AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-21, 17:17   Link #81
grecefar

I would've like this a lot more if chela were to be the true main character, but it seems the main focus is oliver and nanao with some scenes here and there of the others.

This is it for me, I didn't like it in the end.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-21, 19:40   Link #82
Strahan

What was with the tense ending music just before the creds? It's as if someone actually scary proposed a duel lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
To be fair, they are both first years like him so he thinks they still can't really be that much better than him, maybe that is true.
I'd buy that explanation if he didn't just see Oliver and Nanao fighting last episode. I think they made it pretty obvious he's outclassed, but his pride won't let him take another path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Also...pretty concerning that Nanao is that baffled on why someone wouldn't want to fight her to the death
That was pretty amusing. I was waiting for her to be like "awww c'mon, just let me kill you a little. Think of my happiness! Pleeeeeeeease...." lol

But, at least she did admit it's twisted
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-21, 21:55   Link #83
Dark Wing

Yea I think I'm going to dip into the Novels later because this feels like it's missing so much context and explanation for things.
Old 2023-07-21, 23:34   Link #84
Applehell

One of things i really liked about this episode was it showing that on the contrary to some might have been expecting, Oliver is not almighty problem solver like your LN MCs. He doesn't always have all the right answers, can get angry when he's far emotional invested in problems concerning himself that it clouds his judgement. If not Chela leading the discussion with Nanao things wouldn't gone anywhere and Nanao might still be attempting suicide to get over her confusion and heartbreak. She is quickly becoming the true linchpin of the group whose affordable nature makes her easy to talk too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I'd buy that explanation if he didn't just see Oliver and Nanao fighting last episode. I think they made it pretty obvious he's outclassed, but his pride won't let him take another path.
Yeah, I acknowledge the pride aspect but stubbornness is a thing for people like him which feeds into that. The guy clearly has a lot pressure got have a chip on his shoulder and Oliver stepping on landmine by planning to throw fight just made it 100 times worse. But beating him would probably have the similar effect.

Quote:
That was pretty amusing. I was waiting for her to be like "awww c'mon, just let me kill you a little. Think of my happiness! Pleeeeeeeease...." lol

But, at least she did admit it's twisted
Well easier to come to that realization when your not in your war-torn country where that was that perfectly acceptable. Which leaves your beliefs in a... awkward place to say the least.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-22, 15:19   Link #85
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh, Hi Snape

Is this 2-cour? The characters get saved from two new characters by two new characters, we get Kaoru-dono's past and she gets therapied on the spot, Snape is trying to do Hagrid in, two new characters save Hermione, and we also get the past of that Hyouken character clone and a bit of the gyaru's. So many skirmishes with new characters that it felt hardly like anything progressed

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-22, 16:01   Link #86
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Oh, Hi Snape

Is this 2-cour? The characters get saved from two new characters by two new characters, we get Kaoru-dono's past and she gets therapied on the spot, Snape is trying to do Hagrid in, two new characters save Hermione, and we also get the past of that Hyouken character clone and a bit of the gyaru's. So many skirmishes with new characters that it felt hardly like anything progressed
Yeah, I asked the same on the last page. Really feels like this show should have two cours.
Old 2023-07-22, 19:38   Link #87
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Oh, Hi Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, I asked the same on the last page. Really feels like this show should have two cours.
Its 15 episodes, so about a 1 cour and a half. Its a good length to cover the first 3 novels which compromise of Year 1 at Kimberly Academy depending on break down the remain content. A lot of characters the you mentioned are not only going to be showing up over this cour, but if S2 happens then in that as well. Spellblades has large cast and the first novel which we are still in serves partially as introduction a lot of them while progresses its core conflicts one of which it just setting now Oliver & Nanao's estrangement.

EDIT Also Garland isn't new. He appeared in episode 1 and was introduced episode 2 as the Sword Arts teacher. Opheila and Rivermoore were introduced in last episode's cliffhanger. So Godfrey, Carlos, Vera and Darius were the only new characters here actually.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-23 at 03:52.
Old 2023-07-22, 20:21   Link #88
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man, all I could hear from that teacher is that he was planning on getting fired. Honestly sounds like he could be fired on the spot considering he both committed an act that is banned and openly admitted that he'd do it again.

Also I feel like the show doesn't know when dramatic music is appropriate. Getting challenged by an idiot like Andrews isn't exactly a "oh my god" level of ending to an episode. Just a "oh god this guy again" kind of moment. I'm sure he's not completely useless if he was regularly compared to Michela. But if he's even challenging them to a 2 on 1 fight then I really don't know where the drama is coming from .

Good episode overall though. Like the chaos and the threat level in this school. The older students are powerful and that's a concern when some of them are mentally unstable.

Nice moments for Nanao. At least they are pushing her steadily towards finding a good place to be mentally. And if she can find a way to live that doesn't involve fighting the guy she likes to death then all the better .
Old 2023-07-28, 11:59   Link #89
Frontier

I never thought I'd feel so invested in the fate of a Troll, but I have to admire Katie's persistence in trying to get through to him. Don't listen to the haters, Katie !

When will the Katie bullying stop? It gets so bad that the usually calm and rational Oliver finally has enough and straight up blows up some bullies and gets into a brawl with Nanao and Guy by his side. That's standing up for your friend! And it seems like Guy straight up beat them up with his fists. Totally worth a stay in detention...which is literally a jail cell in this school. And who needs the respect of the other first years when the group has each other !

Man, Andrews really went all out to have his duel with Nanao and Oliver happen in some huge colosseum with a big audience. Though it's less of a duel and more of a hunt as they just use a bunch of Kobolds as target practice so they can compete to see who can kill the most. They're wild animals, but there's no real honor in just using them and killing them like this, and Nanao won't partake in it. I would've loved to have seen her fight her way out of the colosseum .

I guess there is a kind of karmic justice that a frikkin' Garuda shows up and starts slaughtering everybody, with the Kobolds running loose as well. The hunters become the prey and get sliced and diced by the very thing they were there to watch die for their amusement. Seems like whoever summoned the Garuda meant it that way, judging by their message .

Well, yeah, no surprise Andrews straight up bails only to have to be saved by Nanao who he's acted so insulting towards, and we get an epic clash between Nanao and the Garuda with Oliver chipping in. To be honest I'm just impressed how much of the Garuda was traditionally animated .

Brave of Oliver to be willing to let the Garuda take a piece of him to give Nanao her opening, but Andrews came through with a wind attack and let Nanao behead that Garuda in style! Just also watch out for your own bleeding wound, okay Nanao ?

I'm glad they were able to resolve things (because there was no way teachers were going to show up at this point) and Nanao and Oliver gained a newfound respect for each other, and Andrews with himself, and it even seems like Michela is quite happy to see Rick proving himself again. Maybe there's a little more going on there too ?

I'm guessing that person at the end there was responsible for the Garuda? And they have white hair? Hmmm ...
Old 2023-07-28, 14:00   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I feel like they could have played up the mystery of who was behind this a bit more . But oh well.

Honestly, I was left wondering if the main cast should really be fighting at all. It seemed like karma had found all those morons and was giving them exactly what they deserved. They wanted a show. They got a show! Wanted some animals hunted and they basically got that too.

Of course I think this is going to show that extremes exist on all sides. If there are people that are supportive of the magical beasts of the world, why wouldn't some think humans are the ones deserving to be hunted down?

Katie will probably remain the middle ground. She's not on the extreme that only sees magical creatures as resources or sport. But she's not going to agree with just sicking those beasts on people to hunt them down in revenge. Would probably see even that side as simply using beasts. If they really cared about those kobolds they could have tried to get them out of there. Not summon a Garuda and turn the whole situation into a disaster. I'm guessing finding her voice will be finding the will to stand up to both extremes.

The fight was good though. Nanao wanted a good fight and she got it here. Heck I think her own words reflected that she probably just saved Andrew to protect the Garuda from disrespecting itself any further by attacking a fleeing opponent . Though Andrew did at least give himself a bit of self-respect by helping out near the end. Presuming Michela's ship is with Andrew, one would hope he keeps improving from the guy he's been so far.
Old 2023-07-28, 14:20   Link #91
Five_Overs

The fight scene was absolutely sublime. Putting aside the animation itself, the angles and framing they used was so effective at portraying the menacing, imposing figure that was the garuda. That look in its eyes is all you need to know that its going to frick things up.

And man that sound design. The amazing sound design was already apparent during the Nanao Oliver duel. That same sound design is used here to great effect. Every spell cast, every strike, every clash, every impact can be felt keenly thanks to the booming sound effects that really sells the gravity of the fight. I feel jittery just from that alone.

And then there's the animation itself. The animation conveys the impacts in tandem with the sound. Combined with great use of camera angles. And you have me reeling in tension throughout the fight.

It was worth holding back the budget in the Salvadori & Rivermoore fight just for this. Bravo JC Staff.
Old 2023-07-28, 18:31   Link #92
Applehell

Damn, JC Staff did not disappoint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I feel like they could have played up the mystery of who was behind this a bit more . But oh well.

Honestly, I was left wondering if the main cast should really be fighting at all. It seemed like karma had found all those morons and was giving them exactly what they deserved. They wanted a show. They got a show! Wanted some animals hunted and they basically got that too.
Unfortunately the Garuda is still wild beast and would have attacked them too. That said I think the peeps got the message from the this event.
Old 2023-07-28, 21:50   Link #93
Tenzen12

While there is still more to Oliver then we know I guess we can conclude he isn't most OP character in universe n.9003 who just keep low profile.
Old 2023-07-28, 22:26   Link #94
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
While there is still more to Oliver then we know I guess we can conclude he isn't most OP character in universe n.9003 who just keep low profile.
I'm kind of expecting him to have the Seventh Spellblade the way he looked during that discussion about them.
Old 2023-07-29, 03:25   Link #95
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I'm kind of expecting him to have the Seventh Spellblade the way he looked during that discussion about them.
He definetly has an ace in his shlieve but it probably has some huge drawback as he prefers not to use it.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-29, 08:47   Link #96
magnuskn

Dang, this show suddenly got serious. One has to wonder if all the students made it through that meatgrinder. Also, that students get to manage the entire affair without any oversight from the teachers is also a bit concerning.

This show is definitely in the Harry Potter tradition of their magical society being barbaric in the extreme in some of its aspects.
Old 2023-07-29, 08:50   Link #97
HandofFate

so did any students die, or were the just injured? they all kind of just disappeared into nowhere and aren't seen in the background a sec later
Old 2023-07-29, 09:08   Link #98
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
so did any students die, or were the just injured? they all kind of just disappeared into nowhere and aren't seen in the background a sec later
Honestly I assumed most of them died. School needs to earn it's body count statistic .
Old 2023-07-29, 09:32   Link #99
larethian

It would probably be more glorious if it were handled by Ufotable, but it was good enough to keep me glued to the seat for the whole fight.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-29, 10:07   Link #100
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Some of them were shown getting first aid in the final scenes on the background. But I am sure prt of them actually died.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote