Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
Too bad its overpriced and overrated.
Also, Athlon 64 FX> Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and cost 400 less ^^
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 11:44   Link #82
navi432001
Completely Unproductive

Over priced yes I was going through the alien ware site lastnight and made a $20,500 custom computer..... but then again I added 2 30'' lcd screens..
navi432001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 16:00   Link #83
Cichlisuite

I can build the very same Alienware system MUCH cheaper and with a better case.
Old 2004-08-26, 19:25   Link #84
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
If your a big gamer buy a AlienWare Area-51 ALX

heh, well if your suggesting Alenware I advise you to read the thread No no on P4 or the us.

Little change of plans, I need to find a prebuilt system now or a good place in Canada that builds customs, perferably in eastern Canada. Apperently I wont get a good bit of the money if I build it myself (father wont buy my computer).
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 19:45   Link #85
kree

Maybe one of these guys can set up a fake website, You show your father, He sends the check and they buy/builld it for you.

Of course that might be a bad idea.

Unfortunatly I cannot suggest any good places, Since I have never bought a computer in Canada.

Quote:
I can build the very same Alienware system MUCH cheaper and with a better case
I'm still hesitant to conceed 'MUCH' cheaper, However you are completly correct on the better case part.
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 23:55   Link #86
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kree
Maybe one of these guys can set up a fake website, You show your father, He sends the check and they buy/builld it for you.
its CC I'm afraid
Old 2004-08-27, 00:03   Link #87
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
its CC I'm afraid
What? You wouldn't trust us with his credit card information?

I'm hurt, really...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 03:04   Link #88
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

try going to a local shop this way you get the parts you want, they can assemble.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 13:16   Link #89
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
try going to a local shop this way you get the parts you want, they can assemble.
No offence to anyone who tried to help, but for gods sakes read the bloody thread before you comment. Comments like this show that you havent >.<
Old 2004-09-05, 09:25   Link #90
Grona
Big Damit!

I dont know what I should do anymore, eveyone is telling me not to build my own ><
Old 2004-09-05, 12:49   Link #91
LynnieS

Deleted. Why confuse the issue?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 14:08   Link #92
Grona
Big Damit!

Deleted? 0_o

Heh, I'm hearing it so much now its getting me nervous about buying the parts (cant get ANYTHING here not even a case) and having somthing happen where by somthing is screwed up and I have to go though the trouble of getting a replacement or my money back.
(about a grand of that wont even be my money >< )
Old 2004-09-05, 23:42   Link #93
LynnieS

Quote:
Deleted? 0_o

Heh, I'm hearing it so much now its getting me nervous about buying the parts (cant get ANYTHING here not even a case) and having somthing happen where by somthing is screwed up and I have to go though the trouble of getting a replacement or my money back.
(about a grand of that wont even be my money >< )
I deleted my post since I wasn't sure if it impacts your situation. No worries. Just figure out what you want to do, and then go for it.

If you decide to build your own from parts, the odds of something going badly wrong, esp. if you're careful about following the instructions, aren't too high, IMHO. It can still happen, but if you buy the stuff from a reputable place, you should still be protected... unless it's due to pure carelessness.

The worst has to be the CPU/heatsink installation onto the motherboard, IMHO, but the AMD64 heatsink, I thought, was simple to install. I definitely cursed fewer times whilst doing that. Just don't forget the thermal compound, or you'll really be in trouble.

Using a well-designed case, also, is a good idea. I picked up the Antec Sonata case, and its enclosures placement makes installing the HDs, DVD drive, and floppy drive easy to do.

Don't know if there's any company that sells AMD64 systems, however, but I've never looked. Cheers.

Old 2004-09-06, 00:30   Link #94
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
I deleted my post since I wasn't sure if it impacts your situation. No worries. Just figure out what you want to do, and then go for it.

If you decide to build your own from parts, the odds of something going badly wrong, esp. if you're careful about following the instructions, aren't too high, IMHO. It can still happen, but if you buy the stuff from a reputable place, you should still be protected... unless it's due to pure carelessness.

The worst has to be the CPU/heatsink installation onto the motherboard, IMHO, but the AMD64 heatsink, I thought, was simple to install. I definitely cursed fewer times whilst doing that. Just don't forget the thermal compound, or you'll really be in trouble.

Using a well-designed case, also, is a good idea. I picked up the Antec Sonata case, and its enclosures placement makes installing the HDs, DVD drive, and floppy drive easy to do.

Don't know if there's any company that sells AMD64 systems, however, but I've never looked. Cheers.
Just for the record, there is still a possibily that the local radio shack will build it... very little though >< I have been looking at prebuilt systems and yea, if I wanted an intel I could get what I wanted easy but since I want an AMD64 my selection is reeeealy limited.

Yea, the heatsink is the scarry part, can burn up alot of cash if I screw up (that is the part that makes me go ooooooh shit ^^' )

Oh yea, should mention, the price of the ATI AIW 9800 pro has gone down $100 lately. neatness! That combined with the likelyhood of going with sound on the MB will probly save $200
Old 2004-09-06, 12:56   Link #95
LynnieS

Quote:
Just for the record, there is still a possibily that the local radio shack will build it... very little though >< I have been looking at prebuilt systems and yea, if I wanted an intel I could get what I wanted easy but since I want an AMD64 my selection is reeeealy limited.
Intel had some bad news recently, and a part of me wants to wait a bit longer to pick up a P4 for the PCI-X motherboard that I have and see if the price goes down; the odds of that happening - fairly low, I would imagine - but if you (or I for that matter) wait, it's never going to happen. Electronics is completely depreciable unless you're talking about those ultra-rare and expensive items that are one-of-a-kind.

Quote:
Yea, the heatsink is the scarry part, can burn up alot of cash if I screw up (that is the part that makes me go ooooooh shit ^^' )

Oh yea, should mention, the price of the ATI AIW 9800 pro has gone down $100 lately. neatness! That combined with the likelyhood of going with sound on the MB will probly save $200
I will admit that I didn't do the best job installing the AMD CPU onto the motherboard; this was an 2400+ (I think) and not the AMD64 chip, so it could have been made better. It still works fine and came out well, however, despite - or perhaps due to - the cursing.

The AIW 9800 Pro is, I thought, a good board, which made decent compromises between performance and capabilities. I still went with the AIW 9600 Pro for the system, though, since I felt, at the time, it had a bigger bang for the bucks. You can always upgrade later if it doesn't work out; I don't see the AGP interface going away for another few years.

If you're going to go with building your own PC and have pick out your board, try and see if the manufacturer has a forum. Browsing through MSI's forums helped me a lot in picking out components, and the members were helpful in figuring out if the dream system will actually be worth the money.

Old 2004-09-06, 13:50   Link #96
Cichlisuite

Just buy the parts and build it already It really isnt all that hard as it sounds.
Old 2004-09-06, 21:10   Link #97
Liddo
wheeeee!~

Send a message via AIM to Liddo Send a message via MSN to Liddo Send a message via Yahoo to Liddo
athlon64... sigh.... i got a p4 and it works like 10 times better.... + i wouldnt think about getting the new 5XX p4s.. cause those just suck the socket 775 is just plain stupid.. cant overclock and cant do anything... anything past 10% and bang the computer shuts down... i'm using a p4 3.0E and it works fine .. its running at 3.61 ghz right now and cool as you can get... 38/30 idle 45/35 at max..my suggestion .. get that and a 9800pro and a TV tuner card...with like an audigy 2 ZS gamer.. ram get some nice ddr 400s.. since the cas timings are really low now on those.. unlike the ddr533s.... (ddr 400 2.0 3 3 5)(ddr533 4.0 6 6 10) big diff... lol.....but thats just my opinion.. heh...
Liddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 21:35   Link #98
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo
athlon64... sigh.... i got a p4 and it works like 10 times better.... + i wouldnt think about getting the new 5XX p4s.. cause those just suck the socket 775 is just plain stupid.. cant overclock and cant do anything... anything past 10% and bang the computer shuts down... i'm using a p4 3.0E and it works fine .. its running at 3.61 ghz right now and cool as you can get... 38/30 idle 45/35 at max..my suggestion .. get that and a 9800pro and a TV tuner card...with like an audigy 2 ZS gamer.. ram get some nice ddr 400s.. since the cas timings are really low now on those.. unlike the ddr533s.... (ddr 400 2.0 3 3 5)(ddr533 4.0 6 6 10) big diff... lol.....but thats just my opinion.. heh...
rofl, one aspect that I have done my homework on is the processor. Unless you can give me some detail on why your saying that I dont think I really can listen. In every aspect the AMD64s spack the P4s in what I have seen, especilay since I like to multitask without my system getting unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlisuite
Just buy the parts and build it already It really isnt all that hard as it sounds.
dont pressure me damit, rofl You know the first time always is the most tramatic
Old 2004-09-06, 22:01   Link #99
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Any other questions you would like to ask?
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 23:49   Link #100
Grona
Big Damit!

well nothing off the top of my head now, but in everyones opinion is it really nessesary to get one of those anti-staic wrist things? I have never had one.