Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-07-27, 17:01   Link #81
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
i'm nowaday very strick and tired of too much of the "same" to the point of don't like series where looks this is a generic x but looks they have let's say a ball, or a celphone or whatever "way to be less generic they like to pull" but in the end still a generic x where the guy put a ball or something else to "look original" but keep pulling exactly the same cliches of almost every others serie, for me that sort of serie still bad and very otaku cliche and "not worth waste my time on then" that is why nowadays i'm almost stopped to follow animes and mangas in overal harem(i'm still read some which have really some good original enought thngs to not look like just the same with only only new element) and to be fair my problem is not just for harem but let's say how most of the mcs are, most of they personality in most cases are the "japanese stereotype" of beta mc, or super perv well overal the guy which normally only the "losers sides otakus recognize themselfs", while see this sometimes is fine, see then on almost every serie is tiresome, that is why sometimes i prefer more shounen standarts series like dragon ball, fairy tail, nanatsu no taiza, one punch man which while they still cliche they not exactly your "self otaku vision", which nowadays is really my big issue toward animes/mangas/novels, normally this is what make me drop very fast many series also things like overused genders like isekai putting just a little thing to sound "different" like isakai with my car, isekai sick, isekai bla bla bla, in the end all of then are about a guy whcih in most of the cases was a "average to looser person which died and goes to another world to make a harem of many generic girls while become a overpowered choosen one", that for me nowadays is a death gender.

for me a good serie is not the one just "pandering" A or B or puting A or B in priority but one which try to entertaing many peoples as possible.

well every person with they own tastes, so far things looks funny, the mc have really weird issues, i just don't want see a "potential serie" being wasted on another generic x that is all.
That's not what I was talking about. I know all too well that there are series that amount to just "X with cooking" or "Y with mecha" or "Z with this strange item/power". And yes, that sort of thing is indeed unoriginal. My problem is that a heck of a lot of people, upon seeing the X Y or Z just dismiss it as being this without bothering to take a good look. In some cases it could wind up being "Something new with/including X Y or Z", or a mix, or something with some legitimately unique content, but people just say that it's trash because they defined it as being entirely nothing but a minor tweak on a tired trope.

For example, since you mentioned isekai, yes, I've seen plenty of series where you amount to nothing more than a loser who goes to another world with an item or power, becomes the "chosen one" and builds a harem. I've also seen series where some aspects of this are absent or tweaked in some way. And I've seen series that take things in unique directions. And then I've seen some series that technically can be described as all those things, with a loser transported to another world where he becomes an OP chosen one with a harem, yet something still remains very distinct. Shield Hero, for instance, does have all these traits: Naofumi is a definite loser who gradually becomes OP through hard work, and develops a harem over time. But somehow, it just doesn't strike me as the same class of story as a lot of those stories. Maybe it's just the intensity of the situations, or the slow speed with which the harem develops and degree of indifference/distaste the hero seems to have toward the idea of romance with anyone, or how serious he becomes. I don't know, but there's just something about the entire world that feels very different from so many other series. But if you knew it had isekai and harem and a loser protagonist who becomes the OP guy destined to save the world, you'd probably dismiss it as not possibly having anything new, wouldn't you. My point was that sometimes people dismiss something because of the tropes they use which they think make it "just another isekai" or "just another IS clone" when really there's something about what's being told or how it's being told that goes far beyond, and you'd miss it if you've just closed your mind off with "It has X so I'm betting it's just X".

Anyway, fortunately I see very little of anything that I could really call "generic" or "typical X" here. Yes, the hero is a shy otaku who's managed to keep himself from falling into the worst clichés but still the situation, the story itself, is more than unique enough to be something of worth. Not to mention it's a situation and plot for which this type of hero fits in really well.

Back on topic though, I too enjoyed Keita's retorts here. Chiaki does currently feel a bit like the sort of girl who would call moe the scourge of the anime/game business while upholding Free or Yuri on Ice as examples of absolute brilliance, not because of any aspect of the plot but because of the hot guys. It's still fanservice and pandering, even if it's pandering to girls and guys that like hot guys.

Still, I suspect that a part of what will make her fall for Keita is the realization that he's Tsucchii. A little cliché, but a lot of tropes and clichés became what they are because they really do move and fascinate.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 17:20   Link #82
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
That's not what I was talking about. I know all too well that there are series that amount to just "X with cooking" or "Y with mecha" or "Z with this strange item/power". And yes, that sort of thing is indeed unoriginal. My problem is that a heck of a lot of people, upon seeing the X Y or Z just dismiss it as being this without bothering to take a good look. In some cases it could wind up being "Something new with/including X Y or Z", or a mix, or something with some legitimately unique content, but people just say that it's trash because they defined it as being entirely nothing but a minor tweak on a tired trope.

For example, since you mentioned isekai, yes, I've seen plenty of series where you amount to nothing more than a loser who goes to another world with an item or power, becomes the "chosen one" and builds a harem. I've also seen series where some aspects of this are absent or tweaked in some way. And I've seen series that take things in unique directions. And then I've seen some series that technically can be described as all those things, with a loser transported to another world where he becomes an OP chosen one with a harem, yet something still remains very distinct. Shield Hero, for instance, does have all these traits: Naofumi is a definite loser who gradually becomes OP through hard work, and develops a harem over time. But somehow, it just doesn't strike me as the same class of story as a lot of those stories. Maybe it's just the intensity of the situations, or the slow speed with which the harem develops and degree of indifference/distaste the hero seems to have toward the idea of romance with anyone, or how serious he becomes. I don't know, but there's just something about the entire world that feels very different from so many other series. But if you knew it had isekai and harem and a loser protagonist who becomes the OP guy destined to save the world, you'd probably dismiss it as not possibly having anything new, wouldn't you. My point was that sometimes people dismiss something because of the tropes they use which they think make it "just another isekai" or "just another IS clone" when really there's something about what's being told or how it's being told that goes far beyond, and you'd miss it if you've just closed your mind off with "It has X so I'm betting it's just X".

Anyway, fortunately I see very little of anything that I could really call "generic" or "typical X" here. Yes, the hero is a shy otaku who's managed to keep himself from falling into the worst clichés but still the situation, the story itself, is more than unique enough to be something of worth. Not to mention it's a situation and plot for which this type of hero fits in really well.

Back on topic though, I too enjoyed Keita's retorts here. Chiaki does currently feel a bit like the sort of girl who would call moe the scourge of the anime/game business while upholding Free or Yuri on Ice as examples of absolute brilliance, not because of any aspect of the plot but because of the hot guys. It's still fanservice and pandering, even if it's pandering to girls and guys that like hot guys.

Still, I suspect that a part of what will make her fall for Keita is the realization that he's Tsucchii. A little cliché, but a lot of tropes and clichés became what they are because they really do move and fascinate.
that is why i normally do the 3 episodes rule, or even more, when i see a serie which something which actually attract me despise all the craps i have to deal i try to keep it up before give up and so far while the serie started with the mc loser and all i'm still here and found something fun which i want it keep that same fun.

while i really dsilike mc not just because of being a loser but the fact which even for a hardcore casual gamer he still really a bad personality which if not was for his new found friend and the girl stalker in love he could just ending turning in your shut-in otaku, because that was the path he was following since peoples already where bullying him and all in the beginner like aways happen(which is something i really dislike is how really the bulling in japan really looks worst than even in western since is not just a "little group" but even the whole class can bullie and by hate i don't means in the same sense of bad generic mc but as really a real social issue which is addressed in anime which make me remember which really don't exist a perfect country and while can be fun be a tourist in japan and all but living in that can be a "hell" of life).
Old 2017-07-27, 17:53   Link #83
DracoS

This show keeps getting funnier
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 18:29   Link #84
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Oh god the hilarity of this show is really finding its stride. I mean wow, the complicated web of misunderstandings is getting outstanding.

Just a great mess being created. Aguri is going to spend more time with Amano who is going to try and keep her from losing her head over Uehara. While Tendou is going to freak out about Amano spending time with other girls. Of course Uehara is struggling to handle his growing feelings for Aguri, but that isn't necessarily going to come across cleanly.

This is just fun .
Old 2017-07-27, 18:56   Link #85
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I must be on the complete opposite spectrum of the intended audience, but the third episode bored me to tears it wasn't even funny.
I usually like slapsticks and stuff, but the misunderstanding came a mile away that it killed any momentum for the actual jab, and Keita is more and more obnoxious over time. I honestly would rather have Tasuku as the main protagonist, especially he is kind of a balanced character without being absurdly cliché or anything.

But thus far, it is just bunch of one trick poney bits, and Karen didn't contribute much aside of being an infuriated maiden without much reason why she is literally drooling over Keita.
Old 2017-07-27, 19:44   Link #86
Wandering Soul

Karen is starting to feel more like a side character. She isn't getting as much of the spotlight as I thought she would, but I'll admit that it's funny to see her break down.

I have to agree with Chikai. Moe girls are nice and all, but story and gameplay should take precedence.
Old 2017-07-27, 20:00   Link #87
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I have to agree with Chikai. Moe girls are nice and all, but story and gameplay should take precedence.
honestly speaking i could say which probably a big majority of peoples which like to playgames could want a story and gameplay over "moe girls", it's almost like a "loser otaku preference" to goes for "moe over story and plot".

that is why "date simulators" are very popular and most sold in japan.
Old 2017-07-27, 20:52   Link #88
rladls2121

This is good.
Just like this series, we ourselves are discussing things about video games.
Makes me wonder if Nihon Falcom games contains both "Ikemen Boys" and "Moe Girls" at the same time.

The most funniest part in the episode is the overreactions from Karen's classmates where Keita caught her when she almost fainted to the floor.
That is what i call an overreaction.
Not asking if Karen is ok or not but Karen fell in Keita's arms is the question.
This is what Tasuku wanted to see, too bad he missed the best part because Aguri took him away.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 21:11   Link #89
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Chiaki is cuter with short hair then with long but poor Karen just getting shoved aside by Keita
Old 2017-07-28, 02:56   Link #90
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well if that isn't one of the most adorable budding friendships I've seen in a while. Reminds me a bit of me and a close friend of mine.

That said I almost feel like if you get rid of Karen and focus on those two this would be a better show. It also wouldn't be a high school series if a simple misunderstanding didn't devolve into utter insanity.

Also this... yeah...

Spoiler for NSFW:
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 06:14   Link #91
Isaac Gravity

Whelp, that was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. And I'm enjoying every moment of it.

The main girl really does feel like a side character and given how that works better for the dynamic and interactions between Keita and his new buds, something I'm utterly fine with.
Isaac Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 08:47   Link #92
moridin84
Custom User Title

It's quite funny that Amano and Hoshinomori went from complete strangers to sharing phone numbers and calling each other by the first name in the space of a day. In most romcoms this takes months. Although they only see themselves as gamer buddies right now.

I dunno how you can view this as a harem. It's clearly a love triangle romcom, except most of the love triangles are fake.

Uehara x Aguri x Hoshinomori
Uehara x Aguri x Amano
Amano x Tendo x Hoshinomori

I think the only ones missing are

Amano x Tendo x Uehara
Aguri x Tendo x Hoshinomori

Half hoping for the last one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I must be on the complete opposite spectrum of the intended audience, but the third episode bored me to tears it wasn't even funny.
I usually like slapsticks and stuff, but the misunderstanding came a mile away that it killed any momentum for the actual jab, and Keita is more and more obnoxious over time. I honestly would rather have Tasuku as the main protagonist, especially he is kind of a balanced character without being absurdly cliché or anything.

But thus far, it is just bunch of one trick poney bits, and Karen didn't contribute much aside of being an infuriated maiden without much reason why she is literally drooling over Keita.
She finds him to be very attractive.

Yes, that's it.

It's pretty normal you know?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 09:23   Link #93
Ultragunner

u know...when u see your buddy's girlfriend in the corner having a "misunderstanding", shouldn't the first thing to do is shaking the guy's shoulder while yelling: "DUDE!!! Your girl is staring at you!! Go over there to her or something!!"?

instead you choose to go and try to explain the situation yourself? what are thou? A relationship counsellor?
Old 2017-07-28, 09:44   Link #94
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
instead you choose to go and try to explain the situation yourself? what are thou? A relationship counsellor?
this is something which bug me a lot in animes, normally instead of do the "right thing" friends normally ending doing the wrong and making even more mess, like when his friend instead of encoraging him improve his relationship with the main girl he say to mc goes for "others girls", this is not a really good advice to do to someone in terested in other person, you help him improve with that perso not go after other, the same goes to mc, instead of talk with the guy and say which he is messing with his girlfriend he goes himself to do something and with that things ending even worse, friendship in japan is really crap.
Old 2017-07-28, 12:05   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
She finds him to be very attractive.

Yes, that's it.

It's pretty normal you know?
By anime standards, Keita is hardly portrayed as a ikemen, and the series doesn't remotely suggest he is that popular with the girls either. That's the very reason I don't see how she can find him attractive whatsoever, not because of taste but rather by the lack of actual cues demonstrating such.
Old 2017-07-28, 12:13   Link #96
magnuskn

Quote:
By anime standards, Keita is hardly portrayed as a ikemen, and the series doesn't remotely suggest he is that popular with the girls either. That's the very reason I don't see how she can find him attractive whatsoever, not because of taste but rather by the lack of actual cues demonstrating such.
She's one of the princesses of the school and never got rejected ever. So, his rejection of her invitation made him a challenge, i.e. interesting.
Old 2017-07-28, 13:36   Link #97
HandofFate

enjoying this series a lot.
episode 1 was okay as the intro premise.

but the story in episode 2 and 3 was pretty good.
have to give props to the directing, the character reactions, and way each one just misses eachother by seconds, to the reactions of the background mob characters, I loved all of it.
Old 2017-07-28, 13:42   Link #98
rladls2121

So did Chiaki was asked by Karen to join before Keita or after?
Because Karen and Chiaki are in the same class.
Not likely Keita was asked first before Chiaki.
So it may not be the first time Karen got rejected.
Karen obviously knows Chiaki loves video games by the looks it.

One of the difference to me is Karen already gave up on recruiting Chiaki, but why not Keita?
Keita is not just some cute boy to her?
And Chiaki not some cute girl?

I think the timing Karen completely fell for Keita was when she saw he "almost killed" Tasuku and stood up for Karen and her club on the bridge with cars passing below at episode 2.
That's when she started to let her guard down and hearts surrounded her.
Before that, Karen was more cautious not to get caught on stalking him.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 18:35   Link #99
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Look, not everyone's deciding factor is how hot the guy is or isn't. From the start she wasn't drawn to him because of his looks. She's a weirdo who doesn't even really try to hide it but still winds up being treated like a normie. Her passion is games, and most people aren't near as passionate as she is where this is concerned. Due to this, I imagine she's not really all that attracted to hot guys who don't show that sort of passion. Keita on the other hand does. His passion is very different from hers, with I believe a focus on immersion and enjoyment and exploration rather than a competitive be the best mentality, but even if his policies are different he still shares the passion and it's both his love for the game and his unashamed openness about this love that draws her to him, IMHO. I especially think this on account of what apparently got her to completely break. Her interest was strong but not complete for much of ep 2, but when he nearly killed Tasuku shouting about the club and what it represents and why no one should ridicule them even if they disagree, she suddenly melted. I'd say it's fairly clear that it's this side of him that she loves. And I bet it's this and the almost-perfect match in opinions that will hopefully turn Chiaki toward him as well.

And yes, I'd say this would impact her much more with Keita than with Chiaki. Chiaki loves games, yes, but she's an out-of-house shut-in. She doesn't show the same fire and craze that Keita does where games are concerned, at least not unless she feels that someone else agrees with her. It looks from their interactions like Chiaki wouldn't even interact with people she knows to be fellow gamers very enthusiastically, only people with whom she knows there's a lot of deeper commonality, that she's dealing with someone who will show a passion that excites her own in the right way. Thus, when she approached Chiaki, the interaction was probably very weak and she didn't show the depths of her love. But with Keita, even in the face of Karen, he doesn't hesitate to admit and own up to what he loves and just how enthusiastic he is about them. He's still uneasy about some things, but even his fears can't stop him from shouting his passion from the rooftops.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 18:44   Link #100
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
My bad, I thought you were talking and Uehara and Chiaki.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, misunderstandings, not harem, rom com