5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 4.17%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-11, 12:12   Link #81
Darthtabby

On one hand, I'm inclined to think that's a bit much. On the other hand, you're right... Roid right now seems different from how he was portrayed earlier in the series, when he protected Heinz, reigned in the battle hungry knights, and indicated a desire to negotiate with NUNS (albeit from a position of strength).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
- Keith is supporting Roids bid to take over the galaxy for vengeance. So much for him being sympathetic.
According to the subs, when Roid asked whether Keith would support him Keith replied "I only follow the wind. As long as you stay true to the winds of Windermere, my duty remains the same."

I could be wrong, but I doubt they'd be having Keith put it like that (or point out that the protoculture Roid believes they're the true heirs to made them short lived) if there wasn't going to be a split between them somewhere down the line.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 12:16   Link #82
magnuskn

That might be so later, but for now Keith is aware of of Roids plans and is not opposing them. Hence, for the moment he supports Roids expansionist agenda.
Old 2016-07-11, 12:58   Link #83
Darthtabby

So I have a couple general criticisms of this episode.

I think it would have worked better if some of the things this episode had touched on to flesh out/humanize the knights had been sprinkled throughout earlier episodes.

I think the VF-22 footage is probably meant to be taken at face value, but does that not seem like the sort of thing that could be faked in a universe as high tech as Macross?

I'd also been wondering why the heck the Windermereans didn't use this evidence against the NUNS years ago, but perhaps Roid figured it would be much more likely to be believed now in light of what NUNS did on Ragna.

Anyway, there's been speculation that Hayate's father is the guy who dropped the Dimension Eater on Windermere. I've been wondering if he could be the guy who Freyja got her music player from as well. (Then again, if he got shot down, you'd think the remains of his valkyrie would also be evidence...)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 13:06   Link #84
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This was an excellent episode.

At first, my take was the same as FlareKnight's, and so I rated this episode 9/10. But after thinking more on it, I'm inclined to think Kawamori et al totally nailed it, and I probably should have given this episode 10/10.

Let me be clear - I still think what Windermere is doing is terrible. Frightening, even. Even if Windermere is right about what NUN did in the last war, Windermere's response is terribly disproportionate, especially now.

But I think I see what Kawamori and Nemoto are aiming for here. I think they're showing how basically good decent people, in large numbers, can be skillfully manipulated into supporting a horrible unjust war.

I truly do get where most, if not all, of the Windermere characters are coming from in this episode. More in spoiler space below, since this will be long.
Spoiler for Windermere thoughts:

Well... that went long. I also liked the Delta Squadron/Walkure side of this episode, and the final moment of the episode offers a lot of good potential for Hayate and his character. There's lots of good material here to chew on and speculate over.

Episode 14 left me wanting something more, and Episode 15 has richly delivered. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the story develops from here.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2016-07-11 at 13:23.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 18:00   Link #85
Dash_Hunter

At this point I really don't care about the windermereans/Aerial Knights, it doesn't matter if they tried to show their tragic pasts in this episode when for the last 14 they have been shown just attacking other planets and characters like Bogue yelling "Stop singing!" or "Go to hell walkure!!", I just simply can't, the only windermerean I care about is Freyja and maybe Herman.

Also it's a bit ironic how their main reason (or one of the main reasons) for this war, the dimensional weapon being dropped on their planet, was also what ultimately made NUNS withdraw and gained them their independence, so even if they have shown that footage I think there's still more about that event. Because what Roid said doesn't make much sense, why would NUNS retreat after dropping that bomb? (on one of their bases no less), and if they didn't want anyone elso to find out the best way to do it is finish what you started and defeat your opponents.

Now about that battle near the end, ~sigh~ on one hand we got some Draken Battroid action, and with how little they use that mode it was good to see it, on the other it's really getting repetitive and a bit boring how Windermere just steamroll through NUNS every time, now Keith singlehandedly took down a whole fleet.
If you think about it Windermere have never lose a battle, the times they retreated were because they accomplished their objective or because Roid ordered them to do it, imagine if in Frontier everytime the Vajra attacked they would just wreck the NUNS and SMS couldn't do anything about it, even in Macross 7 there were Varauta's machines getting destroyed every battle, same with the Zentradi in the original, but we can't let that happen to our bishonen squad, can we? they apparently are the only 6 pilots that windermere has.

Anyway, it seems like next episode we'll finally get some backstory and character development for our protagonist.
Old 2016-07-11, 18:19   Link #86
magnuskn

Yeah, there is definitely still more to come with the drop of that dimension bomb, if the story just goes "NUNS dropped a bomb, vengeance, muh sky!", it would seem way too simple, especially since Roid uses the footage to try to justify enslaving the entire galaxy. There's a twist somewhere, maybe multiple twists.

And I also am getting quite tired with the oversimplified command structure of the Windbags. Basically, it's The King -> Roid -> Aerial Knights -> Foot soldiers. Where are the generals and admirals, basically, where is the military leadership structure? The Aerial Knights are basically elite royal guards, but they don't actually command anything.
Old 2016-07-11, 18:23   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

@Dash Hunter - Keith being "just that good" is a little ridiculous, yeah.

OTOH, this "feeling the wind" thing is pretty much a superpower, based on Windermere genetics. It honestly makes me think of Spider-Man's spidey sense. So at least it's not completely unbelievable that Keith is this incredibly good. The show has given Keith an actual superpower to justify it some.

For good or for ill, we pretty much have super-powered pilots capable of destroying a lot of their enemy. The only thing that seems to be able to match Keith is Hayate powered up by Freyja. So this might actually come down to a duel between two super-powered pilots. Ironic given what Messer once said to Hayate.
Old 2016-07-11, 18:27   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

This is just in general for the thread/forum, but I want to make a few important clarifications about the spoiler policy.

1) Do NOT use spoiler tags if you are simply discussing the episode in question in the episode thread. This makes no sense and creates pointless spoiler tags since anyone opening this thread is expected to understand that you are talking about this episode.

2) DO use spoiler tags if you are comparing this episode or show with any other show or work, including previous Macross series or other related media (manga, etc.). This is necessary because you can't just assume that everyone else in the thread has wached/read everything you have.

I am also going to create a thread just for comparing Macross Delta with previous Macross series, and hope that more of this discussion can be redirected to that thread rather than clogging up the episode threads.
Old 2016-07-11, 18:37   Link #89
Father Hentai

Is Roid something after Mikumo and Freyja? When he picked up Keith, looks like having an interest on both. Is he looking for a replace for Heinz?
Old 2016-07-11, 20:05   Link #90
Mistyclear

Wasn't Keith's cockpit hit from the left side so why is his right side injured??
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 20:06   Link #91
cyberdemon

Looks like Keith has more lasting damage like I was hoping. Looks like he lost an eye from Hayate's attack. Certainly didn't slow him down in the least though...
Old 2016-07-11, 20:45   Link #92
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
Wasn't Keith's cockpit hit from the left side so why is his right side injured??
He could have been injured in a rough landing or if he cracked his head on the right side of the cockpit after being struck on the left.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-11, 23:24   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

A funny thought I just had...

When future Macross-verse historians look back on the Windermere/NUN war, do you know what name they'll give it?

Roid Rage...
Old 2016-07-11, 23:55   Link #94
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
Think of it like this. Say a piece of debris from the damaged fighter hit Keith's visor of his helmet. It's would be flying from his left side to the right side. A shard of the visor likely broke off and followed the momentum hitting him in the right side of his face. It doesn't need to be a deep hit, just one that could nick the eye. The left side would actually be better protected in this case.
Old 2016-07-12, 09:25   Link #95
Father Hentai

Didn't Keith looked to his left, when Hayate had a lucky hut on his cockpit? now if the bullet has hit his instrument panel and explosion came from that side, then it would make sense that his right facepart could get injured.
Old 2016-07-12, 11:21   Link #96
dmaxzero

Ok episode. Showed a bit more of Windermere.

What is tiring me too much is the use of magical powers in the show.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-12, 18:33   Link #97
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
@Dash Hunter - Keith being "just that good" is a little ridiculous, yeah.

OTOH, this "feeling the wind" thing is pretty much a superpower, based on Windermere genetics. It honestly makes me think of Spider-Man's spidey sense. So at least it's not completely unbelievable that Keith is this incredibly good. The show has given Keith an actual superpower to justify it some.

For good or for ill, we pretty much have super-powered pilots capable of destroying a lot of their enemy. The only thing that seems to be able to match Keith is Hayate powered up by Freyja. So this might actually come down to a duel between two super-powered pilots. Ironic given what Messer once said to Hayate.
To be honest, at this point the Wind/Fold stuff really is getting near to be the Force from Star Wars in many aspects. Some people do feel the Force/Wind and get superpowers from it.
Old 2016-07-12, 23:21   Link #98
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
To be honest, at this point the Wind/Fold stuff really is getting near to be the Force from Star Wars in many aspects. Some people do feel the Force/Wind and get superpowers from it.
Kind of funny we have the Force, but the mechs in this series don't have light sabers .
Old 2016-07-12, 23:55   Link #99
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Kind of funny we have the Force, but the mechs in this series don't have light sabers .
When you have reaction weaponry and MDEs... do you really need light sabres?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 01:05   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You always need lightsabers!
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote