AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 12.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 28.79%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-21, 02:10   Link #81
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Whats with all the "Sana could have called the cops" ... why in the world would he want to ? The last thing he would want to is drag them back when they had it bad enough to run away. I can't imagine him informing the police in any way unless his character gets butchered as much as Asami's did ...it makes no sense for him to do so.

That aside, i have little positive to say about this episode. A lot of Nanaka x Sana interactions ... which isn't bad in itself, but given the amount of unresolved issues and characters demanding conclusion, this was simply horrible in terms of time management. A whole lot of nothing important happens trough the whole episode, and only at the very end does it budge in some direction. Considering the twins need some conclusion (unless this indeed is the last we have seen o them), Hinako needs a cameo, Asami and Aoi need something, and the issues of the fire, Sana's past and Nanaka x Sana ... i can't see them reasonably solving that in one episode. Instead we get a half episode of something really pointless, and a lot of Sana x Nanaka.

Except that Sana x Nanaka leaves an awkward taste in my mouth. It feels somewhat forced and ... i dunno, it just doesn't feel natural. The show is using the characters to develop situations, instead of letting situations develop the characters, and Nanaka is the prime example of this. I really can't get my head around her character, as i don't think it has clearly been established what her personality is. One moment she acts all stuck up and unresponsive as a true ice queen, then we have a moe Nanaka running around in the water and giggling ... just because the situation demands it.

More hints at Sana's watch ... except i have given up on a decent explanation on this part. Sana's issues that were portrayed as a rather important fact at first have been pushed to sidelines and become little besides a background decoration to give the situation a "heavy" feel when needed to. We will be lucky to get as much as 5 minutes regarding this issue in the next ep.

Oh well - lets see how they wrap the huge amounts of unresolved plotlines up ... though i don't have much in terms of high expectations.
Old 2007-12-21, 02:20   Link #82
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqube View Post
I need to go play the game now because the anime so far is not at all fulfilling. It had potential, but now there is no chance for a comeback. Episode 12 was a let down.
I have this sudden urge to reply "It's a trap! They designed the series this way to make you do just that!"

This episode would have been better if it wasn't the second to the last episode, as it was pretty mellow in nature compared to the last few episodes. Also it seems like they're really rushing the ending with Nanaka/Sana. I mean, what does that watch symbolize?

Also they left poor Asami to rot in the hospital. lol

The next episode better have the biggest shocker ever, a really well-designed super dramatic moment, or the happiest ending I've ever seen.
Old 2007-12-21, 03:44   Link #83
DanielSong39

At least this episode wasn't a total loss; it encouraged me to start following ef ~ a tale of memories. Enjoying the show so far.

I actually hope that the game will have the messed-up scenarios only hinted at in the anime. Will there be a Shuri path for Shuu? Will Nanaka go insane in the Asami path, and resort to fire? Will Grandma Kaji actually succeed in making a human sacrifice? Is there a sakura tree that grants wishes and causes unfortunate victims to cough up sakura petals?

Oh, the possibilities.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-12-21 at 04:19.
Old 2007-12-21, 03:57   Link #84
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
This episode would have been better if it wasn't the second to the last episode.
Yeah, how about episode 3? It at least would have made a lot more sense (at least the Nanaka part). If the writers had used episode 2 to clear up the misunderstanding that led to the slap in episode 1 (the one-night stand theory was as good as any), the visit to the river/cave could've made for a decent episode 3. Then they could have built further on the Nanaka storyline as the series moved along...

It's all water under the bridge now, so I might as well stick around for one more episode. Maybe Shuu and Shuri will send out the wedding invitations and give this series a happy ending.
Old 2007-12-21, 04:47   Link #85
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
I have this sudden urge to reply "It's a trap!
A trap?! Are you saying that Nanaka is actually a...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-21, 05:56   Link #86
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Yeah, how about episode 3? It at least would have made a lot more sense (at least the Nanaka part). If the writers had used episode 2 to clear up the misunderstanding that led to the slap in episode 1 (the one-night stand theory was as good as any), the visit to the river/cave could've made for a decent episode 3. Then they could have built further on the Nanaka storyline as the series moved along...

It's all water under the bridge now, so I might as well stick around for one more episode. Maybe Shuu and Shuri will send out the wedding invitations and give this series a happy ending.
ep 3? The series is pretty much about (or the concept of the series) how nanaka comes to term with her past, yadda yadda - it's just that the execution was rather half assed and been put on cold ice for too long. Too much time wasted on "fillers" even if hinako is loli love ^^

You really do love this series, good thing my expectations wern't as high

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-12-21, 06:03   Link #87
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

It feels as tho its been cut down dramatically to fit in with only the allowance of 13 episodes, and dont you people find it wierd as the series is ending on episode 13 NOT 14 which is the most common number to end, so does this mean will we get a sad episode as its the number 13 (the unlucky number).
Old 2007-12-21, 06:09   Link #88
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
It feels as tho its been cut down dramatically to fit in with only the allowance of 13 episodes, and dont you people find it wierd as the series is ending on episode 13 NOT 14 which is the most common number to end.
Actually 14 is not the most common number for a 1 kour series to end. That honor would probably go to 12 and second place goes to 13. You've simply happened to see an unusual percentage of 14 episode series.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-21, 06:12   Link #89
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually 14 is not the most common number for a 1 kour series to end. That honor would probably go to 12 and second place goes to 13. You've simply happened to see an unusual percentage of 14 episode series.
Oh right because i have seen quite a few 12's but tones of 14's and was wondering if 13 was a symbol of something to come, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 2007-12-21, 07:06   Link #90
FuzzyWuzzy

K I can offer an explanation but before that, I want to say something first.
The whole anime has 13 episodes. They did a pretty good job of character development even though this series only has 13 episodes. 13 episodes!!!

Ok now about the watch and Nanaka's past. There is one simple way they could all fit together. We all know the watch symbolizes a tragedy in Sana's past. It could be suicide, murder, accident or whatever. I think Sana could have prevented that tragedy and he is feeling guilty about it. He probably even moved back to his old home town just to escape the trauma he experienced.

Nanaka is heading in a very dark direction. She might even kill herself or something bad might happen to her. In order for Sana to find peace and for Nanaka to find peace, Sana needs to redeem himself for his past shortcomings and find a way to save Nanaka. When that happens, it will be happily ever after.

Then there will be a time skip, we will see the twins and they are doing good or the episode will introduce a letter saying they are ok and all that stuff.

TRUST ME!! I'm always wrong about this sort of stuff
Oh btw, shuu and shuuri won't be together the way you guys are imagining them to be together. The classmates they have are saying that they were seen in a hotel and they ran away together to fall in love, etc. So to make those allegations incorrect, they will not be together.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2007-12-21 at 07:20.
Old 2007-12-21, 09:22   Link #91
changeup

[QUOTE=Skyfall;1307227]
Except that Sana x Nanaka leaves an awkward taste in my mouth. It feels somewhat forced and ... i dunno, it just doesn't feel natural. The show is using the characters to develop situations, instead of letting situations develop the characters, and Nanaka is the prime example of this. I really can't get my head around her character, as i don't think it has clearly been established what her personality is. One moment she acts all stuck up and unresponsive as a true ice queen, then we have a moe Nanaka running around in the water and giggling ... just because the situation demands it.
/QUOTE]

This is called a round character... real people are like this, showing different aspects of their personality according to the situation. Unfortunately there have been too many flat characters (talking about even and especially masterpieces from KyotoAni like Kanon, Clannad, Lucky Star...) in animes that when one does not look like one, people feel really uncomfortable.
Old 2007-12-21, 14:17   Link #92
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Whats with all the "Sana could have called the cops" ... why in the world would he want to ? The last thing he would want to is drag them back when they had it bad enough to run away. I can't imagine him informing the police in any way unless his character gets butchered as much as Asami's did ...it makes no sense for him to do so.

That aside, i have little positive to say about this episode. A lot of Nanaka x Sana interactions ... which isn't bad in itself, but given the amount of unresolved issues and characters demanding conclusion, this was simply horrible in terms of time management. A whole lot of nothing important happens trough the whole episode, and only at the very end does it budge in some direction. Considering the twins need some conclusion (unless this indeed is the last we have seen o them), Hinako needs a cameo, Asami and Aoi need something, and the issues of the fire, Sana's past and Nanaka x Sana ... i can't see them reasonably solving that in one episode. Instead we get a half episode of something really pointless, and a lot of Sana x Nanaka.

More hints at Sana's watch ... except i have given up on a decent explanation on this part. Sana's issues that were portrayed as a rather important fact at first have been pushed to sidelines and become little besides a background decoration to give the situation a "heavy" feel when needed to. We will be lucky to get as much as 5 minutes regarding this issue in the next ep.

Oh well - lets see how they wrap the huge amounts of unresolved plotlines up ... though i don't have much in terms of high expectations.
I see no conviencing way to wrap this series up without anything feeling forced. Too many characters need conclusions and too many characters need follow ups. Nanaka's past alone will surely take majority of the episode not leaving room for anything else. Even though i dislike Aoi's voice she too needs something. As SKyfall stated if they plan on hating on twins and just not during a follow up with them well thats just sad. All in all i feel that this was poorly planned for a story that had great potential. A 13 episode series should not take on difficult undertones and complex stories unless they have a good outline on how to fit all the material in without it feeling shoved down the viewers throats. There were no fillers wanted nor needed for the series talk about dropping the ball at the end. Sigh such a disappointment.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2007-12-21 at 15:22. Reason: Left out a word DUH
Old 2007-12-21, 15:03   Link #93
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I see conviencing way to wrap this series up without anything feeling forced. Too many characters need conclusions and too many characters need follow ups. Nanaka's past alone will surely take majority of the episode not leaving room for anything else. Even though i dislike Aoi's voice she too needs something. As SKyfall stated if they plan on hating on twins and just not during a follow up with them well thats just sad. All in all i feel that this was poorly planned for a story that had great potential. A 13 episode series should not take on difficult undertones and complex stories unless they have a good outline on how to fit all the material in without it feeling shoved down the viewers throats. There were no fillers wanted nor needed for the series talk about dropping the ball at the end. Sigh such a disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

Great theory Skyfall,I Agree with you about the Character Development, but then again they have shown quite alot about the past to be honest, yeah its really false and somewhat quickened up but i would rather have a hint of the past because i think anime episodes should focus of the present rather than the past (like Lost, every episode is a flashback episode which just annoys me)
Now im trying to think back to try to remember any great things that happened and i can't think of any i have found most of what goes on to be boring and overused like eating scenes and trips to somewhere, they should of had maybe an odd episode about the past so that its not taking over the storyline, they should of taken a look at Kanon 2006 at how to make a storyline gripping because this one is to a point but i feel like most of the bits i remember is just the past and makes this defently feel really rushes, i'm really surprised by the decision of making the anime 13 episodes.. why whats the point at least give 24 and then it would make the viewers feel connected to the characters and story, If they were trying to a 13 episode on a romance herem genre they should of looked at Kimikiss as that to me feels like it could end around now and its on episode 12 the same amount as M;Y, it feels as it can end as it has no flashbacks and doesnt waste time on the past if they wanted to do that they should of gone for 24 or even more.
Old 2007-12-21, 15:50   Link #94
changeup

Kimikiss is not a 13-episode anime, I think. It will suspend broadcast during the final week of this year, and restarts a week after that. So it's pretty safe to say Kimikiss's story will be carried to the next season... (I personally feel it is a pain to watch that show now, although the seiyu talent is hard for me to give it up...)
Old 2007-12-21, 15:53   Link #95
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
Kimikiss is not a 13-episode anime, I think. It will suspend broadcast during the final week of this year, and restarts a week after that. So it's pretty safe to say Kimikiss's story will be carried to the next season... (I personally feel it is a pain to watch that show now, although the seiyu talent is hard for me to give it up...)
I dont think he was saying Kimikiss is 13 episodes. I beleive what Changup is saying is that Kimikiss has done such a great job with character development and presenting the material it could easily be a 12 or 13 episode series. Unlike Myself Youself that has rushed everything threw in fillers that served no purpose and has taken away from the overall story line. While Kimikiss has not had any fillers every episode there has been some type of character development. So when the end comes we would have had all the build and would have been emotionally invested in the characters.
Old 2007-12-21, 18:41   Link #96
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

I finally watched this ep and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed... Like Skyfall said, this ep suffered major pacing problems... I mean I felt two ep was already pushing it, trying to resolve both Sana's and Nanaka's mystery. I thought at least we'd resolve one of the mysteries this ep and leave the last one for the final ep. Instead we got SanaXNanaka which isn't bad by the way...

When I wa watching this ep, I felt they wasted alot of time on pointless scenes, like the one with Sana talking to his teacher (some may find a point in that, but I felt it was pointless).. That really long dialogue between Aoi and her mother was pointless to, not to mention I was getting use to not hearing her voice...

The SanaXNanaka interaction was probably the highligh for this ep, although I didn't really see it as one. I was hoping for at least a confession of love between the two, if the fire or wristwatch mystery wasn't resolved. Well Nanaka, did confess, at least I think she did, cause that scene was really way to casual....

Either Sana and Nanaka has already become an unofficial couple or that was the worst confession scene I have ever seen....

The preview for next ep, seems mainly focused on Nanaka's story, which means that we'll not resolve that wristwatch of Sana's. That kind of ticks me off since everyone here has been speculation like mad about what it could be, only to end up never finding out if they are right unless they play the game.
Old 2007-12-21, 22:17   Link #97
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I dont think he was saying Kimikiss is 13 episodes. I beleive what Changup is saying is that Kimikiss has done such a great job with character development and presenting the material it could easily be a 12 or 13 episode series. Unlike Myself Youself that has rushed everything threw in fillers that served no purpose and has taken away from the overall story line. While Kimikiss has not had any fillers every episode there has been some type of character development. So when the end comes we would have had all the build and would have been emotionally invested in the characters.
Agreed. I think ReizoSan hit the nail on the head when he brought up Kimikiss. It hasn't been the most innovative or dramatic of stories, but its strength lies in its execution. Having three main protagonists (I include Mao as one of three "male" leads) has allowed Kimikiss's writers to easily move from arc to arc in a single episode, and intersect those arcs whenever they feel necessary. It also seems to allow us to focus more on the characters and their interactions and less on a series of short but heavy and intense arcs. Although the themes are decidedly high school, it plays like a more mature work.

Myself;Yourself deals with more mature themes (character assassination, lousy parenting, attempted murder, arson, etc.), but I'm finding its execution to be bottom heavy and chaotic. Given where we are and the fact that the show only has twelve episodes, you would think there would be a greater attempt to deal with the male and (what I assume to be) the female leads stories, and an awkward, mad dash to tie up loose ends. I didn't even see that in Episode 11 until the very end. I assume we saw the beginning of the series' climax. Tacked on the end of this particular episode, it seemed forced and (again) bottom heavy.
Old 2007-12-21, 23:48   Link #98
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

At this point, I'll accept a Hinako x Sana ending as the most reasonable ending. As she had the most spotlight in the entire series.
Old 2007-12-21, 23:58   Link #99
changeup

Is that legal? Or is that moral? For that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
At this point, I'll accept a Hinako x Sana ending as the most reasonable ending. As she had the most spotlight in the entire series.
Old 2007-12-22, 05:46   Link #100
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
I was just mentioning Kimikiss as an example, they have done great character development and also a great storyline, At the moment they are on episode 12 and they could end it at 13 as they have done a great job with the story and putting quite a bit of background information in 12 episodes, but i feel that Myself;yourself hasn't and needs to have at least another series with 13 again but they wont do this.Kimikiss was said to have 26 episodes but now on wikipedia it's changed to displaying nothing so im not sure how many they have to go.
Closed Thread