2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-01-01, 11:42   Link #81
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The technologies displayed in the first episode utilized by Walures are nothing new in the Macross universe. I cannot convince you to believe in Delta's take on relative realism, but at the same time, the technologies had been around for a long time.

- Tak
Yep seems to be an outgrowth of tech like microphone drones, barrier tech, and holography.

We've seen Sheryl have rocket boosters and a holographic catsuit.

It's more like technology marches on.

The Wulkure are like a public safety first response team.
Old 2016-01-01, 12:03   Link #82
Kazu-kun

Kawamori really believes in the power of music and doesn't really like having weapons as the main solutions to conflicts. He regrets the ending of DYRL.
Spoiler for DYRL:

In that sense, I always thought AKB0048 was closer to what Kawamori was aiming for with Macross than Macross itself (7 aside, I guess). A story where the main characters literally stop conflicts with love and songs. I know, it sounds cheesy as hell, but that's Kawamori for you.

That's why Delta feels like Kawamori's natural progression towards his ideal Macross.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-01-01 at 12:14.
Old 2016-01-01, 12:08   Link #83
ReddyRedWolf

As said Freyja has a specific form of Synesthesia hearing music as colors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
Quote:
Chromesthesia
Main article: Chromesthesia

Another common form of synesthesia is the association of sounds with colors. For some, everyday sounds such as doors opening, cars honking, or people talking can trigger seeing colors. For others, colors are triggered when musical notes and/or keys are being played. People with synesthesia related to music may also have perfect pitch because their ability to see/hear colors aids them in identifying notes or keys.[citation needed]

The colors triggered by certain sounds, and any other synesthetic visual experiences, are referred to as photisms.

According to Richard Cytowic,[3] chromesthesia is "something like fireworks": voice, music, and assorted environmental sounds such as clattering dishes or dog barks trigger color and firework shapes that arise, move around, and then fade when the sound ends. Sound often changes the perceived hue, brightness, scintillation, and directional movement. Some individuals see music on a "screen" in front of their faces. For Deni Simon, music produces waving lines "like oscilloscope configurations lines moving in color, often metallic with height, width and, most importantly, depth. My favorite music has lines that extend horizontally beyond the 'screen' area."

Individuals rarely agree on what color a given sound is. B flat might be orange for one person and blue for another. Composers Liszt and Rimsky-Korsakov famously disagreed on the colors of music keys.
There seems to be a synesthesia connection with Var Syndrome as well.
Quote:
Misophonia
Main article: Misophonia

Misophonia is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, fright, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds. Richard Cytowic suggests that misophonia is related to, or perhaps a variety of, synesthesia.[23] Miren Edelstein and her colleagues have compared misophonia to synesthesia in terms of connectivity between different brain regions as well as specific symptoms. They formed the hypothesis that "a pathological distortion of connections between the auditory cortex and limbic structures could cause a form of sound-emotion synesthesia."[24]
Old 2016-01-01, 12:21   Link #84
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Hope they include a hot blooded song that buff other VF pilots squadrons reaction time, battle field awareness heck this is getting to be like super robo wars game
Old 2016-01-01, 12:40   Link #85
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Just hope when the actual show starts it gets some decent fansubs going, because I doubt very much there'll be any streaming (HG being bastards, obvs.)
I don't think it's going to be that, but I do think that getting the music clearances for streaming would be the most difficult part.
Old 2016-01-01, 12:53   Link #86
Hmm....

Just watched the episode.

Didn't expect that. WTF level MAX !!

Seriously, I was prepared for the series taking AKB48 route instead of single fledgling idol. I was prepared for the series taking harem route instead of proper love triangle. I never expected them to go magical girl route. In the way, they did succeed at leaving a very strong impression, I guess. lol

On an episode itself, Graphic is good. Not as good as Macross Frontier but still good enough, IMO. On music, While I think they are generic pop songs. They still made a good use of them and there is a nice transition at the end. On character & costume design, on one hand, we have a typical Macross design. On the other, we have Code Geass level costume and WTF with their hair. On characters itself, I think they are quite good. Freyja is more entertaining to watch than Ranka. While Hayate seem to be more annoying than Alto, I can certainly related to him as he goes WTF?? Seriously !?!? for the whole second half. For the rest of Walkure, as they appear for WTF factor, WTF is all an impression I have with them, for now. On battle scene....They are..erm..great, for a magical girl show, that is.

This is not necessary a bad thing. However, it's not what people expect from the franchise. Perhaps, Macross 7's fans do ? I don't know. Even Macross 7 is not this magical at early part of it's story. If this is a new season of Symphogear, this would be grand.

If Kawamori's idea of "Love & Song. Not War." is by weaponize idols. I think he goes down the wrong path here.
Old 2016-01-01, 13:14   Link #87
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
I was prepared for the series taking harem route instead of proper love triangle.
What harem?

There are enough bishonen in Delta for every girl to be the center of their own love triangles.
Old 2016-01-01, 13:20   Link #88
Hmm....

Oh, I was just saying I was prepared for anything I saw in PV. I didn't imply that the anime actually goes that route. Sorry for being unclear.
Old 2016-01-01, 13:24   Link #89
Kazu-kun

The Ikenai Borderline single is out.

Old 2016-01-01, 13:24   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The technologies displayed in the first episode utilized by Walures are nothing new in the Macross universe. I cannot convince you to believe in Delta's take on relative realism, but at the same time, the technologies had been around for a long time.

- Tak
Possibly. I don't remember such... personal resilience in anything I've watched (in my memories, if someone could tank that sort of things without a whole warmachine to be in, it's because they were giant themselves) Though it's not so much about realism as it is about aesthetics. I just don't find that sort of scene "cool".
Old 2016-01-01, 13:56   Link #91
Tenzen12

So it come down to your preferences. Why you didn't say so sooner? I wouldn't feel like argue if it's just that.

And I love Ikenai, these saxs :3
Old 2016-01-01, 14:12   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
So it come down to your preferences. Why you didn't say so sooner? I wouldn't feel like argue if it's just that.
First post: "Too much magical girl, not enough mecha for me.". Which part of that make it sound like anything but my personal preferences? Most of my other posts were even more explicitly about me just not liking it. What did you think it was, and why did it take you so long to catch on?
Old 2016-01-01, 14:14   Link #93
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
If Kawamori's idea of "Love & Song. Not War." is by weaponize idols. I think he goes down the wrong path here.
Actually, within the context of Macross.... when the human race has been saved multiple times by the power of singers and music, of course they're going to think that said profession is the biggest deal when it comes to the continued existence of the human race.

So why not go all the way with it?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2016-01-01, 14:23   Link #94
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Too much magical girl, not enough mecha for me. (Or rather, I have a problem with magical girls being so... immune to the threat of giant mechas.)
I think you forget some bits of your post...

Well, still reading your post again, I might be one at fault here.
Old 2016-01-01, 14:52   Link #95
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So I’ve just watched this episode and I don’t really know what to say. I was kinda overwhelmed. But to add substance to my post, let’s start from the things I don’t like:
  • The Mahou Shoujo-element. The Walkure are girls who undergoes a bling2x transformation during the fight and then posing and doing battles on foot while still looking pretty and glowing. Welp. Can’t say I’m a fan of those element. They are fine in mahou shoujo series but here, I just......I don’t know. It’s not bad enough that makes me hate it but I don't really like it either. For all the flaks some fans threw at Basara & Fire Bomber, at least they were fighting in their own valks and did not undergo pretty transformation sequences .
  • Yet another Rei-clone who speaks with monotone voice. She’s not bad enough (yet) to annoy me, but I hope she’ll get more personality than just like to eat jellyfish raw.

What I like:
  • None of the characters annoy me so far. Like many others have said, I got Gamlin-vibe from Mirage. Freyja is quite adorable and Hayate is not angst-ridden like Alto (yet).
  • Mikumo is quite good. I like her character the most so far. Wait, she’s not gonna fall for Hayate is she?
  • Animation is great as you can expect from the latest entry of Macross franchise.
  • The moment the actual dogfights started, I shouted “hell-yeah!!!!” in my mind coz I was prepared for all the fights to be mahou-shoujo-ish after Mikumo’s first pretty transformation.
  • I think I like the song during the final minutes of the episode.
  • It’s fun. At the end of the day, that’s what I want from watching a piece of entertainment like this and this episode delivers that energy and fun, which is saying something after the recent underwhelming and rage-inducing Kawamori-related works such as Aquarion & Nobunaga the Fool.

Other things on my note:
  • No matter what the series is, Destroids are still the cannon fodders of the Macross franchise. My advance condolences to all the ladies & gents who are appointed to pilot Destroids .
  • So...after facing giants, demons, AI, fellow humans, and big bugs, now the latest fleet will face the scariest threat ever: bishounens with fabulous hair .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 View Post
In before a random wild Nekki Basara with his electric guitar appears
Wait, is Basara still alive at this point in the timeline? How many years apart Delta set after Macross 7?
Old 2016-01-01, 14:56   Link #96
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Or rather, I have a problem with magical girls being so... immune to the threat of giant mechas.
I on the other hand, have always appreciated magical girls fighting alongside expensive military hardware.

I have to admit, I think I have been fantasizing about Nanoha standing on top of the Brunhilde from LoGH at some point in my life...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-01-01, 15:03   Link #97
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

20/10! BEST EPISODE I'VE SEEN THIS YEAR AND LAST!

Those fighter sequences were simply ORGASMIC! I have no idea why people are complaining about not enough mechas, because those are simply the best fighter, heck mecha combat I've seen in recent memory. IDGAF the fight scenes may have only lasted 3 minutes in a 25 min episode, because FUCKING MESSER IS SUCH A BAWS!

Lots of elements of AKB0048, and considering I loved the heck out of that show, I'm not complaining even though it looks like Freyja's backstory is copy pasted from that show. I mean, transforming magical girls performing in the middle of the battlefield, with a wannabe idol being influenced by the group when she was young? I just hope they can write a character as compelling as Chieri.

As for the plot, the direction where they're going in that if music is powerful enough to influence people to stop a war, it can also be used to influence them to cause destruction. This double edge sword being the implied reason for VARs syndrome and the reason why Walkure effectively 'jams' it is way more interesting than the 'man vs nature' conflict they did with Frontier. What can I say, I'm really partial to storylines where man's biggest enemy is pretty much himself, so this music vs music is getting me pumped up.

On top of that, Seto Asami finally has another big role! I really thought she was on a huge downturn, but she managed to snag arguably the second female lead role. Can't forget about Freyja's VA, who impressed me more than Nakajima did. Like it's true she sounded a bit flat in her acting, but I can tell she's top notch singing wise. I was absolutely floored when she joined Ikenai Borderline. (GOD I've listened to the song over a dozen times already, help me I can't stop!)

SPRING CAN NOT COME QUICK ENOUGH! Gundam being far into adult territory, then epic Macross the cour after. What a time to be alive!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2016-01-01, 15:16   Link #98
Key Board
Carbon

First orgasm of 2016 award goes to Freyja
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2016-01-01, 15:23   Link #99
kuromitsu

Quote:
I on the other hand, have always appreciated magical girls fighting alongside expensive military hardware.

I have to admit, I think I have been fantasizing about Nanoha standing on top of the Brunhilde from LoGH at some point in my life...

- Tak
Ha, LoGH would totally have male idols/magical boys. Reinhard can be the pretty one, Kircheis the sweet one, Mittermeier and Müller the cute ones, Reuenthal the cool one, Bittenfeld the wild one... Admirals by day, idols at night! With each victory comes the release of a new single and a photobook! (What, they have to get popular with the plebs somehow.)

Oberstein is not pretty enough to perform so he's the one writing the songs and coming up with the choreography.

/off-topic
Old 2016-01-01, 15:36   Link #100
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
For all the flaks some fans threw at Basara & Fire Bomber, at least they were fighting in their own valks and did not undergo pretty transformation sequences .
Macross 7 is the Super Robot of this franchise and had Gattai sequences.

Quote:
Wait, is Basara still alive at this point in the timeline? How many years apart Delta set after Macross 7?
We last saw Basara in Macross Dynamite 7. That was 2047. In universe Fire Bomber released an album in 2059. Gavil gave VHS tapes to Ozma and Sheryl in Macross FB7.

Not counting when Basara time-traveled to Ouroboros in 2060 during Macross 30.

So 20 years since the current year in 2067.
Closed Thread