inconveniences of immortality.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:04   Link #1007
Eratas123

Immortality will hurt people who have intimate relationships and more close interactions. Many parents express the fear of outliving their child, since they're supposed to be the legacy they leave behind. If you don't mind being alone or aren't that connected to people, then immortality loses one of it's biggest disadvantages. Still, getting bored would still be a big problem.

Anyway, aren't we getting a but off topic?
Old 2012-05-27, 15:20   Link #1008
Gabrinius
Hic !

i didn't understand nothing you guys said, it's so much complication.

I really want to see how powerfull Chris is to make even dai-sensei afraid and....

Chris should be an awesome nendoroid.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:09   Link #1009
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
5 . Evolution is dead, long live DNA modification. Long before a new and improved species of homo sapiens is born by the sheer luck process known as evolution, we will have learned how to change our own DNA, making custom modifications as required.

4. Welcome communal immortality. I bet a thousand years ago many japanese were very Jealous the long life span of Abe no Senmei (who live lived 84 years) the same nowadays many people might be jealous of the 70+ years old Jeffry Life. But TBT when we really understand how our DNA works, we will learn how to repair it and when everybody has about the same lifespan, there is no reason for jealousy.

3 & 2. Sooner or later humans will get their brain connected to the net, then you will easily backup all those unused files we call memories in an external device the same you do with your home computer. Think about it, ~32,000 years year ago our ancestors started to paint inside the caves they occupied for the very same reason, to backup what they thought was important to teach the next generation. Written language was the next stage of the same idea. The obvious evolution of said idea is the external backup that will help unclog our neurons, see GitS TV series, this is not even my ieda.

1. I do not think a lifespan with no definitive end is the same as being indestructible, so getting trapped would mean you die, tough luch but accidents and diseases happen everyday.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-05-27 at 16:23.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 16:22   Link #1010
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Immortality will hurt people who have intimate relationships and more close interactions. Many parents express the fear of outliving their child, since they're supposed to be the legacy they leave behind. If you don't mind being alone or aren't that connected to people, then immortality loses one of it's biggest disadvantages. Still, getting bored would still be a big problem.

Anyway, aren't we getting a but off topic?
Most of Ayumu's harem is immortal or pretty damn close. 3 Ninja Vampires, at least 2 Magical Fairy Girls (come on, they're basically fairies). Just 1 mortal.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 19:06   Link #1011
Eratas123

Not so sure about that. The only one who's truly immortal is Eu, so the others will leave at some point. Still, if Dai-sensei's any indication, then the Masou Shoujo's are very long lived.
Old 2012-05-27, 19:11   Link #1012
Kyouka
Is Here

found something off maybe since its the manga its different from the anime but
page 1 chapter 3 haruna said megalos don't use weapons
but that raccoon in s2 had a gun
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 19:36   Link #1013
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Not so sure about that. The only one who's truly immortal is Eu, so the others will leave at some point. Still, if Dai-sensei's any indication, then the Masou Shoujo's are very long lived.
No one in their world is invincible. It's just that there is so far, no known case of anyone dying of old age, because no one AGE. Note the complete absence of old looking people.

Ayumu is being kept alive by Yuu. That doesn't make him immortal, it it just makes his death conditional. And as I say, there is no point arguing about the horrors of immortality when it seems the majority of the known zombie universe didn't have a problem with it.
Old 2012-05-27, 20:22   Link #1014
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
No one in their world is invincible. It's just that there is so far, no known case of anyone dying of old age, because no one AGE. Note the complete absence of old looking people.

Ayumu is being kept alive by Yuu. That doesn't make him immortal, it it just makes his death conditional. And as I say, there is no point arguing about the horrors of immortality when it seems the majority of the known zombie universe didn't have a problem with it.
But people DO have problems with it. That's the King of the Night was trying to say.

Anyway, whether people think immortality is a blessing or a curse, it should be obvious that not everyone thinks the same way like on most topics of morality.

If there are characters unhappy with an indefinite lifespan (like the King of the Night), it doesn't mean that it's an unnatural way of thinking.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 20:40   Link #1015
NaweG
Just some guy

Most of the immortality discussion is covered, rather well, in Heinlein's collection "Time Enough for Love" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love) which centers around a human who is at least as old as Methuselah as the book opens.

One of the stories there is the "Tale of the Adopted Daughter" which seems to very well cover most of what I've seen in here in terms of the discussion. Book is available in most formats, including those we don't talk about in here.

Now, more on topic, there seems to be a lot of talk about a third season. While I would certainly welcome one, has an official announcement been made?
Old 2012-05-27, 21:01   Link #1016
Gabrinius
Hic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Most of the immortality discussion is covered, rather well, in Heinlein's collection "Time Enough for Love" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love) which centers around a human who is at least as old as Methuselah as the book opens.

One of the stories there is the "Tale of the Adopted Daughter" which seems to very well cover most of what I've seen in here in terms of the discussion. Book is available in most formats, including those we don't talk about in here.

Now, more on topic, there seems to be a lot of talk about a third season. While I would certainly welcome one, has an official announcement been made?
there's not any announcement, it's only expeculations about which part of the history the third season should cover, if its have a third season someday.

but i hope the discs sell well, it's the most important to decide if a new season will be made or not. the manga is being published in english by YenPress, maybe buying it can help somehow (or not?).

hope they publish the light novels someday too, i asked yenpress if they have plans for it but, obviously, i didn't get an answer

Last edited by Gabrinius; 2012-05-27 at 21:03. Reason: fixing (or trying to) the bad english sentences
Gabrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:04   Link #1017
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
First season didn't sell particularly well, that didn't stop them from making a second.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:11   Link #1018
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
No announcement AFAIK.

Pros:

1. LN (and related mangas) is still being published (anime promotes book sells) and there is (or will be) enough material for another season.
2. Narrative could be better, but series seems to have no weak episodes.
3. OVAs (or UVAs as I call them, unaired video animation) have been announced (one has yet to be released).

Cons.

1. Nowadays series with three consecutive seasons are rare.
2. Sales projections for 2nd season is not in the top three.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:57   Link #1019
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
True, I guess that the source sales got a boost last year. Also after having a look at how much other shows of DEEN have sold, KoreZon S1 is in the top 10 despite selling about 3k per volume. In addition their production is so bad that they probably cut even if not coming out profitable with less sales
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 00:51   Link #1020
Lukeman1884

I guess we'll have to wait and see if they tease a 3rd season in the final episode like they did in S1
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen, zombies