AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-17, 13:12   Link #81
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

All your questions can be answered at a Linux help forum. I'm not as good as the guys there--
http://justlinux.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
Old 2004-02-17, 15:58   Link #82
ato
Oups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Yes Debian is i568 and it works a hell of a lot better than Red Hat. Took an hour to setup but I havent really had any problems w/ it accept I now cant mount my zip drive -.-''. *I swear if its not one thing than its another* Also my windows disk is a restore disk. When I poped it in the 1st time I told it to reformat and reinstal. It froze instead. Than I told it do fdisk. I thought that it did it but when i restarted w/ out the disk everything was still there. I dont know I dont care, i'll work w/ debian for now. I just have a bunch of lil problems. Zip wont mount, scroll button on mouse doesnt work, In KDE Korquerer crashes alot, In GNOME no sound for flash. -.-'' ok maybe i got big problems......
Naaa, those are no big problems...Big problems is when you only have one computer and the NIC won't work and you can't get your video card to display anything else than a text terminal

Too bad you didn't get a real windows install disc. You should try yelling a bit at the salesman that sold you that windows license to the machine. What good is it if it can't be used to rescue a machine in peril? Gah!

For the mouse, try to insert the following "Option" line in your XF86Config-file:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection
If you would care to try to install Mozilla for a browser, I know that it's packaged by Debian, so it should be possible to get it all nice and installed with apt-get

Hmmm, the zip will depend a bit on how the devices are set up on your machine. If it is connected to your IDE chain, it'll be hdb or hdc if in slave mode...But it might be better to ask on the Debian forums. Don't despair, you'll get everything working just fine!
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 04:39   Link #83
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Eh.... more damn problems i swear.... now debian wont let me log in as root *admin* The window it gives me to log in at says that I cant log in as root in that window.... how gay..... and on top of that I cant shut down properly 'cuz there i dont get the shut down or restart selection when i log out the user...... *deep sigh*..... the drama never ends.... Oh ato what directory is XF86 located?
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 05:51   Link #84
ato
Oups...

Ah, whilst not letting root log into a graphical environment might seem a little restrictive, it's actually sound practice - It means that noone will prefer to run as root all the time. How it should be done is that you log on as yourself and then start a terminal window. In the terminal window you execute "su - root" and whammo, you have a root prompt... Provided you remember your root password

XF86Config is usually located in /etx/X11 or something like it - It varies a little bit with the distribution and I can't remember where Debian places it right off the bat. Of course you need to be root to edit it (see above), since it affects the whole system.

Utilities that will save you innumerable times are the "man" and the "find" (or better still "locate") cammands. Get to be friends with them, and you can, given time to learn and read, tweak just about anything to fit your needs - "man" is the command for reading the online manuals
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 03:48   Link #85
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

How do I use or format my secondary HD when using Mandrake? I'm guessing the HD is located somewhere in /dev, but other than that I got no idea what to do. One more thing, why does Wine only emulate up to the Win 98 OS?
Old 2004-02-22, 06:51   Link #86
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
How do I use or format my secondary HD when using Mandrake? I'm guessing the HD is located somewhere in /dev, but other than that I got no idea what to do. One more thing, why does Wine only emulate up to the Win 98 OS?
If your second drive is slave then it's probably /dev/hdb. You can format disk using cfdisk /dev/hdb. And Wine can emulate other windows versions too. Try running wine --help. If I remember correctly it had a switch --winver where you can pass windows version to emulate.
Forse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 19:21   Link #87
Wandering_Youth

It only shows Win 3.1, 95 and 98. on the config screen. How do I get it to emulate Win 2k since most programs today run on 2k and XP.
Old 2004-02-22, 19:25   Link #88
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
It only shows Win 3.1, 95 and 98. on the config screen. How do I get it to emulate Win 2k since most programs today run on 2k and XP.
are you sure you have latest Wine?
Old 2004-02-22, 19:45   Link #89
Wandering_Youth

I have "wine-20040213-mdki586.rpm" and I think that is the latest version or are you talking about WineX?
Old 2004-02-22, 20:14   Link #90
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Wandering_Youth if you get Wine from Winehq than it'll cover just about every windows setup. You can find WineHq here . Getting Wine to work is another story though...
Old 2004-03-04, 20:45   Link #91

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Does anyone know how to make a Debian boot disk?

Arigatou,
Old 2004-03-04, 21:07   Link #92
Forse
r00t for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma

Arigatou,
Make? Why make it when u can download it?

(Or am I missing something...)
Old 2004-03-04, 21:12   Link #93

Where can I download one?

Arigatou,
Old 2004-03-04, 22:19   Link #94
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

http://www.linuxiso.org/

edit: Oh, you mean a floppy disk... you should make one, just in case.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-03-04 at 23:20.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 23:05   Link #95
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:

Arigatou,
Doesnt It ask you while your installing if your want to make a boot disk? I know when I installed Red Hat and Debian they both asked me if I wanted to make a boot disk.
Old 2004-03-05, 01:44   Link #96

I meant how do I make the floppy boot disk? I could not figure out how.....sorry for being such a noob, I'm pretty good with computers just not with this kinda stuff. OH well thanks again.

Old 2004-03-05, 11:57   Link #97
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Quote:
I meant how do I make the floppy boot disk? I could not figure out how.....sorry for being such a noob, I'm pretty good with computers just not with this kinda stuff. OH well thanks again.

Well, when I installed them after they were finished to a certain point they asked me if I wanted to make a boot disk and give you instructions as how to do it. It ask you if you want to :
A) make the computer boot from the boot disk *which means making the disk*
B) make the computer self boot without a boot disk
C) make the computer self boot without a boot disk, but make a boot disk as a back up
I chose C and than it tells you to pop in a floppy. The comp will than format and write the boot disk. This disk is Tailored specifically to what you have installed so getting a random boot disk from the net isnt gunna do anygood unless it the same kernal *I think*. Any way I hope you dont run into as much trouble as I did ^^''.
Old 2004-03-05, 13:38   Link #98

I don't think I"m being clear, I can't figure out how to make the floppy boot disk!! I know how, I just don't know what file(s) to raw write on the disk. I need the floppy boot disk cuz there's no OS on the computer I"m installing it too, and somethings messed up so it won't let me edit the bios. Thanks for your patience.

Old 2004-03-05, 14:10   Link #99
Nevion
/dev/random

I'm guessing you can't boot off the cdrom, try this out
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

You should beable to boot from cdrom after that no matter what as long as your comp tries to boot from floppy first. As far as linux boot floppies go, you either just place a loader on the disk and that points to your kernel image (usually /boot/vmlinuz) via lilo or grub or a VERY small kernel image on it... boot floppies are generally not as useful on linux as they are on windows though as your not getting a dos with it (ie no shell or simple programs like ls & cat), just something to boot the system usually to the kernel your loader pointed to if where using the loader type of boot floppy.
Nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 18:12   Link #100

Finally got Red Hat up and working. I may decide to switch to Debian if I"m not satisfied, but for now I need to learn a little about Linux!! When I install stuff I have no idea where it goes. A window will come up with information about 'dependancy' stuff, and it says it installs but I can't figure out how to run the programs!?! If there's some place I can find a newbies guide to Red Hat, please tell me.

Domo,