1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-21, 05:05   Link #81
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dithar View Post
Is falling from the cliff due to the sheer force of the boss's wings flapping a normal happening?

At least I don't remember any raid having a mechanic like that. This is because "reality' right?
Bosses have knock-back abilities since forever, it's just that this one is presented as flapping it's wings.
Old 2014-10-21, 05:18   Link #82
Ickarium

One of the first bosses in WoW, Ragnaros (the one down below, not the one in the Firelands) had an attack that knocks you high in the air. Falling could be a bitch.
Old 2014-10-21, 05:30   Link #83
Gundamx

Lick King (have that skill too)

but worse one for me was Titan from FFXIV
(one mistake and you are out )

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-10-21, 06:23   Link #84
Spica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
One of the first bosses in WoW, Ragnaros (the one down below, not the one in the Firelands) had an attack that knocks you high in the air. Falling could be a bitch.
Oh I remember these kind of mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Bosses have knock-back abilities since forever, it's just that this one is presented as flapping it's wings.
I know about knock-backs I just don't have the pleasure of falling from a cliff . Then again my MMO days weren't exactly long.

Any way what happen to those who fall in EP3? (including Nao and tetora).
Old 2014-10-21, 06:53   Link #85
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I love that kind of Mechanic. No matter how high your level are. If you are retard and get caught up in skill like that. The fall will still likely kill you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dithar View Post
Any way what happen to those who fall in EP3? (including Nao and tetora).
Respawn at raid entrance I believe ?
It is unlikely that any healer can rez them
Old 2014-10-21, 07:01   Link #86
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
There is also a scene where Naotsugu and Tetra complain why they don't fly there. Shiroe had to explain that not all members have flying mount and William want to use this time to get accustom to new raid members & formation. So yea the journey do take quite awhile.

I think that is exactly why DDD is still messing around with Goblin raid (lvl30 ? lvl50 ?) They are not ready yet. Silver sword goes we aren't a wimp. We will aim for a big thing. Classic error.
That's exactly fair, Silver Sword in it's current situation didn't aim for anything, they understaffed and doesn't have backing of crafting and trading guilds. They wouldn't even consider raid if not for Shiroe explicit request. Another factor is involving more people would bring greater chance for Intel leakage.
Old 2014-10-21, 08:36   Link #87
unpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I dont think i could imagine doing first person raid content, especially with memory at stake, how about you guys?

If you are there will you guys just lounge around like those akiba guys or keep doing high end raid, just in case there is clue to discover the truth about the world...

Or maybe just travel / explore the world like kanami
I might do some raiding, but I'd mostly love to explore the world. It's a fictional world basically come to life, and I'd now practically be immortal. The big thing people worry about is dying and losing memories... you die, you lose experience. Not a new concept. But here's the thing: we lose memories every day. For me, it's a fair trade off for the sort of power and freedom being an adventurer will give me. If my brother was stuck in the world with me (like Tohya and Minori), we probably wouldn't care if we returned to the real world.
Old 2014-10-21, 17:08   Link #88
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

I rechecked the effectifs of the big guild in episode 9 of season 1, Silver Sword is at 220 members, DDD is at 1534, with the loss of motivation i can see how it can be difficult for Silver Sword to farm lower level raid.
Old 2014-10-21, 23:21   Link #89
unpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I rechecked the effectifs of the big guild in episode 9 of season 1, Silver Sword is at 220 members, DDD is at 1534, with the loss of motivation i can see how it can be difficult for Silver Sword to farm lower level raid.
i thought they just said William doesn't want them farming low level raids?
Old 2014-10-22, 00:38   Link #90
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpossible View Post
i thought they just said William doesn't want them farming low level raids?
There are some that just got up and left, and there are some that only want to farm lower raids.

There are multiple issues, one of which is that without fairy rings they can't really do that many raids in general. So anything decently hard...is very small core people.

Since Silver Sword is a elite raiding guild, naturally people don't like moving towards a "casual" direction, and friction happens anyway.

What's the point of being silver swords if you're not going to clear new content.
Old 2014-10-25, 08:15   Link #91
SQA

I'm a little late to this, but a few responses to things that cropped up.

Everquest 1 had instanced raid content before Everquest 2 launched, but it also had fixed dungeons for most of its years. (Everquest had bits of Instancing in different places starting in 2003) Though there's not really much to suggest it's actually instanced.

Raid Management, even at the high-end, is truly far more about logistics & planning, long before you ever get to the event, than just the strategy you'll be applying to the event. (And Lord help the idiot that triggers a raid event early the first time you're even seeing it)

As for the disadvantages of being, well, "in-person" for a raid, that's a little different. You lack all of the modern tricks, so this is very much an old-school approach to the raids, but these are plenty of tricks available to deal with content like that. Mental notes collected from all of the members, generally works pretty well for aggregating during rebuffing periods. (And credit to Commie subs for knowing to use "Tank & Spank")

Don't underestimate me on this point. In the old days of raiding, there were a lot of tricks. We did everything from have someone listen to the sound a Raid Boss used when casting a spell for movement calls, all the way to running a Raid Boss around in a circle for a full hour to figure out spell timing. This was a lot of the fun of Everquest raiding: nothing was given to you, so you had to work hard to come up with ways to deal with the problem. So, truthfully, being in-person isn't that much of a hindrance. Sure, modern video, log parsing and other modern approaches would be nice for them, but given the reload time for attempts, it's less of an issue. Having specific classes collect specific information & the ability to watch a fight directly, with your eyes as a camera, is a pretty solid way to analyze raids.

In told, though, eps 2 & 3 gave a very good overview to the functional aspects of raiding. Everything from proper Group Formation (so utterly underrated by most Raid Leaders) to Trash Clearing and Iterated Raid learning. As a long-time bleeding edge raider, I can say it was really well done.

Though the one way in which Log Horizon's world is much more like the very early days of MMO raiding, that's probably lost on most, is it used to take a LONG time between attempts at a Raid Boss. Modern MMOs let you get back in action in just a few minutes. In the "early days", since they were all D&D clones, it really took a very long time. 2-3 attempts over 5 hours wasn't unheard of. Now you can get that done in maybe 45 minutes (or less) in modern MMO content. Makes a massive difference in the time it takes to complete a raid.
Old 2014-10-25, 09:16   Link #92
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Some games still have strict entry requirements, usually stuff like quest items from a daily quest which you have to clear every time before a raid attempt or (more commonly) a limit on the attempts per player, even once per day - which means dc is a bitch :P

Awesome episode, I LOVE the raid dungeon map...it's three huuuuge floors with traps and monsters everywhere, plus a maze layout! If they really do clear this, Shiroe deserves that infinite money...and maybe a top-tier item to bring back to Akatsuki as a souvenir

Speaking of which, this episode introduced skill ranks. I assume the top dogs all have at least hidden-rank skills, but it should be pretty hard for casual players to reach even that...so I wonder, how rare will the teachings be and by what factor would they increase a skill's power? (and, of course, who would be able to get their entire main kit to teachings-tier when getting even one of them is legendary?)
Old 2014-10-25, 10:22   Link #93
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
teachings
No, please. It's better called an Overskill, as in the official.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-10-27, 08:03   Link #94
Hmm....

I do agree that Overskill sound cooler and all. However, I find that called it "teaching" would be more accurate for what it really is. Still, I wish they could find better word for it (not that I can suggest one lol)
Old 2014-10-27, 08:37   Link #95
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

There's a good reason why they're called Overskills, which I expect would be revealed soon in the upcoming episodes. It would probably also be a just-as-good explanation why the term "teachings" would fail to describe their essence.

Signature by liro
Closed Thread