AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-11-22, 10:39   Link #81
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I had to Google "taichi harada train platform," because I didn't remember that scene. It's from the first series, seven years ago. Defining moment it may be, but I would counter that they don't seem to have done much to remind the audience of it lately. I'll have to go back and refresh my memory.
Wasn't there a visual flashback to that 1st season scene this season?? During a Harada narration??

That might be a false memory, of course.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 18:03   Link #82
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Sumire scored some major points in this episode, both with Taichi and me. She understands Taichi more than Chihaya and Arata do. Possibly more than he even understands himself, he's not even sure what exactly he's doing here.

Suo retiring after his next match pretty much confirms either Arata or Taichi will face him. I'd say it's more likely to be Arata because my understanding is that becoming Meijin was his promise to his grandpa but his real dream is beating Suo.

As a side note, I feel really bad for Harada. He's been pushing himself so hard all these years without ever giving up. I'd like him to be rewarded.
Old 2019-11-26, 21:46   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sumire ... understands Taichi more than Chihaya and Arata do. Possibly more than he even understands himself, he's not even sure what exactly he's doing here.
And certainly more than Taichi's mother. Sumire's clever plan to become his mother's favorite certainly came to an abrupt end.

I worried that Harada-sensei would have a stroke or a heart attack climbing those stairs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-27, 01:39   Link #84
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And certainly more than Taichi's mother. Sumire's clever plan to become his mother's favorite certainly came to an abrupt end.

I worried that Harada-sensei would have a stroke or a heart attack climbing those stairs.
I still worry most about his knees.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-27, 10:27   Link #85
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

It says a lot about her that she openly went against Taichi's mother knowing it may destroy her chances to end up with him. She's a really good girl.
Old 2019-11-27, 11:39   Link #86
Wandering Soul

Can't really say I cared much for Sumire prior to this, but she scored some points for herself in my book this episode.
Old 2019-11-27, 14:18   Link #87
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Up until now, Sumire seemed pretty lackluster. Other than mooning over Taichi, she seemed to lack personality. I don't want to go back over the past two seasons, but has she ever competed in a karuta tournament, even Class D?
Old 2019-11-27, 19:53   Link #88
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Up until now, Sumire seemed pretty lackluster. Other than mooning over Taichi, she seemed to lack personality. I don't want to go back over the past two seasons, but has she ever competed in a karuta tournament, even Class D?
Yes. She lost pretty fast though (3rd round I think) so she's still in class D.
Old 2019-11-28, 11:14   Link #89
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Wow, what a memory you have, Kanon! I rewatched both seasons sometime in the past two years, and I can't recall much about either Sumire or tongue-boy other than that the latter has little brothers who fawn all over him. They never made an impression on me like Desk-kun, Porky, and Kana-chan.

I give the seiyuu a lot of credit for being able to get back up to speed after a six-year hiatus.
Old 2019-11-28, 11:28   Link #90
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Wow, what a memory you have, Kanon! I rewatched both seasons sometime in the past two years, and I can't recall much about either Sumire or tongue-boy other than that the latter has little brothers who fawn all over him. They never made an impression on me like Desk-kun, Porky, and Kana-chan.

I give the seiyuu a lot of credit for being able to get back up to speed after a six-year hiatus.
Not really, I simply rewatched the two seasons a couple months before this one started
As I noted in the thread after my rewatch (the post is probably in the anticipation thread now), I remembered the first season a lot better than the second one, and had in fact forgotten about Sumire and Tsukuba. Those two received little focus past the first few episodes of S2.
Old 2019-11-29, 08:48   Link #91
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not really, I simply rewatched the two seasons a couple months before this one started
Cheater!

Old 2019-12-03, 17:01   Link #92
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have to admit I didn't understand what Harada-sensei was saying about knowing which cards will not be read.

I hate these games that end with luck-of-the-draw situations. Taichi vs Harada would have been an interesting final.

Shinobu knows there is a lot to life that she is missing out on. I think she's angry and regretful about that fact. She's rather like Chihaya who is so single-minded that she is unable to enjoy her class trip, but at least Chihaya has friends.

I love the scenes when Kana-chan tells us about Japanese cultural history.
Old 2019-12-03, 19:17   Link #93
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't expect Taichi to lose. So much for him playing against Arata. Harada's words to Taichi sounded extremely inspirational, expect what he said was total bullshit (though he himself probably believes it). No amount of experience or practice will make you able to tell which card won't be read. You'd need psychic powers for that. The point is that you make your own luck, but I wish the author had found something better to illustrate this.
Old 2019-12-03, 21:07   Link #94
Wandering Soul

Taichi losing was a surprise to me. Forget Arata, he didn't even get the chance to go up against Harada. Speaking of Harada, I'm starting to get worried about his health.
Old 2019-12-03, 22:15   Link #95
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Harada is really pushing him self to win
Old 2019-12-03, 22:20   Link #96
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Harada is going to need cortisone shots in those knees of his pretty soon. However that's not a common procedure in Japanese medicine.
Old 2019-12-04, 02:34   Link #97
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Speaking of Harada, I'm starting to get worried about his health.
He's not dying. His knees just make him wish he was. I've been there a time or two while hiking. It's not fun.

I seem to remember reading something (maybe even on this very board) about Taichi originally being conceived as more of an antagonist character, a "bad guy" getting in the way of Chihaya and Arata. Am I mistaken?

In any event, the past couple of episodes have done a good job of reminding us (or me, at least) of what motivates him and where he's going. He's not driven solely by a desire for Chihaya's attention and affection (although that's certainly part of what drives him). He's not driven solely by a desire not to run away, either. But he's also not driven primarily by a love of karuta for its own sake, as many of the other characters are. He doesn't really know what he wants, and that's okay, especially at his age. But it puts him out of step with everything going on around him.

I almost feel like he's outgrown the role the story had for him, and he should be spun off into some other story, where he can be the hero and realize his destiny.

Meanwhile, Kana-chan to the rescue in Kyoto! I'm glad Chihaya's friends finally got her to snap out of it and start getting into their trip.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-04, 05:27   Link #98
Arya

Despite what I said earlier, him reaching his peak playing (and losing) against Chihaya, I also believed he would have won this match.
Quote:
In any event, the past couple of episodes have done a good job of reminding us (or me, at least) of what motivates him and where he's going. He's not driven solely by a desire for Chihaya's attention and affection (although that's certainly part of what drives him). He's not driven solely by a desire not to run away, either. But he's also not driven primarily by a love of karuta for its own sake, as many of the other characters are. He doesn't really know what he wants, and that's okay, especially at his age. But it puts him out of step with everything going on around him.
Well, this thing has a name, generally it's called characterization.
Quote:
I almost feel like he's outgrown the role the story had for him, and he should be spun off into some other story, where he can be the hero and realize his destiny.
On Taichi I can agree that he's outgrown his role in the story, or better, the problem here is that, for me at least, he stole the MC role to the others. That's because he has a characterization, while Arata and Chihaya have not (much). (And I can't think being a casual event from the author part, so there's a will behind it).

Probably it's me, but I feel Shinobu's VA being very mismatched. I actually didn't remember her voice. But I'm sure it didn't gave me this feeling. Is it the 6 years gap?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-04, 06:11   Link #99
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

How can anyone ever be surprised at Taichi losing in this series?

Quote:
He's not dying.
I seem to remember reading something (maybe even on this very board) about Taichi originally being conceived as more of an antagonist character, a "bad guy" getting in the way of Chihaya and Arata. Am I mistaken?

Yes, that info is from the horse's (mangaka's) mouth. While I disagree that trying to get Chihaya's attention or the whole "coward" nonsense is even a modestly important factor at this point, I think your observation that Taichi's outgrown his role in the story is a good one. To me it's been clear that Suetsugu doesn't really know what to do with him and hasn't for a long time, because once he ceases to be her punching bag she won't have any role for him at all.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-04, 10:57   Link #100
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Probably it's me, but I feel Shinobu's VA being very mismatched. I actually didn't remember her voice. But I'm sure it didn't gave me this feeling. Is it the 6 years gap?
She sounds the same. Her seiyuu is extremely obscure, in fact Shinobu is her only role other than "girl A" in a few random series. I assume voice acting isn't her primary occupation.

Tags
karuta