AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-08-08, 04:04   Link #81
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
What happened to the good old days of tight pilot suits? Those can look sexy and plausible.
To be fair, even that kind of pilot suit isn't really plausible in practice.

It does look better than the new ones here but, admittedly, I don't particularly care for this sort of design philosophy in the first place.

There's very little I care about when it comes to this project so far. Hopefully they'll show something more interesting later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
All about the perspective man. If you saw Valvrave with serious outlook, it is a terrible anime. By looking at it as a comedy, it becomes one of the best anime ever.
Hyperbole aside...well, not even the people making the series were looking at it with a "serious" outlook.

I'm surprised there are still folks who had trouble realizing that, like Duel, but maybe I shouldn't be.
Old 2014-08-08, 09:53   Link #82
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Eva and Muv luv's sweet tight pilot suits. Done good without skin exposition but still sexy
Yep, sometime less skin is sexier.
I tried to see f there was any justification for the suit in the trailer, something along the line of skin interface being necessary. Doesn't seem like it, it is going to be really hard for them to justify these suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
Hyperbole aside...well, not even the people making the series were looking at it with a "serious" outlook.

I'm surprised there are still folks who had trouble realizing that, like Duel, but maybe I shouldn't be.
Shoko's run for the president was when I lost it completely.

"Real issue? F that shit, time for school festival mofos!"

Regarding tight suits, I agree that in real life context they would be pretty bad, but they do work in anime context.
Old 2014-08-08, 10:41   Link #83
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Considering that there are mecha anime like Goddanar that had swimsuit-esque pilot suits, and yet were still able to play serious stories with a straight face, the pilot suits here don't really bug me at all. While it is a shame that they had to resort to doing skimpy bikinis for the pilot suits, that really shouldn't factor into how the series will portray its story, whether it'll be completely serious or comical, or you know telling a serious story while sill managing a jab here and there.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2014-08-09, 00:09   Link #84
ankgembala
Public Morals Committee

Newtype..
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-08-09, 09:02   Link #85
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
A nice story premise, and I could learn to get over serious Freedom/Strike Freedom imitation. (though Fukuda..............)

But an all-female pilot cast?

I have nothing against female pilots. Just the opposite, actually. But when they keep making all-female pilot shows like this, it's like the anime world keeps throwing up a sign that says "the action/mecha world isn't for women so we make these seperate series for the girls."

When are we going to get another Haman Kahn or Kallen Kouzuki, women who don't need segregated series-es to be cool pilots? >.>
Old 2014-08-09, 09:08   Link #86
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
A nice story premise, and I could learn to get over serious Freedom/Strike Freedom imitation. (though Fukuda..............)

I have nothing against female pilots. Just the opposite, actually. But when they keep making all-female pilot shows like this, it's like the anime world keeps throwing up a sign that says "the action/mecha world isn't for women so we make these seperate series for the girls."

When are we going to get another Haman Kahn or Kallen Kouzuki, women who don't need segregated series-es to be cool pilots? >.>
probably never... women in anime these day just for fanservice object
Old 2014-08-09, 10:23   Link #87
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Loking at the state of anime these days, requesting a figure like Haman Karn in Zeta Gundam (a genuinely strong and commanding female character in a world of men without a shred of fanservice on her, aside from her overall beauty) is really really difficult if not outright impossible. Even some strong female characters like Major Motoko Kusanagi & Kallen Kouzuki still become fanservice vehicles to some degree (eg. Motoko's rather skimpy outfit in GITS SAC which is basically a "bathng suit + jacket" and Kallen's many boob-shots & butt-shots). It's good that Motoko doesn't wear her "bathing suit" (yet) in the new GITS Arise OVAs but she still suffer some "fanservice scenes" in it. As far as strong-actiony female-chara with "little-to-no moe/fanservice" goes, I think Balsa from Seirei no Moribito is worth to be mentioned. She might not be a perfect representation of post 2000s, but she's mighty fine.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2014-08-09 at 10:38.
Old 2014-08-09, 11:55   Link #88
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Considering that there are mecha anime like Goddanar that had swimsuit-esque pilot suits, and yet were still able to play serious stories with a straight face, the pilot suits here don't really bug me at all. While it is a shame that they had to resort to doing skimpy bikinis for the pilot suits, that really shouldn't factor into how the series will portray its story, whether it'll be completely serious or comical, or you know telling a serious story while sill managing a jab here and there.
Pretty much my opinion on the pilot suits as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Loking at the state of anime these days, requesting a figure like Haman Karn in Zeta Gundam (a genuinely strong and commanding female character in a world of men without a shred of fanservice on her, aside from her overall beauty) is really really difficult if not outright impossible. Even some strong female characters like Major Motoko Kusanagi & Kallen Kouzuki still become fanservice vehicles to some degree (eg. Motoko's rather skimpy outfit in GITS SAC which is basically a "bathng suit + jacket" and Kallen's many boob-shots & butt-shots). It's good that Motoko doesn't wear her "bathing suit" (yet) in the new GITS Arise OVAs but she still suffer some "fanservice scenes" in it. As far as strong-actiony female-chara with "little-to-no moe/fanservice" goes, I think Balsa from Seirei no Moribito is worth to be mentioned. She might not be a perfect representation of post 2000s, but she's mighty fine.
I don't think Shinji's post was about sexualization or strong female characters that aren't used for fanservice, but more about the existence of segregated Mecha shows. That there can't be a balance between male pilots and competent female pilots in anime, which leads to shows having pretty much all-female casts just to have more strong female pilots instead of striving for more gender equality .
Old 2014-08-09, 13:16   Link #89
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't think Shinji's post was about sexualization or strong female characters that aren't used for fanservice, but more about the existence of segregated Mecha shows. That there can't be a balance between male pilots and competent female pilots in anime, which leads to shows having pretty much all-female casts just to have more strong female pilots instead of striving for more gender equality .
EXACTLY. Thank you.

Not to say that female pilots shouldn't be allowed to have female-only shows, but the lack of balanced shows is the problem.
Old 2014-08-09, 16:10   Link #90
Wandering Soul

Quote:
EXACTLY. Thank you.

Not to say that female pilots shouldn't be allowed to have female-only shows, but the lack of balanced shows is the problem.
That is somewhat of a problem with some Mecha shows. Even when they do try to have both male and female pilots usually the number of male pilots ends up far outnumbering the amount of female competent non fodder female pilots. Gundam ZZ was the most gender balanced out of the gundam shows I have seen. Ironically Gundam ZZ was the same series where Haman Khan who Obelisk mentioned above was the main antagonist.
Old 2014-08-09, 16:19   Link #91
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
No, I added the sexualization bit because it's part of the problem. See, in a non-segregated mecha series, the girls and women are often exist for eye-candy, sexualization & romance first before their skills. Let alone piloting-skill that surpass most of the main male casts like Haman Karn. Some recent examples of that would be anime like Valvrave, Nobunaga the Fool, Captain Earth, and many others. In some cases, there are competent female-pilot protagonists in the show that surpass the male MC's skill, but their their roles gor nerfed by the writer by making them piloting considerably weak mass-produced mechas instead of the same "cool prototypes" like the male MCs get. The most recent examples of them are the now-airing M3: Kuroki Hagane & Argevollen (at least so far into the story). So yeah, I do miss animes where female-pilots exist not for the primary reason of being a love-interest, but have actual roles to further the plot and has some real skills to kick some ass too in a non-segregated mecha series like Patlabor (Noa Izumi & Kanuka Clancy), Zeta Gundam (Haman Karn), Gundam Unicorn (Marida Cruz), Gundam 0080 (Christina MacKenzie), etc.
Old 2014-08-09, 16:30   Link #92
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
Ironically Gundam ZZ was the same series where Haman Khan who Obelisk mentioned above was the main antagonist.
You mean who I mentioned above. Nobody speaks of Haman before me!

Haman-sama, BANZAI!
Old 2014-08-09, 16:52   Link #93
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
You mean who I mentioned above. Nobody speaks of Haman before me!
Nobody mentioned Haman before you because its near-impossible to expect a character like Haman in today's mecha show. But hey, Tomino will soon release his new series called Gundam Reconguista, so who knows?
Old 2014-08-09, 22:18   Link #94
shadow1296

Old 2014-08-09, 22:23   Link #95
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
It's just the trailer and it's already happening. Didn't really expect much more from a Fukuda series. -_-
Old 2014-08-09, 22:36   Link #96
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Spoiler for Gundam SEED Ange:
so SEED movie sequel project revival when?
or go back making Gear Fighter Dendoh successors?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2014-08-09, 22:49   Link #97
Wandering Soul

Quote:
It's not really a surprise. I have a feeling subtlety is not this series's strong point.
Old 2014-08-09, 23:27   Link #98
Dr. Dahm
Banned

Quote:

I don't know the main character wears a cape and gets out of a cockpit while firing her gun in synchronicity with her mech. That's like 80's action hero level ham machoism right there. Much can get made of the costume design, but I wouldn't put the cart before the horse to much based on what I've seen from that trailer. The cast could end up pretty gender neutral in terms of treatment or they could basically just be bumbling sex objects in mechs, but I get this feeling it's at least a little closer to the former than the later.

Also isn't Mamoru Miyano cast in this? He could be a dragon or something which would be hilarious but it implies some sort of traditionally masculine presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Nobody mentioned Haman before you because its near-impossible to expect a character like Haman in today's mecha show. But hey, Tomino will soon release his new series called Gundam Reconguista, so who knows?
Haman Karn is a pretty 80's kind of character in concept. You're right to say you really just can't pull that sort of character out of a hat in this era.
Old 2014-08-09, 23:50   Link #99
shadow1296

Quote:
It's just the trailer and it's already happening. Didn't really expect much more from a Fukuda series. -_-
yeah that is what i am most worried about and that is fukuda's pension for scene recycling, and fact that it is already starting in the trailer is not a good sign, and it might not be just the freedom and its scenes he's recycling of the mechs in the promotional art on the first page of this thread has coloring similar to that of the justice, so its highly likely that it is a knight variant of the justice as well like the mc's mech is a knight variant of the freedom
Old 2014-08-10, 01:13   Link #100
IceHism

Quote:

Perfect, i will just imagine that this show is the gundam seed movie. That's fine with me.

I hope the characters are badass in this and that the story is interesting
Closed Thread