AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-04, 04:09   Link #81
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Gold does not oxidize unlike silver. (compromizes conductivity). Silver tarnishes after a while. So while silver is a the best conductor you'd have to use it in a vacuum for long term use. Not very practical

Man this has turned into some funky Hgame/Mythbusters/PCgeekery crossbreed of a thread

NOTE: Some additional info was added to my previous post. I didn't hit refresh and didn't realise you had responded
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-12-04 at 04:19.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 04:20   Link #82
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Note: ATX is a size standard. Principles of electrical conductivity remain true no matter waht size standard you use whether it be ITX, BTX, MATX, uatx, XXX etc etc. But no I never plug it in. I'm confident that in my electronics knowledge and practices that I have grounded myself. I refuse to do any work with the potential to have current from mains. It's dangerous to have to work in such a cramped environment with a live device. One slip of a screwdriver into the guts of a psu is great way to kill yourself. Lose a little screw in the PSU, game over. I avoid touching electronics when they even have a potential to contain live current. Parts I can replace, my life not so easy. Plus from a praticality standpoint, it's easier to mount the PSU after the motherboard in most cases, it's a little less cramped and a bit easier to work.

Yes it's true that modern PSU's still retain charge in its capacitors, sometime lethal amounts. But that's why you don;t open the PSU up. The risk is much much lower. Also we're talking about a band new PSU. There's next no chance that there will be any sort of current stored.
So I handle the motherboard by the flat surface with lines...

Well, btw, what do you use to ground yourself if you don't plug the PSU in? (following a video tutorial I've watched, it was to install PSU after putting the motherboard into the case, but I decided to reverse the order because of this whole static electricity thing)

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 04:24   Link #83
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Basically step2. THis was how I was taught when I learnt to solder and build basic electronics.
http://www.crucial.com/install/dimm.aspx

will probably be useful as you will be doing this very shortly

Also I forgot to add the most PITA thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.
Old 2007-12-04, 04:28   Link #84
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Basically this
http://www.crucial.com/install/dimm.aspx

will probably be useful as you will be doing this very shortly
All you have to do is touch the unpainted metal part of the case? I kinda don't get why a person static electricity won't transmit to the ground on its own, though...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-12-04, 04:49   Link #85
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Yup. I touch anything coming into contact with electronics (hands, tools) for a second. That's all it takes to discharge yourself. The case itself is grounded (it'd be a pretty shit case if it wasn't ). That's basically how an antistatic wrap works you're always grounded, basically it completes a circuit (body->strap->ground). Instead of touching the case everytime, you're connected to the case by passing the need to constantly touch metal.

Again you have to remember conductivity. Basically some things are poor conductors of electricity, wood for example, by touching the metal of the case it has better conductivity (metal pwns wood and nearly everything else at this, water I think is the exception but do you want to be standing in a bucket of water near electricity?) thereby more efficient at discharging.
Old 2007-12-04, 05:10   Link #86
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Yup. I touch anything coming into contact with electronics (hands, tools) for a second. That's all it takes to discharge yourself. The case itself is grounded (it'd be a pretty shit case if it wasn't ). That's basically how an antistatic wrap works you're always grounded, basically it completes a circuit (body->strap->ground). Instead of touching the case everytime, you're connected to the case by passing the need to constantly touch metal.
Okay, thanks. Didn't realize it was that simple.

Quote:
Again you have to remember conductivity. Basically some things are poor conductors of electricity, wood for example, by touching the metal of the case it has better conductivity (metal pwns wood and nearly everything else at this, water I think is the exception but do you want to be standing in a bucket of water near electricity?) thereby more efficient at discharging.
That's what I thought as well.

Anyway, I think I can handle this static electricity thing now. Thank you for the clarification.

I'm going to bed... 3 hours of sleep, dang ;_;

On another note, I'm glad that I didn't wait a long time to order. I just checked again today and the video card + motherboard I bought is already out of stock.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2007-12-04 at 16:56.
Old 2007-12-04, 17:56   Link #87
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
So if the 3rd pong is purely the ground, I can get some kind of metal myself, maybe a thin but long piece of copper, stick it in there and tie the other end to my leg or my wrist, and I'd make a homemade "wrist strap"? XD If that actually works (no idea if it does), why isn't there a wrist strap that can plug into that circle hole, btw?
Simply put, there's nothing to plug you into a ground because there's no point. For one, it'd limit you to working around electrical outlets - even if proximity isn't a big issue, being able to come up with an open socket simply for grounding yourself may not be feasible (for those of us with a million electronics...). The second point is the more realistic one: because you achieve the same effect by just touching a grounded case. It's much easier to do that than to build up some elaborate strap that plugs into a wall.

Quote:
Well, btw, what do you use to ground yourself if you don't plug the PSU in? (following a video tutorial I've watched, it was to install PSU after putting the motherboard into the case, but I decided to reverse the order because of this whole static electricity thing)
If you're working with something that isn't grounded, such as a laptop, there are a number of things you can do. First, ground yourself by touching something that is grounded. If I touch my grounded computer case, whether I'm working on it or not, I've grounded myself. If I touch my laptop while touching my grounded computer case, I've now essentially grounded the laptop as well. I say "essentially" because the human body isn't a super-effective conductor, but for the electrical amounts that we'd be working with, it's good enough.

If there's no ground source around you, simply reaching equilibrium with what you're working with is good enough. Remember, in order for static to occur, the difference in energy levels has to be sufficiently high enough. You're constantly transferring to and form objects that you touch - that doesn't harm components. It's that sudden burst of a lot of energy (static, lightning, and so on) that will harm the component. The only danger would be if you or the object you're working with are actively changing energy levels. For example, if someone is vigorously rubbing your clothes against you then they are raising your energy level. If they rub hard and long enough then they'd raise your level enough that a discharge may occur (again, thank you Zero_Shinohara for making that statement sound very wrong in this thread).

What it all comes down to is that you want to be at equilibrium with what you're working with. A laptop case, even if not plugged in, can act as a small ground source. Grounding yourself is the ultimate safety precaution, but being fully grounded is absolutely necessary only in high-static environments. As I've mentioned before, you should know from your own experiences what those static-like conditions are. In my experiences, it tends to be in warm, dry areas, such as my long-thread-carpeted house with the heat on in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
Just to clarify about water, pure water (de-ionized water, or DI water for those of us who live in the lab) will not conduct electricity at all. Salt water, or water containing other ions, will conduct electricity with varying degrees of efficiency, depending on what's in solution. So in theory, if you ever go with a water cooling system and worry about a leak short-circuiting your system, getting deionized water should, in theory, be safe - at least, from an electrical standpoint.
Old 2007-12-04, 22:33   Link #88
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Simply put, there's nothing to plug you into a ground because there's no point. For one, it'd limit you to working around electrical outlets - even if proximity isn't a big issue, being able to come up with an open socket simply for grounding yourself may not be feasible (for those of us with a million electronics...). The second point is the more realistic one: because you achieve the same effect by just touching a grounded case. It's much easier to do that than to build up some elaborate strap that plugs into a wall.
That was a rather egocentric view of me. I didn't consider all that, lol. But if it's as hobbes fan has said, touching the case is good enough because the case is made to be already grounded, I'm curious how do you know if something is grounded or not, beside if it has a 3 prong plug. Or do you just simply touch some conductive metal and that's quite alright?

Quote:
If you're working with something that isn't grounded, such as a laptop, there are a number of things you can do. First, ground yourself by touching something that is grounded. If I touch my grounded computer case, whether I'm working on it or not, I've grounded myself. If I touch my laptop while touching my grounded computer case, I've now essentially grounded the laptop as well. I say "essentially" because the human body isn't a super-effective conductor, but for the electrical amounts that we'd be working with, it's good enough.
So what you're saying is, a computer case while being in used is grounded. Well, it's effective I guess. I didn't get zap by the door nob but when I touch the back of my computer case where the unpainted metal is, I got zapped.

Quote:
If there's no ground source around you, simply reaching equilibrium with what you're working with is good enough. Remember, in order for static to occur, the difference in energy levels has to be sufficiently high enough. You're constantly transferring to and form objects that you touch - that doesn't harm components. It's that sudden burst of a lot of energy (static, lightning, and so on) that will harm the component. The only danger would be if you or the object you're working with are actively changing energy levels. For example, if someone is vigorously rubbing your clothes against you then they are raising your energy level. If they rub hard and long enough then they'd raise your level enough that a discharge may occur (again, thank you Zero_Shinohara for making that statement sound very wrong in this thread).
Reaching equilibrium as in limiting movement and possible static electricity buildup in the body and making contact with the thing you're working with for the whole time (as in, never detach from it)? But I remember you saying before about something concerning laptop and afraid that if you transfer enough static electricity buildup to the laptop case, it could potentially reach the motherboard. And LOL at Zero Shinohara XD

Quote:
If you're flying on an airplane, then you'd probably discharge onto the seat or onto the person next to you.
I was referring to flying as in, you know, like superman, (or just staying on the air) and no contact to anything else (well, beside air, I guess). But maybe I was being slightly unreasonable.

PS: looks like there's a chance of snowing in my area. I'm happy that there's a potential snow school day, but I just hope it won't hinder my delivery.

@hobbes fan: that's a pretty interesting case, although rather expensive... Also, what's PITA? In this context: "Also I forgot to add the most PITA thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it."

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2007-12-05 at 01:09.
Old 2007-12-05, 02:37   Link #89
problemedchild
ô_ô

Pain In the Ass
Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association
Palestinian Information Technology Association
Pacific International Trapshooting Association
Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (India)
People for the Intelligent Treatment of Animals
Pipeline Integrity Technology Associates

I'll let you decide =O
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 03:31   Link #90
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
Pain In the Ass
Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association
Palestinian Information Technology Association
Pacific International Trapshooting Association
Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (India)
People for the Intelligent Treatment of Animals
Pipeline Integrity Technology Associates

I'll let you decide =O
Also I forgot to add the most Pain In the Ass thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most Palestinian Information Technology Association thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most Pacific International Trapshooting Association thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most Prevention of Immoral Trafficking Act (India) thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most People for the Intelligent Treatment of Animals thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

Also I forgot to add the most Pipeline Integrity Technology Associates thing you'll need help with is connecting the jumpers for front audio and usb panels. Have a digital camera ready so we can help. You'll understand when you get to it.

It's HARD to choose D:!!! I choose the second before last just because it has "intelligent" in it. Hmmm, it's interesting how technology has became so advanced to associate animals with it.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-12-05, 03:32   Link #91
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
But if it's as hobbes fan has said, touching the case is good enough because the case is made to be already grounded, I'm curious how do you know if something is grounded or not, beside if it has a 3 prong plug. Or do you just simply touch some conductive metal and that's quite alright?
I've sort of been beating around the bush and throwing terms around, so I'll try to explain it in a manner that should make it all clear.

Technically speaking, a ground is just something that can absorb excess charge. When you ground yourself, you are removing your excess charge. It's important to note that, as I somewhat mentioned before, removal of excess charge is relative - you are removing excess charge relative to what you are touching. We consider the ground to be a theoretically infinite charge sink - that is, it can absorb infinite charge and will always ensure that you are either neutral and undercharged relative to everything else.

I mentioned the example of working with my laptop to bring up another point. The laptop itself was not grounded, as it was not plugged in. I was nervous about working with it as I couldn't be 100% certain of what its charge level would then be. I also didn't know how well it would deal with excess charge. By touching the laptop's case, I brought myself to be at equilibrium with it. Technically in this situation, the laptop case would likely be acting as the ground, and you could say that I grounded myself. This is because here, the only two bodies involved were myself and the laptop.

In truth, this applies to regular computers (or anything else) as well. If you touch the computer case, you're at equilibrium with the computer case. Recall that static only occurs if there is a great difference in charge between yourself and what you're working with. Even if you and the computer case are more highly charged than your surroundings, you can still safely work with the computer case (and any components that share its charge) because there is no significant difference in energy levels between you and the computer.

Keeping the computer case itself grounded is a higher safety precaution, and removes a lot of technical issues that I didn't mention in the above examples. A laptop and a computer case can hold enough charge to act as a ground source, but you don't want them building up too much energy. Keeping them grounded, as well as yourself, when possible greatly reduces the risk of static reactions.

Quote:
Reaching equilibrium as in limiting movement and possible static electricity buildup in the body and making contact with the thing you're working with for the whole time (as in, never detach from it)? But I remember you saying before about something concerning laptop and afraid that if you transfer enough static electricity buildup to the laptop case, it could potentially reach the motherboard.
Reaching equilibrium just means that both your body and the computer hold roughly the same level of charge. If you're both equal, you won't have a sudden transfer of energy (static).

As I mentioned, I was nervous with the laptop because it wasn't plugged in and wasn't grounded. In my specific case, I was installing new RAM. Since I had nothing to truly ground myself with, I was worried that I might discharge onto the RAM right after removing it from the plastic.

By touching the laptop, I brought myself to be at equilibrium with the laptop. I knew that I wouldn't discharge onto it. However, since the laptop wasn't grounded, I couldn't have been fully sure that the laptop and I weren't at a higher energy level than the RAM - if we were at a high enough level, either one of us could have discharged onto the RAM. That would have damaged the RAM.

With regard to your mentioning of the motherboard, note that everything in the laptop was at equilibrium with me. I touched the metallic case, which instantly equilibrated with me. The case is connected to screws that hold the various components, including the motherboard - the charge would spread among them, as well. The components are also wired to each other - the charge would spread through the wires.

Quote:
I was referring to flying as in, you know, like superman, (or just staying on the air) and no contact to anything else (well, beside air, I guess). But maybe I was being slightly unreasonable.
Yep, I accounted for that - in summary, the conclusion was that you'd potentially build up enough energy to have a long-range static reaction, better known as lightning. See the pictures about lightning again. Instead of a big cloud with the + and - charges, you can imagine Superman there - it'd be the same general activity
Old 2007-12-05, 03:45   Link #92
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Hmmm, so how did you deal with the part about how your laptop and your charges may be higher than that RAM?

Quote:
Yep, I accounted for that - in summary, the conclusion was that you'd potentially build up enough energy to have a long-range static reaction, better known as lightning. See the pictures about lightning again. Instead of a big cloud with the + and - charges, you can imagine Superman there - it'd be the same general activity
Well, does that mean that if it's possible to fly, you can create havoc just flying around? Hmmm, a person creates lightning... rather interesting. =o

EDIT: Just got zap a while flipping the light on

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2007-12-05 at 03:59.
Old 2007-12-05, 09:30   Link #93
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Just gotta say it, this thread is crazy and fun. Keep it up guys

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 16:21   Link #94
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Haha, I've been trying to reply to this topic for almost four hours, but I just didn't have the chance until now.

Basically I spent the entire day yesterday preparing to write a program that should've been very simple to complete. Seriously, how hard could Linked Lists be? I would finish it and still have time to play AG! But nooooooo, it had to do with pointers. I HATE pointers with all my passion, I seriously do. Oh, and besides the fact the Code my professor gave us to use as reference was completely wrong. So I spent some good, long hours getting the basics before actually starting the assignment. I managed to finish it in time, though I had to stay up until 7AM... Oh, and did I tell you guys I HATE pointers? <_<

Anyway... going back on-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
If you're flying on an airplane, then you'd probably discharge onto the seat or onto the person next to you. Now, given that zero_shinohara so boldly started talking about HGames in this thread, that statement sounds incredibly wrong but that's how it goes And props to you, zero_shinohara - I've never seen anyone so proudly proclaim that they're venturing off to an HGame, and one where storyline is essentially nonexistent, even!

Kona-chan seal of Approval is mine! And to tell you the truth, I have much more than I need when it comes to Eroges. I mean, sure I play a couple of them here and there, but for the most part, I have no choice but skip on them. That goes for both casual games and story-driven games, mostly because I have no "safe" way of playing these, given that I have two 10/11 year old brothers and a grandmother that are home 24/7. It's unfortunate, but I have no free time to be playing anything 14+. And after everyone goes to sleep I usually do more constructive things such as using the free and quiet time to draw, write and read. That's basically why I tend to go the 3D way more, because it's basically get in, have your fun and get out - no need to go through lengthy storylines and choice arcs.

Frankly I think the last eroges I have more than three hours of play are Let's Meow Meow ( as an advocate of Nekomimi, I couldn't lose this, could I? ) and Pick Me Honey. Fun games, but I just don't think they would compare to the deeper ones, such as Clannad, Kanon and other visual novels that are much more about their plots than anything else. I do, however, think I'll be playing Yumemiru Kusuri sometime soon, given a friend of mine has the English version ( Funny enough, we actually became friends after we had a lengthy discussion about Eroges... Oh lord, where are we heading off to?) and I'm interested in getting it from him.

All in all, there's some 40 gigs of eroges in my Game folder, 80% just sitting there and waiting to be played.

AND, after this lengthy and very unnecessary discussion about my otaku hobbies, let's go back to talking about hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan
Man this has turned into some funky Hgame/Mythbusters/PCgeekery crossbreed of a thread
Indeed it has. So much, melodramatic dog is amazed.

@tiachopvutru:

Cute Shana sig is cute.

Oh, and if you're really that concerned about static discharge, perhaps you could consider one of these:

Except exchange the duct tape for electrical, non-conductive stuff and crank it up with your PC building. Shouldn't be that expensive

Note.: Yes, I'm mentally unstable at the moment. I hate pointers.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 16:56   Link #95
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Haha -----------------> Zero Shinohara
[point(er) at]

Anyway, I got my delivery today. They left them at the front door. The PSU is still being transited to VA. Sadly, because no one was (read: household wasn't) home when the delivery arrived, they didn't leave the monitor and will later make the 2nd attempt.

I notice that the thermal paste is missing, too. Wonder if it's packaged with the monitor.

PS: Meh, no snow day today. I stayed up until sooo late, too. There's no early release either. Hopefully the low temperature tonight will ice the street (which currently is wet), and snow day tomorrow.

@WanderingKnight: I definitely agree. Most efforts thanks to Zero Shinohara, hobbes_fan, and Ledgem

EDIT: Strange... the Hard drive and the Thermal Paste that should have been in the package aren't there...
EDIT2: Nvm, they wrapped those with the RAM and I wasn't able to see it <.<

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2007-12-05 at 17:24.
Old 2007-12-05, 18:15   Link #96
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru
Haha -----------------> Zero Shinohara
[point(er) at]
[Vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!111![/Vader]

Quote:
Anyway, I got my delivery today. They left them at the front door. The PSU is still being transited to VA. Sadly, because no one was (read: household wasn't) home when the delivery arrived, they didn't leave the monitor and will later make the 2nd attempt.

I notice that the thermal paste is missing, too. Wonder if it's packaged with the monitor.

PS: Meh, no snow day today. I stayed up until sooo late, too. There's no early release either. Hopefully the low temperature tonight will ice the street (which currently is wet), and snow day tomorrow.

@WanderingKnight: I definitely agree. Most efforts thanks to Zero Shinohara, hobbes_fan, and Ledgem

EDIT: Strange... the Hard drive and the Thermal Paste that should have been in the package aren't there...
EDIT2: Nvm, they wrapped those with the RAM and I wasn't able to see it <.<
Sounds funny to me that they'd leave the boxes there with $600+ in hardware and just keep the monitor I think it's because you can't help but realize it is a monitor by looking at the box, huh? Still, hopefully you'll have the time tomorrow to do it, and that your monitor will be there on time.

And yep, do look hard for the small parts in the packaging. Newegg rarely sends stuff like HDs and Ram Sticks in fancy packaging as to reduce shipping costs and what-not, so they tend to stick close parts together in the funniest places.

My grandma usually has ther TV turned on very high, and since she's the one who's always at home at the time my packages arrive, I like to leave a little note on the door that asks the delivery guy to knock hard on the door or her window, if he could. They usually don't have a problem with doing that, although I'd rather have them take my stuff back and deliver it later than just simply leave it at the door. I know the chances of getting robbed aren't high around here, but coming from a place where you can't even walk alone after 6:00 PM without fearing for your life, I tend to be extra careful

And by the way, don't throw away those packing peanuts, the bubble wrap or the boxes they came in just yet. If you need to RMA anything, you don't need to buy'em again.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-12-05, 22:07   Link #97
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Sounds funny to me that they'd leave the boxes there with $600+ in hardware and just keep the monitor
I can't disagree that it is.

Quote:
Still, hopefully you'll have the time tomorrow to do it, and that your monitor will be there on time.
My PSU isn't here yet either since it was actually gotten from CA warehouse. In any case, if there's a snow day tomorrow would probably mean I'll have time. It will also serve to reside my big dose of homework for Friday to Monday. But, I honestly just hope my household is home when the delivery gets here. *sigh*, I wish I could just tell them to go to the back to the stair that leads to the basement and knock. <.<

Quote:
And yep, do look hard for the small parts in the packaging. Newegg rarely sends stuff like HDs and Ram Sticks in fancy packaging as to reduce shipping costs and what-not, so they tend to stick close parts together in the funniest places.
Yep... I probably would never be able to find it had my sister not point it out

Quote:
My grandma usually has ther TV turned on very high, and since she's the one who's always at home at the time my packages arrive, I like to leave a little note on the door that asks the delivery guy to knock hard on the door or her window, if he could. They usually don't have a problem with doing that, although I'd rather have them take my stuff back and deliver it later than just simply leave it at the door. I know the chances of getting robbed aren't high around here, but coming from a place where you can't even walk alone after 6:00 PM without fearing for your life, I tend to be extra careful
I'd rather they wouldn't do that either... but I guess there's no choice, eh?

Quote:
And by the way, don't throw away those packing peanuts, the bubble wrap or the boxes they came in just yet. If you need to RMA anything, you don't need to buy'em again.
Oh, okay. Just hope there's no need to RMA anything though.

PS: Anyway, things actually look a bit more confusing up close. For example, for the backplate that comes with the motherboard... which way do I put it in? I'm seeing two ways to fix it into the space at the back of the case.

And in this picture. Do I install the 2 memory sticks on the yellow and red next to the CPU slot. Or do I install it on the two yellow holders?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga

Last edited by teachopvutru; 2007-12-05 at 22:42.
Old 2007-12-06, 00:00   Link #98
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

ram slots wok in pairs usually, sometimes not (remember when I spoke about dual channel RAM and the slightly better performance it offers?) You will need to read your mother board manual (see ram installation section of manual) if you need to use paired colour slots (red+red or yellow+yellow) or not (red+yellow).

But it's always best to start with the 1st slot and just use the appropriate slot for the next one to get dual channel performance.
Old 2007-12-06, 01:15   Link #99
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Apparently, each two that's close to each other is a channel. The closest RAM slot to the CPU is DDRII1, and in chronological order, DDRII2, DDRII3, DDRII4 to each RAM slot after that. (so yellows are DDRII1 and DDRII3, and red are 2 and 4)

There's a table on the page but I don't really understand what that means:

>>Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table
Code:
|            | DDRII1| DDRII2 | DDRII3 | DDRII4|
|Two Modules | DS/SS | --     | DS/SS  | --    |
|            | --    | DS/SS  | --     | DS/SS |
|Four Modules| DS/SS | DS/SS  | DS/SS  | DS/SS |
(SS=Single-Sided, DS=Double-Sided, "--"=No Memory)
Can't really say for sure if I know exactly what it is but, it does look like I should go for the same colors

PS: That was a pain creating that table..

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-12-06, 01:20   Link #100
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

The backplate as in, the hardly sturdy aluminum plate that comes with the Mobo and attaches to the back of the case? If so then you'll have to see which way it's pointing. Just try it out up close, because I doubt you'll miss it if you do. If you want to know which way you attach it to the case, then it is likely that it's from the outside of the case inwards, instead of being the opposite. I could be wrong, though, since it's been some time since I last took mine out.

And it dual-channel usually does work with ram slots of different colors. I don't know why the two slots aren't placed close together, but for some reason most motherboards I've seen have the pairs separated. No big deal though.

Also, when you actually get your hands on the working machine, remove one stick and run Memtest86. If you have no errors, pluck it out, insert the other stick and do it again. It'll ensure that you know if your sticks have any errors in them. Ram is pretty picky sometimes, and you could end up having a lot of crazy behavior that is just hard to figure out the reason behind.

Fight-o! Keep working on it

Tags
building computers, hardware