Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-04-15, 19:30   Link #81
Alchemist007
*Author

Spoiler for "Episode" 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Well yea it wasn't too difficult since I don't even like idol series. the only one I've ever paid attention to was that AKB one because of the science fiction setting. But I can see where Twi is coming from.
Actually same, AKB0048 is where my avatar is from. Went into it for the scifi twist.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2023-04-15 at 19:40.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 00:43   Link #82
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
It's crazy that this is sitting at the #1 spot on MAL.
Oshi no Ko
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season - Kanketsu-hen
Steins;Gate
Bleach: Sennen Kessen-hen
Gintama°
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
Gintama: The Final
Gintama

Crap, my eyes started rotting looking at this ranking
"Normies" are weird

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-16, 04:58   Link #83
Alchemist007
*Author

It's really not worth paying attention to that, aside from laughing at it.
Old 2023-04-16, 05:26   Link #84
Sides

I kind of enjoyed it. It is like a crime X paranormal X idol show.
Bit surprised at the feature length first episode, considering that it could have been divvied up into two to four episodes, I did prefer what they have done here.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-17, 02:37   Link #85
Marina2

This show wasn't on my radar but I heard a lot of buzz around it and decided to check it out...and wow. One of the best first episode (to be fair, it's more like we were forced through 3 episodes rule) I have seen.
Old 2023-04-19, 10:34   Link #86
Frontier

We finally have Opening visuals! And it's a very energetic and poppy number from Yoasobi albeit with visuals that underlay how this is more of a suspense thriller in the entertainment industry than an idol anime as Aqua and Ruby try to live their lives surrounded by Ai's memory and the people around them .

Ruby is on her way to becoming an idol! Sure she can't sing all that great, and she might think she can get by with her idol status instead of her studies, but she can make up for anything with sheer enthusiasm. Maybe .

Of course Aqua is there to give her a cold, stoic, reality check and set her straight about what she can really expect working in the idol industry. And all he seems focused on is keeping Ruby from becoming another Ai (and on getting revenge) even if it makes him come off so dispassionate and frosty. Not that it really deters Ruby though, she's finally gotten a chance to really live and be someone in this world, and live up to the memory of her mother, and she's not going to miss it .

I guess it's no surprise B Komachi disbanded. Without Ai, what would be the point of keeping them going? And Miyako ended up taking over the company when Saito bailed, though she really has become a true adoptive mother for the siblings, especially Ruby. And just like Aqua she knows the reality of the industry, but as a mother she can't deny her daughter her dream .

There's overprotective brother and then there's faking a call and fooling your own sister into thinking she was rejected after an audition and manipulating the situation to make sure she never realizes the truth. I get where Aqua is coming from, yet it also shows how he's willing to do and manipulate anyone or anything to get what he wants, even his own family .

Smooth talent scout Aqua! He looked quite handsome like that. And we get to see the real world of underground idols where there's member friction, managers who are just in it for kicks (and chicks), and barely any payment. I do kind of like how Aqua still tried to get the girl a job after roping her into it but Miyako wants nothing to do with someone who would badmouth their co-workers .

I guess if they can't stop Ruby from becoming the idol, they may as well keep her in-house and re-form a new idol team. I wonder who else they might recruit though? The rest of the main cast ?

I love how Taishi is still living with his mom in his 40's, yet he's there to impart some wisdom onto Aqua about maybe shutting up about Ai for five minutes and maybe giving acting another shot...not that it seems like Aqua is that passionate about it, he just wants to work in the entertainment industry to find their father and get revenge, yet he can't forget the memory of Ai hoping he'd become an actor. Will he get back into the acting game? Time will tell .

Oh hey, Kana! Still getting mistaken for eating baking soda, I see. Oh and she finally reunites with her old "rival" only to discover he has no interest in acting again. Poor girl .

The ED hits hard! Especially with the gritty and atmospheric visuals of Aqua and Ruby and Aqua surrounded by a web of intrigue and his own memories of Ai .
Old 2023-04-19, 19:00   Link #87
ryllharu

My favorite character is definitely Miyako.

Going from a lazy wife of the company president who was almost willing to sell out their top talent for money, to doing the company books, then adopting two children and raising them well, to taking over the company and being a real professional company head.

She turned out to be a great adoptive mom, a professional leader, and while she's accepting of Ruby's dreams, she also methodically makes sure Ruby didn't get taken advantage of.

Aqua is kind of a bastard about it, much more aggressively protective, but Miyako definitely worries about them both. Aqua moreso though, given what he keeps doing.

Miyako's little mini-arc between just these two episodes is how you do Show Don't Tell character development right.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 19:26   Link #88
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
My favorite character is definitely Miyako.

Going from a lazy wife of the company president who was almost willing to sell out their top talent for money, to doing the company books, then adopting two children and raising them well, to taking over the company and being a real professional company head.

She turned out to be a great adoptive mom, a professional leader, and while she's accepting of Ruby's dreams, she also methodically makes sure Ruby didn't get taken advantage of.

Aqua is kind of a bastard about it, much more aggressively protective, but Miyako definitely worries about them both. Aqua moreso though, given what he keeps doing.

Miyako's little mini-arc between just these two episodes is how you do Show Don't Tell character development right.
Yeah, she's the MVP.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 19:28   Link #89
Dark Wing

While I understand why Aqua is doing what he's doing. However it's very underhanded to interfere with Ruby's career aspirations to this degree. Luckily they adopted mother seemed to have found a compromise by just resurrecting

Also I don't understand why Aqua doesn't believe he has the chops to be an actor. He had the idol completely fooled and with Kana back in the picture maybe she'll be able to get him back into acting.
Old 2023-04-19, 19:37   Link #90
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
While I understand why Aqua is doing what he's doing. However it's very underhanded to interfere with Ruby's career aspirations to this degree. Luckily they adopted mother seemed to have found a compromise by just resurrecting

Also I don't understand why Aqua doesn't believe he has the chops to be an actor. He had the idol completely fooled and with Kana back in the picture maybe she'll be able to get him back into acting.
Next arc will be exactly about it. Though, it is more that he prefers not to be in a spotlight but still get the contacts he wants if possible.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-19, 19:41   Link #91
ryllharu

Quote:
The scenes with Kana in episode 1 spelled it out, but then it was confirmed again in a different manner during the intercut flashbacks while he was narrating at the Director's.

Kana had talent back then. She was a little arrogant, and The Director used Aqua to stamp out Kana's childhood arrogance as much as he could.

Aqua didn't act at all in the film. He just read the lines. It frustrated him that he was being used like that. 'You're creepy enough as you are.' But Kana never caught on that he wasn't acting because she was just a kid back then and it shocked her back to humility, and also left a lasting impression on her that she could be better than what she was (a good and consistent child actor who can cry convincingly). She's obviously spent the last decade continuing to act and still wanted to improve her craft. It's funny she thought of Aqua as a rival despite never meeting him again until now.

In the intercut flashbacks during the narration, Aqua did try to become an actor while he was tutoring under the Director. But he didn't have the drive the other would-be actors did. Aqua didn't have that spark that screams "Watch Me" that Ai did, and Ruby does. So he faded into the crew side of film production after he lost the will to follow through on his mother's final dreams for him.
Old 2023-04-19, 20:00   Link #92
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Darn, the show really is good. Even at points when I was ready to complain a bit, the show really does pull off some strong moments.

While Aqua is a jerk at points, he still leaves this episode looking just plain tragic. It is a sad sight that he gave up on the acting thing. But in a way it's no surprise. He couldn't even tackle it with a level head. The desire to fulfill Ai's dying words and the pitch black desire to get revenge for her death have him rather messed up. In a sense they could still go in the same direction, but probably not easy when the two motivations come from rather different emotional states.

Of course also fair to say the biggest thing is Aqua not having any faith in himself. He looks at what he struggles with or can't do instead of what he can. The Director already pointed it out before. Yes Aqua didn't really "act" in that scene as a kid. But he was able to fully grasp what the Director wanted from him and could deliver that. He also utterly fails to see what talents he does have since he clearly can act. Even if fooling Ruby isn't requiring a legendary performance he still pulled that off. Same goes with luring in that other idol. While that also puts him well on the path to be a con artist, it certainly shows that he has the ability.

I totally get why he's against letting Ruby be an idol. But it's also extremely cruel. Even if she was just a regular girl it would be. But it's even crueler to do that to someone who lived the life she did before dying in her past life. She finally has a body that moves the way she wants and the ability to chase her dreams. Taking that away from her is wrong. Obviously there is a serious risk level in that job and even can say that Ruby's life is also at risk if their father realizes who she is. But it is her life. He's ready to throw his life away to become a murderer after all. Let her risk her life in whatever way she wants.

I will say that it was nice to see that Kana girl again. Seems like she'll be a valuable influence. Aqua was a powerful force on her life and now she's got the chance to turn that around on him. Good luck to her because that guy is gloomy as heck.
Old 2023-04-19, 23:20   Link #93
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Between this being on #1 on MAL, people I know outside of here spamming multiple spoilers daily, the whole idol thing - I'm avoiding this before I even begin. At least I knew the initial twist before blatantly being spoiled (posting the hugs as she's dying - why would people want to spam THAT...) - not exactly hard to see that coming given the eyes.

And maybe that's what irks me most. This feels like a copypasta of titles I've seen before, Code Geass being the most blatant one. But putting it within an idol setting suddenly makes it all different/better? Then again, I expect nothing different from an author who made an utter joke of human relations in Kaguya-sama.

To those watching, have fun. But the fandom elsewhere is obscene.

@serenade - Humans are vicarious creatures. The universe is hostile. You don't need any other explanation.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2023-04-20 at 00:42.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 00:43   Link #94
Shadow5YA

Quote:
He's good at very particular types of roles that are close to his real personality and notices that he's lacking in others.

Like Gotanda said, it's still acting and I would still consider it a skill, but it's easy for someone as negative as Aqua to discount what he does as not acting.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 02:22   Link #95
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*episode 1 is 90 minutes*
*still finds the need to spend 3 minutes (including OP) going over ep1 at the beginning of ep 2*

Also, I just realized this due to the lackluster performance by Ruby's VA, but why are we using someone who has had almost no experience for one of the main characters? And like, just one of the main characters?
*sniff sniff* Smells like money.
Hmm... That amusingly fits this show

As for the ED... I mean, I probably won't ever listen to it again, but his voice constantly switching into a high pitch was kinda funny

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2023-04-20 at 02:43.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 03:21   Link #96
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Also, I just realized this due to the lackluster performance by Ruby's VA, but why are we using someone who has had almost no experience for one of the main characters? And like, just one of the main characters?
*sniff sniff* Smells like money.
Hmm... That amusingly fits this show
I don't think she's bad. My guess is she got cast through an audition. Suguta Hina had minimal experience before My Dress Up Darling, and by the end everyone was very happy with her, so I think any judgement is premature. On the flip side, there's also the Idolmaster/Wakeup/Love Live affiliated VAs, who are backed by a ton of money...but quite a few of them have very minimal roles after years and years of being pushed in main or supporting roles.

Your complaint sounds a lot like the horrible way the fandom treated Han Megumi (who is playing Kana) when she took over the role of Gon in HxH in her breakthrough role, despite winning it through an audition against 100 other people.

But on the other end, since I don't know, Ruby's VA is affiliated with 81Produce, which is a huge firm with some of the more beloved VAs around here.

Last edited by ryllharu; 2023-04-20 at 03:32.
Old 2023-04-20, 04:15   Link #97
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Between this being on #1 on MAL, people I know outside of here spamming multiple spoilers daily, the whole idol thing - I'm avoiding this before I even begin. At least I knew the initial twist before blatantly being spoiled (posting the hugs as she's dying - why would people want to spam THAT...) - not exactly hard to see that coming given the eyes.

And maybe that's what irks me most. This feels like a copypasta of titles I've seen before, Code Geass being the most blatant one. But putting it within an idol setting suddenly makes it all different/better? Then again, I expect nothing different from an author who made an utter joke of human relations in Kaguya-sama.

To those watching, have fun. But the fandom elsewhere is obscene.

@serenade - Humans are vicarious creatures. The universe is hostile. You don't need any other explanation.
I won't argue asthe series is a bit overhyped and each their own, but you seem to misunderstood regarding what it will be about.

Also, why agree with Beta? They criticize every series they watch?
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 04:59   Link #98
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I won't argue asthe series is a bit overhyped and each their own, but you seem to misunderstood regarding what it will be about.
I don't think you understand just how much I've been spoiled on. Someone I know in Asia posts 10+ spoilers each day about this show. And I've intentionally not mentioned other titles because I can see what mix of titles it's trying to replicate.
Old 2023-04-20, 05:02   Link #99
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
I don't think you understand just how much I've been spoiled on. Someone I know in Asia posts 10+ spoilers each day about this show. And I've intentionally not mentioned other titles because I can see what mix of titles it's trying to replicate.

Beta is not giving out good-high scores out for titles so easily and only gives them when they're truly compelled to - I respect that.
Old 2023-04-20, 06:12   Link #100
Ghostfriendly

Moral bankruptcy of the pop idol industry is a first world problem. If Oddtaxi and Aggretsuko had only been about that, they wouldn't have been great series. What else is this story about?
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idol, showbiz, supernatural