AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 6 6.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 15.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 19.10%
7 out of 10 : Good 31 34.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 10.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.37%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-18, 10:47   Link #81
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Breaking for the weird eyebrowns omg .

Seems that next episode they'll discuss about legent , myth , ghost something like that .

24 episodes ? lol should make the second season instead .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 11:06   Link #82
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I love the differences of opinions in this thread.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 11:11   Link #83
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Though the rich also seem to get in there which I kind of don't get since they said all of the onese there are level 3+. So that makes it sound like all the rich people are level 3+ and every single one of them is there.
Yep, that does make it sound confusing. Mikoto once mentioned that Tokiwadai is for L3+ students and that material status is unimportant, but in both Railgun and Index they seem to forget about that. I guess we can say that it is for rich L3+ students.

Quote:
I mean where have you seen a uni or school where the dorms are not it the same neighbourhood?
In Otočac (where I lived), Rijeka, Gospić (cities where I attended High School) and Varaždin (where I now study at university). Don't know for other cities, have not been there or checked where dorms and schools are.

Also, Mikoto seems to walk/run quite a lot between school and dorm (looking at both Railgun manga and Index novels) so they may not be in neighborhood.

BTW, thinking about it... it might be cool if authors released a map of Academy City...

Quote:
Anyway it's going to be 24 episode right?
We won't know until we get a confirmation. Might as well end up being 50 episodes (oh the horror...)
Old 2009-10-18, 11:51   Link #84
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Yep, that does make it sound confusing. Mikoto once mentioned that Tokiwadai is for L3+ students and that material status is unimportant, but in both Railgun and Index they seem to forget about that. I guess we can say that it is for rich L3+ students.
Yep but at the same time it's a place for the rich even if half of them probably aren't. They just have a well developed ability. It kind of makes the requirments to get in there too many and despite that, that's where the "rich" district seems to be.Confusing indeed.

Quote:
In Otočac (where I lived), Rijeka, Gospić (cities where I attended High School) and Varaždin (where I now study at university). Don't know for other cities, have not been there or checked where dorms and schools are.
Well ok I know there are are schools like that all over the world but generally the dorms are close. And beside what's the point of having a distirct for all the studenst with everyithing they might need in there if the dorms are not there? That would turn out to be a major incovinience.

Quote:
Also, Mikoto seems to walk/run quite a lot between school and dorm (looking at both Railgun manga and Index novels) so they may not be in neighborhood.
Yes he runs around a lot but I think that's due to her nature of going around in places that are more common (or at least we get that form the anime and the manga) and walk around in general.
Spoiler for Railgun manga:
Basically that's how I see things. But well both are views might be wrong since there's nothing official about this
Quote:
BTW, thinking about it... it might be cool if authors released a map of Academy City...
Yep and that would clear all these things

Quote:
We won't know until we get a confirmation. Might as well end up being 50 episodes (oh the horror...)
Hah yeah right well I guess we'll wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I love the differences of opinions in this thread.
It's fun indeed. It serves as a great starting point for a discussion though.
Hah I love to talk about and discuss things even if they're sort of pointless and have no impact on the story at all
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 11:52   Link #85
LockeManuel

12 episodes, confirmed somewhere...
LockeManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 12:11   Link #86
TCman

Well, if Wikipedia and Anime News Network are right, the story/plot of the manga will pick up again later in the anime:

Spoiler for where the plot of the manga would resume in the anime:
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 12:36   Link #87
LockeManuel

Chapter 2 is like a "filler" (no plot at all... well, at least there is Touma XD)... so I think it will be used like chapter 17 (part of episode 2)...
LockeManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 14:40   Link #88
darkmaster074
------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
This episode wasted a good 20 minutes of my life...
yeah me too
darkmaster074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 14:56   Link #89
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
As far as I'm concerned, one of the best anime in recent years was Aria and all its seasons. Nothing happens. It's great. You don't like Slice of Life? Too bad, your loss.
You mention Aria. You say it is great. Then you construct a straw man that I dislike slice of life. OK.

Quote:
I say "wow" at entertainment, not noteworthy epics. How is the setting completely useless? Oh right, you are under the unwarranted assumption that technology + esper = action.

"Nothing interesting" is subjective. While you may find Mikoto's interactions with "few people" not interesting, I find the first two episodes worthy of highest praise.
I am under the assumption that technology + esper = we explore this world of technology and espers. It doesn't have to be action to do it... And no, the one little random chasing of this eye brow girl by judgment did nothing to do so! We already understand what judgment is, that is just wasting time. This episode could have simply been a fanfiction and I would not be able to tell the difference.

And the nothing interesting comment is not as subjective as you might think. I say that because this show has not presented us with ANYTHING that is not EXACTLY like 10000000 recent shows.

It bothers me when stories provide characters that seem like they are churned out of the stereotypical archetypes present out there, and then exploit these archetypes way too much.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 15:09   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You mention Aria. You say it is great. Then you construct a straw man that I dislike slice of life. OK.
Isn't that what you meant when you said "This slice of life is pretty worthless in large amounts."?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 16:12   Link #91
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
i don't get why flowerhead girl is in Judgement.
She doesn't seem to have any worthy abilities at all to be in that group.

edit: oh I see, so she's good with computers
Because she refused to give up during training despite being significantly less physically capable than Kuroko. Judgement appears to believe that determination is the primary requirement for 11 and 12 year old recruits.

And they unlike us know what her psychic ability is.

Of course thats from a source where the gated community doesn't seem to exist. And where Uiharu and Kuroko's branch of Judgement covers the district that includes both their schools and the local shopping areas. But not the Bank from episode 1.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 16:43   Link #92
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Though really it's safe to say the show will be focusing on those 4 girls. The only male presence I'd expect would be thugs, criminals, and probably Touma.
I might expect the Frogfaced Doctor [if anyone gets badly hurt] and male members of Anti-Skills or Judgement. Male family members might show if only in flashbacks. If Maika makes it in at some point, then her brother might show.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 16:56   Link #93
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And the nothing interesting comment is not as subjective as you might think. I say that because this show has not presented us with ANYTHING that is not EXACTLY like 10000000 recent shows.

It bothers me when stories provide characters that seem like they are churned out of the stereotypical archetypes present out there, and then exploit these archetypes way too much.
In my opinion, Railgun is the best anime this season because it is "absolutely interesting" and also most exciting of them all.

And the above comment is "not as subjective as you might think."
Old 2009-10-18, 17:40   Link #94
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Isn't that what you meant when you said "This slice of life is pretty worthless in large amounts."?
Well sorry if you got that misunderstanding from this statement. I'll clarify for you what I meant.
  • The characters are unimaginative. Everyone presented so far besides Mikoto are factory constructed stereotypical, anime archetypes. A slice of life show about such characters thus would also be very unimaginative because every single character interaction becomes very formulated. (ex: Kuruko gets lesbian jealously every time Mikoto is overly nice to another girl than her, over and over again)
  • I and many others feel there is a wonderful setting constructed in this show. Whether or not it is action based, it would definitely be really nice to explore this setting rather than the unimpressive characters.
  • Why focus on slice of life and present a setting such as this at the same time? It is one or the other. If you want to develop characters, it is much easier to do so with some sort of plot development (Oh and there hasn't been any character development in this show beyond episode 1 so far).
  • The series name is railgun. Even if the director says he wants to take a certain direction with the show, most viewers won't know that and will expect what is advertised (Railgun!).

I could keep listing more points, but this should be enough for you to understand.

Quote:
In my opinion, Railgun is the best anime this season because it is "absolutely interesting" and also most exciting of them all.

And the above comment is "not as subjective as you might think."
You're avoiding my statement. What are the show's redeeming qualities? What sets it apart from all the other generic crap that comes out of the anime industry today that seems to entirely comfortable focusing on moe lately.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 19:03   Link #95
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

could compare this to the awesome Hayate no Gotoku shows which don't exactly go story-mode. Still, any To Aru's worth watching (random touma appearance not in this ep)
Old 2009-10-18, 19:42   Link #96
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I loved the story arcs Railgun went with in the manga, but this isn't one of them.

I hope they get to it soon, having Mikoto sit on her ass for twenty minutes wasn't all that entertaining, and seeing the vengeance of some chick who looked like the bastard child of GROUCHO MARX didn't appease me much either.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 19:48   Link #97
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Why would they show it in OP when 90% is high-tech and district like these make only a small part of it?
Beacuse since those chapters are exclusive anime episodes they are non canon episodes. So don't make a trouble for them
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 19:50   Link #98
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You're avoiding my statement. What are the show's redeeming qualities? What sets it apart from all the other generic crap that comes out of the anime industry today that seems to entirely comfortable focusing on moe lately.
Its redeeming qualities is that it's entertaining. If you still don't get that and are looking for something "deeper," then you can find another anime. It sets it apart from other the other generic crap by being more entertaining than other anime... What else do you want from me?
Old 2009-10-18, 19:53   Link #99
tsunade666

I'm in despair.....

I'm expecting big time but I've been hit big time. When will they start getting serious about this. Or are they serious about this already. Its not even funny anymore. I miss the action. Just pure girls love even if someone says this is about friendship but what about the action. railgun is about it also
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 20:07   Link #100
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

*summons the Lucky Star girls singing Makenai De*

I survive 5 training episodes in Nanoha StrikerS, and then 5 more after that; this is nothing compared to that!