Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 10:40   Link #81
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
As so long as an audience will go and see the same movie over and over again, the companies will continue to make them.

I'm kind of sick and tired of people (as a general statement) blaming the studios for schlock pictures. If movies are bad, they are only bad because the audience at large refuses to ask for something better. Do you really think studios will continue to make hugely over-budgeted mind-numbing films if the audience doesn't go to the theatres to see said film (that is not to say that the newest "Spiderman" is necessarily "hugely over-budgeted" or "mind-numbing")?

The real question isn't "how many times could they reboot Spiderman", but rather If the audience doesn't care, then why should the studios?
I am not arguing about reboots; I am arguing about making movies for no other reason than to keep the filming rights. I don't care how many movies they make if they cared about what they made. But to make Spiderman movies because they HAD to, not because they want to, is not a good basis for a long term franchise.

As I mentioned earlier, the studios actually don't care if you don't see the film at all; One of the Fantastic 4 films was in fact deliberately cheaply made and never released. They didn't even tell the actors about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fan...our_%28film%29

The studio doesn't care about any of these films.
If they make money, fine. But as long as they get to keep the film rights infinitely, it is worth it if only for the small chance that Marvel will pay them to buy the rights back.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:52   Link #82
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am not arguing about reboots; I am arguing about making movies for no other reason than to keep the filming rights. I don't care how many movies they make if they cared about what they made. But to make Spiderman movies because they HAD to, not because they want to, is not a good basis for a long term franchise.
That wasn't quite the point of my post (probably my fault). "Spiderman" has been remade because an audience will go and see a remake. It is as simple as that. Quality need not matter as so long as an audience will see the film anyway. (Personally, I am not going to see the film, or at least I will not pay for a ticket to see the film .)

That being said, of course the studio cares about whether or not the film will make money. They wouldn't sink hundreds of millions of dollars into a film just to retain the copyright (it would have been far easier to make a 20 million dollar Spiderman rather than a 200+ million dollar extravaganza).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 00:13   Link #83
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I understand the argument. My question is, how long do you think they can keep it up? They aren't actually committed to make good movies, or the travesty of Spiderman 3 or Wolverine origins wouldn't have happened. They are just making the films on auto-pilot. Some of the films turn out quite good, but it just seems the higher ups aren't passionate at all about the properties they have.

In short, how many times could they reboot Spiderman?
As long as people keep going to see them (these movies always make their revenue back) the rights aren't going anywhere. Even if flop after flop movie did come out, there are more people willing to see a terrible movie with a megastar like Spider Man anchoring the film, than there are people willing to not tolerate it and simply ignore the film. That's why I can't really complain myself too much, because even if I do I'll probably see the film if it shows a little bit of promise that it might be worth watching.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 12:35   Link #84
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Basically, because we love Spiderman, we'll take anything we're given when it comes to him. That said, Spiderman is riding a wave of success because the first two movies captured the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That wasn't quite the point of my post (probably my fault). "Spiderman" has been remade because an audience will go and see a remake. It is as simple as that. Quality need not matter as so long as an audience will see the film anyway. (Personally, I am not going to see the film, or at least I will not pay for a ticket to see the film .)
And why's that?
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 06:51   Link #85
HasuMasu
*Artist

Exactly, I love Spiderman--this is a ray of hope after Spiderman 3's disaster.
Old 2012-02-10, 07:42   Link #86
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Exactly, I love Spiderman--this is a ray of hope after Spiderman 3's disaster.
Despite everything I said so far, I agree that it would be hard for this reboot to not be an improvement over Spiderman 3.

I just hope they haven't rushed it.
Old 2012-02-10, 19:07   Link #87
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
And why's that?
Well don't know about you but cinema tickets here cost a arm and a leg, reason why I don't go very often anymore.
I'll go for something like The Avengers and maybe this but for a alot of films now, it's too damn costly to go the cinema to watch.
If I don't feel like it then waiting it out and picking up the blu-ray is what I'll do.

Infact I think The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises will probably be the only films I go out to watch atm.
Nothing else comes to mind.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:31   Link #88
killer3000ad

New trailer out.
Old 2012-05-18, 09:47   Link #89
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

4-minute trailer:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-05-18, 09:54   Link #90
HasuMasu
*Artist

Dammit, after I just about forgot the others.
Old 2012-05-19, 19:51   Link #91
Alchemist007
*Author

Doesn't look too horrible...
Old 2012-05-20, 02:28   Link #92
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

http://i.imgur.com/imfM9.gif
Old 2012-05-20, 02:53   Link #93
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Now that is pretty damn cool.
Old 2012-05-20, 08:54   Link #94
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

judging by that new trailer. I guess, secret identities doesn't matter anymore?

lol it doesn't look that bad. I won't watch it in 3D though

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-29, 22:44   Link #95
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I saw a much different preview when I went to see The Avengers and it was a much more badass preview.

I'd like to learn about Peter's missing parents. There was hardly any mention of them at all in Mcguire's movies. So this one looks a little more interesting to me...and there's NO WAY it could be worse than Spiderman 3. XD (which I still enjoyed parts of, tbh )
Old 2012-05-29, 23:50   Link #96
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

If they want to impress me, they'll have Gwen Stacy in one of these Spiderman films, and have Peter accidentally kill her during the Green Goblin crisis.

So far no production company has had the balls to do it, yet.

Edit: I assume that the girl in the trailer is Gwen, since she talks about her father being in the police force, but will she die is my question?
Old 2012-05-30, 00:14   Link #97
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If they want to impress me, they'll have Gwen Stacy in one of these Spiderman films, and have Peter accidentally kill her during the Green Goblin crisis.

So far no production company has had the balls to do it, yet.

Edit: I assume that the girl in the trailer is Gwen, since she talks about her father being in the police force, but will she die is my question?
Don't think it will happen because it'd probably be unpopular with the general public. People don't like to see their (super)heroes failing to such a degree; I mean Green Goblin didn't even kill her--Peter accidentally did.
Old 2012-05-30, 00:45   Link #98
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Don't think it will happen because it'd probably be unpopular with the general public. People don't like to see their (super)heroes failing to such a degree; I mean Green Goblin didn't even kill her--Peter accidentally did.
WHOA for serious!? (I've never read the graphic novels, don't hurt me XD) That is dark! I'd actually like to see a hero majorly f*ck up that badly for once...you know, outside of anime/manga.....

I suppose in America, that's just not allowed in "comic book movies for kids"....
Old 2012-05-30, 02:44   Link #99
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
WHOA for serious!? (I've never read the graphic novels, don't hurt me XD) That is dark! I'd actually like to see a hero majorly f*ck up that badly for once...you know, outside of anime/manga.....

I suppose in America, that's just not allowed in "comic book movies for kids"....
I would also say that her death was accidental (mostly likely caused by a whiplash effect when she was caught by his web when falling) but she would have died anyway if he didn't try to catch her while she was dropped from a bridge.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 09:24   Link #100
GDB

They've said both in comics and out of comics (along with someone who published a book on the physics of the fall) that it was the whiplash from the sudden stop that snapped her neck. Marvel had Spidey go to an alternate reality or something where he could do it over (of course he went back to his own reality afterwards), and he used multiple webs to distribute the impact and she survived. Too bad it didn't help him any, except to feel more guilty over the fact that he could have saved her.

As for the movie, the only main death I'd say is possible is Captain Stacy's. Gwen's death will likely be reserved for movie 2 or 3 of this series, but make no mistake, she will die. That is her claim to fame, unfortunately.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote