AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-07, 20:34   Link #81
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It's interesting that the fanfare lasted only for the first few minutes of the episode. The rest explored the development of the characters post-Kansai as well as the Ghost of Minami Junior High School incident that caused the rift that caused the hidden conflict of the first season.

I loved how I was able to catch Kumiko's tendency to speak her mind, a problem that seemed to persist even as she had her share of character development. Reina, on the other hand, seemed to be more vocal, at least in Kumiko's presence.

Now, the main topic is the issue revolving about the alumnae of Minami Junior High School and Asuka.
It's revealed that Nozomi Kasaki was a flutist in the silver-prize winner and Mizore Yoroizuka was an oboist for the same school. Both Yuko and Natsuki, alumnae of Minami, know the two. However, something happened between Asuka and both Nozomi and Mizore. Mizore is considered to be a "filthy casual" whose mindset would cripple the band's progress in the higher echelons of the tournament, while Nozomi quit the band in a destructive incident that still haunts the senior members to this day.

My interest grows more about Nozomi and Mizore more than Asuka. We all know that Asuka doesn't like people who don't take band seriously, so the only thing that remains is what exactly happened before the Kitauji High School Band seemed to have collapsed the year before. Chances are that Asuka is trying to preserve the prestige of the band, but it's less black and white than that.

Special mention: The performance by Team Monaka is very much welcomed. We get to see how they did their best for the representatives of the band for the tournaments ahead.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-07, 20:49   Link #82
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wearing the yukatas off the bat a good way to start
Old 2016-10-07, 22:08   Link #83
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Yep, because the next stop is at Dramaville.

EDIT: Wait, shit. The overly vibrant colleague of Taki-sensei is voiced by Yuiichi Nakamura?! Damn, after his "normal" role in Web-Working!, it was quite a shock.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2016-10-07 at 22:37.
Old 2016-10-08, 00:36   Link #84
OkamiNoKaze

I stiil think Kumiko resembles Makoto from sailor moon with her hair up. She should wear it that way more often.
Old 2016-10-08, 04:22   Link #85
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Yeah, I suspect that's probably the main reason Asuka doesn't really want to engage with Nozomi. That would require her to take a side, and she demonstrated a severe allergy to that last season. If she were to "sponsor" Nozomi's return to the club, then by extension, she'd be taking the side of those who decided to quit in the previous year's club drama.

Although it's not like Nozomi has much of a choice. Sure President Doormat Haruka's nominally in charge of the club, but she doesn't really have the force of personality to ease Nozomi's return to the club. It would be as bad as if Nozomi just signed up for the club by herself. She pretty much has to appeal to Azusa, since Azusa is, apparently, God.

Perhaps, I gave Asuka's bullshitting ability too much credence but I was half-expecting her to say something koan like, "whether you join the club or not is up to you[Nozomi], not up to me[Asuka]. No one can give you permission to join something but yourself". Not a blatant, "I think your presence in the club is a minus."

Then again, maybe Asuka tried that tack and Nozomi is still persistent. She apparently came everytime to ask for Asuka's permission. Its certainly possible that Asuka changed tact after the first one didn't work.

That said, I think there is something personal about Nozomi asking Asuka's permission. Nozomi did say that she wants Asuka's permission as the Vice-President and personally. Perhaps, its because like the rest she admires Asuka?

I personally think that Nozomi is barking the wrong tree. I do agree that its certainly possible that Haruka may not have the personal charisma as Asuka to allow her transition. But, there are other seniors like freaking KAORI who seemed to be have the same level of sway as Asuka. Bonus points: Kaori is the type that would probably grant that request almost 100% guaranteed.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 04:58   Link #86
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There's also the chance that she knows that Haruka may or may not have the club presence she needed (i.e., is a doormat) and Asuka, who has the strongest influence to Haruka's decisions, would be a much better person to turn to.

That or there's a special reason related to the schism.

Old 2016-10-09, 02:07   Link #87
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I thought this was a poor opener episode. Kyoto Animation is generally known for quality in their visuals, but I saw many instances of QUALITY throughout which I found surprising by their standards. Granted, the show still looks better than your average anime for sure, just for their standards this is a bit below par and especially so if we consider season 1.

The yuri baiting in this show is nothing new, but KyoAni definitely amped it up to annoying levels in the last bits of the episode. I'm not sure what the hell that fireworks scene was all about other than trying to titillate an obvious audience. I would not care if this were actually a yuri show, but all indications in the story say that's not actually the case. At the very least, it's better if they commit one way or the other so we can avoid this farce. The character dynamics change quite a bit when they do crap like this, and not for the best.

I noticed like many that Kumiko's voice acting was more artificial in this premier. I did not appreciate that. I also just thought the general polish and pacing is missing from season 1. The beginning of season 1 really pulled me into the flow of the story and engaged us on a character level with Kumiko's charming personality. I felt very little of what I came to like about season 1. Slow and unconvincing start here to say the least that does not help to wipe away my skepticism of there ever being another season in the first place.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 02:51   Link #88
ozgnp

I think Asuka is very much a bully, mostly good-natured. She constantly picks on her underlings, teasing them at every opportunity. Remember poor Midori, who has yet to convince Asuka to stop calling her "Sapphire"? Asuka even gives her so-called friends grief, while providing little to no real support to the club's president.
I hope she'll learn to play additional instruments, if she plans on playing music as a career -- not much call for euphonists in orchestras.
ozgnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 09:12   Link #89
Sixth
Hu Tao

Just finished episode 1 and can someone tell me whether there was an OVA I missed? Since when Kumiko and Reina got married? They were like a couple in this episode.

Also, the boy is really doesn't existed in Kumiko's mind juj? He got openly insulted yet Kumiko doesn't care about it at all.

And more drama for 2nd year and 3 year. I wonder what had 2nd year done that 3rd year was literally loathed at them so much.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 10:34   Link #90
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner
I noticed like many that Kumiko's voice acting was more artificial in this premier. I did not appreciate that. I also just thought the general polish and pacing is missing from season 1. The beginning of season 1 really pulled me into the flow of the story and engaged us on a character level with Kumiko's charming personality. I felt very little of what I came to like about season 1. Slow and unconvincing start here to say the least that does not help to wipe away my skepticism of there ever being another season in the first place.
I actually think Kumiko's voice in S2 is more realistic than her voice in S1. Maybe it means to show that Kumiko has developed into more mature and more confident person. That's probably why her personality seems to be less funny and more "simple" now. (Actually, didn't Kumiko in the final ep. of the first season act like this too??)

However, we still see some of her old personality when she feels nervous like that scene in the classroom between her, Reina, Yuuko and Mizore. (Best scene in the ep. really)
Old 2016-10-09, 13:24   Link #91
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Episode 1: 2 for 1! (Part 1)

I'm going to have to cut this into two parts as the episode was rather long. I guess a problem with it is that it felt like it could have been one episodes and I actually had to take a break despite enjoying most of it. But hey if they can pad stuff out for longetivity and lols, so should I!

EDIT: (Added Part 2)

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Part 2
Images

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2016-10-12 at 20:25.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 13:34   Link #92
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I'm one of the people who thought Hibike S1 was perfect as it is and didn't really need that much of a follow-up, but nonetheless I'm happy it's getting a sequel. I had fun with this premiere but maybe Hibike isn't something I'd normally binge-watch so I did feel a bit of a lull at times (like I don't think taking 40 minutes of it was the best idea) but overall I liked it a lot -- the last scene with the fireworks was probably the best moment for me.

If anything that this series thought me is that I should stop trying to have the instant heteronormative view when I watch my anime. Yeah maybe you can take it as fanservicey yuribait, but it seems very restrained and more importantly very realistic. That's what I love about this series -Kumiko and Reina's moments are always so precious for me, I rarely get to see well-written stuff like theirs in any anime (it reminds me on how natural the Hitagi-Araragi relationship is in Bakemonogatari though it's not like Kumiko and Reina are actually together)

Anyway, great episode, the length not necessarily needed, but still great.
Old 2016-10-09, 15:27   Link #93
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Yeah maybe you can take it as fanservicey yuribait, but it seems very restrained and more importantly very realistic.
I've been saying that since the first season, and I didn't see anything to change my mind in this episode. If you want to see "yuribait," then okay fine, you can see it. But not all close relationships are sexual, and I don't think the one between Kumiko and Reina is.

The ED sequence is very telling. What is that Kumiko runs to and embraces? Not Shuuichi, and not even Reina, but her euphonium. That tells me this season is going to be about Kumiko finding her inner passion for her music, and not any kind of passion for another person.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2016-10-09 at 19:26.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 15:36   Link #94
EroKing

Images

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-23 at 15:57.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 15:57   Link #95
Shadow5YA

Did Kumiko's seiyuu change between seasons? She sounds different from what I remember.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 18:49   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, I didn't see a lot of yuri in Season 2 Episode 1, and I didn't see anything I'd consider clear-cut yuri.

The vast majority of Kumiko/Reina scenes just struck me as two close best friends. It wasn't particularly physical, just warm and endearing. I can buy two teenage girls being platonic best friends to this degree.

The only thing that did straddle the line for me was the intense hand-holding at the festival, but even this could be seen as Kumiko and Reina sorta reassuring each other about their shared goal to make the Nationals.

Now, if anybody wants to see yuri, then go ahead. But speaking personally, it's no longer a risk I'd take with KyoAni. And I think it's possible to lose sight of some important things in this show if you focus too heavy on the romance/shipping side of things, from either end.
Old 2016-10-09, 19:08   Link #97
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Did Kumiko's seiyuu change between seasons? She sounds different from what I remember.
Mow you mentioned it...her voice does sounded different....to me too.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 06:51   Link #98
Marina2

Ep.2
http://anime-eupho.com/story/

Spoiler for Ep.2 preview video:

Last edited by Marina2; 2016-10-10 at 07:01.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 08:47   Link #99
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watc hed episode 1 today. And wow, the animation quality looks good. Nice to see Kumiko and Reina again.. so those are the things they did after winning in season 1.

Hmm,,, I do wonder why Asuka does not want flute girl to join again? The girl who threw up does not like flute girl. But there might be other reasons.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-10, 08:55   Link #100
Arya

Well, maybe the nausea is a general effect, not just linked to the girl!!!

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote