Notices

Old 2012-06-15, 03:33   Link #81
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

[SPOILER="space"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:

Ok first off I agree with every thing you stated. The film has many shortcomings, many wasted opportunities and alot of unanswered questions. Although most of them were intentional on Scott and Lindelof I highly doubt they expected such a negative reception, and to be honest this reaction baffles me. I dont know why people are taking the idea of ancient astronaut theory and basing the films merits off the probability of its truth. ITS A MOVIE! Prometheus is a fictional story used to represent ideas people may identify with or read themes not intended on the part of production. A quote from V for Vendetta comes to mind: " ...artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie, but because you believed it, you found something true about yourself". I for one really enjoyed the existential questions raised, albeit in fun-size amounts, so much so I forgive the film for its flaws. But im that kinda person who looks at the artsy fartsy stuff in movies so its perfectly understandable if you view it as ruined
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 05:25   Link #82
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Actually, I do not know that. In fact, I know nothing about the technology or the organism (decontamination procedures/devices are given almost magical abilities in film, just look at any number of movies about outbreaks/pandemics). Consequently, I, and I assume most of the audience, am more than willing to accept that Elizabeth thought the creature was dead (obviously I (we) knew it was going to come back, but I did not know this because of any scientific explanation, I simply used horror movie logic to determine that the creature would come back).
Except even a dead alien should be an exceptional concern to the rest of the crew because of fear of contamination. A crew member just came back as a super zombie because of contamination and killed 3-4 different people. And they want to leave a rotting xenomorph and placenta on the ships only autodoc?

But I guess you're right. It's not THAT spectacular of a oversight compared to every other D grade horror movie mistake that the characters made. But Ridley Scott has really fallen if all he can manage in his sci-fi movie plots nowadays is Z-Grade SyFy channel original movie plots.

I take offense to the director making a movie that's supposed to make me think, but requires me to suspend my disbelief over nearly everything the characters do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Ok first off I agree with every thing you stated. The film has many shortcomings, many wasted opportunities and alot of unanswered questions. Although most of them were intentional on Scott and Lindelof I highly doubt they expected such a negative reception, and to be honest this reaction baffles me. I dont know why people are taking the idea of ancient astronaut theory and basing the films merits off the probability of its truth.
I have no objection to a sci-fi film running with an ancient astronaut creator plot line. It's sci-fi afterall.

My issue is that aside from Shaws delusional UFO cult beliefs, there's nothing in the film that suggests the Space Jockey's actually made us. Shaw's entire thesis for this theory is "I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT!". Considering that Shaw/Halloway have been proven wrong in their conjecture before("IT'S AN INVITATION!"), why should I take any unsubstantiated conjecture on their part seriously?

There IS such a thing as unreliable narrator. And what does Ridley Scott want for this film? An intelligent audience that critically examines the movie he made? Or an audience of sheep that mindlessly accepts accepts everything at face value?

If he wants the later he should have just made a straight space monster movie.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 08:44   Link #83
james0246

Quote:
I take offense to the director making a movie that's supposed to make me think, but requires me to suspend my disbelief over nearly everything the characters do.
I completely agree. Despite my liking the acting, the characters, and the events that surround them, are constantly without context. I do not mind preserving the mystery of the Engineers for a later date (it's annoying, but whatever), but not creating characters with definition is awful, especially considering how good the acting is and the sheer potential of the story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:55   Link #84
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

....wait a minute.

If the Space Jockey is basically human...

And the inside of the Space Jockey ship has an earth type atmosphere inside it...

...how did the Space Jockey get from the crashed Space Jockey ship to the escape shuttle Shaw was in without having a space suit?

Last edited by james0246; 2012-06-15 at 10:46.
Old 2012-06-15, 10:18   Link #85
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, there's those helmet thingies that are probably lying around...

Spoiler:

Also...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-06-15 at 10:37.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:45   Link #86
james0246

Quote:
Spoiler for spoilers:
Spoiler for spoilers...:
Old 2012-06-15, 10:53   Link #87
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Well, there's those helmet thingies that are probably lying around...
Pretty sure the Space Jockey didn't have a helmet when it came thundering into the escape shuttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Spoiler for spoilers...:
Probably some external sensors or something.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-06-15 at 11:23.
Old 2012-06-15, 13:43   Link #88
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Space Jockey's evolved from Batman...and they can breath in space.
Old 2012-06-15, 16:06   Link #89
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Space Jockey's evolved from Batman...and they can breath in space.
I wasn't aware that Batmans #1 characteristic was getting face raped by giant squid face huggers.

But if that's the explanation, shouldn't we get to SEE the Space Jockey show off how tough it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Could be just a tactic to push the sales of the home video release here.
Actually, looking at this video again...I'm kinda irritated now.

Quote:
I really want to do the sequel to this one...it leaves the door open to some HUGE questions...and I don't know how to do it, but by the time we get to it I probably will...
...Ridley Scott made a movie that's supposed to end to sequel bait...and he doesn't even have any idea how he would do a sequel to it?

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-06-15 at 16:25.
Old 2012-06-15, 20:04   Link #90
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Prometheus was just what I wanted, had the atmosphere of Event Horizon(Nothing to do with the franchise, I know). Still felt like it has something to do with Ailens. At the end I was fustrated about the unanswered questions. Will be picking this up on blu ray for sure Sorry about the grammer I just got back from the cinema to watch this and it was late viewing its 2am *Sleepy*
Old 2012-06-15, 21:27   Link #91
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

A pretty well thoughout interpretation of the movie here admist all the negative review which deserve some discussion :-

Spoiler for Long Posting:
Source
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 00:51   Link #92
james0246

^All of that is great (I'm sure we've all done similar for a film we've liked that others have not (I did something similar for the film Sucker Punch, amongst other titles that are generally disliked)), but hidden depths (as I and others have alluded to) does not excuse bad characterization, bad editing, bad score, bad pacing, general story incompetence, and bad directing. It's plain and simple, Scott failed at communicating his ideas via the medium he wished to express himself (high ideals and the like does not excuse bad film making. )
Old 2012-06-16, 01:07   Link #93
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Let be forgiving here and take it that somewhere, somehow, Scott had forgotten how to balance out what the Studio demands and what he had envisioned. Perhaps he is under pressure to meet the Summer Blockbuster deadline.
Old 2012-06-16, 05:57   Link #94
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That's heavy enough on the conjecture that I'm not going to take it entirely on face value. Or maybe I'm just not that philosophical/high minded of a person.

Mind, it's not like I didn't pick up some of these elements either. Such as
Spoiler for spoiler:

And as our friendly moderator James said. The fact that Ridley Scott peppered random symbolism throughout the movie doesn't really make it a better movie. And Scott having the studios making crazy demands of him is only an explanation as to why the movie is flawed. It's not an excuse. The movie is still as flawed regardless of what caused it.

For me, the biggest failure of the movie is its failure to present the characters questions as ones the audience should care about. This starts from the start when Shaw and Halloway's general attitude/demeanor and particular kind of enthusiasm makes them come off like arrogant UFO cultists of questionable credibility. The rather incredible thesis of "we were created by aliens!" is just casually dropped on the viewer the way it's dropped on the crew. And there is no profound or compelling explanation given by Shaw or Halloway that this is the truth. We are merely told to accept it as the unquestionable truth, and to acknowledge the significance of the question of "Why the Space Jockeys did this?" unconditionally.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-06-16 at 06:17.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:33   Link #95
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
That's heavy enough on the conjecture that I'm not going to take it entirely on face value. Or maybe I'm just not that philosophical/high minded of a person.
I'm not going to argue with you about the analysis. The source of the original entry is there and you are free to take up arguments with the original blogger.

Quote:
And as our friendly moderator James said. The fact that Ridley Scott peppered random symbolism throughout the movie doesn't really make it a better movie. And Scott having the studios making crazy demands of him is only an explanation as to why the movie is flawed. It's not an excuse. The movie is still as flawed regardless of what caused it.
That much I agree. Scott could have made a mindless action/horror blockbuster like the original Alien but he choose to implant subtle religious philosophical message in there. Everything becomes a mess that flew over the audience head.

However if one can let go of the hate and read into the implanted theme, perhaps they can see the movie in a new light and decide whether the movie deserves the criticism.

Here's one more trivial discovered :-

LV-233

LV= Leviticus
22= Chapter 22
3= Versicle 3

"Say to them: 'For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings that the Israelites consecrate to the LORD, that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the LORD."

I'm not a religious person here, but I find this entry from the bible fits with the theme of the movie
Old 2012-06-16, 06:36   Link #96
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
That much I agree. Scott could have made a mindless action/horror blockbuster like the original Alien but he choose to implant subtle religious philosophical message in there. Everything becomes a mess that flew over the audience head.
I REALLY must protest the assertion that alien was a mindless action/horror blockbuster.

Alien was a pretty damn intelligent and well thought out movie.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:41   Link #97
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
I REALLY must protest the assertion that alien was a mindless action/horror blockbuster.

Alien was a pretty damn intelligent and well thought out movie.
It's one of those good rare old classics made during simpler times that could cut both way.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:19   Link #98
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
It's one of those good rare old classics made during simpler times that could cut both way.
So...Alien WASN'T a mindless action/horror at all, was it?

Though the "all exciting sci-fi movies today are stupid" sounds like a pretty weak argument, considering contemporary high quality action sci-fi includes movies like District 9.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Now I'm not arguing District 9 is as good a movie as Alien. But it's a head and a shoulder above Prometheus.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:43   Link #99
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
So...Alien WASN'T a mindless action/horror at all, was it?
"The 1979 Alien is a much more cerebral movie than its sequels, with the characters (and the audience) genuinely engaged in curiosity about this weirdest of lifeforms...Unfortunately, the films it influenced studied its thrills but not its thinking. – Roger Ebert"

Thus to the casual audience, it's a mindless horror action film. With Prometheus, Scott should have done away with his agenda and look back at what made Alien great.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:51   Link #100
james0246

Quote:
LV-233
LV= Leviticus
22= Chapter 22
3= Versicle 3

"Say to them: 'For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings that the Israelites consecrate to the LORD, that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the LORD."
That's pretty cool (admittedly, this evidence is only useful if the initial analysis is on point). Does anyone know if LV-426 (the name for the planetoid from Alien/Aliens) means anything?