AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Yotsuba Inheritance Arc (Volume 16) Rating
Perfect 10 67 68.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 11.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-04-09, 12:48   Link #81
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
lol, why did kana ishida switch styles all of a sudden just for this cover? Maybe the novel is gonna take a big change as well?
Or he's just baiting

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 14:02   Link #82
tigerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
No, it means that they are really siblings by blood. Maya is denying it because she is planning something and because of this, Miyuki thinks it's OK to consider Tatsuya as a love interest now.
I think I need yellowsnake to translate that line. The way it's interpreted in Google Translate could imply two different things: 1) they're blood siblings and Maya is lying to Tatsuya, or 2) there was a conspiracy involved with Tatsuya's birth that affects the nature of Tatsuya's and Miyuki's relationship (related by blood or something else). I anticipate this volume covering Tatsuya's birth and subsequent issues, so I would not be surprised if the quote is referencing the latter interpretation. So hopefully yellowsnake (or another Japanese interpreter) sees this and helps me out.
tigerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 14:57   Link #83
ProxyAccount

I wasn't going to say anything about it, but now I feel that I should. My translation of the summary is roughly this:
Spoiler:

Even though they are brother and sister (that is, their relationship is that of siblings), Maya tells Tatsuya that they aren't actually close blood-relations. What that means is up to interpretation, but Miyuki's mind takes to mean that it's okay to start thinking of him in a romantic sense (which she's pretty much doing anyways). It also opens up the whole mess as to what the two siblings' genetic relationship is, how they came to be Yotsuba, and the reason for them becoming brother and sister.
Quote:
The volume is not even out and ti's confirmed that they are siblings by blood, it would have been ridiculous if they were not at this point, good. I wonder what Maya is planning.

Since Miyuki considers it's possible to see Tatsuya as a lover now things will get more interesting
It's never been confirmed that they are siblings by blood. It's mentioned by Miyuki that there supposedly there were DNA tests confirming their relationship, but even she holds some doubts.
One of them (or both!) might be test tube babies and/or adopted (not legally, though that might be a minor point to the 10MC) by the Yotsuba.

Last edited by ProxyAccount; 2015-04-24 at 06:59. Reason: Refined translation....
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:08   Link #84
Clutchdog

Yeah, you can interpret the summary in various ways. It's not all conclusive yet.

I really wouldn't mind seeing them being actual siblings but I wonder where the author would take the story from there. The premise in Mahouka (for this pairing at least) is a bit unusual for the fact that they'd have to be able to produce children, which is the way that leads directly into problem-city, and it would have to be addressed. Unlike in some other works, you can't actually just leave it entirely open ended here.

Maybe Minoru and the ES usage in the last volume were introduced so that Tatsuya has the tools to solve this problem? Could also mean that the 10MC system will get erased entirely (meaning Tatsuya and Miyuki won't have to have children anymore?), the problem with this though is that there will be other countries that will be getting ahead, and I doubt the story will introduce anything as(or more) powerful of a war deterrent than Tatsuya and Strategic-class magicians. so I somehow doubt this would be the case. I don't know, regardless I'm not convinced of anything yet.

I wonder what the sales of this volume will be, seems like everyone and their pet dogs are waiting for it.
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:15   Link #85
Echizen777

Doesn't amtro post confirm that they are siblings?

This one.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:16   Link #86
Clutchdog

It's a shoddy translation. No offense.
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:31   Link #87
amtro
Distro

It's a bad translation and it's not mine. If you're wondering about the extra comments I made, it's a joke, don't put too much thought into it.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:39   Link #88
tigerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
I wasn't going to say anything about it, but now I feel that I should. My translation of the summary is roughly this:
Spoiler:

Even though they are brother and sister (that is, their relationship is that of siblings), Maya tells Tatsuya that they aren't actually close blood-relations. What that means is up to interpretation, but Miyuki's mind takes to mean that it's okay to start thinking of him in a romantic sense (which she's pretty much doing anyways). It also opens up the whole mess as to what the two siblings' genetic relationship is, how they came to be Yotsuba, and the reason for them becoming brother and sister.

It's never been confirmed that they are siblings by blood. It's mentioned by Miyuki that there supposedly there were DNA tests confirming their relationship, but even she holds some doubts.
One of them (or both!) might be test tube babies and/or adopted (not legally, though that might be a minor point to the 10MC) by the Yotsuba.
Thanks for your help.
tigerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 15:56   Link #89
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Or he's just baiting
I don't know. I think we're too far in to be baiting at this point when the story is supposedly suppose to end soon.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 16:06   Link #90
ProxyAccount

MKnR is supposed to cover three years of the siblings' lives. The author has been progressing the story at a rate of about one year for every 8 novels. We can expect the next eight or so novels to cover the remaining year. Since the novels have been released at about one every three months or so, it will probably take about two years to complete this series. Whether there's a second series is a different matter.
Old 2015-04-09, 16:20   Link #91
amtro
Distro

The author isn't picky with the title, or how much the story is going to cover. He has no issues with dragging this onto university if he has to. It says so in the afterword.
Old 2015-04-09, 17:28   Link #92
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
There might be consequences at his job if he's known to be moonlighting as a light novel author. Many companies that are still providing full-time employment and benefits are less-than-understanding about part-time work. After all, if you have extra time, why aren't you working overtime? While MKnR might be bringing in money right now, there's no guarantee that he will have another hit. So he will probably want to keep his main job unless he's certain that it's safe to be a full-time writer.
I think, his main job probably also pays well. Based on simple calculation, I think he made between 2M and 3M in U.S. currency if he gets 10% profit per each book sales. And, It does not include profits from animation and other related products.
Quote:
God. my speculation was wrong. I thought Maya and Tatsuya would show up.
Quote:
The volume is not even out and ti's confirmed that they are siblings by blood, it would have been ridiculous if they were not at this point, good. I wonder what Maya is planning.
Since Miyuki considers it's possible to see Tatsuya as a lover now things will get more interesting
I agree with Echizen777. This is a simple information to attract readers to purchase. Inside of the volume probably includes more complicated stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
things ain't looking good (for Tatsuya at least ) Is Satou really gonna head THAT way with Mahouka? I remember somewhere that he said in an interview that he was not planing for the incest route? or it's just me being silly???
No, he never said, he will not choose incest route. Long, Long time ago, I heard, he said, Miyuki will marry off to another man at the end or something similar, but it is just rumor, and we do not have actual interview on online for us to confirm it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Here's a tip: Don't use google translations and if you do, don't let it be your only referrence.
Well. if you can read additional language besides English, you can double-check with multiple language. Google translation is not perfect, but if you can crosscheck with other language, it may be helpful.
Quote:
I think, Miyuki may be a test tube baby or genetically altered. Unlike Minoru, Miyuki may be the perfect success. Even, the author used the word, "Masterpiece" of Yotsuba when he described Miyuki in the previous volume. Tatsuya cannot be a test tube baby (genetically altered one) because Yotsuba would never make somebody like Tatsuya who has strong BS powers. I think, Tatsuya is just a freak of nature.

This is my interpretation:
Without Red texts, rest of the text says, Maya told Tatsuya and Miyuki that Miyuki is not his sister. For Tatsuya, it is "lie" because of his elemental sight. But, Miyuki takes the message as a permission to see Tatsuya as a love interest. But, the Red text states, Tatsuya and Miyuki are real siblings, but their blood relationship is rejected by Maya's scheme.

Currently, Maya's disclosed schemes are two: making Miyuki as a heir and stop ostracizing Tatsuya from the family. Now, we have one additional scheme, which is making siblings as non-blood related. Just like some audiences suggested, Maya may be planning to go public with Miyuki as a heir and Tatsuya as her fiancé while exposing some of his identities. In this way, Maya can stop Kudou Retsu or anyone from trying to take Tatsuya away from Yotsuba. At the same time, she can also stop Tatsuya from leaving Yotsuba.

However, I am doubting the red text where says, they are "true" siblings because if they are true siblings, the author will have to be super imaginative to come up with a reason why the clan tried to kill Tatsuya when he was born. Mitsugu, Miya, and other seven branch leaders obviously hated him because of undisclosed reasons.

Anyway, we will have to wait for the release to confirm what is going to happen in Mahouka. From my view, the worst scenario for Tatsuya fan is making Miyuki as a heir while forcing Tatsuya to stay in the shadow even if he gets invited back into the family.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-09 at 17:39.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 18:03   Link #93
amtro
Distro

Miyuki is not the sin of the Yotsuba. If she's a genetically altered test tube baby then Tatsuya has to be something even more heretical because he's the tabboo subject not Miyuki, something like a straight up demon. Didn't Kudou refer to the parasidolls as demons, their powers as demonic power and their thick psion shrouds as demonic aura? Funny because what the parasites use to attack are just superpowers, the same thing magicians use. This would mean that they too are demons, or at least descended from them and that Miyuki was right in her assertion that the parasites could be some sort of magician ancestral race. At any rate Tatsuya is stronger than any single parasite, so if he is one then he couldn't have originated from just any lab. There would have to be thick "demon" blood in his linage. Something like a possessed magician perhaps.
Old 2015-04-09, 18:36   Link #94
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Miyuki is not the sin of the Yotsuba. If she's a genetically altered test tube baby then Tatsuya has to be something even more heretical because he's the tabboo subject not Miyuki, something like a straight up demon. Didn't Kudou refer to the parasidolls as demons, their powers as demonic power and their thick psion shrouds as demonic aura? Funny because what the parasites use to attack are just superpowers, the same thing magicians use. This would mean that they too are demons, or at least descended from them and that Miyuki was right in her assertion that the parasites could be some sort of magician ancestral race. At any rate Tatsuya is stronger than any single parasite, so if he is one then he couldn't have originated from just any lab. There would have to be thick "demon" blood in his linage. Something like a possessed magician perhaps.
I think, Mitsugu described Tatsuya as "crystallization of Yotsuba's sin". Personally, I do not think, Mitsugu said this because Tatsuya is some kind of evil test subject. In the conversation with Mitsugu, Hayama also described Tatsuya as an innocent person while calling him in an extremely respectful manner by using the word, Anokata(あの方) when he talks about Tatsuya.

I see Tatsuya vs. Yotsuba similar to Kudo vs. Traditionalists. Traditionalists were used by the government and got rejected. But, they could not stand against the country because they may get labeled as traitors, so they aim their hatred against families from 9th institute. However, Kudo, Kuzumi, and Kuki did not resolve the uncomfortable relationship with traditionalists because Nine families are not the one who took advantages from them. Similar to this relationship, I speculate Yotsuba committed something (Sin) and were punished by superior powers. Somehow, Tatsuya is related to what they did, and Tatsuya became their target because they cannot do anything on beings that punished them. And, this volume may expose "Sin" of Yotsuba.

And, if Tatsuya is demon or mononoke, Mahouka will definitely enter the second season.
I cannot completely reject this idea because in many animes and games mages (magicians) use demon as a protector and a partner in the battle.
So far, I still do not understand why Satou used the word, "guardian" for describing a bodyguard. At the beginning, Satou adopted many terms and ideas from other LNs, animations, and mangas, so I assumed, he may benchmark the term, "guardian" from Type-Moon's Fate Stay Night. If Tatsuya gets invited to the family, I think, the title, "guardian" may really become meaningless.

By the way, when does Dengeki upload the sample page for each book?
Is it one week before the release?

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-09 at 19:20. Reason: one question.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 19:49   Link #95
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
So far, I still do not understand why Satou used the word, "guardian" for describing a bodyguard. At the beginning, Satou adopted many terms and ideas from other LNs, animations, and mangas, so I assumed, he may benchmark the term, "guardian" from Type-Moon's Fate Stay Night. If Tatsuya gets invited to the family, I think, the title, "guardian" may really become meaningless.
Have you tried Hindu mythology?

Is Lucarion here? He might know something about this. (May be Shiva is a protector of Parvti? What about Minami?)
Old 2015-04-09, 20:56   Link #96
Armando99

This is what happens when people try to second guess the author, specially one who is really proficient (more like an addiction it seems) in misdirection and often leave the ending of a volume/chapter "hanging".

It is not like it's totally unexpected though. We all know how Miyuki felt about her "onii-chan" since the beginning of the story. Like someone already said, "it is now going to get very interesting" as there has been no significant change to Miyuki's feelings for some time.

Thanks for the summary @Amtro, that really got the crowd going.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 21:32   Link #97
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Have you tried Hindu mythology?

Is Lucarion here? He might know something about this. (May be Shiva is a protector of Parvti? What about Minami?)
Well, I am now? As for connecting this to the myths, there's really not much more I can say at this point. Though what True Alchemist and amtro said is interesting and might just connect to the legends when seen in the right light:

If Miyuki is the test tube baby, genetically-modified to become everything the Yotsuba desired--then that could kinda be seen as her referencing Parvati's role as the best of what civilization has to offer. Tatsuya being a freak of nature could be seen as him paralleling Shiva, who was the dangerous, wild, and unpredictable side of nature.

If Tatsuya's the test tube baby, then that ties in with Shiva supposedly not being born normally--if the rumors of some of his family members trying to kill him as an infant is also true, that could also connect with the myths as Shiva supposedly came into existence through a pillar of fire. Parvati's family doted on her much in the same way Miyuki's family does too.

If both of them are test tube babies, then the Yotsuba sin part could be easily taken as Miyuki being the success of the Yotsuba experiments in genetic engineering, while Tatsuya is actually one of their earlier attempts, and thus a painful reminder of Yotsuba hubris--as they effectively created a monster, not a mage.

As for the lovey-dovey cover image....it could mean that...

Tatsuya eventually becomes accepted as a full member of the Yotsuba--in a fashion. The whole clan will give Tatsuya and Miyuki's union approval, and Maya might manipulate the civilian registry to allow their match to be legal. Tatsuya will come to the party, maybe with a few companions in tow, ridiculed and looked-down on--only for Maya to reveal the truth of why he's here, and he's presented to the rest of the family looking like the true heir and master of the house. With Maya's authority, Shiba Tatsuya will marry back into the family as the husband of the future clan head, Miyuki--serving a similar function as Hayama (which is what Tatsuya wants anyway). People will be in awe, some will grovel to their knees for past shows of rudeness, and anyone who has anything against the match for any reason will be forced to shut up lest their incur the wrath of the three strongest mages in the world, who have now decided to stop their in-fighting in the name of pushing a supposedly impossible marriage.

All of this, I'm basing on the scene of Parvati's wedding and Shiva's demonic procession. But again, and it bears repeating, this is just me and things in the story could be, and probably will be, very different.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 21:33   Link #98
yellowsnake

I feel like this is just a test from the Yotsuba, if Tatsuya and Miyuki falls in love, then decide if Tatsuya cannot be trusted. Originally Tatsuya's shackle is his sibling love, not romantic love. Tatsuya gives cold treatment to most people who are not his sister. If you base this on yotsuba's way of dealing with people, then this attitude qualifies him as a weapon. If the sibling decides to have a romantic relationship, it mean Tatsuya's shackle is not as effective as they might think, and that means there will could be a chance of betrayal in the future. Miyuki will probably be fooled, but Tatsuya won't be fooled.
yellowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 22:25   Link #99
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnake View Post
I feel like this is just a test from the Yotsuba, if Tatsuya and Miyuki falls in love, then decide if Tatsuya cannot be trusted. Originally Tatsuya's shackle is his sibling love, not romantic love. Tatsuya gives cold treatment to most people who are not his sister. If you base this on yotsuba's way of dealing with people, then this attitude qualifies him as a weapon. If the sibling decides to have a romantic relationship, it mean Tatsuya's shackle is not as effective as they might think, and that means there will could be a chance of betrayal in the future. Miyuki will probably be fooled, but Tatsuya won't be fooled.
IS it possible for him to have a stronger romantic love than sibling love? From everything we've been told so far, sibling love is the only strong emotion left for him to feel.

If Maya's statement is in fact a "lie" as stated, this would present a conundrum to Tatsuya. Unless of course he already knows the truth due to his elemental sight.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 23:46   Link #100
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
I think, Mitsugu described Tatsuya as "crystallization of Yotsuba's sin". Personally, I do not think, Mitsugu said this because Tatsuya is some kind of evil test subject.
Mitsugu's phrasing doesn't even treat him as a person, more like a foreign, dangerous thing. ...Ah, the BT version fails to convey it.
Spoiler:

Quote:
In the conversation with Mitsugu, Hayama also described Tatsuya as an innocent person while calling him in an extremely respectful manner by using the word, Anokata(あの方) when he talks about Tatsuya.
Hayama may respect Tatsuya, but isn't the same as someone conscious of power/danger? When handling wild animals, you learn to respect them. A crocodile bears no grudge nor feel malice, but it might easily kill you just the same. Having said that, Hayama is one of those I think that might have goodwill towards Tatsuya.
Quote:
I see Tatsuya vs. Yotsuba similar to Kudo vs. Traditionalists. Traditionalists were used by the government and got rejected. But, they could not stand against the country because they may get labeled as traitors, so they aim their hatred against families from 9th institute. However, Kudo, Kuzumi, and Kuki did not resolve the uncomfortable relationship with traditionalists because Nine families are not the one who took advantages from them. Similar to this relationship, I speculate Yotsuba committed something (Sin) and were punished by superior powers. Somehow, Tatsuya is related to what they did, and Tatsuya became their target because they cannot do anything on beings that punished them. And, this volume may expose "Sin" of Yotsuba.

And, if Tatsuya is demon or mononoke, Mahouka will definitely enter the second season.
I cannot completely reject this idea because in many animes and games mages (magicians) use demon as a protector and a partner in the battle.
Being a crystal of the Yotsuba's sin, it may be that Tatsuya is the result of a Yotsuba experiment going too far in trying to create a superior Magician. Even if he's a 'demon', the body was still created by the Yotsuba from someone. Meanwhile, Miyuki might be a successful result of more acceptable (ethical?) techniques.

Tags
satroll, shippers tragedy