AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-01-16, 19:56   Link #81
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, Ketil's a pretty cool dude for the time period. He treats his slaves well and even allows them to buy their freedom once they've accomplished enough work. I guess he could keep a closer eye on his retainers but he can't be everywhere.

That said... there's no fucking way Thorfinn and Einar would be able to survive on a tiny loaf of bread a day for the both of them. Should have had Einar actually tell on them or Thorfinn showing he has an alternate way of procuring food.

Oh, and something interesting: I re-read the relevant chapter a few minutes ago and noticed that in Einar's very short two panel flashback when he tells Thorfinn his story, his sister (though we had no way of knowing she was his sister in the manga, could have been his girlfriend) was actually taken away alive by the Vikings. In a way, the anime was kinder to her by killing her off before truly horrible things could happen to her...
Now that you mention it, I feel like I recall thinking Einar had a woman from what I remembered of reading his backstory in the manga .
Old 2023-01-16, 21:54   Link #82
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Man Thorfinn is just so submissive from last season just dose his work without complaining

Well the master is using the carrot before the horse dangling freedom for hard work
Old 2023-01-17, 04:44   Link #83
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

As far as slaves and masters go, Einar and Thorfinn got a good deal. Retainers are bad (what are they? semi-slaves?), but the rest of the community seems like a good bunch.

It's good to see the master put in the time and actually do work. And he knows his work well. Sadly his son isn't motivated much, but like all brash young men, he will soon learn his lesson and be humbled.

Poor girl, being used by her own parents for their own goals. In the real world, this kind of practice still exists today, its called marrying up and I wish it wasn't still so prevalent in many cultures (e.g. Asian).

Anyways, Einar's story at night has begun to awaken Thorfinn. Next episode looks to have more conflict.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-17, 07:09   Link #84
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

They keep adding a bit to most sidestories. Probably the one benefitted the most is Einar as in the manga his reaction his crush as kinda hilarious similar to other changes
Old 2023-01-20, 22:46   Link #85
Alchemist007
*Author

Thorfinn's farm life simulator sure is fun.
Old 2023-01-23, 12:03   Link #86
Frontier

Ah yes, shirtless men brawling...gotta love it! I hope those guys who crashed and fell into the sea are okay though .

Fox and Badger were probably expecting Olmar to be a better drinking companion, but he's nothing but an immature child who wants people to be taken seriously but is easily strung along, especially by his foolhardy desire to be seen as a man. Which lets Fox and Badger have a little fun and put him on the path to manhood...through killing, of course !

I don't know why, but I just find the fact that Einar snores charming .

here we've got Einar doing his business while going over the practical standpoint of farming this season while Thorfinn is having a massive nightmare that he can't even remember when he's brought out of it. Thorfinn is still as emotionally tortured as ever, especially when he can't direct his feelings towards killing Askeladd any more .

Ah, the beauty returns! And she's named Arnheid! And she seems to be as sweet as she is beautiful! I don't blame Einar for being head over heels for her. I wonder what the prospect for romances among slaves are though .

Jeez, they've only been there for a few days and already they're getting roped into being lambs to the slaughter for the sake of the young master proving his manhood. And he's barely even able to do that. It's rough going being a slave .

Points to Einar for leaping straight at Olmar and trying to buy time for Thorfinn to escape and get help (granted, it's not like Olmar is much of a fight to begin with), although even though Thorfinn could probably take most if not all of those guys, he just can't muster up the enthusiasm for anything other than offering up his own head. At least it was to save Einar though .

Y'know, Thors would probably take some issue with these thugs calling themselves "warriors." A true warrior is more than just a dealer of death .

Thorfinn's entire existence has been nothing but pain (well, setting aside everything up to the point to where he stowed along on his fathers' trip and encountered Askeladd), so he doesn't fear death. In fact he embraces it to end all the suffering. Not even losing a bit of his ear or getting sliced up is enough to muster much from him, aside from showing off his pain tolerance .

This Snake guy seems respectable enough, at least compared to everybody he's in charge of, and him punching Snake was pretty satisfying. Also looks like he's going to bring a little of the old Thorfinn back out judging by the next episode preview .
Old 2023-01-23, 16:13   Link #87
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

I had not known the lady was the master's personal attendant...whatever that means...but probably we know what it means.

Anyways, I'm sure the nightmare will be explained eventually. First time this season we hear Thorfinn's thoughts. Though, he reverts back to his non chalant emotionless state.

Was surprised to see Thorfinn let his ear get cut off. Did he really just give up on life? He was "saved" in the nick of time by the head of those bodyguards, who it seems will awaken him next episode.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-23, 21:45   Link #88
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Thorfinn just standing there taking all of that and not even letting out a scream
Old 2023-01-24, 06:33   Link #89
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The sword scene was almost Mortal Kombat with the way guy started slicing Thorfinn's body while cheese or something. It's like if Yukimura was watching Reservoir Dogs when writing the series and wanted to imitate the torture scene.

Still, how should we call the bearded man who saved him? Snake or Hebi? I guess Snake is the more appropiate due to the Western setting. The nightmare is kinda obvious though considering how episode 2 ended. Still, this time Yuto Uemura is giving Thorfinn a different pitch from season 1.

Edit: BTW... Einar didn't wash his hands before waking up Thorfinn!

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2023-01-24 at 11:57.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 10:25   Link #90
The 48th Ronin

Sad to see Thorfinn in that state. He's eager to die already.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 06:27   Link #91
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 48th Ronin View Post
Sad to see Thorfinn in that state. He's eager to die already.
Apparently in the manga he's even worse due to his poor nutrition that made his body look younger
Old 2023-01-30, 12:03   Link #92
Frontier

Snake is on the scene and ready to call out his men for acting like idiots above their station while also testing Thorfinn's mettle. I honestly was comparing him to Askeladd but I didn't know they'd get so direct about it that Thorfinn would see Askeladd when he senses Snake's intent to attack him .

Well, there you go! No matter what Thorfinn said, on some instinctual level his body wants to live. Though I guess that might partially be muscle memory...either way, Thorfinn's skills haven't seemed to dull much .

Pater seems like a really nice and reasonable guy! At least there's someone else on the farm that Thorfinn and Einar can rely on. And also Arnheid, who is basically the second angel this season after Mahiru !

Thorfinn's so not used to human kindness or care that he just doesn't know how to react to it. Will Einar make a respectable human out of Thorfinn yet? Although now Einar knows more about Thorfinn's past and what brought him to that point, even if finding out he was like the people who stole his family from kind of kills the bromance .

"I was a warrior." No Thorfinn, you weren't. That was your dads' whole point .

Einar's so full of rage that he tries to choke Thorfinn in his sleep...but honestly the nightmares seem to be causing Thorfinn more pain than Einar's hands around his neck. And his nightmares are being haunted by a childhood of fighting demons and even that woman he bonded with in season 1 who got killed because he lead Askeladd's band to her village. Yeah, Thorfinn is suffering .

Did they bring in Shizuka Ishigami just to do grunts as young Thorfinn? I mean, nice to hear her I guess .

Einar can't bring himself to kill Thorfinn. And he can't bring himself to let Thorfinn wallow in his despair. Maybe their life has sucked and bad things has happened to them, but they're still alive, and that has to mean something, right? Especially for those who loved and cared for them .

"Thank you, Einar. Thank you for waking me up." "I'm sorry, Einar." Those lines I think said a lot more than they appear on the surface, the fact that Einar seems to be awakening in Thorfinn a new reason to live, the fact that Thorfinn genuinely thanked and apologized someone, and that it was to Einar. I feel like this is a true turning point .

Dang, the years have been kind to Canute, even if it seems like he's grown even colder and vicious with those eyes. Also, Floki and Best Kill-Happy Uncle Thorkell !
Old 2023-01-30, 12:20   Link #93
Blaat

That barn scene was quite something else, it's extended and has a different conclusion compared to the equivalent manga chapter but they're probably going to move that moment to another point down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Also, Floki
My first reaction seeing him, was damn is that bastard still alive?
Old 2023-01-30, 19:32   Link #94
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The preview from last week was a bit trollish, teasing a fight between Thorfinn and Snake when said preview had already shown basically all of it

I thought Einar actually trying to strangle Thorfinn was a pretty major change, one I'm not sure I like. And yeah, they changed the conclusion... we'll see where that goes. It's not like the first season didn't make plenty of changes too.
Old 2023-01-30, 21:45   Link #95
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Thorfinn got some life in him yet reacting like that to Snack

That was some night both of them had
Old 2023-01-31, 09:38   Link #96
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Enzo wrote on his blog that he didn't think Einar was actually strangulating Thorfinn but holding himself back from doing so. That was my take on this scene as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-31, 12:14   Link #97
Blaat

I assumed Einar was choking Thorfinn but Enzo's blog post pointed out there are no marks on Thorfinn's neck which I hadn't noticed.
Old 2023-01-31, 16:49   Link #98
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's certainly my take.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-06, 06:45   Link #99
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

In the manga, Einar was more calm. The director talked with Yukimura in making these changes to expand more on the relationship these two have. If you paid attention Thorfinn's nightmare is identical to his first fight coreography except the elder death
Old 2023-02-06, 12:57   Link #100
Frontier

At this point it feels like they're just looking for any excuse to show Askeladd again .

Well, glad to know Canute isn't going to abide by the typical rape and selling off of women that was common among vikings of that era...

Floki still has the most puncheable face ever .

Our favorite crazy uncle who loves fighting and killing is back! And Thorkell is ready to take Canute to task for not feeding his boner for violence while trying to restore peace in England. Even his assistant from season 1 is back !

I dunno why but Canute as King in this episode kind of reminds me of Soo-Won in Yona of the Dawn. Maybe it's that pure commanding presence and stoicism and the lengths he's willing to go for peace and prosperity .

Canute can respect a mans' mettle but still show him the true depths he's willing to go if it means winning this war for the throne of Brittania and restoring peace with him at the head of it. Politics is a dangerous and messy game .

It's amazing how effective poison can be in securing a throne. Not even Thorkell can complain about Canute getting results even if it leaves Thorkell with nothing to do .

Tags
historical, violence